Transfer: Summer Transfers part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I mean it's not a guarantee because there's 5 other clubs in the CL capable of spending enough money to make challenges for top 4 spots, but United have basically the highest spending potential in England and they'll just keep spending until it works.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Right but when you have a bunch of other teams spending at a similar level it isn't just about spending. Scouting, coaching and development all become so much more important. There are very few actual perennial CL contenders. It's pretty much just Real Madrid and Barcelona, tbh. Right now at the very least City and Liverpool are closer getting to that level, and both of them have a much better infrastructure at the moment.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Right but when you have a bunch of other teams spending at a similar level it isn't just about spending. Scouting, coaching and development all become so much more important. There are very few actual perennial CL contenders. It's pretty much just Real Madrid and Barcelona, tbh. Right now at the very least City and Liverpool are closer getting to that level, and both of them have a much better infrastructure at the moment.

A change that you would know all about. I don’t think that any United fan is out here saying we’ve spent money wisely. But the fact that we’re going to hire a DOF is a huge step in the right direction.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't think any PL team can be a real perennial CL contender with so much competition just to qualify for the CL every year. Its a lot easier when you don't have to worry about the competition in your league as much a la Juve, PSG, or Bayern. You make a few bad transfer decisions and boom you're playing Europa league football on Thursday nights.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think any PL team can be a real perennial CL contender with so much competition just to qualify for the CL every year

I agree for the most part, but I have a really, really hard time ever envisioning Man City not making top 4 anytime soon.

That is just a juggernaut of a club.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I agree for the most part, but I have a really, really hard time ever envisioning Man City not making top 4 anytime soon.

That is just a juggernaut of a club.

What happens when Pep gets bored and leaves in a few years? And then a few players leave? I'm not saying it's going to be that cyclical every single year, but every team generally has its ups and downs.

Arsenal was the only mainstay in the CL year after year, but they were hardly a contender for the last decade.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
What happens when Pep gets bored and leaves in a few years? And then a few players leave? I'm not saying it's going to be that cyclical every single year, but every team generally has its ups and downs.

They'll still be an extremely well-run club (best in England) that happens to be the richest (or 2nd) in the world. Players leaving them means little when they can just sign someone else. This isn't North American sports. Replacing players isn't that difficult when you're insanely rich.

They obviously aren't going to win the title every year, but top 4? Yeah, I cannot see that happening.

Of course, anything can happen, but no one can touch their resources, and as of right now, no one is coming close off the pitch.

Pep is the best (imo) , but they'll just find someone else.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
They'll still be an extremely well-run club (best in England) that happens to be the richest (or 2nd) in the world. Players leaving them means little when they can just sign someone else. This isn't North American sports. Replacing players isn't that difficult when you're insanely rich.

They obviously aren't going to win the title every year, but top 4? Yeah, I cannot see that happening.

Anything can happen, but no one can touch their resources, and as of right now, no one is coming close off the pitch.

Pep is the best (imo) , but they'll just find someone else.

I don't think they're destined for failure if Pep leaves, as they have money, a good academy, and good people in charge behind Pep already. But a lot of the things you mentioned also describe Man United and Cheslea, who have both finished outside the top 4 multiple times (and as low as 7th) recently. It's hard to sustain that kind of success in the PL.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
I don't think they're destined for failure if Pep leaves, as they have money, a good academy, and good people in charge behind Pep already. But a lot of the things you mentioned also describe Man United and Cheslea, who have both finished outside the top 4 multiple times (and as low as 7th) recently. It's hard to sustain that kind of success in the PL.

United and Chelsea , as wealthy as they are, don't come close to City.

PSG , really, is the only club that can touch them in terms of insane wealth. We're talking clubs backed by states , here. Completely different stratosphere.

And what's worrying about it is, City is matching this insane wealth with a highly, highly intelligent football operation.

United and Chelsea can compete on the pitch--- but off it? Nah.

City is crushing United behind the scenes right now. Crushing them.

Good luck slowing down this down.

Last edited:

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
Chelsea could compete as long as Roman was willing/able to treat the club as a toy. No club owned by an American sports owner will be able to compete because it's an entirely different mindset.

There's a difference between an owner who buys a club because he wants to own a club and sees it the same way he sees his sports cars and yachts and an owner who buys it as a business. You don't buy a super car for resale value, you buy it because you can, because it's awesome and because it shows everyone else just how fabulously wealthy you are. Then you got those Americans coming in with their accountants and their business plans, drab guys in suits who don't even enjoy it. They don't get it..if you want to roll with those Arabs and so forth, you gotta think of a football club as a way to get rid of money for fun, not a way to make it.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yes and no.
Utd is filled with mediocre players and a select few world class ones that are being asked to do too much.
But it's still Man Utd, one of the biggest clubs in the world and them becoming a perennial CL contender again is just a matter of time.

May be just a matter of time, but right now is clearly not the time to make that leap if you're him. I'm sure he's not blind to the fact the his recent teammate went from being the most hyped player of the day to someone getting a fair amount of shit dumped on his head

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
May be just a matter of time, but right now is clearly not the time to make that leap if you're him. I'm sure he's not blind to the fact the his recent teammate went from being the most hyped player of the day to someone getting a fair amount of **** dumped on his head

I don't know about that. Dybala to Man Utd and he'd instantly become the face of one of the most storied clubs in the world, one of the richest, with the richest history, biggest following etc.

For all the trouble United is in at the moment, with poor recruitment over the last decade basically, with only 3.5 world class players on the roster, I think it's fair to say United is still a bigger magnet to a player of Dybala's profile than a team like Tottenham (who are in a far better position at the moment, player-wise, maybe even manager-wise, but they don't have the whole "Hollywood" thing going for them like United do).

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
There's been a bit of smoke about that in some of the less reputable rags for a bit now. I wouldn't be shocked if that's more of the Liverpool want Pastore or Draxler mold more so than actual links.

Liverpool have basically eliminated the way early leaks. This leak would be too early, and I expect it's the agent saying he's a player who would like to move, or get paid, and here's a club who might be a fit.

On the City and perennial thing, there's no such thing as a sure thing. If Pep goes, and he won't soon, finding a new manager is not a guarantee. I think Liverpool and United supporters can speak to the difficulty in replacing management. For all their success in buying players, they do still have to continue to find talent to replace some of the older parts. Silva, Aguero, Otamendi, Delph, Fernandinho and Kompany are all on the back side of careers. A few others are in their later 20s, and while that's peak, it could fall off quick. Sure, there's some left in the tank if minutes are managed, but that's a lot of roster turnover down the road that needs to happen. They do have some quality younger players like Bernado Silva, Sterling (for all his faults), Stones (same deal), Ederson, Gabriel Jesus and some others who will be key cogs for the next 5-7 seasons, but a lot of their players also have some injury concerns that make you wonder where the roster will be in a few seasons. The added minutes some of the players are going to go through as they continue to make deep runs in basically everything will only lead to more injuries and breaking down. Yes, every club goes through those things, but there's no guarantee that they will be able to find the next Aguero or David Silva, or the next Kompany when they need a central defender to fill in next to what they have. It's possible that they can drop off. I wouldn't bet my house on it happening, but there's a lot that has to go right to keep being as good as they are forever. Sure, they have the money to sink into it to fix problems, but you're talking about replacing a lot of talent in the next two or three seasons. Note, if they did drop off, it wouldn't be like they're getting relegated. It's more like a momentary out of the top 4 or 5 for a season or two.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
@Evilo Have you heard anything about this?

Liverpool move for PSG's Rabiot - sources

I don't know if Laurens is any good.
Well it's not a secret Liverpool has tried to convince Rabiot to sign on a free in january. Some might call it tampering, but it's usual business.

In any case, it's hardly good enough to replace the Milners or especially Hendersons.
Besides, he's crap in the CL.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Well it's not a secret Liverpool has tried to convince Rabiot to sign on a free in january. Some might call it tampering, but it's usual business.

In any case, it's hardly good enough to replace the Milners or especially Hendersons.
Besides, he's crap in the CL.
I read this without looking at the poster and thought you were being serious.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'd say its Chamberlain he is going to have to worry about by then. :)

I dont see why he would not fit. I'd rather have more of a goal threat there; someone than can consistently push ten goals a season, but that may be nitpicking.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Seven weirdest transfers of the summer.

- Barca turning Paulinho into a 8.5 million Euro profit with his sell to Guangzhou Evergrande.

- William Carvalho as he publicly feud with Sporting CP before a fan mob came attacking players and staff. He moved to Real Betis weeks later.

- Joel Campbell to Frosinone who suffered long bouts of work-permit problems during his time in Europe.

- Kevin-Prince Boateng to Sassuolo who already has 2 goals in 3 matches.

- Gervinho to Parma. Enough side.

- Eric Choupo-Moting to PSG which had the potential to violate FFP laws.

- EDM-loving Marco Borriello to Ibiza as manager where fans crashed the club's store to buy custom kits with his name.

Last edited:

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Milner will be on Leeds after they are promoted Bielsa going to love him

It's also no secret that Rabiot really likes Liverpool. Went to Anfield for a CL game and commented about loving it, and when Gerrard retired he posted a bunch of things I can't really post here.

I give this a decent chance of happening.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
PSG doesn't violate any FFP laws. But for some reason (hint : big clubs), they're under a new study even though they passed every test so far (even the june one) and that studies are supposed to happen AFTER the year, not during it.

The little pressure group (Real/Barca/Juve/United/Bayern, etc...) are really killing football. Between the CL format, the FFP and now the "get rid of the awa goal rule", it's getting beyond sick.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
It's also no secret that Rabiot really likes Liverpool. Went to Anfield for a CL game and commented about loving it, and when Gerrard retired he posted a bunch of things I can't really post here.

I give this a decent chance of happening.
Best midfielder in the world I always say.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad