Transfer: Summer Transfer Thread Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Havre

Jul 24, 2011
I wouldn't know, but to me someone like Ox (when healthy) adds some spark to Liverpool that they seem to miss a bit when he isn't playing. For all his individual quality I don't think a player like Thiago works that well for Liverpool (even if I'm expecting it to work better next year). Same goes with Jones. I have seen games where Jones has looked excellent individually (I have seen the opposite as well of course), but where his tendency to hold on to the ball just slows Liverpool down. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it might be enough.

I guess most people thought Keita would be that player, but it seems like he won't be.

Actually Bissouma might be that direct player, but then he wouldn't be a replacement for Wijnaldum - or at least not directly in style. Ox - Fabinho - Bissouma would be difficult to play against. And I think that works better for the heavy metal football Klopp talks about rather than adding Tielemans to the mix. And that has nothing to do with the quality of Tielemans.

Liverpool would be less "sophisticated" with that line-up, but I'm not sure if you will find another Wijnaldum. I don't know why, but few are able to combine such high pass completion with aggressive defending and as well as, at times at least, being a bit of a attacking threat.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Unless Liverpool is willing to part with 100M I see no chance that they get Tielemans. Leicester has no reason to sell for anything less.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Unless Liverpool is willing to part with 100M I see no chance that they get Tielemans. Leicester has no reason to sell for anything less.
Which is why Bissouma is more realistic.

That being said Tielemans contract is running down so if he doesn’t extend maybe Leicester play ball, especially if he wants Champions League. Guess FA Cup doesn’t cut it for recruitment like it used to.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Which is why Bissouma is more realistic.

That being said Tielemans contract is running down so if he doesn’t extend maybe Leicester play ball, especially if he wants Champions League. Guess FA Cup doesn’t cut it for recruitment like it used to.

Leicester isn't recruiting players based on champions league football. They're bringing over players who want to play in the premier league, challenge for top 4, challenge for Cups and play European football. It would be unwise to go for players who only want champions league because they may not make that every year. The only premier league team that could recruit that way is City because they'll always make it.

Burner Account

Feb 14, 2008
I wouldn't know, but to me someone like Ox (when healthy) adds some spark to Liverpool that they seem to miss a bit when he isn't playing. For all his individual quality I don't think a player like Thiago works that well for Liverpool (even if I'm expecting it to work better next year). Same goes with Jones. I have seen games where Jones has looked excellent individually (I have seen the opposite as well of course), but where his tendency to hold on to the ball just slows Liverpool down. It doesn't have to be a lot, but it might be enough.

I guess most people thought Keita would be that player, but it seems like he won't be.

Actually Bissouma might be that direct player, but then he wouldn't be a replacement for Wijnaldum - or at least not directly in style. Ox - Fabinho - Bissouma would be difficult to play against. And I think that works better for the heavy metal football Klopp talks about rather than adding Tielemans to the mix. And that has nothing to do with the quality of Tielemans.

Liverpool would be less "sophisticated" with that line-up, but I'm not sure if you will find another Wijnaldum. I don't know why, but few are able to combine such high pass completion with aggressive defending and as well as, at times at least, being a bit of a attacking threat.
I think Ox (driving runs with the ball and 18+ yard bangers) and Keita (dribbling in tight and taking players on) both inject elements that Liverpool largely lack without them. But for me, Liverpool can no longer spend registration spots on players who are available one out of every five games. At a certain point, being available to play matters more than how you play.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Leicester isn't recruiting players based on champions league football. They're bringing over players who want to play in the premier league, challenge for top 4, challenge for Cups and play European football. It would be unwise to go for players who only want champions league because they may not make that every year. The only premier league team that could recruit that way is City because they'll always make it.
Correct. Their problem is keeping the players who want to leave so that they can play on the CL

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
That would be a LFC record and more than Jadon Sancho rumored price. It will never happen.

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Sell all the mediocre English players to our fellow mid table and lower clubs for the premium they pay for them. Nketiah, Holding, Chambers, AMN and loan out Nelson to see if he can cut it at EPL level. That's 50-60m at least. Luiz is gone with hopefully Willian right behind. After getting rid of the wages of Ozil, Kolasinac, Sokratis and Mustafi in the winter that is a lot of money freed up which they will brilliantly spend on another 60m winger/striker they don't need.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
ZZ leaving Real means a big deal when it comes to Mbappe, Camavinga and others.
Real signing Conte, Allegri or any other coach like this means it has lost a huge drawing in the french market.

Incubajerks

Feb 9, 2010
Roma
I do not know Maignan, I know that he is highly rated in France and I wonder if the price paid by Milan is rather low in relation to the player. Lafont was also very popular but we saw a goalkeeper like many others.

Reactions: luiginb

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Lafont was young. He was particularly good young. Youngest player to start an L1 match (16 year old) and he was great. He has progressed, but not that much. He's still a very good goalie with upside. Some big team will take a flyer on him this summer.

Maignan is different as he blew out later. He's a very good shot stopper (see penalty stats) who is huge with his feet. It's like having an 11th field player. 15M is a surprisingly low price but I think Lille agreed with him to let him go after this season.
He was the easily the best goalie in L1 this year.

mfilipo3

Jan 13, 2017
Lafont was young. He was particularly good young. Youngest player to start an L1 match (16 year old) and he was great. He has progressed, but not that much. He's still a very good goalie with upside. Some big team will take a flyer on him this summer.

Maignan is different as he blew out later. He's a very good shot stopper (see penalty stats) who is huge with his feet. It's like having an 11th field player. 15M is a surprisingly low price but I think Lille agreed with him to let him go after this season.
He was the easily the best goalie in L1 this year.
Evilo, I always value your opinion when it comes to players from the French league. As a die-hard Milan fan, this is promising to hear! Can you give more of a scouting report on Maignan? I've only seen him in the games agains tMilan this year. Also - how highly do you rate Botman? I was very impressed with him too

VEGASKING

Dec 23, 2002
Sin City
www.facebook.com
Milan should have gotten something for Donnarumma while they could but otherwise a nice swap for them. Maignan will make half as much money and you get rid of the cancerous agent at the same time.

Reactions: Evilo

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Evilo, I always value your opinion when it comes to players from the French league. As a die-hard Milan fan, this is promising to hear! Can you give more of a scouting report on Maignan? I've only seen him in the games agains tMilan this year. Also - how highly do you rate Botman? I was very impressed with him too
Thanks.
I'm high on Maignan. As I said, he's got excellent reflexes and reads the play well. Fantastic with his feet, only above average in the air.
The guy is highly ambitious and can come away as arrogant/cocky. But it has helped him.

Botman I rate highly. He started the season with breath taking games. Hit a bit of a rough patch in the last months but he's still a very solid CB. Team that will get him will be happy.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Milan should have gotten something for Donnarumma while they could but otherwise a nice swap for them. Maignan will make half as much money and you get rid of the cancerous agent at the same time.
Maignan will make 2.8M. IIRC Donnarumma will make over 10M.

JeffreyLFC

Sep 29, 2017
This is sad for succesful french teams not named PSG.

As soon a team win something and start having a decent core all the good players of that team are sold and they start another cycle. Ligue 1 need to do better to spread their revenues more equally.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Revenus are spread much more equally than other leagues. So WTF? :dunno:
The main question is indeed the overall revenue. The TV deal is ridiculously low and the taxes are ridiculously high.
Been that way forever.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
That's my argument. Their TV deal is terrible. Mid table clubs in England can scoop up players for relatively cheaply. Players salaries are much higher if they go.

It is a bit of a chicken and an egg argument. If you paid more for players, maybe the revenues would go up, but I think it's hard to break that cycle.

Reactions: Blender
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 1