Transfer: Summer Transfers part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
If they keep Hazard and Kante, they’ll be better. They're better than anything Arsenal run out there by a fair margin. I think Hazard’s a touch overrated, but you’re talking two players who are in the discussion for top three or four at what they do.

Jorginho also is a stud. Should be interesting to see how he adapts. I also expect their manger to get more out of some guys who have talent but are on the outs with Conte. The team also quit on Conte
All the Liverpool guys should know here better than anyone that one to two players don't equal into championships. Salah pretty much dominated the EPL and they still came up short. Likewise with Chelsea and your opinion about Hazard and Kante. If you exclude Arsenal's backline, they're as good as a team can be built. Midfield depth is weak, but Torreira with Guendouzi's emergence really makes up for whatever we lacked last year. I don't how many of you watched Arsenal's preseason, but Guendouzi was simply unbelievable - looked like a younger version of Verratti with a superior frame.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
All the Liverpool guys should know here better than anyone that one to two players don't equal into championships. Salah pretty much dominated the EPL and they still came up short. Likewise with Chelsea and your opinion about Hazard and Kante. If you exclude Arsenal's backline, they're as good as a team can be built. Midfield depth is weak, but Torreira with Guendouzi's emergence really makes up for whatever we lacked last year. I don't how many of you watched Arsenal's preseason, but Guendouzi was simply unbelievable - looked like a younger version of Verratti with a superior frame.

No one said Chelsea would be competing for the championship this season. And no, if you exclude Arsenal's backline, there are still plenty of teams better from midfield forward.

You also don't need a stacked team to win, plenty of teams in recent years have proven that.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Makes sense.
I know Sarri plays an interesting brand of football but with Chelsea you never know when it comes to manager's longevity. Plus, us Croatians just prefer Italy in most cases, far closer culture, closer to home etc. Ask any kid here that is the same age Mateo is and they will likely tell you they cheared for a Serie A side, hardcore football fans I know are mostly fans of Italian sides, be it Juve, AC, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina, Parma etc. And if you liked an English side it was Arsenal, Utd or Liverpool, but those guys are far rearer.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
All the Liverpool guys should know here better than anyone that one to two players don't equal into championships. Salah pretty much dominated the EPL and they still came up short.

Yeah, there are lots of reasons for that. Fortunately they were solved. It takes more than one player but Chelsea does have a lot of good players and a few great ones.

I do strongly believe Chelsea has a better team though. Other than at striker anyway.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I know Sarri plays an interesting brand of football but with Chelsea you never know when it comes to manager's longevity. Plus, us Croatians just prefer Italy in most cases, far closer culture, closer to home etc. Ask any kid here that is the same age Mateo is and they will likely tell you they cheared for a Serie A side, hardcore football fans I know are mostly fans of Italian sides, be it Juve, AC, Inter, Roma, Fiorentina, Parma etc. And if you liked an English side it was Arsenal, Utd or Liverpool, but those guys are far rearer.
Agree on all points. If he knew Sarri was going to stay at Chelsea for 5+ years, then we might have a chance. Anyone can look at Chelsea and know that Sarri probably won't last longer than 2 seasons. I hope they stick with him, but I know better.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
There’s lots of players with Mateo as a first or last name :laugh: just wanted to make sure that I was on the same page. I think that Kovacic could fit in really well with pretty much all of the top sides in England.
It is reported he has no desire playing negative football, hence why he told Mou to get on his bike. So Utd are definetly out. Arsenal is too big of an unknown. Chelsea as well. As I see it, he would be a regular at Liverpool and Liverpool plays a brand of football that suits him. He won't go to City as he wants guarantees to play a lot.

Reactions: Gecklund

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
If you exclude Arsenal's backline, they're as good as a team can be built.
Yikes. They don't have a title winning quality squad at all, and their back line is mediocre at best. Arsenal are in the 4-6 range, with the possibility of finishing 2 or 3 if things really went well for them and poorly for a few others.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
No one said Chelsea would be competing for the championship this season. And no, if you exclude Arsenal's backline, there are still plenty of teams better from midfield forward.
I don't think it's as bad as people make it out to be here. Sure that health is a concern between being solid and being bad, but the likes of Ramsey, Ozil, Torreira, and Guendouzi is top quality. Perhaps not world class and not better than Chelsea's, but very solid that fit a lot of different formations/playing styles. The only wildcard is Xhaka and since he hasn't played under Emery as of yet (I don't think), we don't know what we're going to get. He looked solid in the second half of the season and is coming off a fabulous world cup - not that his form will carry over, but more for his confidence.

Yikes. They don't have a title winning quality squad at all, and their back line is mediocre at best. Arsenal are in the 4-6 range, with the possibility of finishing 2 or 3 if things really went well for them and poorly for a few others.
Arsenal won't be winning the EPL title due to defencive issues and probable short-comings, not because a lack of scoring goals.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Seeing a report that Chelsea might pay the release clause for Kepa. I'd be totally fine with this, but why wouldn't the board just go harder for Alisson, unless he just wanted Liverpool.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Arsenal won't be winning the EPL title due to defencive issues and probable short-comings, not because a lack of scoring goals.
I never said Arsenal can't score goals, they have pretty good attacking quality. They lack defensive quality throughout their lineup, not just in their back line. I'm sure Torreira will help with that, but they could use to shave 15-20 goals against off from last year if they expect to be better, and I don't see it. There is more to being a great team player than just how you play with the ball on your feet.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Kepa is way to good for how this situation plays out for Chelsea though. Usually we get guys like Drinkwater or Papy Djilobodji when we wait till the last minute.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Seeing a report that Chelsea might pay the release clause for Kepa. I'd be totally fine with this, but why wouldn't the board just go harder for Alisson, unless he just wanted Liverpool.

Athletic are notorious hard negotiators and he recently signed a deal. He must force his way out of Chelsea want him and with time not on their side i doubt it ends well.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
I mean what goalies do you think are definitively better than him? I have DDG and Neuer as the top 2. Then you have guys behind them like Courtois, Oblak, MATS, Alisson, Ederson, etc. that are all at a similar level imo.

I'd have Neuer, De Gea, and Oblak/MAtS all ahead of Courtois (in that order), but he's somewhere around 5-8 in the world for me. Lloris had a good WC and shouldn't be counted out of that tier yet either.

I mean Ozil is a top 3 chance creator in the league along with KdB and David Silva. Auba could very well be the best striker in the league this season, as he should be in the conversation with guys like Aguero, Kane, Firmino/Salah. Mkhi and Lacazette are harder to gauge at this point, but both showed flashes of good form during last season, and I'd take Lacazette over either Morata or Giroud.

Arsenal are not exactly lacking in midfield quality either with Torreira, Ramsey, Xhaka, and some young guys. Outside of the back 4 and goalkeeper, Arsenal could compete with any team in the league except City. Factor in the entire squad and I don't think you can say they are clearly below any teams except City and Liverpool on paper. I won't guarantee or expect them to finish top 4 this season, but I think you're underrating Arsenal's squad and overrating Chelsea's.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Athletic are notorious hard negotiators and he recently signed a deal. He must force his way out of Chelsea want him and with time not on their side i doubt it ends well.
We'd have to just pay the release clause, no way we'd get him cheaper than that. I don't see it happening. It'll be Butland. That move has Chelsea written all over it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You think that’s not happening with every club who can?

You don’t think Courtois is getting texts from guys he knows for Real?

Liverpool have been doing that for years, it just is at a point to where it works because they’re willing to pay the money, they have the manager and there are talented players to play with. Gerrard tried to get guys to come for years, but it wasn’t the same club to come to.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
We'd have to just pay the release clause, no way we'd get him cheaper than that. I don't see it happening. It'll be Butland. That move has Chelsea written all over it.
It's not just the matter of paying the release clause... ask Bayern fans how hard it is even if you pay the release clause.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You think that’s not happening with every club who can?

You don’t think Courtois is getting texts from guys he knows for Real?

Liverpool have been doing that for years, it just is at a point to where it works because they’re willing to pay the money, they have the manager and there are talented players to play with. Gerrard tried to get guys to come for years, but it wasn’t the same club to come to.

I've stated many of times that every club is guilty of this... same for diving, young players, cheating what have you. However, from the looks of it only one team gets the brunt of this criticism.

I couldn't care less that Liverpool does it. In fact more power to them.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
As for the Arsenal and Chelsea comparisons, I’ll hold off till the window is done. But Arsenal still need to do some work. The ridiculous part of saying beyond their back line is the fact that their back line has been the problem for years. If they haven’t truly fixed that, and if their midfield isn’t ready to deal with the high pace press they face against good sides, then have they really improved?

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I've stated many of times that every club is guilty of this... same for diving, young players, cheating what have you. However, from the looks of it only one team gets the brunt of this criticism.

I couldn't care less that Liverpool does it. In fact more power to them.
I mean, Barca has been the worst about this for a decade.

I’ve no problem with it. It happens. Liverpool pay the fees to make it not an issue

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
I mean Ozil is a top 3 chance creator in the league along with KdB and David Silva. Auba could very well be the best striker in the league this season, as he should be in the conversation with guys like Aguero, Kane, Firmino/Salah. Mkhi and Lacazette are harder to gauge at this point, but both showed flashes of good form during last season, and I'd take Lacazette over either Morata or Giroud.

Arsenal are not exactly lacking in midfield quality either with Torreira, Ramsey, Xhaka, and some young guys. Outside of the back 4 and goalkeeper, Arsenal could compete with any team in the league except City. Factor in the entire squad and I don't think you can say they are clearly below any teams except City and Liverpool on paper. I won't guarantee or expect them to finish top 4 this season, but I think you're underrating Arsenal's squad and overrating Chelsea's.
I don't think I'm underrating Arsenal or overrating Chelsea, I think both are behind City, United, Liverpool, and Spurs right now. At least on paper, Chelsea are better than Arsenal in the midfield, defense, and goaltending (pending any Courtois move and whether they get someone at least as good as Leno). Arsenal clearly have better strikers. It's not a huge difference, but I don't see the vast improvements or "as good of a team that can be built" quality in Arsenal that is being claimed.

Reactions: bleedblue1223
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad