Status
Not open for further replies.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I have no idea.
Rumors are that his dad is telling him to accept the extension.
(Zidane isn't here BTW).

What I do know is that if he leaves PSG on such a CL potential year to sign with a very sad Real, most people in France will say his head is too big for his mouth.
Because the only reason would be to be the main guy.
Which is terrible when you have the chance to play with the goat.

They are already shitting on him for missing a PK, why the f*** would he care? :laugh:

Why would he "want" to play with Messi when he can be the man FOR A BIGGER BRAND and likely earn MORE in sponsorships, especially if he brings them back to glory.

We all love to romanticize sports, but at the end of the day, it is a business. Mbappé and his people will take a business decision.

If PSG wins a CL, Messi will be the story, no matter how Mbappé plays. If Real wins with Mbappé, it will be all about him. Playing with the GOAT is great on the pitch, not necessarily ideal for your wallet/brand recognition. Heck, Neymar left Barca to be the man and he is very clsoe to Messi. Football-wise, at the time, it was not the best decision. And spare me the nonsense about La Liga. It is still a much bigger league than Ligue 1. Madrid is still a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger brand than PSG.

I mean, it is very easy to justify both decisions. At the end of the day, it will be up to what Mbappé prioritizes. Success on the pitch or his global brand. PSG might be the better decision for both, I will concede that, but I do not think it is (and just like you, I am biased). Moving to England to a oil club certainly is not.

Power Man

Grrrr
Sep 30, 2008
221B Baker Street
They lost their central D and their threepeat coach.
Yeah no.
And as I said Pérez fully knows he might not get him next summer
Ramos was rushed bacl from injuries for the semis vs Chelsea, in fact a lot of players were rushed back
Carlo may not have 3 peated but he still won CL’s including one with Madrid

I’m not saying Madrid will win the CL this season, in fact I don’t think they will, but they should be competitive

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I have no idea.
Rumors are that his dad is telling him to accept the extension.
(Zidane isn't here BTW).

What I do know is that if he leaves PSG on such a CL potential year to sign with a very sad Real, most people in France will say his head is too big for his mouth.

Oh man I totally forgot Zidane left again and it’s Carlo. Lol. I can’t keep track of the drama in la liga this past year.

it seems like a stupid move IMO.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Klopp, get it done.

(Note, there was a rumor floating that Klopp has called and spoke with him and his dad).

Obviously, I don't really think it's likely. But... one can dream.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

As for his head, not sure why that would be a realization only now.

As for being the main guy, reminds me of someone else.

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
net spend should always be the filter

Depends on the conversation. If you're discussing transfer spending, yes. If you're comparing how a good a team should be relative to another, the cost of the team in it's current state should be the consideration when it comes to money.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
They are already shitting on him for missing a PK, why the f*** would he care? :laugh:

Why would he "want" to play with Messi when he can be the man FOR A BIGGER BRAND and likely earn MORE in sponsorships, especially if he brings them back to glory.

We all love to romanticize sports, but at the end of the day, it is a business. Mbappé and his people will take a business decision.

If PSG wins a CL, Messi will be the story, no matter how Mbappé plays. If Real wins with Mbappé, it will be all about him. Playing with the GOAT is great on the pitch, not necessarily ideal for your wallet/brand recognition. Heck, Neymar left Barca to be the man and he is very clsoe to Messi. Football-wise, at the time, it was not the best decision. And spare me the nonsense about La Liga. It is still a much bigger league than Ligue 1. Madrid is still a MUCH MUCH MUCH bigger brand than PSG.

I mean, it is very easy to justify both decisions. At the end of the day, it will be up to what Mbappé prioritizes. Success on the pitch or his global brand. PSG might be the better decision for both, I will concede that, but I do not think it is (and just like you, I am biased). Moving to England to a oil club certainly is not.
All of this is simply not the trend.
The trend is that la liga is going down the drain while L1 is getting more exposure.
As for his image he'd be better off in England.

Nah this makes no sense.
And no he's not getting shit on because of the penalty.
He's getting shit on by some people for his character and his ego.
This will be much worse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Depends on the conversation. If you're discussing transfer spending, yes. If you're comparing how a good a team should be relative to another, the cost of the team in it's current state should be the consideration when it comes to money.

Even net transfer spending doesn't come close to telling the whole picture because your missing out on all of the other costs/revenues that clubs have which influence how efficient clubs need to be on the transfer market; i.e. United & Real can be more reckless with their money because of their other revenues than clubs with similar budgets that don't have the same kind of reach.

So they're operating under different standards...even if they aren't as different as PSG/City's.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
The trend is that la liga is going down the drain while L1 is getting more exposure.

The "down the drain" bit aside, assuming you are correct in La Liga's profile diminishing whilst L1's is increasing, you have to consider the whys behind it. La Liga's is in large part down to rules that L1 doesn't have and more importantly L1's profile is increasing surely down in very large part to PSG's squad.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
It’s very wise for Mbappe to try to push the deal through now. If your aim is to become the greatest of all time, why help Messi enhance his legacy? For image and marketablity, Real Madrid or Barcelona are probably still the pinnacle of football.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Nah this makes no sense.
And no he's not getting shit on because of the penalty.
He's getting shit on by some people for his character and his ego.
This will be much worse.

Ligue 1 is getting more exposure because of Messi. La Liga will get a big buzz if Mbappé moves. All of it is situational. Madrid and Barca are still huge brands and they will both recover financially soon enough. Trending down today, could be trending up tomorrow. Trends are relevant, but we are not comparing La Liga to EPL here, we are comparing it to a much smaller league.

Ligue 1 is, at best, a one-league team for "visibility" purposes (as we saw last year, it is far from true on the pitch). La Liga has the two biggest brands in club football. La Liga just signed a mainstream North American deal (ESPN).

Exposure-wise, sure, England is the biggest league. None of the clubs are bigger brands than Real Madrid though. Manchester United and Liverpool are huge historical brands, but they do not have the glamour of Madrid or even Barca. So, where would he go that would increase his marketability? United? Liverpool? Certainly not City.

PSG is now the Messi show. Football-wise, it does benefit Mbappé tremendously, I agree. Business-wise? If they finally win the CL, sure... but it will still be all about Messi. Like the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl was all about Brady winning with another franchise. The narrative will be that Messi pushed them over the top. Pretty sure Mbappé does not like that. Is it ego? Sure. But it is also earning potential. I would not know how to quantify it though, so I won't fight back too much if someone were to say that it was neglectable.

Honestly, the fact that he is being called a primadonna in France is largely irrelevant. Fans shit on players all the time and they will forget all about his ego next time he has a great performance for the National team. I would be very surprised if very localized public perception would influence his decision.

And... his SD is now trashing him very openly. The relationship seems to be over. He is most than likely moving. For how much? I guess we will get a game a chicken until the deadline. I think the English club rumors are posturing to make Madrid up their offer.

Reactions: les Habs

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Ligue 1 is getting more exposure because of Messi. La Liga will get a big buzz if Mbappé moves. All of it is situational. Madrid and Barca are still huge brands and they will both recover financially soon enough. Trending down today, could be trending up tomorrow. Trends are relevant, but we are not comparing La Liga to EPL here, we are comparing it to a much smaller league.

Ligue 1 is, at best, a one-league team for "visibility" purposes (as we saw last year, it is far from true on the pitch). La Liga has the two biggest brands in club football. La Liga just signed a mainstream North American deal (ESPN).

Exposure-wise, sure, England is the biggest league. None of the clubs are bigger brands than Real Madrid though. Manchester United and Liverpool are huge historical brands, but they do not have the glamour of Madrid or even Barca. So, where would he go that would increase his marketability? United? Liverpool? Certainly not City.

PSG is now the Messi show. Football-wise, it does benefit Mbappé tremendously, I agree. Business-wise? If they finally win the CL, sure... but it will still be all about Messi. Like the Buccaneers winning the Super Bowl was all about Brady winning with another franchise. The narrative will be that Messi pushed them over the top. Pretty sure Mbappé does not like that. Is it ego? Sure. But it is also earning potential. I would not know how to quantify it though, so I won't fight back too much if someone were to say that it was neglectable.

Honestly, the fact that he is being called a primadonna in France is largely irrelevant. Fans shit on players all the time and they will forget all about his ego next time he has a great performance for the National team. I would be very surprised if very localized public perception would influence his decision.

And... his SD is now trashing him very openly. The relationship seems to be over. He is most than likely moving. For how much? I guess we will get a game a chicken until the deadline. I think the English club rumors are posturing to make Madrid up their offer.
It's sure to flip-flop throughout the season, but they just got passed in the coefficient table by Primeira Liga (after a truly shithouse performance by Benfica I might add).

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
It's sure to flip-flop throughout the season, but they just got passed in the coefficient table by Primeira Liga (after a truly shithouse performance by Benfica I might add).

Well, that's performances on the pitch, not marketability. Ligue 1 has more international visibility than Primeira Liga and PSG is a bigger brand, right now, than any Portugese club.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Seems quite reasonable.

Not just yet. Maybe in about two years, but that's a bit much right now all things considered. If a club has the money they shouldn't hesitate in paying it if you ask me. Still that doesn't make it reasonable just yet.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I don't really buy the he has to move now. He has time. Win a CL. Get it done, and move on if you want in the summer.

He does not have to move NOW! But PSG is probably putting pressure to either re-sign or leave now, because they do not want to lose him for nothing.

I do not have any inside info, but from everything that has transpired, Mbappé has always been fine with fulfilling the last year of his contract... that being said, that's also PR, just like PSG making him to villain and portraying themselves as victims that have done EVERYTHING to make him happy is also PR. All parties are negotiating in public right now.

Reactions: Power Man

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Real Madrid just continue to show that there's simply no club on that level of prestige in the sport.

You can add Messi, Ramos, etc. to your Neymar but your most valuable player still wants to go to an inferior Madrid squad.

It's just not possible to deny some of these players' dreams of donning the White.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Klopp, get it done.

(Note, there was a rumor floating that Klopp has called and spoke with him and his dad).

Obviously, I don't really think it's likely. But... one can dream.
Maybe next year.

Next summer with Kane and Haaland in the pool is going to get bloody

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Not just yet. Maybe in about two years, but that's a bit much right now all things considered. If a club has the money they shouldn't hesitate in paying it if you ask me. Still that doesn't make it reasonable just yet.

I was sarcastic. Raiola is everything that's wrong with modern football today. There should be caps on what agents can charge. I highly doubt Uefa will do that because they are a super corrupt.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
He does not have to move NOW! But PSG is probably putting pressure to either re-sign or leave now, because they do not want to lose him for nothing.

I do not have any inside info, but from everything that has transpired, Mbappé has always been fine with fulfilling the last year of his contract... that being said, that's also PR, just like PSG making him to villain and portraying themselves as victims that have done EVERYTHING to make him happy is also PR. All parties are negotiating in public right now.

He could conceivably sign a renewal with PSG now that includes a release clause, which would allow him to stay for 1 year (or longer) with Messi and then leave for Madrid. Seems like that would benefit both sides if he doesn't want to leave immediately. Although he could probably get a bigger pay day by leaving on a free I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad