Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sportsovereverything

Apr 7, 2018
As per the Media notes page on the OHL site, Collins has been suspended for 2 games.

I understand the idea behind the instigator penalty but really wish it was capped at 17 mins in the last 5 mins of a game.

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
As per the Media notes page on the OHL site, Collins has been suspended for 2 games.

I understand the idea behind the instigator penalty but really wish it was capped at 17 mins in the last 5 mins of a game.
Weird... Collins is listed on the scorers sheet on the OHL website. I'm sure that'll be fixed.

It also has all 3 Wolves goalies listed as well. So, definitely some updates to come.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yup! Its business not personal. Vandy's net to lose.

WJ

It just bothers me so much that we don't have anyone who can intimidate. The Wolves needed a tough forward. This will be our demise. Teams can take liberties all game and then drop a hammer on us late because we don't have anyone through the game to set the tone. Very unfortunate because we are now down an important piece potentially for a long time.

WJ
Totally agree. I dont care if the league has cut fighting down and become softer, there will always an element of intimidation in hockey and in turn there will always be a need for that type of player(s). Doesn’t mean they have to fight regularly but teams need to know there will be someone to answer to, a policeman so to speak. Important old school observation Jack. Great for Collins to have stepped up but a good, tough third or fourth line player should have been secured. I hope we don’t lose players to injury as a result.

Reactions: justawolfan

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Totally agree. I dont care if the league has cut fighting down and become softer, there will always an element of intimidation in hockey and in turn there will always be a need for that type of player(s). Doesn’t mean they have to fight regularly but teams need to know there will be someone to answer to, a policeman so to speak. Important old school observation Jack. Great for Collins to have stepped up but a good, tough third or fourth line player should have been secured. I hope we don’t lose players to injury as a result.
Wasn't Toure the guy that fit this description? He was always ready to jump in.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Posts like these not worthy to respond too. Especially after seeing only 1 period of hockey.
I will pipe in here and call B.S. If you watched the interview with Anania he said ‘everyone loves each other and we are like family“ Seems just a tad contradictory doesn’t it. If there was intensity on the bench it may come mostly from a desire to win.
Perhaps the poster should keep those kind of speculative observations to himself and talk about the game on the ice.

Wasn't Toure the guy that fit this description? He was always ready to jump in.
Was thinking the same thing.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Villeneuve, McCallum, Walton, Pharrand are not big enough, tough enough 3rd liners paired Anania, VanVliet, Collins, … that a ‘tough guy’ is needed?

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
That’s unfortunate to hear. But who knows really!

WJ
The players think Kenny is a joke. You also cannot win by skating the first two lines out of exhaustion.
Here's a question regarding the coaching. Konyen wasn't drafted. Delic wasn't drafted. Giroux wasn't drafted and is a midget. He's smaller than Siggy. Villy and Wally are going to the Prospects Game. Wally was once a first rounder and is a top pick according to the Rangers. Pharsy is a Black Hawks pick. How is it that

The players think Kenny is a joke. You also cannot win by skating the first two lines out of exhaustion.
Here's a question regarding the coaching. Konyen wasn't drafted. Delic wasn't drafted. Giroux wasn't drafted and is a midget. He's smaller than Siggy. Villy and Wally are going to the Prospects Game. Wally was once a first rounder and is a top pick according to the Rangers. Pharsy is a Black Hawks pick. How is it that the Wolves coaching staff know better?

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
Agreed this team since the season started have added,

DeAngelios
Dvorsky
Vandenberg
Signoretti
McCoy
Giroux
VanVliet

No reason for this coaching staff to get this team to play hard game in game out. Too many times they don't come out of the gate with jump. And the defence and bench management has been horrid.

I have no faith in this coaching staff. As far as I'm concerned everyone excluding Gauveraux should be let go. They have not developed some of these players. The same mistakes are being made. Then the brutal in game decision making is mind blowing. This is on the them not the GM.

Paps has done what most GM's would do in his deals. Some slight overpayments and some steals. I have no real complaints. Maybe he could have gotten another heavier player in a deal with the playoff type game. But we don't know what discussions he had with other teams. It does take two to deal!

But one move he can make is the coaching. If they are eliminated in the first round with this group then obviously he will need to answer for not making a coaching change when most people know that this staff has been out coached plenty throughout the season. Who knows though maybe with Dunc still on the books his hands could be

Very valid comments and yes, the GM is a concern and has been but I feel like at this stage, while dealing with these "kids", the coaching staff is the most important management position for a team. It seems to me that player development has been lacking in Sudbury since the last arguably good coaching staff we've had and before that as well. I'm referring to the Foligno years when I believe there was more of a hands-on development of our players. We need to identify flaws in the coaching staff and correct this moving forward. Will that happen?
Paps does not have the players

BuffaloSabres72

Jan 9, 2024
I feel he is a good acquisition stay at home defence man, feel we overpaid with having to surrender Protz, the picks we gave up should have sufficed. I did noticed he doesn't have much of a shot it looks from the point, tries to get pucks on net but with not enough pace. Seems like a bright kid with leadership, and has playoff experience Wolves looking for.
The guys were glad that Protz was gone. Great guy. Dumb at hockey. By bye.

• Haha
Reactions: dirty12

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Here's a question regarding the coaching. Konyen wasn't drafted. Delic wasn't drafted. Giroux wasn't drafted and is a midget. He's smaller than Siggy. Villy and Wally are going to the Prospects Game. Wally was once a first rounder and is a top pick according to the Rangers. Pharsy is a Black Hawks pick. How is it that
Who the best players at the OHL level are and who has more potential are two different things. If you honestly think Pharand is a better player at the OHL right now then Delic or Giroux, you're either lost or we know who your son is.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Wolves not looking good, Musty with a brutal giveaway. Gotta give it to Butler his team is as entertaining as watching paint dry, but they're effective.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Two really bad goals against and gaudreau playing well. Gonna be a tough road tonight.
I want to see if they can bring their game up a notch or two this period. Without giving up odd man rushes or defensive break downs. Should be interesting

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Watching how aggressive Erie's PK is, hopefully Ken can take some notes and stop running a passive PK right out of the 90s

jamo27

Mar 24, 2007
Well you’re all getting a preview of round one of the playoffs when we play a well coached team.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Does anyone actually feel like this team will win a single round? Losing hope with the current group behind the bench.

TheRailBird2

Oct 4, 2023
Sleepy Ken is lost and has to go. Let Howler coach, or the Wolf on a Wire. Maybe a stuffed teddy bear from our non existent teddy bear toss or a pair of long johns from Sundays Undie game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad