Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Ehhhh when he was a starter at Inter he was already a top midfielder. Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho is an absolutely world class midfield. Chelsea is going to look completely different this season and they're really going to push the top teams. I can't see Spurs or Arsenal finishing ahead of them unless the squad just can't adapt to Sarri at all.
That is going to be A LOT of creative pressure on Kovacic

If Chelsea finish top 4 with Kovacic leading the midfield, I guess I will stop calling him overrated.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Ehhhh when he was a starter at Inter he was already a top midfielder. Kovacic, Kante and Jorginho is an absolutely world class midfield. Chelsea is going to look completely different this season and they're really going to push the top teams. I can't see Spurs or Arsenal finishing ahead of them unless the squad just can't adapt to Sarri at all.

They still need someone to put the ball in the back of the net though. Morata looks terrible, Giroud is serviceable but limited, and Batshuayi is a question mark at this point. Hazard will chip in some goals obviously, but they don't have anyone else you can truly rely on right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Not really, Hazard and Jorginho provide that, so does Willian to an extent.
Different areas of the pitch. Jorginho is a 6 and he is going to be doing a lot of the recycling stuff. The link play is going to fall on Kovacic. Not that he is worse than Barkley or Cesc at this stage but still. He was basically playing the last few years in Madrid at the same role Jorginho is going to be doing.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Jorginho is one of the worlds best passers from a technical aspect, but that doesn't make him just as good creatively. I think that aspect of his game is a bit overrated.

Reactions: S E P H

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Different areas of the pitch. Jorginho is a 6 and he is going to be doing a lot of the recycling stuff. The link play is going to fall on Kovacic. Not that he is worse than Barkley or Cesc at this stage but still. He was basically playing the last few years in Madrid at the same role Jorginho is going to be doing.

If that's how it plays out, we'll manage, it's an improvement on what we've had in previous years. Playmaking in the CM positions would get better, so don't see how that's an issue. Not saying we become title contenders, but we'd be better than last season with Kante, Bakayko, and Fabregas, with some Drinkwater and Pedro thrown in.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Jorginho is one of the worlds best passers from a technical aspect, but that doesn't make him just as good creatively. I think that aspect of his game is a bit overrated.
Not saying he's great in that area, but from a playmaking aspect, it's an upgrade over Kante or Bakayoko for creating plays from that position. Kovacic-Jorginho-Kante would be better going forward than Bakayoko-Kante-Fabregas, that's all I'm saying.

Reactions: 417

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Not saying he's great in that area, but from a playmaking aspect, it's an upgrade over Kante or Bakayoko for creating plays from that position. Kovacic-Jorginho-Kante would be better going forward than Bakayoko-Kante-Fabregas, that's all I'm saying.

Yeah, absolutely.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
With our poor goal scoring options, we should really try and use Morata and Giroud for link up plays to open up space for Hazard and such to get in good shooting positions. Giroud is really good at playing this way. If we try the same thing as last year, we're going to struggle to score goals again.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
If that's how it plays out, we'll manage, it's an improvement on what we've had in previous years. Playmaking in the CM positions would get better, so don't see how that's an issue. Not saying we become title contenders, but we'd be better than last season with Kante, Bakayko, and Fabregas, with some Drinkwater and Pedro thrown in.
I doubt Drinkwater stays if Kovacic is brought in as rumored...

Curious to see what happens with RLC

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I doubt Drinkwater stays if Kovacic is brought in as rumored...

Curious to see what happens with RLC
Even if he stays, he just warms the bench for a HG spot.

I hope RLC gets minutes. Europa would be perfect for him to prove himself.

Reactions: 417

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Theoretically but its still asking a lot of Kovacic

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
They still need someone to put the ball in the back of the net though. Morata looks terrible, Giroud is serviceable but limited, and Batshuayi is a question mark at this point. Hazard will chip in some goals obviously, but they don't have anyone else you can truly rely on right now.
Redan will step in sooner than later if they can't score consistently.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Cadena Ser and Mundo Deportivo are both reporting that the Kepa deal is done with the player flying to Madrid to complete the final paperwork so I'd say this report is reliable.
Good. Probably the best possible outcome that we could've had in this situation, just wish they would've done it sooner.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
And I don't see how they are a better option than Chelsea. Like it or not I assure you Chelsea has a far greater draw than Spurs.
I was going to come here and say all about Russian Mobster "this" and Stanford Plastic Inc. "that" and even though some of this is true, I gotta give where credit is due. I went through all the EPL seasons from the 1990s and early 2000s and found that Chelsea before Roman the Terrible bought the team, they were always challenging for the Euro and last CL spot (quite consistently).

Spurs on the other hand where down there with Newcastle United and plastic Man City for majority of their years. Wow, holy **** you weren't joking that they have absolutely zero glory years. Tottenham should be fortunate that they have a rival as good as the Arsenal because that is as good as a second rate record I've ever seen...especially for a club who's supporters call good. I take back everything I said about them when we were debating between them and Inter.

Last edited:

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Reactions: S E P H

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I was going to come here and say all about Russian Mobster "this" and Stanford Plastic Inc. "that" and even though some of this is true, I gotta give where credit is due. I went through all the EPL seasons from the 1990s and early 2000s and found that Chelsea before Roman the Terrible bought the team, they were always challenging for the Euro and last CL spot (quite consistently).

Spurs on the other hand where down there with Newcastle United and plastic Man City for majority of their years. Wow, holy **** you weren't joining that they have absolutely zero glory years. Tottenham should be fortunate that they have a rival as good as the Arsenal because that is as good as a second rate record I've ever seen...especially for a club who's supporters call good. I take back everything I said about them when we were debating between them and Inter.
Yeah, the Zola era brought them on the verge of the big boys, Roman just got them over the top.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad