Summer '15 Thread (All Proposals/Blog Rumors in here)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
if I did my calculations correctly, with everyone we have signed as of now and their cap hits CBJ will have a caphit of 62.232 mill next year. with a Bonus cushion of 3.265 that leaves CBJ with around 10 mill to sign free agents : Letestu, Calvert, Skille, Gibbons, Golo, Falk, McBackup and Chaput. Hopefully the FO signs 11/55/29/McB at the very least.

Worried about the 2017 ish season with Clarkson making 7 mill, duby making a lot jenner with a raise and joey getting a pay day

But with this year lets say calvert gets about 3.5 mill x3-4
Letestu gets 2.5 mill x3
McB gets .9 mill x 2
and Chaput gets .9 mill x 3
Golo gets .9 mill x 3
one of skille/gibbons gets 1 mill x2

tried to overestimate but if this is the case and we let the others walk that comes to 9.7 mill letting us have .3 mill in cap space. that's not good for us. (this is overestimating I believe so maybe its not as bad)

Clarkson and boll contracts kill us

my point is we don't have money to get ufas

someone please tell me im wrong :help:

Last edited by a moderator:

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
I know people don't like Clarkson and Bourque because of their salaries but we're not the ones paying them. And if set up for success with two line mates that can pass and get the puck on net for rebounds they can score some goals and have done so in the past. And we do have some young skilled players we can line them up with. As seen at every deadline bad contracts inexplicably get moved in deals that no one sees coming. Our cap is not wrecked. The rest of the story hasn't been told and when healthy our forward lines look nice and I will be glad to not have Boll, Tropp, and the like in the lineup. I for one am grateful for the upgrades to the forward depth.

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
if I did my calculations correctly, with everyone we have signed as of now and their cap hits CBJ will have a caphit of 62.232 mill next year. with a Bonus cushion of 3.265 that leaves CBJ with around 10 mill to sign free agents : Letestu, Calvert, Skille, Gibbons, Golo, Falk, McBackup and Chaput. Hopefully the FO signs 11/55/29/McB at the very least.

Worried about the 2017 ish season with Clarkson making 7 mill, duby making a lot jenner with a raise and joey getting a pay day

But with this year lets say calvert gets about 3.5 mill x3-4
Letestu gets 2.5 mill x3
McB gets .9 mill x 2
and Chaput gets .9 mill x 3
Golo gets .9 mill x 3
one of skille/gibbons gets 1 mill x2

tried to overestimate but if this is the case and we let the others walk that comes to 9.7 mill letting us have .3 mill in cap space. that's not good for us. (this is overestimating I believe so maybe its not as bad)

Clarkson and boll contracts kill us

my point is we don't have money to get ufas

someone please tell me im wrong :help:

I think you're right about the Jackets being up against it. However there is room for creativity and the fact that the 2013 Draft saw us take three players in the first round helps to free up cap space.

With everyone healthy Letestu is a luxury. Wennberg will look better with more skilled line mates then what he usually had last year. Also William Karlsson was beloved by Ducks posters on here and is certainly skilled. Who knows maybe Milano is lights out in camp and preseason and can't be denied a roster spot. Skille doesn't need to be resigned, ditto Gibbons.

All the free agent defensemen are really number three or four guys. I would rather we got more under the cap by not resigning the above but by also not losing our heads and signing a second pairing guy to 5-6 million per year this offseason.

I've seen what Kekalainen can do with drafting forwards and would like to keep our likely to be top eight pick this year and see what Jarmo does with the defense.

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
Also I do like Calvert but injuries have seen to it that he won't get the same pay day as Atkinson. Agents have to bring some facts/stats to the table and injuries have limited his time.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
All the free agent defensemen are really number three or four guys. I would rather we got more under the cap by not resigning the above but by also not losing our heads and signing a second pairing guy to 5-6 million per year this offseason.

Guys like Sekera and Boychuk have emerged as solid top pair guys. $6m might or might not be too much for them, but they're well within the top 60 D-men in the league, and in my opinion we don't have a single D-man at that level.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
I know people don't like Clarkson and Bourque because of their salaries but we're not the ones paying them. And if set up for success with two line mates that can pass and get the puck on net for rebounds they can score some goals and have done so in the past. And we do have some young skilled players we can line them up with. As seen at every deadline bad contracts inexplicably get moved in deals that no one sees coming. Our cap is not wrecked. The rest of the story hasn't been told and when healthy our forward lines look nice and I will be glad to not have Boll, Tropp, and the like in the lineup. I for one am grateful for the upgrades to the forward depth.

what do you mean?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I haven't had the opportunity to watch a lot of games (work), and almost all of what I followed were the horrific injuries that just wouldn't stop piling up. I'm trying to wrap my head around what a healthy Jackets team even looks like right now. Please rip this apart so I can know what to look forward to.

Foligno-Johansen-Jenner
Harnell-Dubinsky-Clarkson
Calvert-Anisimov-Atkinson
Dano-Wennberg-Skille?
Morin-Letestu-Gibbons?
Tropp-Milano-Boll?

Okay.

1. Milano isn't close. He was a project when we drafted him and he still is.
2. Clarkson will be on the fourth line, and maybe Calvert too, so that Dano and Wennberg can play higher up. I might prefer to send Wennberg down for much of the year, but that's not realistic anymore.

This is a good model line up, below:

My hope for our forwards next year.

Foligno-Johansen-Atkinson
Jenner-Dubinsky-Hartnell
Anisimov-Wennberg-Dano
Calvert-Karlsson-Clarkson
Bourque
Morin

major major

Feb 18, 2013
No way do I trade that pick.

If we trade that pick we are assuming we are 1 player away from being a championship team.

If we are trading for a 27 year old with a couple years left on his contract, I'd agree with what you're saying, but Seth Jones is the next Chris Pronger and he's 20 years old.

you wouldn't trade it in a package for Seth Jones, Douggie Hammilton, or Adam Larsson...

if its not top 3 I would for sure

There are likely to be several D-men in this draft way better than Larsson, and a couple better than Hamilton, and perhaps none better than Jones.

Does something like Anisimov, RFA Calvert, Wennberg and a 2nd get it done for a Jones? More?

Not close IMO.

agreed. Don't know what the value on Jones is but id imagine 2015 1st + Anisimov +

I think this is closer. I tried to come up with something earlier to offer the Preds where we could keep our 1st, and it isn't pretty. JJ + Anisimov + Milano + 2 2nds for Jones + Stalberg. (There's no way the Preds would trade Jones and take on salary, hence we take Stalberg).

But if you ask Preds fans they'd want even more, and it might still be in our interest to pay more.

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
what do you mean?

Not just in NHL but I think in all sports some fans will be overly critical of a player because of where they actually fall on the depth chart and where other players making similar salaries fall on depth charts. Sort of a bitterness towards the player for making millions. When the truth is most teams are up against the cap in all leagues because you have to pay those that are skilled at what they do. Salary caps are not new. Smart GMs have learned about creativity and wiggle room. And there are plenty of teams up against the cap every year in every league moving bad contracts, signing free agents and making crucial deadline trades. No reason to be critical of a player strictly because of their salary. If Clarkson's cap hit wasn't bonkers would anyone mind him being on the roster playing third or fourth line minutes? I only dislike when players take up both a roster spot and cap space as well and offer you nothing in offense. He's much better than some of the players that have suited up for the Jackets this year. I know he didn't score in Toronto but he probably couldn't handle the media glare. Wouldn't be the first player to start scoring once moving to a small media town.

If Clarkson produces he could be moved for assets next year and problem solved.

If people don't like Clarkson because of his salary compared to production because of ticket prices, tickets, and concessions then that's a whole other ball of wax.

Last edited:

EDM

Mar 8, 2008
There will be trades at the draft or this summer. Most likely Anisimov. Maybe another of our "senior" d-men. Maybe Atkinson. Some space will be cleared at that time.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Joey 4.0
Foligno 5.5
Dubi 5.85
Hartnell 4.75
Clarkson 5.25
Anisimov 3.3
Atkinson 3.0
Jenner .8
Wennberg 1.0
Morin .8
Boll 1.7
Dano 1.0
Calvert 1.75 (est)
Rychel 1.0 (placeholder - could be a lot of guys)

Forward total 41.45.2

Murray .9
Prout 1.1
Connauton .7
Johnson 4.4
Tyutin 4.5
Savard 1.3
Golo 1.0 (estimate)

Defense total 13.9 (this is very scary-reflects the inexperience of the D)

Bob 7.4
C-Mac 1.0

Goalies 8.4

Bourque 1.1 (cap hi assuming buyout)

Total cap 64.85 (may be off a couple 100k due to some rounding)

Conclusions & Possible scenarios

Letestu gone
Unlikely to sign big UFA
Anisimov likely candidate for trade - could free up a couple mill by putting Hickok in at 4C, Wennberg at 3C. Would weaken team next year but the following year he is gone anyway, imo.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Murray .9
Prout 1.1
Connauton .7
Johnson 4.4
Tyutin 4.5
Savard 1.3
Golo 1.0 (estimate)

Defense total 13.9 (this is very scary-reflects the inexperience of the D)

Murray has bonuses which make his hit a possible 3.494 million. I can't imagine that they're going to be too difficult to make. I don't know what triggers these bonuses. It would be nice to know what does.

Would put cap hit at $67.3 million with your assumptions.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CLB?year=2015

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Murray has bonuses which make his hit a possible 3.494 million. I can't imagine that they're going to be too difficult to make. I don't know what triggers these bonuses. It would be nice to know what does.

Would put cap hit at $67.3 million with your assumptions.

http://stats.nhlnumbers.com/teams/CLB?year=2015

I've read several places that these ELC bonuses are tough to hit. Either way we'll be under the cap but not much flexibility without some trades.

Mayor Bee

Dec 29, 2008
....and now there's no longer the chance to gain any cap relief by putting someone on LTIR.

JackieMoon

Howson Apologist
Jun 11, 2011
Dayton, Ohio
....and now there's no longer the chance to gain any cap relief by putting someone on LTIR.

This is true and stings some what. I think ownership was more concerned with spending real money for a player not to play then they were cap room. Jarmo did the best that he could with a move that was forced on him. He got a NHL caliber player in return for money that ownership was going to have to spend but didn't want to but Toronto has no problem swallowing. The Jackets don't have the cash to essentially pay ten million dollars for one roster spot. Which is what they would have been doing if the kept Horton's cap relief and signed his replacement off the open market or traded for a top six forward already under contract. And while Clarkson isn't currently a top six forward he's shown in the past he can produce like one and is still an NHL player and forces the Jackets to not dress an AHL tweener. Pick any name of one of the guys we've dressed this year that fit the AHL tweener description and take them off our NHL depth chart and we're now a better team for it.

I'm also not worried about next year's cap because we're unlikely to be true Cup contenders next year and the team is more than adding a top four defensemen away from being able to do damage in the playoffs. I want nothing to do with the free agent frenzy on July 1st. No thanks.

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
Not just in NHL but I think in all sports some fans will be overly critical of a player because of where they actually fall on the depth chart and where other players making similar salaries fall on depth charts. Sort of a bitterness towards the player for making millions. When the truth is most teams are up against the cap in all leagues because you have to pay those that are skilled at what they do. Salary caps are not new. Smart GMs have learned about creativity and wiggle room. And there are plenty of teams up against the cap every year in every league moving bad contracts, signing free agents and making crucial deadline trades. No reason to be critical of a player strictly because of their salary. If Clarkson's cap hit wasn't bonkers would anyone mind him being on the roster playing third or fourth line minutes? I only dislike when players take up both a roster spot and cap space as well and offer you nothing in offense. He's much better than some of the players that have suited up for the Jackets this year. I know he didn't score in Toronto but he probably couldn't handle the media glare. Wouldn't be the first player to start scoring once moving to a small media town.

If Clarkson produces he could be moved for assets next year and problem solved.

If people don't like Clarkson because of his salary compared to production because of ticket prices, tickets, and concessions then that's a whole other ball of wax.

Clarkson by many accounts has the worst contract in the NHL. It is not moveable. He's a 4th line (likely be given a chance on CBJ 3rd line next season I guess) forward being paid like a top line forward. And he's still signed for several more years and it's virtually buy-out proof. So we are stuck with that deal for a long while. I would love to eat crow and have him traded ASAP but it's not happening.

I don't hate Clarkson because he got paid (I'm 100% for capitalism), I just hate it because our management was stupid enough to trade for him.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
If Clarkson produces he will not have to be moved. If he doesn't then we're no worse off than if we kept sending checks to Horton.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
could we retain his salary maybe like 50% and trade him so then we can get someone in free agency with that money to resign letestu and or give arty a little raise. Like Clarkson at 50 percent for a 5th?

niflheim

Hockey is cheating
Nov 22, 2014
No matter, how good your F's if whole your defence costs 13 mln nowadays. Now we have to begin true retooling, trade Hartnell ( he has now good value to get + 5 mln cap space), trade Arty ( to get + 3 mln cap space), keep useless Clarkson for 5 mln 4 years, develop youngsters. This Horton fake will be expensive for us, but it's good lesson - any job must be done professionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad