Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maladroit

May 9, 2018
Berkeley, CA
This year's Pacific is shaping up to be maybe the worst division since the inception of the current divisional playoff format. The Sharks will comfortably make the playoffs and have a good shot at a WCF appearance despite not doing anything. Yeah we're probably not winning the Cup but there's nothing we could have done to significantly increase our chances at that outside of signing Tavares. A Ryan O'Reilly trade was not gonna bring us measurably closer to a championship.

SuperStarFerraro

Jun 21, 2018
I don't want them to make a move just for the sake of making a move. I don't think the needle got moved at all this offseason. Luckily for the Sharks, the rest of the division didn't get that much better.
Kings got Ilya Kovalchuk, yes he’s been out of the league for a while, but he was #1 overall, and he put up amazing numbers in his NHL career... I’m pretty sure he’s going to be effective still given his KHL seasons the past 2 years, he will still be a 25+ goal scorer. Meanwhile.... Every other team though nothing, Vegas got worse losing Perron and Neal, but I am pissed Kings got Kovalchuk would’ve been a great fit with Joe Thornton and Pavs.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
You guys are getting sidetracked... focus on the thread, who can this team go after to improve the roster... like we lost Boedker who was a 15-20 goal scorer the way he’s been playing, who will replace his production? We haven’t gotten better since Dylan ****ing DeMelo resigned our defence is going to be a lot worse... and yeah might not be much but we lost a Mikkel Boedker who was finally finding his game and played well both away and with the Puck. So question is what does Doug Wilson do? Thornton ain’t getting any younger, I’m pretty sure Wilson told him he will try to dress the best roster he can get for one more run for the cup... and the team I’m seeing right now on paper isn’t ****ing it.

As stated, Kane will more than replace Boedker's production plus we should see continued development from Meier, Labanc, and potentially Tierney.

The notion that our defense got a lot worse by having the same players makes no sense.

I predict we add a good player before the season starts due to the fallout of some of the likely trades of big name players that are likely to happen.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA

I would be shocked if Panarin doesn’t get traded at some point between now and the trade deadline. Sounds like he isn’t re-signing in Columbus.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I don't want them to make a move just for the sake of making a move. I don't think the needle got moved at all this offseason. Luckily for the Sharks, the rest of the division didn't get that much better.
Agreed. Vegas got worse losing Neal and Perron. Also skeptical that Karlsson is able to replicate last season. LA's bottom 6 is still really really weak and their defense outside of Doughty/Muzzin sucks. Anaheim is the same team we swept with the addition of a healthy Patrick Eaves but are still old and slow and may be without Kesler (although that may not be a bad thing). I honestly think the biggest competition will come from Edmonton and Calgary this year. Also think Arizona may surprise some people as well if their young forwards take a step forward. Really love the Galchenyuk addition there.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013

I would be shocked if Panarin doesn’t get traded at some point between now and the trade deadline. Sounds like he isn’t re-signing in Columbus.

Columbus would be smart to move both Panarin and Bobrovsky as neither are likely to sign back with them. Not sure what teams are in the starting goalie market for a rental at this point, but Bob surely has value as one of the top 5 goalies in the league.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Columbus would be smart to move both Panarin and Bobrovsky as neither are likely to sign back with them. Not sure what teams are in the starting goalie market for a rental at this point, but Bob surely has value as one of the top 5 goalies in the league.
I don't see CBJ dealing Panarin till the TDL. They made the playoffs last year and lost to Washington despite going up 2-0 in that series. Bobrovsky may be harder to move at the TDL because of his cap hit.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Agreed. Vegas got worse losing Neal and Perron. Also skeptical that Karlsson is able to replicate last season. LA's bottom 6 is still really really weak and their defense outside of Doughty/Muzzin sucks. Anaheim is the same team we swept with the addition of a healthy Patrick Eaves but are still old and slow and may be without Kesler (although that may not be a bad thing). I honestly think the biggest competition will come from Edmonton and Calgary this year. Also think Arizona may surprise some people as well if their young forwards take a step forward. Really love the Galchenyuk addition there.

Agreed on premise but you can’t forget Fowler for Anaheim. Of course, we just added Thornton so I still think we’re better.

THat doesn't sound like Tavares at all. Tavares gave somewhat false hope that he'd stay - like KD did w/ OKC.

The woman is saying the quote is “@Tavares”. So I think the implication there is that Panarin is letting them know now that he’s probably leaving, so as not to be compared to Tavares and hated when he does leave.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Agreed on premise but you can’t forget Fowler for Anaheim. Of course, we just added Thornton so I still think we’re better.

The woman is saying the quote is “@Tavares”. So I think the implication there is that Panarin is letting them know now that he’s probably leaving, so as not to be compared to Tavares and hated when he does leave.

And it goes for any potential trade partner for him. To not expect him to become all giddy to sign there just because they aquired him.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
I personally don't think Fowler is really good at all so that is probably why he slipped my mind hah. I still think one of the California teams has a big move left in it somewhere. Would not be shocked to see Pacioretty end up on any of the 3 Cali teams.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
The only way I see this Sharks team having any chance at the Stanley Cup for the 2018-2019 season is if Joe Thornton returns and plays at he level he played at during the 2015-2016 season. If he does, then I could see an argument being made for us being a contender with a Faulk level addition.

A Pacioretty type, I’m just not seeing it. I really think our forward depth is fine and I’m not seeing a fit for Pacioretty in the top-6.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Obviously having better players is going to help teams be better than their opponent. I'd think that is fairly obvious. The point is every season since WWII there are multiple teams in the league that have superstars and often multiple superstars which do not win. So clearly having superstars isn't the only ingredient to winning. It seems lazy to say you must have a superstar on your team to win the Cup when half the teams in the league any given season will have superstars. Sure, every team that has won the Cup since whenever has had a superstar, but how many with superstars have not won the Cup. It's a lazy oversimplification of winning the SC.

Ohhhhhhhhhh my god literally no one said that having superstars was a guaranteed Cup.

TomasHertlsRooster

May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Very simple stuff:

Proven fact: humans need water to survive
Poor argument against this proven fact: some humans have drank water in the past and still died
A strong argument against this would be: examples of humans that have not drank water and have still survived

The argument we are trying to prove: NHL teams need to (tank, have elite superstar #1C, get lucky, etc.) to win the Stanley Cup
Poor argument against this argument: some NHL teams have (tanked, had elite superstar #1C, got lucky, etc.) and still not won the Stanley Cup.
A strong argument against this would be: examples of NHL teams that have not (tanked, had elite superstar #1C, got lucky, etc.) and still won the Stanley Cup. (These are all few and far between and have circumstances surrounding them which we can’t reasonably expect to replicate, in my opinion).

Nobody is suggesting the Sharks would instantly win a Cup if they tanked, or had superstars. I’m suggesting the Sharks and other teams that won’t tank/don’t have superstars like STL currently have no chance at a Cup and will never win a Cup unless they acquire superstars and/or tank.

Last edited:
Reactions: StanleyCup2035

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
If sharks can be more competitive than LA and outlive their window and win a cup or two, id consider that a bigger blow than a reverse sweep. Though unlike other sharks fans, I think we could easily survive a rebuild. Warrior fans didn't stop watching before they got their championship team, different sports, but still, I highly doubt bay area sport fans wouldn't reward an organization that gave them 15-20 years of playoffs. A rebuild would probably bring back numbers, and have something new to look forward to and get excited about. Remaining competitive does have its benefits though, I think if we can hold past 4 years the culture will be undeniable and we'll start winning in FA, I think players are just waiting to see what happens to the sharks post Joe Thornton.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad