Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
My last point.

I expect LFC to wake up at some point.. possibly next summer when they realize that oh shit, Chelsea, Arsenal, United have developed a young core of talent while we only focused on motivating our older players for another push... and then invest in younger talent but that would probably be too late.
I think this logic is the consistent thing with this forum especially, though with supporters in general. The new draft pick, the new young wunderkid is always more treasured than the aging vet.

I do think the squad could use a freshen up, but they still have a lot of really good footballers. If Klopp thinks he can still win stuff with them, then, give it a run. You can’t keep selling and developing. At some point, you have to play it out with the top level talent they have. I think some of the younger players are still improving.

That said, if they don’t get a top level midfielder, they’re just idiots. Additionally, I think Firmino is done, but maybe he can be worth it in 20-25 matches, with his minutes going to a wide player going through the middle.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I think this logic is the consistent thing with this forum especially, though with supporters in general. The new draft pick, the new young wunderkid is always more treasured than the aging vet.

I do think the squad could use a freshen up, but they still have a lot of really good footballers. If Klopp thinks he can still win stuff with them, then, give it a run. You can’t keep selling and developing. At some point, you have to play it out with the top level talent they have. I think some of the younger players are still improving.

That said, if they don’t get a top level midfielder, they’re just idiots.
The difference between the new draft pick hype is that Camavinga and Sancho are both, if not already world class, close to it. You’re right that at times you need to roll with the vets but Sancho and Camavinga are not a part of those times. If I was in charge of United’s transfers, I would literally give Rennes a blank check if it meant I got Camavinga for say 5-7 years. Kid is that good.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
[Freek Jansen] Kjell Scherpen is close to transfer to Brighton, not included in Ajax training camp. Brighton will pay Ajax around €5M for the goalkeeper

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
The difference between the new draft pick hype is that Camavinga and Sancho are both, if not already world class, close to it. You’re right that at times you need to roll with the vets but Sancho and Camavinga are not a part of those times. If I was in charge of United’s transfers, I would literally give Rennes a blank check if it meant I got Camavinga for say 5-7 years. Kid is that good.
Yes, exactly. I am not a fan of all wunderkids but there are no brainers...

Not to mention ALL of LFC core are trending near 30 years old. I am not asking for a full rebuild but bringing in younger talent.

Chelsea core is young and already have won a CL. Manchester United are also getting younger and finished above LFC. The writing is already on the wall. The only explanation I have is that Klopp is stubborn and loyal to his core and he does not want a rebuild on the fly. He wants instant contributors.

Reactions: Gecklund

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
I don’t get the sense Pogba is staying at United beyond this season as his contract is done. If you can flip him and buy Camavinga, you obviously do it. I’ve always liked Pogba but I think he’s moving on

Reactions: Gecklund

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland

I don’t disagree. Though I would say both have to prove themselves as they step up a level. Neither has played under that pressure or won a CL. They also haven’t settled into the new situation or figured out how to play into the new side. That is easier in today’s game with more support for players, but it still takes a while to work out. At a minimum, going with a top player out and then integrating a new one in that role, it might mean a season or so of hiccups, which doesn’t help with an aging squad. Look at Chelsea trying to integrate four or five new talents all at once. Took a while to work.

Additionally, and probably more importantly, Liverpool aren’t shopping in that district without selling someone.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Yes, exactly. I am not a fan of all wunderkids but there are no brainers...

Not to mention ALL of LFC core are trending near 30 years old. I am not asking for a full rebuild but bringing in younger talent.

Chelsea core is young and already have won a CL. Manchester United are also getting younger and finished above LFC. The writing is already on the wall. The only explanation I have is that Klopp is stubborn and loyal to his core and he does not want a rebuild on the fly. He wants instant contributors.
All? Trent is 22. Robertson is 27. Jota 24. Either one of Gomez or Konate are sub 25. Fabinho 27, Alisson, 28.

I admit fully the squad is aging. Even if Mane and Salah are 29, there’s a good chance they have 2-3 years of top level football. The problem in some ways is that two of the bridge players in Keita / Ox can’t stay fit. They’re supposed to be in that gap group between the vets and the kids with Robertson and Fabinho. There’s also kids coming up with Jones and Elliott.

The squad is getting older, but a young midfielder or two and it would look different.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I don’t disagree. Though I would say both have to prove themselves as they step up a level. Neither has played under that pressure or won a CL. They also haven’t settled into the new situation or figured out how to play into the new side. That is easier in today’s game with more support for players, but it still takes a while to work out. At a minimum, going with a top player out and then integrating a new one in that role, it might mean a season or so of hiccups, which doesn’t help with an aging squad. Look at Chelsea trying to integrate four or five new talents all at once. Took a while to work.

Additionally, and probably more importantly, Liverpool aren’t shopping in that district without selling someone.
Yes they definitely have challenges that they haven’t faced yet (Sancho/Camavinga). The thing is though that I’d put a lot of money on them working out. It might take a few games but especially Sancho I have a hard time not seeing working out at United, given he has moved to a new country (granted one with a similar culture) and is now coming back. Camavinga might take a few games just to get up to speed with the players and develop that chemistry but I’d put money on him working out by Christmas if he comes to United. Now I also don’t think he will actually come to United until he is officially announced because he’s French and PSG have a huge hole at the position he plays but if he does somehow end up at United I’d put money on him working out.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
All? Trent is 22. Robertson is 27. Jota 24. Either one of Gomez or Konate are sub 25. Fabinho 27, Alisson, 28.

I admit fully the squad is aging. Even if Mane and Salah are 29, there’s a good chance they have 2-3 years of top level football. The problem in some ways is that two of the bridge players in Keita / Ox can’t stay fit. They’re supposed to be in that gap group between the vets and the kids with Robertson and Fabinho. There’s also kids coming up with Jones and Elliott.

The squad is getting older, but a young midfielder or two and it would look different.
I was never talking about the defense/goalkeeper but obviously the midfield and offense.

I mean Camavinga is exactly what LFC need. A young player that can develop into a world beater playing into an aging experienced midfield like LFC. I mean Milner is playing his last season for LFC (most likely), Henderson is not that far behind.

As for the forward Jota will probably start over Firmino but yes a young winger with pace and potential would bring another level to the team.

Ox and Keita have not shown the talent/fitness required and Origi is more of a meme player than a key contributor.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013

That said, if they don’t get a top level midfielder, they’re just idiots. Additionally, I think Firmino is done, but maybe he can be worth it in 20-25 matches, with his minutes going to a wide player going through the middle.
I really hope the LFC Brain Trust isn’t so arrogant (not calling you arrogant, just the line of thinking) that they just assume it’ll be honky-dory next season.

The fact of the matter is LFC have been linked with a bunch on midfielders in the 30m-40m range this summer and quite frankly it’s ridiculous that Camavinga isn’t one of them. This goes for any other team looking in that market too, this isn’t exclusive to LFC., but no one else lost Gini Wijnaldum this summer on a free. It’s lousy talent evaluation.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
This is an absolutely disgusting rumour and that's because United absolutely have the funds to match Rennes offer.

If they get Camavinga, I wonder if that means Pogba is gone to PSG?
I really don’t think getting Camavinga would have anything to do with Pogba leaving. Especially if it’s close to that price point.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I really hope the LFC Brain Trust isn’t so arrogant (not calling you arrogant, just the line of thinking) that they just assume it’ll be honky-dory next season.

The fact of the matter is LFC have been linked with a bunch on midfielders in the 30m-40m range this summer and quite frankly it’s ridiculous that Camavinga isn’t one of them. This goes for any other team looking in that market too, this isn’t exclusive to LFC., but no one else lost Gini Wijnaldum this summer on a free. It’s lousy talent evaluation.

It may just be an opportunity cost calculation & an expectation that they would get priced out of the bidding war on his wages. As with the teams Camavinga has been linked to, even at a steal of a transfer fee, you've gotta figure his wages will be tremendous & eliminate a lot of teams from being viable landing spots, even though they can afford the transfer fee.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Note, I think anyone in the EPL buying Liverpool castoffs is crazy. Sure, Ings has worked out (though I think Liverpool would have liked to keep him). But the list of guys Liverpool has moved on who have done a big fat zilch is lengthy. I know a lot of the teams buying players think they’re smarter than the average fellow, and that’s why they keep rolling the dice, but they’re going to end up burned. Between Edwards and Klopp, they’re not in the business of letting players who are good leave, and they seem to get way more than value.

I don't think their sales have been big flops. Brewster is still young and has had success in the championship before so its a wait and see on him. I think Sheffield paid too much and Wilder didn't want him so was a weird transfer but if he can help get them back in the premier league it could turn out well. Solanke just put up a 20 goal season in the championship. If he was bought last summer after they were relegated to replace Wilson it would have been considered good business and at 23 he would have teams interested in him. Since he was bought in January and was supposed to help avoid relegation and scored just 1 goal he's considered a flop but another 20+ goal season and it's not that bad. Harry Wilson has had some good loan spells in the EPL and championship, if a lower table team is buying for a good price I think it'll be good business. If you are buying hoping he fires you into the top 8 then you'll be disappointed. He should provide 5-10 goals and 5-10 assists. For 10M you can't really ask for much more.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
It may just be an opportunity cost calculation & an expectation that they would get priced out of the bidding war on his wages. As with the teams Camavinga has been linked to, even at a steal of a transfer fee, you've gotta figure his wages will be tremendous & eliminate a lot of teams from being viable landing spots, even though they can afford the transfer fee.
What wages are Utd offering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad