Post-Game Talk: Sunshine and Yams

Shaquille Oatmeal

Tier 2 Fan
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2015
An exact mirror with 55% of the points who was barely noticeable tonight at his own rink.

looks like its the end of posters here telling me Drai can't carry Barkovs jockstrap.

Are people finally getting just how good Drai is and how he's leaped over the league?

German Gretzky indeed. Nobody thinks the game better offensively.

Look at the empty net goal for fun. Leon does 3 things there, pressures puck, gets into the right space, quickly shows shoot, then just redirects the puck to Yama for a wide open shot on goal. I mean just one play but Drai is playing with the NHL and should've had 5 pts tonight. If any of Nuge, Khaira, or even Yama finished their other chances. Drai is making so many plays happen its crazy.
You literally predicted this years ago. It came to fruition. I thought you were crazy but you were right. And its awesome!

LMFAO

May 20, 2010
Didnt see the game

How was Benson ? He played 12min which is decent.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
He was tonight, and has been good for about a month now. If he manages to continue to take little steps into the playoffs, he's gonna be a huge difference maker for us back there.
This is demented. He's on pace for like 7 or 8 points. There hasn't been a player in the history of the NHL who made any sort of difference, let alone a huge difference putting up 7 or 8 points in a season.

To call his play so far this year anything but embarrassing would be wrong. He has shown glimpses in the past of being a good third pairing guy. He is being outplayed by the likes of Matt Benning and Caleb Jones. He is a mess, and unfortunately it's probably due to the tragic event that occured in his life not long ago. Hope he puts it together because I was huge on him coming over, but damn...he has been brutal.

Reactions: npanciroli

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Didnt see the game

How was Benson ? He played 12min which is decent.

Shaky at first, but you could see huge improvements in his comfort level every shift. Had a few good offensive shifts including a power move to the front where he almost scored.

Not great, but overall a good game to build on. Interesting to see if he gets in tomorrow, and on which line. On one hand we have a history of not changing the lineup after a win, on the other it's a back to back and the coach might want someone who can play a more shutdown role with Archi and Sheahan tomorrow.

I think Benson had a much much much better game than Khaira, Russell, and Cave though, so even if he's not on the sheahan line today, I'd like to see him somewhere.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
This is demented. He's on pace for like 7 or 8 points. There hasn't been a player in the history of the NHL who made any sort of difference, let alone a huge difference putting up 7 or 8 points in a season.

To call his play so far this year anything but embarrassing would be wrong. He has shown glimpses in the past of being a good third pairing guy. He is being outplayed by the likes of Matt Benning and Caleb Jones. He is a mess, and unfortunately it's probably due to the tragic event that occured in his life not long ago. Hope he puts it together because I was huge on him coming over, but damn...he has been brutal.

Yeah, he's been bad with flashes of being good, and this last month has been far more good than bad. If you don't think having a Dman who heavily punishes everyone he comes in contact with is a big difference maker in a 7 game playoff series, you're nuts.

I'm not saying he'd be our best Dman, MVP, or anything like that, but having him and Nurse back there imposing their will on teams will be big for us come playoff time.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
I was flying home during the game, heard the last two periods by streaming CHED on my phone. Jack Michaels told stories and occassionally did play-by-play for 40 minutes. I wanted to jump out of the plane.

He must be auditioning to become the next "Paul Harvey, now you know the rest of the story" story teller radio personality. Visually, it wasn't a boring game.

McXLNC97

Mar 20, 2007
B.C.
An exact mirror with 55% of the points who was barely noticeable tonight at his own rink.

looks like its the end of posters here telling me Drai can't carry Barkovs jockstrap.

Are people finally getting just how good Drai is and how he's leaped over the league?

German Gretzky indeed. Nobody thinks the game better offensively.

Look at the empty net goal for fun. Leon does 3 things there, pressures puck, gets into the right space, quickly shows shoot, then just redirects the puck to Yama for a wide open shot on goal. I mean just one play but Drai is playing with the NHL and should've had 5 pts tonight. If any of Nuge, Khaira, or even Yama finished their other chances. Drai is making so many plays happen its crazy.

Lol...this guy still can't resist taking shots at Yamamoto. Some things just never change.

Reactions: Balakay14 and TB12

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Yeah, he's been bad with flashes of being good, and this last month has been far more good than bad. If you don't think having a Dman who heavily punishes everyone he comes in contact with is a big difference maker in a 7 game playoff series, you're nuts.

I'm not saying he'd be our best Dman, MVP, or anything like that, but having him and Nurse back there imposing their will on teams will be big for us come playoff time.
Sure, at this point I'd be comfortable with him playing bottom pairing minutes and laying his body on the line. He has potentiality for physicality, but that's rarely seen isn't it? He has thrown one big hit all year, maybe two? He isn't as physical as some of us Oilers fans like to claim. I'd be much happier with him learning how to make a pass before seeing him light people up regularly. He is detrimental to the team when he's on the ice for the most part.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
You get this team a winger for McDavid and a 3C and we could push the Blues in the conference finals, IMO.

I honestly think we'd stand a really good chance with just another winger for Mcdavid. The #3C would be big too, but I think spreading the scoring to two lines would be even more impactful overall. Good luck containing both lines even in a playoff game.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
You get this team a winger for McDavid and a 3C and we could push the Blues in the conference finals, IMO.
I mostly agree. I think we really could if Bouchard comes up here and excels similarly to how Yams has. If we could add another breakout pass on our defence, from 1 (Bear) to 2 (Bear, Bouchard) ... that would be critical. It would reduce defensive zone time drastically.

A Bouchard coming in, a solid centreman, and a scoring winger a la Toffoli/Kovy/etc would make a massive difference. Maybe too much to ask for, but it's sort of reasonable? Ideally we add three more wingers though...

Reactions: Balakay14

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
Sure, at this point I'd be comfortable with him playing bottom pairing minutes and laying his body on the line. He has potentiality for physicality, but that's rarely seen isn't it? He has thrown one big hit all year, maybe two? He isn't as physical as some of us Oilers fans like to claim. I'd be much happier with him learning how to make a pass before seeing him light people up regularly. He is detrimental to the team when he's on the ice for the most part.

Larsson is one of the most aggressive guys on the team when it comes to board battles. Every time he goes into the corner with someone I'm afraid he's going to come out with a penalty because of how much he's cross checking, slashing, etc. Big hits are great, but you aren't gonna line a guy up more than a couple times a game if you're insanely lucky. Punishing the guys in the way larsson does when they battle for the puck is the way to break them down over a series, and to make them think twice about going back into that battle with you. It's not about lighting people up, it's about breaking them down, and he's excellent at it.

His overall game needs work, but like I said he's heating up at the right time and if he can continue to improve into the playoffs, he's going to be a warrior.

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
He was tonight, and has been good for about a month now. If he manages to continue to take little steps into the playoffs, he's gonna be a huge difference maker for us back there.
I still see us attacking him because of a shitty game once in a while. I’m not getting fooled because of a good game here and there.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019
I still see us attacking him because of a ****ty game once in a while. I’m not getting fooled because of a good game here and there.

Nobody is saying he's a top pairing Dman, or even as good as he was before, but the fact that he's stepped it up since the new year especially with the race getting so tight going into the playoffs is a good sign.

Maverick41

Cold-blooded Jelly Doughnut
Sponsor
Nov 9, 2005
Germany
Yeah he literally did nothing positive. Multiple turnovers, whiffed on a wide open rebound on the 2 on 1. Got his ass beat down in the fight.

Oh come on. He had some promising moments like on that penalty kill ..... aaaand then they were gone.

What I mean is there were multiple (at least 2) moments when I was about to say something positive about Jujhar, and then he messed it up.
So he was almost not bad on a few occasions.

oilynutz

Dec 30, 2007
Seeing some people question Larsson's effectiveness after a game like that makes me wonder about the collective hockey IQ of some of the posters here.

Larsson is a f***ing horse, nobody on the team is close to as the effective at blowing up the cycle as him. Dmen like him are the difference between contenders and pretenders.

McDeepika

Aug 14, 2004
Top line was amazing again but not sure they can keep carrying us like this.

Not sure how to get another line going with what we have. I am liking Archibalds game. He is causing some chaos. Not sure who we could pair him with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad