Speculation: Summer Baggage Thread

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Didn't it end up being Luca Sbisa thoough?
Lol

It did. :laugh: Good heavens is he ever a bust. It's ironic that Philly actually dealt him as part of the package for Pronger and might've still ended up the loser in that trade.

I seem to remember reading from Dater that there were actually some egregious conditions on that trade which almost cost the Avs their 1st the following season, which might've meant that Matt Duchene would've been a Blue Jacket (which ironically may happen anyway :laugh:).

I dunno...in hindsight that deal was indeed foolish, but it brought Foote back into the fold for a unexpectedly good playoff run. Everything fell apart the following season of course, but mainly because Giguere was kind of an idiot and made a series of ridiculously bad moves.

Xokkeu

Apr 5, 2012
Frozen
It did. :laugh: Good heavens is he ever a bust. It's ironic that Philly actually dealt him as part of the package for Pronger and might've still ended up the loser in that trade.

I seem to remember reading from Dater that there were actually some egregious conditions on that trade which almost cost the Avs their 1st the following season, which might've meant that Matt Duchene would've been a Blue Jacket (which ironically may happen anyway :laugh:).

I dunno...in hindsight that deal was indeed foolish, but it brought Foote back into the fold for a unexpectedly good playoff run. Everything fell apart the following season of course, but mainly because Giguere was kind of an idiot and made a series of ridiculously bad moves.

Yeah kid looked good his first year or two, well not good but he could hang as an 18 year old defender which usually bodes a future. He just peaked at 18 lol

Foote for a first rounder was kinda dumb in general but I feel a lot better trading a first round pick when you are a playoff team than when you aren't. I mean you should actually get something for the first rounder but that's different.

member 116861

Would have lost the '09 first rounder if we didn't make the playoffs.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Yeah, I'm guessing Pracey would've opted for Tom Wilson. :laugh: Didn't he always draft from the OHL and WHL only?

He would have "hilariously" still taken Mitchell Heard with our first pick.

But really I'll make an educated guess and say he would have jumped all over Scott Laughton, with his high character and limited offense straight out of the O.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Speaking of MHH :laugh: Here's a bump courtesy of them.

https://www.milehighhockey.com/2017/8/7/16101858/colorado-avalanche-penalty-system-coaching-bednar

I like this piece. Yes, it's a little stats-heavy, but the premise is this: It wasn't Bednar's system that sucked, it was the players. In this case they're talking about the PK, but I think you could apply that to more than just special teams.

Should have looked in this thread... :help:

I see no systems talk in there, just stats talk. If there is something I'm missing there, please enlighten me. If we are going to talk systems, we should be talking about setup, rotations, lanes, pressure points, etc and how they lead to those numbers (and explain why the save percentage is so low... which I believe is a result of the system).

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well, the fancy stats thread is probably more appropriate anyway. :laugh:

Anyhow, I see your point. There should have been a dissection of the actual system and now it differs from Roy's. I seem to remember there was talk at the beginning of the year about how Bednar wanted his guys to challenge shooters and not just sit back and block shots like Roy did. I think however it does drive home the point that depth players utilized in the PK just plain sucked, and they gotta quit using MacKinnon.

Also, small sample size or not, the Avs have just gotta ****ing insert Duncan Siemens into the lineup AND KEEP HIM THERE. Enough already.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I guess I don't like the clickbaity headline with it, especially when Bednar's system involves an aggressive puck side D that opens up a lane into the slot (when the point forward doesn't collapse) or a cross ice lane (when the other D doesn't rotate) that makes the goalies have to transition quickly with shots coming from dangerous areas. If we are going to dissect a system, lets dissect a system... not give high level numbers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad