Post-Game Talk: Sunday morning Bruins 2019 NHL draft thread

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Everyone including me, would have liked different players in different spots.

But the reality is, there is a method to their madness:

Boston Bruins Reserve List - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
upload_2019-6-23_10-20-26.png

What am I missing here? Not tight on contracts or the reserve. Is the implication that they need to stagger future contracts?

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
Since we have so many experts would be good to look back on

1-30- F Arthur Kaliyev- Hamilton OHL
3-92- D Jordan Spence- Moncton- QMJHL
5-154- F Patrick Moynihan- USDP
6-185- F Nikola Pasic- Sweden
7-192- F Bryce Brodzinski- USHS

*Should say Sunday Morning QB

I like the pick of Beecher a lot.

Your picking at thirty not a top ten pick. Its 30 in a so-so draft and by taking Beecher your taking a player who could develop into a top power forward with speed, skill, size and meanness a player that every team in the league covets and are willing to give an arm and a leg to acquire. One problem is those players just don't become available, so if you have the chance to develop one ,with the 30th pick in the draft you go for it, as the reward by far out weighs the risk.

Last edited:

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
View attachment 239703

What am I missing here? Not tight on contracts or the reserve. Is the implication that they need to stagger future contracts?

Yup.

They have 4 to 5 years to let the guys they drafted develop before they have to sign them/make decisions on them as opposed to 2 years on most of the names I see people wanted.

Take Leason for example. What if this season was a fluke? Or not the norm for him (which it wasn't). What if two years wasn't enough time to figure out how he projects to the next level?

The Red Wings had 11 picks in 2017. They let 6 of them walk June 1 because they had to make a decision on them. One they let walk because he missed over half the season with injuries. Would the extra time have made a difference? I think the Bruins are banking on it.

Beecher projects to be somewhat like Leason in a lot of ways. 2 years versus 4 to make a decision is alright by me.

As for the contracts, they have 34 signed players plus 14 they need to make decisions on. By the time this draft class needs to be signed, there will be 4 more drafts or 28 players coming in.

How many contracts will they be at in 2 or 3 years? Only Bruins management knows the plan. But they sure have an eye on the 50 contract limit

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
Yup.

They have 4 to 5 years to let the guys they drafted develop before they have to sign them/make decisions on them as opposed to 2 years on most of the names I see people wanted.

Take Leason for example. What if this season was a fluke? Or not the norm for him (which it wasn't). What if two years wasn't enough time to figure out how he projects to the next level?

The Red Wings had 11 picks in 2017. They let 6 of them walk June 1 because they had to make a decision on them. One they let walk because he missed over half the season with injuries. Would the extra time have made a difference? I think the Bruins are banking on it.

Beecher projects to be somewhat like Leason in a lot of ways. 2 years versus 4 to make a decision is alright by me.

As for the contracts, they have 34 signed players plus 14 they need to make decisions on. By the time this draft class needs to be signed, there will be 4 more drafts or 28 players coming in.

How many contracts will they be at in 2 or 3 years? Only Bruins management knows the plan. But they sure have an eye on the 50 contract limit
I don't know if I'm 100% buying into scratching guys off the draft list because they'll be leaving the CHL in two seasons, but it is certainly a consideration. And as you point out, it's totally apt with Beecher, whose comparables all took 3+ seasons in the NCAA before signing.

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I don't know if I'm 100% buying into scratching guys off the draft list because they'll be leaving the CHL in two seasons, but it is certainly a consideration. And as you point out, it's totally apt with Beecher, whose comparables all took 3+ seasons in the NCAA before signing.

Sorry, I should have said "if they see 2 or 3 guys being equal".

Gator Mike

Feb 28, 2002
Woburn, MA
Visit site
For better or worse, the Bruins have an organizational philosophy. That philosophy seems to be working for them.

If you're not reliably competitive... if you're not interested in trying to play a 200-foot game... if you're not a plus skater... then Don Sweeney is probably not going to use a high pick to draft you.

If you have an identity that's working, you stick with it until you have a reason to change.

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
For better or worse, the Bruins have an organizational philosophy. That philosophy seems to be working for them.

If you're not reliably competitive... if you're not interested in trying to play a 200-foot game... if you're not a plus skater... then Don Sweeney is probably not going to use a high pick to draft you.

If you have an identity that's working, you stick with it until you have a reason to change.
I agree but you still need a panarin type to pop one in overtime and that's what killed us in the finals this year. Game 2 was the dagger. We need more scoring skilled prospects. I love beecher but wish we could have got a 2nd round pick from Ottawa and got lavoie.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I like the pick of Beecher a lot.

Your picking at thirty not a top ten pick. Its 30 in a so-so draft and by taking Beecher your taking a player who could develop into a top power forward with speed, skill, size and meanness a player that every team in the league covets and are willing to give an arm and a leg to acquire. One problem is those players just don't become available, so if you have the chance to develop one ,with the 30th pick in the draft you go for it, as the reward by far out weighs the risk.

I think this is an important part. There are rarely 31 players that have 1st round grades. That's not to say that they didn't have a 1st round grade on Beecher, but I felt that there were about 25 or so players that had a 1st round grade this year, and almost all of them were gone by the time the Bruins picked. Of the ones remaining, most of them had some sort of red flag.

After those players, it seemed like there were about 15-25 players with similar value, so it's hard to blame them for choosing one player over another. I'd always love to take the player with the highest ceiling, but when you only have 1 pick in the top 90, you're probably looking for a guaranteed NHL player with your first rounder. I'd argue that Beecher had the highest floor of the players remaining, so, all things considered, it makes sense that they'd pick him. It's not like it's a surprise. This board selected him in that HFBoards Mock Draft, and how often do these end up being right?

Reactions: Trizz617 and TCB

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Grading picks the day after the draft never makes any sense. All it tells us is how a team's draft compares to conventional wisdom. It's been clear since Sweeney started as GM that his scouting department places value on a different type of player, so a draft grade is never going to be kind to him. You can't really grade a draft until 4 or 5 years later.

It's basically just fun content for the average hockey fan, particularly those who don't follow the draft process closely.

Reactions: Estlin

BergyWho37

Only The Strong Will Survive (Never Give Up)
Jun 18, 2012
True North
Article on main board gave the Bruins a C as one of the worst for too many reaches. I hope it works out.
Meh heard this before and considering how many picks and selection position I’m like that’s a fair guess for anyone considering the actual context. Another words if we picked exactly what this guy wanted us too we still be rated a C+

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Yup.

good lord, with all this chat about how many contract openings they will have available to sign at various times, really solidifies the point that I understand zippo about how intricate and detailed this business is.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
I liked the first 3 picks,the Finn I'm meh about but as Dom stated elsewhere he's in a good spot for development, last pick is the last pick...however he's got good size but is very light, doesn't report to College till 2020 so time is on his side.
This was the 3rd out of 5 years with no CHL players were chosen, at this point safe to say Boston's development model conflicts with the CHL's

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Article on main board gave the Bruins a C as one of the worst for too many reaches. I hope it works out.
With only a first and a third in the first four rounds if Beecher becomes a third line 40 pt player who hits, scraps and uses his speed on the forecheck while being defensively responsible I think the draft is a success. The others were reaches but after the 3rd they really all are and it comes down to scouts favorites. Not saying to write off those picks before making them but the chances of a 5-7th round player making the NHL are very unlikely

Reactions: bbfan419 and DKH

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Yup.

As noted in today's Scouting Post article,

2019 NHL Draft: Bruins take 4 on Day 2- On the long-range plan

there appears to be a sensible plan as far as allowing their 2019 draftees to develop over a longer period of time without having to make decisions on them any time soon. And, not having to pay them $$ while more NHL ready prospects join the big club.

It's ho hum, but I get it.

I do think the Bruins better address the center position in a more aggressive way. John Beecher may be a decent all round player, but he's not the answer.

In the Chiarelli era, the Bruins were built up the middle and on D. Hope that trend continues.

And they'd better beef up, too.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts

Reaches? Perhaps they mean none of the players selected will be ready short term, and will take awhile to develop. Which appears to fit Sweeney's plan (sic).

No expert but don't see any of these guys as major projects. In fact, they're boring more than anything.

Reactions: Strafer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->