Post-Game Talk: Sunday morning Bruins 2019 NHL draft thread

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Can't say the Bruins had an impressive showing at the draft. It would be interesting to hear what the discussion was at the 30th pick where they could not agree on what to do. What were the other offers? Interesting that Sweeney would not be interested in gaining some picks. He has lots of assets that he could move to gain some draft picks. They need to figure out how they can come up with some first rounders so they can draft some top tier talent for the future.

YouTakeTheVan

Feb 6, 2017
I did notice the Bs took players who have not yet broken out and could with more ice time, physical growth, coaching, etc. Buried on depth charts, lesser leagues, and so forth. And (nearly?) all part of highly respected development programs (foreign/college).

Could it be ... a marketplace inefficiency?

Hell of a buzzword anyway, but I couldn't resist the thought. (Maybe we'll know in 5 years!)

Last edited:

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
I cant remember the last time they said we had a good draft, a good trade deadline, or a good ufa signing

Last i checked weve been in finals 3 of last 9 years

Im happy we dont listed to those self described experts

Lets our idiot front office people keep making these reaches even if we are still waiting for marchand and krug to pan out i guess

That pastrnak kid was a smart pass by everyone before we took a chance on his falling stock too i guess

And coyle/johansson at the deadline was a joke right... they said we didnt get anything there too

Honestly are we really still listening to the crap they say about us? Theyve proven they are bozos so many times. The consenses falls to the lowest common denominator and when evaluated a year later is the weakest link

I have no clue if our picks will work out this year other than i know our team is best at drafting and developing in entire nhl. I trust our guys more than i trust the idiot consensus sheep rabble

This is the source of some of people's frustration I'm guessing...

The fanbase..."We want Kaliyev"........some people-- "Well, 29 teams passed on him."

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
I had hoped the B's were going to somehow acquire a 2nd and get Nikita Alexandrov...mainly because a friend of mine who follows the QMJHL was on him and sent me a few updates and videos here and there.

I could be brainwashed but looks like he may end up being a real good player to me.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
This is the source of some of people's frustration I'm guessing...

The fanbase..."We want Kaliyev"........some people-- "Well, 29 teams passed on him."

you can make a good point... on the other hand people passed on angelo Esposito as people screamed

you will counter with alex debrincat

I will do some research and find some name like Robbie schremp or ho sang whats his face in newyork

at the end of the day its not whether people pass on kids/and its not whether kids drop below the consensus... and its not whether kids are taken before the consensus

the ultimate judge is does a team take the right kids? this is NEVER decided at the day of the draft. some first overall picks bust even when they are concensus… some second overall bust even when they are consensus... and some kids go undrafted by the consensus and still turn out great.

consensus can be wrong just as easily as individuals. I see craig buttons name here... hes right sometimes/wrong sometimes. he used to gm. he was wrong sometimes... right sometimes

I see red line or mckeens get tossed around... bob McKenzie does a list... others do...
they are all wrong sometimes/right sometimes

we can focus on when they were right... or we can focus on when they were wrong

I saw people say new jersey drafts better than anyone... the oilers 1980 draft was so great... look at Detroit find federov and lidstrom… holy crap Ottawa is drafting everyone...

it comes/it goes
no one is right more often than wrong

and its not even about identifying 18 year old kids. some kids get drafted as kids with a good chance and then derail after

Patrick Stefan was a first overall... he got concusion. was that the fault of who drafted him? was bret Lindros a bad pick when he got injured? was norman leveille a bad pick for us when he had his heart problem?

some kids battle demons... gilbert brule didnt work out but was he a bad pick?

its like buying stocks in a stock market. you make the best choice you can but sometimes things change and it didnt work out. when you buy stocks in the market sometimes you want safe choices... sometimes you want potential. sometimes you know inside info and sometimes theres a secret you didnt know

what I do know... is that this is a list of players currently playing in the nhl that our team identified as amateurs or minors and we got them to the NHL to play their first game in our uniform

david pastrnak/Patrice Bergeron/brad marchand
phil kessel/tyler seguin/blake wheeler
vladamir sobotka/david krejci/jake debrusk
danton Heinen/joe thornton/milan lucic
sean kuraly/ryan donato

dougie Hamilton/torey krug
Charlie McAvoy/matt grezlyck
brandon carlo/kevan miller
conor cliffton

tuuka rask
Malcolm subban

if this isnt the number 1 group of talent that any franchise can boast about... I dont know who is

sorry to all you armchair qbs here... I like the bostons track record of finding kids and developing them to become players

Reactions: Spooner st

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
you can make a good point... on the other hand people passed on angelo Esposito as people screamed

you will counter with alex debrincat

I will do some research and find some name like Robbie schremp or ho sang whats his face in newyork

at the end of the day its not whether people pass on kids/and its not whether kids drop below the consensus... and its not whether kids are taken before the consensus

the ultimate judge is does a team take the right kids? this is NEVER decided at the day of the draft. some first overall picks bust even when they are concensus… some second overall bust even when they are consensus... and some kids go undrafted by the consensus and still turn out great.

consensus can be wrong just as easily as individuals. I see craig buttons name here... hes right sometimes/wrong sometimes. he used to gm. he was wrong sometimes... right sometimes

I see red line or mckeens get tossed around... bob McKenzie does a list... others do...
they are all wrong sometimes/right sometimes

we can focus on when they were right... or we can focus on when they were wrong

I saw people say new jersey drafts better than anyone... the oilers 1980 draft was so great... look at Detroit find federov and lidstrom… holy crap Ottawa is drafting everyone...

it comes/it goes
no one is right more often than wrong

and its not even about identifying 18 year old kids. some kids get drafted as kids with a good chance and then derail after

Patrick Stefan was a first overall... he got concusion. was that the fault of who drafted him? was bret Lindros a bad pick when he got injured? was norman leveille a bad pick for us when he had his heart problem?

some kids battle demons... gilbert brule didnt work out but was he a bad pick?

its like buying stocks in a stock market. you make the best choice you can but sometimes things change and it didnt work out. when you buy stocks in the market sometimes you want safe choices... sometimes you want potential. sometimes you know inside info and sometimes theres a secret you didnt know

what I do know... is that this is a list of players currently playing in the nhl that our team identified as amateurs or minors and we got them to the NHL to play their first game in our uniform

david pastrnak/Patrice Bergeron/brad marchand
phil kessel/tyler seguin/blake wheeler
vladamir sobotka/david krejci/jake debrusk
danton Heinen/joe thornton/milan lucic
sean kuraly/ryan donato

dougie Hamilton/torey krug
Charlie McAvoy/matt grezlyck
brandon carlo/kevan miller
conor cliffton

tuuka rask
Malcolm subban

if this isnt the number 1 group of talent that any franchise can boast about... I dont know who is

sorry to all you armchair qbs here... I like the bostons track record of finding kids and developing them to become players

My first round picks since 2005

05- Oshie
06- Kessel
07- Couture
08- Carlson
09- Olsen
10- Seguin
11- Hamilton
12- Finn
14- Pastrnak
15- Zboril, Barzal, Connor
16- Chychrun, Morrison
17- Vesalainen

Not terrible from the corner of my couch.

But your point remains, and is correct there is so much more that goes into it besides just picking the highest ranked avail.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
2014 was a while ago so I guess some people forget. Pastrnak was playing in the Allsvenskan league at ~ 6' and 15x lbs before getting knocked out of half the season with a concussion. He was not in the games that most of the league scouts went out to attend.

He recovered and bulked up before showing up at the combine at a whopping 167 lbs. Add to that a modest 3 points in 5 WJC games and he fell on most scouting boards.

That's a different reason for falling than attitude issues, or laziness, or unwilling to battle for the puck on ice.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I had hoped the B's were going to somehow acquire a 2nd and get Nikita Alexandrov...mainly because a friend of mine who follows the QMJHL was on him and sent me a few updates and videos here and there.

I could be brainwashed but looks like he may end up being a real good player to me.

living here in the Edmonton market near red deer I became high on...

kyle wanvig
jeff woywitka
Colby Armstrong
griffen reinhart
and Curtis lazaar

boy was I upset when the team didnt draft these kids {or let the one go without a contract}

and I was really upset when we didnt trade for them after they were drafted too... {im a slow learner}

my heritage is Swedish...
I was so happy when we drafted lars jonsson and martin Samuelsson
but I was upset we didnt get jens karlssom

im a bit of a fan of the memorial cup
I was just crazy happy we had Cameron mann and Shayne Stevenson... god they were going to be great

ok... I like the world juinors too and I thought brad marchand would end up being the type of bruin I love... so not sure what the hell happened there but even blind squirlles find the occasional nut

my point is... having a little fun with myself {most of you will just say I know NOTHING} that... when it comes right down to it this is not easy to do

I have the hockey news future watch going back for around 25 years... its not very accurate to be honest. here we do a list of hockeys future too. I was even asked to participate a couple times and you all know my skill at identifying future players {although I was much higher on nick Boynton and Shannon morrisonn then anyone else and they both made nhl while many other kids on our list did not}

I have my bias so I like big guys who have a rep for playing hard defense hockey... and it does allow me to be high on many good players. I get high on kids like kluzak and scott stevens… jarome iginla… owen Nolan... the sutter boys...

but a lot of guys dont make it... I actually traded for paul bittner in my keeper league because hes a big guy that fits my profile.

people say I think I am the smartest kid in the room... so I have some fun to piss them off and I play it up that I am just that... I do it because I laugh when they get so angry... its funny to me... but the truth is im wrong more than im right and I do admit that all the time... when it comes to drafts im almost clueless... im definitely wrong more than im right

but i do pay attention... i do look around and i see that when it comes to being wrong about drafts we all are.

the team is too so what can you do... go through the draft record see for yourself... its wrong more often than right

but... all teams are... thats just reality

all draft experts are...

some get paid to be right so I dont blame them when they get angry at me for what im saying. im sure they are 1000 times better at drafting then I am. I suck at it. im sure some people are very good and deserve to be paid. but ive seen their lists. they are wrong a lot

its no shame to be wrong
in fact... everyone is wrong

at the end of the day... our team is right more than any other team has been right. so thats good. thats why weve been to the finals 3 of the last 9 years. we find lots of kids that have value. we keep some... we trade some... some of our trades have resulted in new players who have value

weve been very successful lately... our team probably deserves the benefit of the doubt.

Reactions: Spooner st

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
NHL Draft results 2019: Final grades, analysis for all 31 teams
There is more but I don't want to break the rules and copy too much. Here's the final sentence and grade.

'Although they mostly avoided pure finishers or playmakers, GM Don Sweeney and staff deserve credit for making something out of the few picks they had, and identifying speed and mobility as important characteristics of their draftees. Grade: B'
Sounds more reasonable than the C. They're sticking to their plan. Can't say they're fickle at least. Stubborn maybe. LOL

Reactions: 00BW

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I always find it difficult to try understand the plan going into the draft... I mean there's so much intangibles going on.
I think the plan in this year draft is somewhat related to the general plan Sweeney and his team have since he took the position.

Up till now Sweeney did a great job following the plan replenishing the prospects, the depth and making the Bruins into a well balanced team that can play any style with anyone.

Soo... I'll give Sweeney and his team the benefit of the doubt about the plan and who they decide to bring on board to be part of the family.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
I always find it difficult to try understand the plan going into the draft... I mean there's so much intangibles going on.
I think the plan in this year draft is somewhat related to the general plan Sweeney and his team have since he took the position.

Up till now Sweeney did a great job following the plan replenishing the prospects, the depth and making the Bruins into a well balanced team that can play any style with anyone.

Soo... I'll give Sweeney and his team the benefit of the doubt about the plan and who they decide to bring on board to be part of the family.

If I were to give a Top 5 things that the B's look for, it would probably be this:

Skating
Hockey IQ
200ft Game
Leadership
Work Ethic

Now some guys hit all of these and some hit a few. These just seem to be common things I hear when I read scouting reports on their picks.

Reactions: Smitty93

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
If I were to give a Top 5 things that the B's look for, it would probably be this:

Skating
Hockey IQ
200ft Game
Leadership
Work Ethic

Now some guys hit all of these and some hit a few. These just seem to be common things I hear when I read scouting reports on their picks.
Agree, I would add caracter in there.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013

Skating
Hockey IQ
200ft Game
Leadership
Work Ethic

I'd say the only one of those that applies to their defense selections is that they're all plus skaters. Something like quick decision making is far more common to their D picks than the rest of that list.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Can't say the Bruins had an impressive showing at the draft. It would be interesting to hear what the discussion was at the 30th pick where they could not agree on what to do. What were the other offers? Interesting that Sweeney would not be interested in gaining some picks. He has lots of assets that he could move to gain some draft picks. They need to figure out how they can come up with some first rounders so they can draft some top tier talent for the future.

Kind of early to say this, no?

member 96824

How do all of you guys find the time to watch so many USDP games?

Montecristo

Jul 29, 2012
What’s funny about the bruins draft is that the pick they’ve made in the last 4 years I’ve liked the most has been the lindgren pick. Every other pick I’ve always preferred at least one other player (chychrun/fabbro- mcavoy, peeke/debrincat- Frederic, etc) . I’m not always right. I just remember really wanting them to take lindgren when they came up in round 2 based off how intense and competitive he was at the u18s and they picked him...then they traded him away.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad