Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
No one is dismissing him, but lets not act like he's amazing and is going to transform Arsenal in 1 season.

Same can be said for Sarri. In fact Chelsea has a bigger transition in terms of adapting to a different style than Arsenal.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
No one is dismissing him, but lets not act like he's amazing and is going to transform Arsenal in 1 season.
Exactly. Arsenal needs to spend some money to improve in their weak areas as well, which they have barely done. Emery isn't going to turn them into a fantastic team over night.

Same can be said for Sarri. In fact Chelsea has a bigger transition in terms of adapting to a different style than Arsenal.
Yes, the same can be said for Chelsea and no one has said otherwise.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Agreed, I've said many times on here that the transition could be rough, especially if we don't add to the midfield. We need a better attacking one and hope that Kante doesn't get hurt because we don't have a good backup for the #8 role.

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
Agreed, I've said many times on here that the transition could be rough, especially if we don't add to the midfield. We need a better attacking one and hope that Kante doesn't get hurt because we don't have a good backup for the #8 role.

So then you would agree it's not clear cut that Chelsea will finish ahead of Arsenal given the fact that:

1. Chelsea will most likely lose their number 1 GK.
2. Chelsea will have to adapt to a completely different style of play.
3. Emery just need to correct Arsenal's abysmal away record, which besides last year they were usually in the top 3 in the away table.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd have Neuer, De Gea, and Oblak/MAtS all ahead of Courtois (in that order), but he's somewhere around 5-8 in the world for me. Lloris had a good WC and shouldn't be counted out of that tier yet either.

Yup I agree. I think all of those guys could fluctuate depending on the season those guys are having, but the top 5 has some good competition.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I don't think I'm underrating Arsenal or overrating Chelsea, I think both are behind City, United, Liverpool, and Spurs right now. At least on paper, Chelsea are better than Arsenal in the midfield, defense, and goaltending (pending any Courtois move and whether they get someone at least as good as Leno). Arsenal clearly have better strikers. It's not a huge difference, but I don't see the vast improvements or "as good of a team that can be built" quality in Arsenal that is being claimed.

I don't think Spurs or United are ahead of either of us, at least not significantly. Chelsea's midfield is better on paper if we're talking about a defense and counter system, but Arsenal's will be better in possession so I wouldn't give Chelsea an overall edge there.

I'm not one that thinks Arsenal is "as good of a team that can be built" and we still aren't going to be title contenders, but there have definitely been solid improvements this window.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
So then you would agree it's not clear cut that Chelsea will finish ahead of Arsenal given the fact that:

1. Chelsea will most likely lose their number 1 GK.
2. Chelsea will have to adapt to a completely different style of play.
3. Emery just need to correct Arsenal's abysmal away record, which besides last year they were usually in the top 3 in the away table.

I don't think it's clear cut, but I still think they finish ahead.

1. Have to see what the replacement is first. If we spend crazy money on Kepa for example, then we are still better than Arsenal.
2. It's an x-factor. We could struggle, but we could also see some players really excel. You just never know how those transitions go. When Conte put his back 3 in, many were skeptical, especially when Moses was starting, and we went on to win the league.
3. Sure, that's "all" he has to do.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
More away points + maintaining the home record = more points in general. Not too hard to understand.
You are making it way to simplistic though, that's what I'm saying. There is more to just improving the away record, and easier said than done for just maintaining the home record. That's also not factoring in the other teams collecting more points.

Reactions: Blender

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
Also, when saying Arsenal's back line is the issue, we're really just talking about the CBs and potentially GK tbh. Bellerin/Lichtsteiner and Monreal/Kolasinac are pretty good considering there's not many top fullbacks in the EPL.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
That's laughable. What do we consider Gomes to be worth? Has to be a decent chunk less than what Barca paid for him.
Arsenal were linked to Gomes for the entire month and wanted I believe 16 to 20 million for him, while Barca thinks they can get 27 million out of him. Lol.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
According to Paul Hirst Pogba is open to leaving the club because of Mou. Hell yes. I love it. Keep it up Mou you’re making an absolute super team right now.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
While I understand hating Mourinho, I also hate how much some of these players act like babies. He can't be surprised by Mourinho when he decided to go to United.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad