Sudbury Wolves 2023-24 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Right through the five hole. Vandenburg played well but it would have been nice to stop that.
As mentioned, he‘s a small goaltender, and thus must rely on his reflexes and athleticism. I want to see him work on not taking himself out of the play by over playing at times.
Real Harsh!

Reactions: MGOBlue

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Man, I never really realized how bad we were on the face-offs. Last night was another really good example.
Good news is, Dally (when he gets back) is at 62%

Then Villeneuve is at 61%

Pharand also over 50% on the season.

McCallum low 40s on the season.

This coaching staff makes some baffling decisions.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Being a smaller goalie, Vandenburg is forced to make a lot of desperation saves and has already created quite the highlight reel with those. His consistency has not been great though and much like other goalies, he's given up some real bad goals, but he's definitely stolen some goals as well.

At the end of the day, I think all three of the current goalies are below average at best. I'd hope we'd go with Vandenberg and Krawchuk with that being said, at least it would allow them to add another high end import at the deadline.
When an NHL drafted goalie and two other BUGs are deemed not good enough, maybe the focus should shift to the real root cause?? Just saying. Put any of our goalies in front of 6 real good D, forwards committed to their zone and a coaches DZ structure and they are all rock stars…
Gotta credit #27 today for his better effort in his own end. Saved at least one goal with a great stick….great to see but we need more of that.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
When an NHL drafted goalie and two other BUGs are deemed not good enough, maybe the focus should shift to the real root cause?? Just saying. Put any of our goalies in front of 6 real good D, forwards committed to their zone and a coaches DZ structure and they are all rock stars…
Gotta credit #27 today for his better effort in his own end. Saved at least one goal with a great stick….great to see but we need more of that.
For sure I just wish he was smarter the entire game. The last play where he was beat by Gasiov just take him down. Nevermind the puck there is 10 seconds left. Just not always aware. But I will take 3 out of 6 points even though we should be coming home with 4 at least.

I hope come January we don't see Mauro, Pryce and another piece or two from this line up. I have never understood why he hangs on to guys that offer very little. Mauro should have been replaced months ago. Any waiver wire guy from another team would have offered more. The missed assignments in his own end has happened twice now this weekend. Once in Flint and again today. The 4th line has 3 jobs. Don't get scored on, bring energy and give the bench a bit of a breather. That's it. Covering your man from the point is taught in bantam.

WJ

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
I think it was a great effort by the Wolves watching through a snow storm of a feed. Hoping Paps gets it right helping out are tenders but not holding my breath. PLEASE prove me wrong.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

5 d-men who were at NHL Camps, one who is on the central scouting watch list.

Almost like coaching is the issue, not the players. Same as goaltending, Weeks was decent, but outside of him when is the last time we developed our own starting goalie?

WolvesFanInNorthBay

Feb 9, 2019
North Bay
The longest road trip London has had this year was when they went to North Bay, Sudbury and Barrie on the 23rd, 24th and 25th of November. They have only played 4 sets of 3 games in 3 nights. Only one of those was 3 straight road games mentioned above. NONE of their 4 sets included a 2pm start on the 3rd day.
FWIW, the Greyhounds haven’t played a single 3 in 3 all season. They did play a 3 in 4 night set that included stops in North Bay, Kitchener and Niagara that included a 2pm start on the last game.

North Bay has played 2 sets of 3in3. Notably the December 3rd weekend playing Kingston, Ottawa and Peterborough that included a 2pm start on the last game.

Finally, the Wolves have played 3 sets of 3in3 all on the road. First it was Kingston, Peterborough and Ottawa that had a 3pm start on the last game. Then, Niagara, Erie and Brantford that had a 4pm start in the last game. This weekend was the only 3in3 that included a 2pm start on Sunday. I assume it’s to get the boys back in town at a reasonable time.

Last edited:

Maxxim1

Oct 17, 2005
FYI - Rogers has to give up two broadcasts each season to an independent broadcaster, usually Fanshawe College School of Broadcasting. Today was one of those days. The internet connection was a problem as well.

Reactions: dirty12

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
No real honest. Didn’t say I didn’t like or appreciate him but the way he plays leaves him vulnerable to rebounds and he causes him to be out of position sometimes. Several pucks snuck behind him and were cleared by the defence. Nothing at all harsh about that post.
Sorry, me just being little too emotional after a loss

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Wolf you have valuable insight but sometimes a spade is a spade and bad goals are scored that should have been stopped and play a significant role in our losing the game.For example you can’t blame the defence on every goal such as the long shot with no screen like the one Chucky let in last night. I get that you don’t like to bash goalies but I think it’s fair to say our tenders have let in several goals that were quite stoppable. They need to be held accountable too. Can you honestly say we’ve had consistently clutch goaltending this season?

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Agreed! Chucky’s hook goal was a stinker and should have never gone in. Agree we haven’t had shut down goaltending, but IMO it’s better than we are seeing with average TEAM defence. I wouldn’t throw Chucky away because I see the good potential, he needs to be trusted and given a pure honest opportunity. Not sure it will happen here? But if we trade him as a simple throw in, I feel he’ll shine and we will regret the move..broken record here: we can play sound D when we give up low 20 shots/game. When shots against hit high 20’s, 30’s or higher we rely too heavily on our tenders. Yes, you want to see them steal a game we don’t deserve. I don’t recall that happening in the first half, but hoping it will happen at some point this year.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
FYI - Rogers has to give up two broadcasts each season to an independent broadcaster, usually Fanshawe College School of Broadcasting. Today was one of those days. The internet connection was a problem as well.
was that game video with a radio broadcast?, because there were advertising commercials like you hear on the radio, no video, during the commentating and game was going on, very strange.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Agreed! Chucky’s hook goal was a stinker and should have never gone in. Agree we haven’t had shut down goaltending, but IMO it’s better than we are seeing with average TEAM defence. I wouldn’t throw Chucky away because I see the good potential, he needs to be trusted and given a pure honest opportunity. Not sure it will happen here? But if we trade him as a simple throw in, I feel he’ll shine and we will regret the move..broken record here: we can play sound D when we give up low 20 shots/game. When shots against hit high 20’s, 30’s or higher we rely too heavily on our tenders. Yes, you want to see them steal a game we don’t deserve. I don’t recall that happening in the first half, but hoping it will happen at some point this year.
It will absolutely have to if we want to get anywhere near the promise land. I’m sure you know as well as me that historically with very few exceptions every championship team in this sport has had outstanding goaltending. It’s s must.

was that game video with a radio broadcast?, because there were advertising commercials like you hear on the radio, no video, during the commentating and game was going on, very strange.
Yes. Old time radio announcers as well made the game sound very exciting and put most TV broadcasters today to shame. The camera was a disastrous media feed, and that’s it.

OHL4Life

Sep 6, 2017
the root cause is identification, always has been. they told everyone lemaire was a stud, rode weeks for a while when he should have been more of a 1a. traded for ranger who was average at best. drafted gaulton ahead of george and they have a scout and coach from thunder bay?

its scouting and identification.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad