Post-Game Talk: Sunday morning Bruins 2019 NHL draft thread

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
As noted in today's Scouting Post article,

2019 NHL Draft: Bruins take 4 on Day 2- On the long-range plan

there appears to be a sensible plan as far as allowing their 2019 draftees to develop over a longer period of time without having to make decisions on them any time soon. And, not having to pay them $$ while more NHL ready prospects join the big club.

It's ho hum, but I get it.

I do think the Bruins better address the center position in a more aggressive way. John Beecher may be a decent all round player, but he's not the answer.

In the Chiarelli era, the Bruins were built up the middle and on D. Hope that trend continues.

And they'd better beef up, too.

True, Patrice Bergeron & David Krejci aren't going to be around forever. The time to find replacements (if they want to do it through the draft) is now.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
I liked the first 3 picks,the Finn I'm meh about but as Dom stated elsewhere he's in a good spot for development, last pick is the last pick...however he's got good size but is very light, doesn't report to College till 2020 so time is on his side.
This was the 3rd out of 5 years with no CHL players were chosen, at this point safe to say Boston's development model conflicts with the CHL's
A large portion of those CHL players were chosen in 2015, two months after Sweeney replaced Chia.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I liked the first 3 picks,the Finn I'm meh about but as Dom stated elsewhere he's in a good spot for development, last pick is the last pick...however he's got good size but is very light, doesn't report to College till 2020 so time is on his side.
This was the 3rd out of 5 years with no CHL players were chosen, at this point safe to say Boston's development model conflicts with the CHL's

Guessing Nadeau and Axelsson have the most pull right now. I’d give Malkoc some more higher picks

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I cant remember the last time they said we had a good draft, a good trade deadline, or a good ufa signing

Last i checked weve been in finals 3 of last 9 years

Im happy we dont listed to those self described experts

Lets our idiot front office people keep making these reaches even if we are still waiting for marchand and krug to pan out i guess

That pastrnak kid was a smart pass by everyone before we took a chance on his falling stock too i guess

And coyle/johansson at the deadline was a joke right... they said we didnt get anything there too

Honestly are we really still listening to the crap they say about us? Theyve proven they are bozos so many times. The consenses falls to the lowest common denominator and when evaluated a year later is the weakest link

I have no clue if our picks will work out this year other than i know our team is best at drafting and developing in entire nhl. I trust our guys more than i trust the idiot consensus sheep rabble

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
i'm getting the long range portion of this, but when bradley said (paraphrasing), "our list got down toward
the end and we got scrambling a little", maybe the best course of action is trading for a 7th next year instead
of taking a plug like schmaltz when you're "scrambling". just my 2 cents.

i think the C is pretty fair - i may have gone C- myself.

brink was my guy in round 1. after that, ethan keppen and a number of guys in round 3,
but i like olson as a player. the late rounds is a total dartboard.

Reactions: Strafer

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
Since we have so many experts would be good to look back on

1-30- F Arthur Kaliyev- Hamilton OHL
3-92- D Jordan Spence- Moncton- QMJHL
5-154- F Patrick Moynihan- USDP
6-185- F Nikola Pasic- Sweden
7-192- F Bryce Brodzinski- USHS

*Should say Sunday Morning QB

I really wanted kaliyev or lavoie so add lavoie to that list lol

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
For better or worse, the Bruins have an organizational philosophy. That philosophy seems to be working for them.

If you're not reliably competitive... if you're not interested in trying to play a 200-foot game... if you're not a plus skater... then Don Sweeney is probably not going to use a high pick to draft you.

If you have an identity that's working, you stick with it until you have a reason to change.

They drafted Frederic whose biggest knock is his skating ability.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Since we have so many experts would be good to look back on

1-30- F Arthur Kaliyev- Hamilton OHL
3-92- D Jordan Spence- Moncton- QMJHL
5-154- F Patrick Moynihan- USDP
6-185- F Nikola Pasic- Sweden
7-192- F Bryce Brodzinski- USHS

*Should say Sunday Morning QB
Wow

You nailed both my 92 & 154

I texted the boys I wanted Spence - was out shopping at 154 but with a name like Patrick Moynihan come on Bruins

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
They drafted Frederic whose biggest knock is his skating ability.
He’s a good skater though

Obviously we all saw him in Boston but at DC I thought he was good and in Providence in live action he was good

I have 0.0 issues with Frederic skating- actually it’s pretty good

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
I agree but you still need a panarin type to pop one in overtime and that's what killed us in the finals this year. Game 2 was the dagger. We need more scoring skilled prospects. I love beecher but wish we could have got a 2nd round pick from Ottawa and got lavoie.

Kind of funny that the poster boy for your “skill” argument (Panarin) went undrafted and signed as a FA :laugh:

Reactions: Rumpy

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
He’s a good skater though

Obviously we all saw him in Boston but at DC I thought he was good and in Providence in live action he was good

I have 0.0 issues with Frederic skating- actually it’s pretty good

Beecher is a better skater than Frederic, but Trent doesn’t move badly for a guy his size.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Seriously. I wouldn't put any stock into what the main boards thinks of the Bruins in general. There appears to be a knee-jerk loathing of the organization from a lot of posters over there.
There were Main Thread in October 2017 the Bruins run was over they were a lottery team

The OP said they were to old citing Chara - always Chara

They finished with 112 points

They are waiting and waiting

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Beecher is a better skater than Frederic, but Trent doesn’t move badly for a guy his size.
I put Frederic as pretty good

Above good

No issues at all

My viewing in Providence is he’s a shooting center who goes hard to the net not overly creative

Strong defensively and tough

He’s got a good shot and he likes scoring and tracking and banging in the dirty areas a guy who can get you around 20

Last edited:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
For better or worse, the Bruins have an organizational philosophy. That philosophy seems to be working for them.

If you're not reliably competitive... if you're not interested in trying to play a 200-foot game... if you're not a plus skater... then Don Sweeney is probably not going to use a high pick to draft you.

If you have an identity that's working, you stick with it until you have a reason to change.
If they reup Krug their defense with health should be set for a handful of years

If they reup Coyle coupled with recent big bodied center based picks they are in a good position slot 2-4 center wise

I think they will draft skill guys specifically on the wing

I don’t see them straying at all from their Defenseman check list/blue print but wingers they will look for it

With health 4 of the Blues top
6 wingers were skill guys - Schwartz Tarasenko Perron Thomas

Maroon is a mucker and Blais runs around

Boston needs one more young guy with Robert Thomas upside ~ very well could be Studnicka who has good hands and sees the ice well

I’m a huge Thomas guy and Studnicka is different but there might be something

Getting greedy but I’d love to see him be a Keith Crowder type

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
i'm getting the long range portion of this, but when bradley said (paraphrasing), "our list got down toward
the end and we got scrambling a little", maybe the best course of action is trading for a 7th next year instead
of taking a plug like schmaltz when you're "scrambling". just my 2 cents.

i think the C is pretty fair - i may have gone C- myself.

brink was my guy in round 1. after that, ethan keppen and a number of guys in round 3,
but i like olson as a player. the late rounds is a total dartboard.

Wings nabbed their goalie pick before imo

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
If they reup Krug their defense with health should be set for a handful of years

If they reup Coyle coupled with recent big bodied center based picks they are in a good position slot 2-4 center wise

I think they will draft skill guys specifically on the wing

I don’t see them straying at all from their Defenseman check list/blue print but wingers they will look for it

With health 4 of the Blues top
6 wingers were skill guys - Schwartz Tarasenko Perron Thomas

Maroon is a mucker and Blais runs around

Boston needs one more young guy with Robert Thomas upside ~ very well could be Studnicka who has good hands and sees the ice well

I’m a huge Thomas guy and Studnicka is different but there might be something

Getting greedy but I’d love to see him be a Keith Crowder type

Good post. Look what Sanford did for them when elevated. Barbashev and Sundqvist were menaces. Perron and Blais crashed the net..

Reactions: Strafer and DKH

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Good post. Look what Sanford did for them when elevated. Barbashev and Sundqvist were menaces. Perron and Blais crashed the net..
All this talk about the big bag Blues is nonsense

They are balanced but more skilled then physical

They didn’t make a lifestyle change they made a temporary adjustment when presented with a short term specific goal for a Month

Next year they won’t be hitting much - no need for a kale diet and 6 days to the gym. They got their ring, time to get back to the occasional Wendy’s 4 for $4

I traded you Barbashev last week in the SIM - I been watching him since his 2014 draft I know his style very well

He’s not a dirty player by nature but for a month he incorporated ‘the excuse me open ice accidental kill shot’ that would bring tears to Steve Ott’s Eyes

When the Blues came to Boston the past couple years I would focus on Barbashev like I was scouting him for a write up

He was never ever dirty - honest, played clean and not very physical

Heck, he got banged around pretty good right infront of me

But these playoff games he was not that guy - he was running around, hitting very high in the body - even going in tall on his hits

I like Sanford- he also played physical- was good in college will be interesting to see what he becomes

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
View attachment 239703

What am I missing here? Not tight on contracts or the reserve. Is the implication that they need to stagger future contracts?
My first impression too but wouldn't that be the case with almost any players that they drafted? On second thought if players aren't expected here for 2-3 years I can see that being the case. If a player is NHL ready they have a dilemma...

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I agree. And they can't all be safe, third line C. They're gong to have to be creative. Not certain that's Sweeney's strong suit.

Thing is, the blues won with ok center depth and offensive firepower overall

Bruins will be ok if their top three average 50-60 points , and most importantly are 200 foot players with strength, and the d stays mobile and tough and Rask can age well

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
I don’t expect the Bruins to be interested in RFA’s. Compensation is too high and not Sweeney’s style to force a deal.

Well, I'll ask you this; would you have traded for Puljajarvi before knowing today what he'd sign for?

Imagine if a deal could be done with Edmonton but you needed to be sure that he would sign for the right amount and term (a show me deal like the Perry one suggested) and you didn't get to talk to him until today?

Now you know a lot more and the price is still the same.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
To be clear, I've got no problem with the Bruins picks. I posted the spreadsheet in another thread but the Bruins were within 7 slots of a 'reach' for their 3rd round pick on a draft slot while everyone else (except the 7th rounder) was either picked per their spot on a list or picked after their spot. As for the 7th round, the last time they had a guy 'make it' was 2010 with Trotman who played all of 83 games. You need to go back to Hunwick in 2004 to find a Bruins pick in the 7th or later rounds who really made an NHL impact with over 500 games played and counting. But really, is that any different from other teams success rate in the 7th? It's looking more and more likely they actually hit on 2017 7th rounder Berglund with his successful and productive 4 game AHL audition after his Sweeden season was over. Odds are, he's the only Bruins 7th rounder to see NHL action in the next decade if he does, so it really doesn't matter if they take wild swings here--hell, Schmaltz' scouting report basically reads like Nordstrom who was a 3rd round pick.

Per OPs intent of us going on record of who we would have taken, my preference prior to the Bruins drafting based upon who was still available:
(1) 30th - Ryan Johnson (LD)
(3) 92nd - Michal Teply (RW)
(5) 154th - Patrick Moynihan (RC) (Hugo Has, a 6'4" RD with speed and skill, was almost available but WAS paid 2 picks to jump 1 spot in front of Bruins to take him)
(6) 185th - Dustin Wolf (LG)
(7) 192nd - Valentin Nussbaumer (LC/LW) (no explanation online for how a pre-season 1st round projected pick was taken in the 7th)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad