Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 4)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I'm new here but have insight. Too a player the boy's all hated Derek MacKenzie and are glad he is gone. They wish now that Ken would stop referencing Derek in the changeroom. Neither of them had the room. Fact. A new coach would make these boys motivated. They are a good bunch led by lousy leaders. Villy invited to the Prospects Game because of injury. He's earned it. Walton there because some NHL teams have him first round despite Wolves limiting his ice and frankly that of Villy's.
That’s unfortunate to hear. But who knows really!

WJ

Wisdom

Jun 28, 2014
1705550050149.png

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I'm new here but have insight. Too a player the boy's all hated Derek MacKenzie and are glad he is gone. They wish now that Ken would stop referencing Derek in the changeroom. Neither of them had the room. Fact. A new coach would make these boys motivated. They are a good bunch led by lousy leaders. Villy invited to the Prospects Game because of injury. He's earned it. Walton there because some NHL teams have him first round despite Wolves limiting his ice and frankly that of Villy's.
I never got the eulogizing of Derek McKenzie. To me the team couldn’t have been more undisciplined under him and that alone was reason enough for me to think he wasn’t a good coach. Now that I hear what you’re saying, it compounds it even more and I’m surprised he even got another coaching job. Maybe it’s who you know. Does anybody know if he’s playing a prominent role anywhere?

I wondered why he took the job. He seemed very uninterested and didn't show any passion during his time here so your comments are believable in my opinion.
Ditto

That’s unfortunate to hear. But who knows really!

WJ
He knows.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
That’s too easy to say without context.
The sv% of Vandenberg was 20 pts higher with the IceDogs than the wolves; perhaps the wolves don’t offer their goalies as much defensive support as the IceDogs do.
Now that’s got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve ever read. That’s why they got themselves where they are in the standings right. I guess I lost my head and forgot they’re the standard of defence for which the rest of the league aspires. Your’e really reaching there dirty, watch your arm doesn’t get pulled off.

He's there to develop the players and win games, not be their best friend.

Musty and Goyette played the best hockey they've ever played under him. He did his job.
Unfortunately, it sounds like in spite of him.

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
New member and all posts are so positive. So refreshing.
Truth isn’t always easy to hear, (seems easier to plug your ears and laugh for some) but it doesn’t make it untrue. In fact, it makes perfect sense to me considering the incredible disregard of discipline, especially last year. In decades of watching junior hockey, I have never seen a team so often shoot themselves in the foot with incredibly selfish and downright stupid penalties. I tried to talk to him in Peterborough, and he did have an arrogant shit eating look on his face
This year they’ve mostly cleaned up the number of undisciplined penalties, but it often looks like the players do what they want with no real fear of accountability. You can just tell.

If you got some time to kill, check out Way back Wednesdays on YouTube and look for the game between the Wolves and the Detroit Junior Red Wings under Glenn Merkowsky. You won’t believe the way that team played defence. I don’t think we’ve been well coached for a long time and it’s part of the reason for our great success.

Last edited:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Now that’s got to be one of the most ridiculous posts I’ve ever read. That’s why they got themselves where they are in the standings right. I guess I lost my head and forgot they’re the standard of defence for which the rest of the league aspires. Your’e really reaching there dirty, watch your arm doesn’t get pulled off.

Unfortunately, it sounds like in spite of him.

A bit of sarcasm for what I thought was a baseless post.
Vandenberg, one of the no goalie(s) blamed for the Wolves woes even though he is 5-1-1-1 because personal stats don’t lie? Well, his sv% was 20 pts higher with Niagara!

Reactions: cub

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
A bit of sarcasm for what I thought was a baseless post.
Vandenberg, one of the no goalie(s) blamed for the Wolves woes even though he is 5-1-1-1 because personal stats don’t lie? Well, his sv% was 20 pts higher with Niagara!
Save percentage is also in my opinion one of the most important stats for a goalie.

I feel like we got a real insider here in esb2822. He's either in the room, billet or closely connected to the players. Kepp them coming!

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
**Will edit with new info once it becomes available

Sudbury Wolves @ Barrie Colts
Thursday, January 18th, 2024

OHL Gamesheet
Listen Live

- Wolves are coming off a tough loss to Windsor on Saturday January 13th
- Colts are on a 2-game losing streak and sit 4 points back of playoff spot.

Starting Goalies:
Sudbury - Vandenberg (Confirmed)
Barrie - Hillebrandt (Confirmed)

Not dressed:

Sudbury
:
Nate Krawchuk (Maybe injured?)
Ryan Pryce (healthy Scratch)
Lukas Signoretti (Healthy Scratch? Sent down?)

Barrie:
Chris Grisolia
Beau Akey (Injury)

Starting Lineup:

Sudbury:

Delic
Giroux
Goyette
Mania
DeAngelis

Barrie:
Patterson
Beaudoin
Stewart
York
Brauti

Officials:
OFFICIALS
Referee I: Ryan Elbers (9)
Referee II: Brendan Kane (13)
LINESMEN I: Nick Arcan (73)
LINESMEN II: David Milne (63)

Sudbury WolvesBarrie Colts
21-13-3-2Season Record15-21-1-0
5-3-1-1Last 10 Games3-6-1-0
0-1-0-0Streak0-2-0-0
11-7 L @ Windsor (2024-01-13) FinalLast Game4-3 L vs Brantford (2024-01-13) Final
13-5-1-0Home Record12-7-1-0
8-8-2-2Away Record3-14-0-0
182Goals For116
147Goals Against146
34/177 (19.21%)Power Play24/158 (15.19%)
16/89 (17.98%)Power Play - Home18/85 (21.18%)
18/88 (20.45%)Power Play - Away6/73 (8.22%)
40/171 (76.61%)Penalty Killing44/138 (68.12%)
16/70 (77.14%)Penalty Kill - Home21/70 (70%)
24/101 (76.24%)Penalty Kill - Away23/68 (66.18%)
Braydon Bruce (0-0-0)Leading RookieRiley Patterson (12-14-26)
Chase Coughlan (50)Most Penalty MinutesKashawn Aitcheson (62)
13.3/39Team PIM/GM11.9/37

Last edited:

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Not dressed:

Sudbury
:
Lukas Signoretti (Healthy Scratch? Sent down?)
Signoretti played for Espanola on the 12th and the 14th, I'd guess he's sent down until an injury may require him to be called up or his season ends.

Also shocked by us no longer having a rookie with a point, or well, a rookie by OHl standards since Signoretti and Dvorsky are too old to qualify.

Reactions: dirty12

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Lines look great for tonight! But can we please start on time for once? That means actually skating, playing smart, getting some early saves. Never know which Wolves team will show up! That Windsor game was extremely embarrassing, hopefully no more of that. Can't take any team lightly in this league, there's no easy games. Show up and work hard

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Lines look great for tonight! But can we please start on time for once? That means actually skating, playing smart, getting some early saves. Never know which Wolves team will show up! That Windsor game was extremely embarrassing, hopefully no more of that. Can't take any team lightly in this league, there's no easy games. Show up and work hard
Could not agree more. Looking forward to catching puck drop at 8:30pm tonight.

• Haha
Reactions: howlman

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wolves look lifeless tonight. Bus legs from the Windsor drive home. Boys look like they are skating in slow motion. Passes are off, defence use the wall to clear the puck. PK can't stop the seam pass. They just look disinterested.

WJ

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
New lines look very promising, but we are giving up way too many shots and shooting ourselves in the foot with mental mistakes. Late head check by 4th line player leads to first PK/goal. Line 4 plays a specific role on this team, finish checks energy line but must be disciplined. They are skilled enough to chip in with some offence but they set the tone.
2nd PK was caused when we tried to clear the zone off the back hand unsuccessfully causing a scramble and penalty in OZ. During the PK we had a chance to clear but hit our own player. Probably bad luck but those 3 plays gave Barrie momentum and 2 goals.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Let’s hope he can play like that when it matters
Him and Goyette were the only two players to be a point per game in last years short playoff run.

More I watch this team post deadline, more evident it is they really needed to pick up one more forward with size and skill.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad