Speculation: Summer 2018 Roster Discussion Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Sure. And of those would work as well. Balcers, Praplan, Radil, Gambrell, Suomela. Heck, maybe the CH-twins surpise us in the Development Camp. We have no prospect at this time that is 'guaranteed' to be a NHL player this coming season, hence the 'roll of the dice' part.

I mean we just need an impact 3rd line player to become a 'playoff' team. Not landing Tavares strongly impacted us from being a strong SC contender but I am hoping DW goes all in this season. i.e trade for a top-4D + top-6 F

If he cannot land both pieces, I would be totally fine if he packs it in saying that we are a playoff team without adding more pieces and want to see if one of the kids can step up. It would suck because this may very well be Jumbo's last year and it would be a waste unless we are trying to make a serious run. Plus, we don't have our 1st round pick for next year which is going to suck if we end up missing the playoffs.

I agree with you, but just one thing that you might have forgotten, and have seen some other posts as well most likely forgetting.

If we miss the playoffs this year, we can retain our first round pick, and give BUF our 2020 pick instead. So at the very least if we do wind up with a lottery pick this year, we do not have to give it up if we do not want to.

However I agree we should be going for it the best we can, to try to get Jumbo (and everyone else) a cup before he is done.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I agree with you, but just one thing that you might have forgotten, and have seen some other posts as well most likely forgetting.

If we miss the playoffs this year, we can retain our first round pick, and give BUF our 2020 pick instead. So at the very least if we do wind up with a lottery pick this year, we do not have to give it up if we do not want to.

However I agree we should be going for it the best we can, to try to get Jumbo (and everyone else) a cup before he is done.
I thought our 2019 1st round pick was only lottery protected?

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
I thought our 2019 1st round pick was only lottery protected?

Any team that misses the playoffs is a lottery pick now I thought?

However per CapFriendly, the condition only says "misses the playoffs" so whether that is a lottery pick now, or not, does not seem to apply.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Any team that misses the playoffs is a lottery pick now I thought?

However per CapFriendly, the condition only says "misses the playoffs" so whether that is a lottery pick now, or not, does not seem to apply.
Ah ok. I thought lottery pick meant if we won the lottery .. LOL.

I am going to pretty surprised if we go into this season with no other addition in our top-4 D or top-6 F. We have the cap space to make it work and good enough expendable pieces (Tierney, Labanc) and prospects to land upgrades for those positions.

Guess we wait and see.

Reactions: Gecklund

Dicdonya

Jul 21, 2011
Ah ok. I thought lottery pick meant if we won the lottery .. LOL.

I am going to pretty surprised if we go into this season with no other addition in our top-4 D or top-6 F. We have the cap space to make it work and good enough expendable pieces (Tierney, Labanc) and prospects to land upgrades for those positions.

Guess we wait and see.

Hey maybe it does lol, and that might be why it says if they miss the playoffs and not "lottery protected" which is a phrase used often around here. I know every team gets put in the lottery that misses the playoffs, however maybe the phrase is used in the way you thought of it. I do not know for sure, darn it. :laugh:

Ill be very surprised too if no one else is added to the team as well.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
Thinking about scoring wingers that could/should be available. We have talked ad nauseum about the obvious ones like Pacioretty, Skinner, and Panarin, but the name I think DW would be wisest to target (and would fit like an absolute glove on the Hertl-Couture line) is Jordan Eberle. He is entering the final year of his contract and will be a UFA following this season.

The Islanders without Tavares are likely looking at a 2-3+ year rebuild and would be wise to move Eberle as I find it unlikely he signs there to go through another rebuild after most of his Edmonton career was a rebuild. DW could either use Labanc and a pick straight up for him (and Labanc go back home to NY where he is from) or use Labanc in a deal for another piece and use a combination of prospects and pick for Eberle as a replacement/upgrade to Labanc.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Thinking about scoring wingers that could/should be available. We have talked ad nauseum about the obvious ones like Pacioretty, Skinner, and Panarin, but the name I think DW would be wisest to target (and would fit like an absolute glove on the Hertl-Couture line) is Jordan Eberle. He is entering the final year of his contract and will be a UFA following this season.

The Islanders without Tavares are likely looking at a 2-3+ year rebuild and would be wise to move Eberle as I find it unlikely he signs there to go through another rebuild after most of his Edmonton career was a rebuild. DW could either use Labanc and a pick straight up for him (and Labanc go back home to NY where he is from) or use Labanc in a deal for another piece and use a combination of prospects and pick for Eberle as a replacement/upgrade to Labanc.

I think Skinner and Panarin are going to be too expensive. Pacioretty may be a real option. But I would not be totally surprised if DW goes out and gets a winger that we did not expect to get. If we do end up trading a piece like Tierney or Labanc, I would definitely want either a young signed player or a player whose next contract will be as an RFA. The thing that worries me about Panarin and Skinner is that there is no guarantee that they stick around after they hit UFA. I think Pacioretty would though.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
Ya, I don’t think Eberle is our kind of player. Never been too impressed with him. Panarin and Trouba. Pacioretty is meh and Skinner just doesn’t excite me. Honestly, worse comes to worse, I would be fine picking up Rick Nash for cheap and calling it a day. Hope for a good TDL add. I would do what we did this year for Kane with Panarin.

Pacioretty especially is just waiting to underperform somewhere. His per 60 metrics aren’t great. Panarin on the other hand produces at a rate close to Tavares.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
It's just my opinion, but I don't think the prevailing wisdom of trading for a winger or defenseman is a good one. We know what this team needs, a #1C. Taking away areas of solid depth to improve on areas other than the #1C spot just seems like treading water. Trading for pending UFAs with young players seems like going in the wrong direction.

We've missed on Tavares, but we were in the hunt. We know what DW is looking for, and hopefully he can find it in the next year, but I don't think using our very limited assets to acquire anything other than that position is a good idea.

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

LA Shark

Hello Darkness My Old Freind
Feb 18, 2017
Southern California
It's just my opinion, but I don't think the prevailing wisdom of trading for a winger or defenseman is a good one. We know what this team needs, a #1C. Taking away areas of solid depth to improve on areas other than the #1C spot just seems like treading water. Trading for pending UFAs with young players seems like going in the wrong direction.

We've missed on Tavares, but we were in the hunt. We know what DW is looking for, and hopefully he can find it in the next year, but I don't think using our very limited assets to acquire anything other than that position is a good idea.
Who is this number 1c that is going to be available in the next year though? Tavares was the best free agent since the salary cap. Trading for Patches and Faulk is realistic, thinking were ganna have a true 1c anytime soon is not imo. The best way to get a 1c is through the draft and we won't be doing that anytime soon either. I hope I'm wrong but I just dont see some superstar 1c falling into our lap.

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
I don’t think we need a #1c - I think we need a high-end playmaker. Hertl can take the face-offs. To me, Panarin fills that void. I think he is our best bet with Tavares off the board.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I don’t think we need a #1c - I think we need a high-end playmaker. Hertl can take the face-offs. To me, Panarin fills that void. I think he is our best bet with Tavares off the board.

And has made it clear he has no interest in coming here.

Reactions: FunkyPhin

jarr92

May 7, 2013

I agree. Either Panarin, Seguin, or one of the centers from Florida. Don’t see another good option

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

Eberle is overrated. He gets all this love as a "clutch" goalscorer and other nonsense, but he pretty much is what he is: 20-25 goals, 50-60 points, no D. None of that is necessarily bad, but he's an OK 2nd line scorer who gets treated as if he's a much higher caliber

He would've probably been good alongside Thornton Prime, but I don't see him as a good fit for the Sharks now. Besides, if we're talking about a guy to fit with Cooch-Hertl, I'd rather a playmaker. Hertl controls the puck, gets it to the playmaker, and then Couture is the triggerman.

Jaleel619

Nov 16, 2016
SJ
It was back in his crank days and he was pedelling for escobar, the kid with the sharks hat was just a cover.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Eberle is overrated. He gets all this love as a "clutch" goalscorer and other nonsense, but he pretty much is what he is: 20-25 goals, 50-60 points, no D. None of that is necessarily bad, but he's an OK 2nd line scorer who gets treated as if he's a much higher caliber

He would've probably been good alongside Thornton Prime, but I don't see him as a good fit for the Sharks now. Besides, if we're talking about a guy to fit with Cooch-Hertl, I'd rather a playmaker. Hertl controls the puck, gets it to the playmaker, and then Couture is the triggerman.

Quoted and bolded for emphasis. A lot of people are talking about players like Skinner, Pacioretty, and JVR as fits for Hertl-Couture, but Couture has always done best with a left handed F1 comparable to Hertl on his LW (Marleau, Clowe), and a right handed F2 comparable to Donskoi on his RW. (Havlat, LaBanc)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Quoted and bolded for emphasis. A lot of people are talking about players like Skinner, Pacioretty, and JVR as fits for Hertl-Couture, but Couture has always done best with a left handed F1 comparable to Hertl on his LW (Marleau, Clowe), and a right handed F2 comparable to Donskoi on his RW. (Havlat, LaBanc)

Panarin might actually be a good fit. He showed more playmaking panache last season with Columbus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad