Summer '15 Thread (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I'm doubtful this happens, but to your comment -- depends on your definition of way too much.

Anything over 200 lbs per player. :laugh:

Seriously, something like our 1st this year, 2 2nds this year, Wennberg, Milano and Golobuef. Even then I don't think that would get it done. Teams just don't trade top pairing guys too often unless there is a request or some underlying issue.

Nashville is a bit unusual having a guy like Jones stuck behind Shea Weber but most teams would give "way too much" to be in that situation.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
For all you who think we're getting a top pairing D man in trade, enjoy the trip. Short of us giving up way too much it just isn't going to happen.

It'll be costly but it's not quite as impossible as you suggest. Look at Winnipeg. Myers and Trouba are both developing with a strong possibility of turning into #1RHD. And they already have Big Buff as a #1RHD. There is a price, theoretically, that is worthwhile for us to pay and makes it worthwhile for the Jets to send one of those guys here.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
It'll be costly but it's not quite as impossible as you suggest. Look at Winnipeg. Myers and Trouba are both developing with a strong possibility of turning into #1RHD. And they already have Big Buff as a #1RHD. There is a price, theoretically, that is worthwhile for us to pay and makes it worthwhile for the Jets to send one of those guys here.

Developing, not there yet. I was assuming people were talking about trading for a guy ready to step in. Trouba would be the guy of those 3 I'd want and maybe the price wouldn't be ridiculous. Still it wouldn't be cheap. Unless we are filling a Winnipeg need I don't think they give up on Trouba.

You are familiar with the Jets what are their needs and what do you think we could give up to get a guy like Trouba?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Developing, not there yet. I was assuming people were talking about trading for a guy ready to step in. Trouba would be the guy of those 3 I'd want and maybe the price wouldn't be ridiculous. Still it wouldn't be cheap. Unless we are filling a Winnipeg need I don't think they give up on Trouba.

You are familiar with the Jets what are their needs and what do you think we could give up to get a guy like Trouba?

Well Jones isn't there yet either. Let me reformulate my statement of the Jackets biggest need: a #1 RHD or a young RHD with #1 upside. We have neither. David Savard is the closest and he's not close, and never going to be.

The Jets don't have glaring needs, and they're a budget team, so I can imagine they'd make a trade for prospects and picks. Byfuglien has a year left before UFA, so he might be the odd man out. How would you feel paying $7m+ a year to Buff? I'd be hesitant, but it does remind me of when Boston signed Chara. The Bruins were developing a solid core of hard-working players but had no top D. They took a chance on a late-blooming Chara and it turned out he had his best years in his 30's and they won a cup.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Well Jones isn't there yet either. Let me reformulate my statement of the Jackets biggest need: a #1 RHD or a young RHD with #1 upside. We have neither. David Savard is the closest and he's not close, and never going to be.

The Jets don't have glaring needs, and they're a budget team, so I can imagine they'd make a trade for prospects and picks. Byfuglien has a year left before UFA, so he might be the odd man out. How would you feel paying $7m+ a year to Buff? I'd be hesitant, but it does remind me of when Boston signed Chara. The Bruins were developing a solid core of hard-working players but had no top D. They took a chance on a late-blooming Chara and it turned out he had his best years in his 30's and they won a cup.
If we thought we could resign him I'd be all in for Buff.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011

I don't know. One of the problems with the Jackets roster is that 42 mill is being spent on F's (a lot for 4-5 years), Joey is going to be looking for 8+ and Bob is locked at 7.5 so not much is left for D where I think next year we have 7 signed for 14 mill. Dropping 7 on Buff or any D is problematic. If the trade included Tyutin or Johnson that would free up 4.5 so it becomes a bit more workable.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
I don't know. One of the problems with the Jackets roster is that 42 mill is being spent on F's (a lot for 4-5 years), Joey is going to be looking for 8+ and Bob is locked at 7.5 so not much is left for D where I think next year we have 7 signed for 14 mill. Dropping 7 on Buff or any D is problematic. If the trade included Tyutin or Johnson that would free up 4.5 so it becomes a bit more workable.

I think you only give up Toots or JMFJ is if you feel the youngsters that are cheap can actually replace them. Otherwise I think you look to take a bit of a loss on our forwards for value (Bourque/Clarkson for cheap - yeah I know).

Next year:
Bourque has a cap hit of 3.33M
Clarkson 5.25M
Dubi 5.8M
Foligno 5.5M
Hartnell 4.75M
Cam 3.5
Arty 3.28 (and due a raise after next season likely)

Kind of seems like Letestu will be gone just due to money unless he signs cheap. It also seems like there's some cap relief on the horizon (Bourque gone and likely Arty sadly) to sign Joey. Here's what I hope for really; Clarkson recovers his game a bit and we can trade him. I'd rather the juggling Joey's RW and have a better D man than Clarkson and a middling D man.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Right Handed Defensemen that I find intriguing:

Seth Jones
Sami Vatanen
John Klingberg
Brent Burns (yes he's 30)
Ryan Ellis
Chris Tanev
Jared Spurgeon
Adam Larsson
Damon Severson

Jones and Tanev would probably be the ones I would want to look at hardest.

Stretch Factor

Jun 26, 2007
Right Handed Defensemen that I find intriguing:

Seth Jones
Sami Vatanen
John Klingberg
Brent Burns (yes he's 30)
Ryan Ellis
Chris Tanev
Jared Spurgeon
Adam Larsson
Damon Severson

Jones and Tanev would probably be the ones I would want to look at hardest.

What's the latest on Larsson? Was he in the doghouse at one point with NJ? Is he still? I seem to remember either the fans or the FO were starting to sour on him.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
What's the latest on Larsson? Was he in the doghouse at one point with NJ? Is he still? I seem to remember either the fans or the FO were starting to sour on him.

My understanding was somewhat misuse and the previous coach combined with some inconsistent/bad play. Seems to have recovered though.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
My understanding was somewhat misuse and the previous coach combined with some inconsistent/bad play. Seems to have recovered though.
Yup, I've seen a lot of Devils fan say ever since Deboer got fired, he's been outstanding. Although that was said a while ago, no idea how he's been lately.

Also agree on Tanev. He is due for a big raise though. His last 2 contracts were a bridge contract. Only keeps on getting better and don't think he plans on taking a 3rd bridge deal.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Yup, I've seen a lot of Devils fan say ever since Deboer got fired, he's been outstanding. Although that was said a while ago, no idea how he's been lately.

Also agree on Tanev. He is due for a big raise though. His last 2 contracts were a bridge contract. Only keeps on getting better and don't think he plans on taking a 3rd bridge deal.

Everything I've seen makes me think he's worth it

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
So with the Dano-Wennberg-Hartnell line playing as arguably our best line right now if they keep it up what do you expect lines to be next year?
71 19 13 scoring
38 17 42 best two way line ever?
43 41 56 young bloods and dad
11 55 18/32 4th line

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
So with the Dano-Wennberg-Hartnell line playing as arguably our best line right now if they keep it up what do you expect lines to be next year?
71 19 13 scoring
38 17 42 best two way line ever?
43 41 56 young bloods and dad
11 55 18/32 4th line

I was thinking about this very thing this morning

I don't think both Letestu & Arty are here next season; one maybe but not both.

therefore my lines would be:

Jenner-Joey-Foligno
Hartnell-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Dubi-Cam
Rychel-Anisimov/Letestu-Clarkson (if neither C are here sub
Chaput or Karlsson)
Boll Morin

The magnificent on D :help:

Obviously things could and probably will change but this is way I see it.
Assumes a Bourque buyout or trade. If not, Rychel or Morin are the likely guys to go down.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I think we only need to make four moves before training camp. Two of them should be simple, two of them not.
1. Trade Anisimov+2016 draft pick+(Prout, Falk, Boll, Golobef, Chaput, Morin or Bourque) for a top four defender - preferably defensive, physical and right-handed shot
2. Get Reilly signed
3. Resign Letestu
4. Resign MacElhinney

That's a playoff team if I ever saw one.

Last edited:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I think we only need to make four moves before training camp. Two of them should be simple, two of them not.
1. Trade Anisimov+ (Prout, Falk, Golobef, Chaput, Morin or Bourque) for a top pairing defender - preferably defensive, physical and right-handed shot
2. Get Reilly signed
3. Resign Letestu
4. Resign MacElhinney

That's a playoff team if I ever saw one.

I'd agree if only you were realistic. Anisimov and one of those minor pieces don't get you a top pairing D. You'd be lucky to get a second pair D for that.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If the deal was Anisimov+Cam+2016 draft for a top 4 D would you do it?

I would because that deal only includes 1 year of Anisimov.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
If the deal was Anisimov+Cam+2016 draft for a top 4 D would you do it?

I would because that deal only includes 1 year of Anisimov.

dont think I would unless Bjork can come in and play. I really am wanting to trade cam less and less. put him with joey, we know how cam can be, Detroit the other night... not ready to see him go. personally I would rather keep anisimov than letestu. hopefully resign arty for a bit more than we pay him now. arty can score 20g a year and is a 2/3C and is younger. I would like to keep them both though.

I would probably do Anisimov + 2016 1st + dprospect but nothing more

major major

Feb 18, 2013
We could just be using different definitions here, but when I say top pair d, I mean the top 60 d men in the league, and when I say second pair, I mean 60 through 120. Imo JJ, Savard, Connauton, Tyuts, and for now Murray, are all in that 60 through 120 range, or close to it. Adding another guy in that range doesnt do a whole lot, adding someone above them would be huge.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
dont think I would unless Bjork can come in and play. I really am wanting to trade cam less and less. put him with joey, we know how cam can be, Detroit the other night... not ready to see him go. personally I would rather keep anisimov than letestu. hopefully resign arty for a bit more than we pay him now. arty can score 20g a year and is a 2/3C and is younger. I would like to keep them both though.

I would probably do Anisimov + 2016 1st + dprospect but nothing more

Johansen, Dubinsky, Wennberg, Letestu, Karlsson - and Jenner's natural position is center. We've got plenty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad