WWE: Summerslam, 2023

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Fatal 4 way at SS or the Rumble seems like the way to go.

They have been teasing Solo turning on Roman a lot. Also I think with Solo he is loyal because Roman is the Chief, it's not out of love or specific family reasons. He doesn't seem willing to tolerate Roman's gaslighting and abuse like Jimmy, Jey, and Sami did.

I would be legit shocked and annoyed if Jimmy is just folding back into the Bloodline, but I don't think at all that's what is happening.

It's either direct jealousy of Jey or twisted love that he feels being Chief changes and ruins you and he didn't want that for Jey.

Jimmy's currently unknown reason for not wanting Jey to be the right hand man is going to be the crux of it.
There's going to be the stupid champion versus champion matches at SS that no one cares about. Won't be there. They may have enough to go on until the Rumble but it will be close before the fanbase gets bored of it. You can only do so many Jey vs. Jimmy, Jey vs. Solo, etc before it gets stale.

I think they have to do Jimmy vs. Jey for a little while and kind of let Solo do squash matches for a while before things between the four of them come to a head. Maybe have Solo indirectly almost cost Roman in an open challenge match between now and SS and have him turn on Roman fully at SS and let Seth go over (presumably if Seth is still champ by then), which would be Roman's first singles loss in almost three years.

There is no reason someone like Knight can't do for the US Title what GUNTHER is doing for the IC title.

I think that was the original idea with Theory, but HHH and Vince had different ideas of what worked for him and he ended up getting put to the side as a result.
Theory was so obviously a Vince push. Got had a rocket strapped to him until HHH took over creative on the main roster. He needs time off and a gimmick change. I'd even send him back to NXT for a few months with that gimmick until they get it right.

But yeah, Knight can put the US title over big again if they let him run with it and give him some strong working heels in the ring to work with.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
There's going to be the stupid champion versus champion matches at SS that no one cares about. Won't be there. They may have enough to go on until the Rumble but it will be close before the fanbase gets bored of it. You can only do so many Jey vs. Jimmy, Jey vs. Solo, etc before it gets stale.

I think they have to do Jimmy vs. Jey for a little while and kind of let Solo do squash matches for a while before things between the four of them come to a head. Maybe have Solo indirectly almost cost Roman in an open challenge match between now and SS and have him turn on Roman fully at SS and let Seth go over (presumably if Seth is still champ by then), which would be Roman's first singles loss in almost three years.

Theory was so obviously a Vince push. Got had a rocket strapped to him until HHH took over creative on the main roster. He needs time off and a gimmick change. I'd even send him back to NXT for a few months with that gimmick until they get it right.

But yeah, Knight can put the US title over big again if they let him run with it and give him some strong working heels in the ring to work with.

They didn't really do champ vs champ last year, so I'm not sure HHH is going back to it. War Games seems to be his SS gimmick now.

Rumble might be better timing for a fatal 4 way though. Solo can go rogue between SS and the Rumble. Roman wins the fatal 4 way, but he basically destroys his family in the process and now is all alone for the road to Mania and what should be his inevitable final defeat

I know people will disagree, but Theory was at least an effective heel under Vince. The selfie gimmick and being Vince's pet got him some heel heat.

HHH seemed to try and make him more serious and he just totally failed at it.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
We don’t know that it’s not still going. There’s no evidence that there is not a long term vision here. The goal is to elevate people here, which they have been doing, consistently, especially since Triple H has had control.
That's fine but everybody has been elevated by this storyline. You run a story too long and you get the n.W.o 2000 level crap. Since the start of the storyline, Roman character has been elevated but for the past year, his character has been really stale. This story needs an endgame and needs to get there quickly.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
That's fine but everybody has been elevated by this storyline. You run a story too long and you get the n.W.o 2000 level crap. Since the start of the storyline, Roman character has been elevated but for the past year, his character has been really stale. This story needs an endgame and needs to get there quickly.
Viewership is up year over year, specifically on bloodline segments. Based on the reaction in the marketplace, there’s no evidence that the story or the character is stale.

Of course it’s fine if that’s your personal opinion. But I’ve been hearing stuff like this for over a year.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Viewership is up year over year, specifically on bloodline segments. Based on the reaction in the marketplace, there’s no evidence that the story or the character is stale.

Of course it’s fine if that’s your personal opinion. But I’ve been hearing stuff like this for over a year.
Ratings where up with the n.W.o. too and they slipped when that story ran too long. I've hated the story after the first year to 18 months of the storyline. It should have ended at Wrestlemania. But no WWE wants to pick this story clean.

BiolaRunner

Jan 19, 2018
Jimmy costing Jey the match was definitely not expected so I'll give them credit for giving us something no one saw coming. On the outside, it doesn't make much sense with what happened at Night of Champions and Money in the Bank, but until we hear the reason why, I'll reserve judgement until Smackdown

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Ratings where up with the n.W.o. too and they slipped when that story ran too long. I've hated the story after the first year to 18 months of the storyline. It should have ended at Wrestlemania. But no WWE wants to pick this story clean.
Yes that happened because WCW didn’t recognize what was plainly obvious to them based on the reactions, and were beholden to people who had creative control. Again, there’s yet to be real evidence that that’s happened here.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Yes that happened because WCW didn’t recognize what was plainly obvious to them based on the reactions, and were beholden to people who had creative control. Again, there’s yet to be real evidence that that’s happened here.
The problem with the nWo was WCW trying to catch the popularity of the Hogan turn, and they wore it out. After Hogan, every week they added someone. Oh look...Macho joined! Lex Luger! Oh my gosh...Bret Hart! It was getting to be more of a surprise to not join.

My hope with the Bloodline stuff is that the main focus turns to Uso v Uso and Reigns can look to a new feud (not sure who'd that be...)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with the nWo was WCW trying to catch the popularity of the Hogan turn, and they wore it out. After Hogan, every week they added someone. Oh look...Macho joined! Lex Luger! Oh my gosh...Bret Hart! It was getting to be more of a surprise to not join.

My hope with the Bloodline stuff is that the main focus turns to Uso v Uso and Reigns can look to a new feud (not sure who'd that be...)
Someone mentioned the 4-way, I could see that taking place somewhere, and then that would likely be the end of it.

sansabri

hello my enemies
Aug 12, 2005
Paul E said in the press conference that they're in the bottom of the third inning in this story. so yeah, they're milking it til they see a drop. they already have LA Knight to fall back on tho

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Paul E said in the press conference that they're in the bottom of the third inning in this story. so yeah, they're milking it til they see a drop. they already have LA Knight to fall back on tho
That gives me the impression that they've booked this whole story already and the participants know how it's going end.

• Haha
Reactions: Grackle Party

Habsrule

Jun 13, 2004
The will run the Bloodline story out as long as they possibly can. Other than LA Knight they don’t have anything else that the fans are in love with. You can add Seth Rollins in there but he is not currently in a major feud.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
What does that have to do with it jumping the shark? It was once much stronger than currently. That doesn't mean it wasn't once "the best ever". It just means it isn't what it used to be.
Even with the shark jumping stuff included though, what is the last storyline better that this in your opinion?

I just think If we can complain about this story, then we can complain about every wrestling storyline.

This is "cinema" by wrestling standards.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

I believe he is exaggerating a bit. I think the plan has been to end Roman's run in Philly against Cody.

yahhockey

Jan 23, 2013
I believe he is exaggerating a bit. I think the plan has been to end Roman's run in Philly against Cody.
In a No DQ match where every current regular TV member of the bloodline will attack Roman followed by a stinkface from Rikishi followed by The Wild Samoans giving him a Cleveland Steamer before Cody gets the pin and Roman kicks out a millisecond after three.

Full disclaimer - the actual results may be different than suggested above

Also...

Roman clean/not clean victories as of Feb 2023...
Jey Uso - Clash of Champions 2020 = Jimmy threw the towel

Braun Strowman - Smackdown 10/16 = Clean

Jey Uso - Hell in a Cell 2020 = Jimmy in submission for Jey to say "I quit"

Kevin Owens - TLC 2020 = Jey and Jimmy interference

Kevin Owens - Smackdown 12/18 = Jey interference (2V1 basically)

Kevin Owens - Royal Rumble 2021 = Paul Heyman interference

Daniel Bryan - Elimination Chamber 2021 = Roman attacked immediatly after the EC match...but "Clean", ok

Daniel Bryan - Fastlane 2021 = Jey interference

Daniel Bryan & Edge - Wrestlemania 37 = Jey interference

Daniel Bryan - Smackdown 04/30 = Clean

Cesaro - Backlash 2021 = Clean

Rey Mysterio - Smackdown 06/18 = Clean

Edge - MITB 2021 = Seth Rollins interference

John Cena - Summerslam 2021 = Clean

Finn Balor - Smackdown 09/03 = Jey and Jimmy interference

Finn Balor (Demon) - Extreme Rules 2021 = Jey and Jimmy interference

Brock Lesnar - Crown Jewel 2021 = Bloodline interference

Sami Zayn - Smackdown 12/03 = Brock Lesnar interference

Seth Rollins - Royal Rumble 2022 = Lost by DQ

Goldberg - Elimination Chamber 2022 = Clean

Brock Lesnar - Wrestlemania 38 = Paul Heyman interference

Matt Riddle - Smackdown 06/17 = Clean

Brock Lesnar - Summerslam 2022 = Bloodline and Austin Theory interference

Drew McIntyre - Clash at the Castle 2022 = Solo Sikoa interference

Logan Paul - Crown Jewel 2022 = Bloodline interference

Kevin Owens - Royal Rumble 2023 = Sami Zayn interference

Sami Zayn - Elimination Chamber 2023 = Jey interference

Why even watch the entire match? Might as well fast forward until an additional body appears at ringside then see what happens. I'm sure previous long-tenured champions may not have won all of their matches clean but wow.

Reactions: dahrougem2

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E

Yeah even with WWE overall on an up swing, smackdowns year to year numbers have been an anomaly in being up way more year to year compared to RAW and NXT.

And it's entirely on the back of Roman and The Bloodline.

Maybe the crowds and viewers will tire out and stop watching but as you said, there isn't any evidence yet that people are done with this.

Reactions: GKJ

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Too bad nobody cares about the Bloodline angle anymore.

How the HELL is this still a thing? I'm sure it has had its great moments. But this is what like 3 years? At this point this has become their NWO because there is nothing else to do with the this guy once it ends. It took about 2 weeks for me to realize why everyone hated him as far back as 2017. He has no talent. Like at all. We're all just gonna live in Vince's fantasy world of how he sees wrestling til he dies. And in this world the biggest hack of a champion there's ever been is king

God bless you guys for hanging in there. I gave up long ago

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
How the HELL is this still a thing? I'm sure it has had its great moments. But this is what like 3 years? At this point this has become their NWO because there is nothing else to do with the this guy once it ends. It took about 2 weeks for me to realize why everyone hated him as far back as 2017. He has no talent. Like at all. We're all just gonna live in Vince's fantasy world of how he sees wrestling til he dies. And in this world the biggest hack of a champion there's ever been is king

God bless you guys for hanging in there. I gave up long ago
Most wrestling fans are eating it up though, as proved by the ratings.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
I'm fine with the bloodline story.

My biggest fear is them spinning tires with heel turns and babyface turns. When they start doing all of that stuff it just comes across as super forced.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Most wrestling fans are eating it up though, as proved by the ratings.

Good for them I guess. I won't question them if they're happy. The last straw for me in WWE programming was turning Cena and Batista into the most boring champions in history and turning Smackdown and ECW into farm shows for a Raw program that was unwatchable. That was what 15 years ago or more?

I've left and come back for years at a time with a smile on my face and until WWE stops being idiotic, that's as far as I'll support the product

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
I often go away, but always peek back in, because pro wrestling is in my DNA.

But it’s never been the same as it once was, and likely never will be.

But then I wonder - is this product marketed towards me? Am I, a middle aged man, a target demographic?

I was 8-9-10 years old or whatever during Hulkamania. I was like 20 years lol or during the attitude era. Very clearly I was the target audience in those times, and the product made sense. I may not be buying what they’re selling because they may not be selling to me in the first place.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad