Sudbury Wolves 2022-23 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Question now is, did Paps do enough to increase our chances of staying ahead of Oshawa for the final playoff spot? Two pics in 2026 how does that address next season?

• Wow
Reactions: I Loveallsports

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Meh deadline. Not moving Larmand and Anania was silly. Got some draft picks which is good. Papineau is on his final legs. They should squeak into the playoffs and get some 1st round playoff experience. If Wolves do miss the playoffs this year, bye bye Paps. Then next season Wolves have to go all in and build a contender. Is Papineau capable of building a contender? He's not come close yet, and he's running out of time before Wolves bring in new GM.

Reactions: gngpstl

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022

Seems like a disappointing deadline considering it was a bigtime sellers market.

We got great value for our traded players, that value should be realized before the next draft in April…In a weaker East Conference the goal now is to make the playoffs and try to secure 5th spot. I don’t know much about the two newbie forwards but younger and gamers soon to be Molded into young versions of Coach DM.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Have got to agree with others, disappointing deadline. Holmes and Asadourian deals were good. Rest seems pretty mediocre. Going to lose some players for nothing in the offseason with the amount of 19 year olds we have.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Two pics in 2026 how does that address next season?
Those two picks along with all our other picks will be used in different packages to go in full "buy mode" next season

2nd 24, 2nd 24, 3rd 24, 4th 24
2nd 25, 2nd 25, 3rd 25
2nd 26, 3rd 26, 3rd 26, 3rd 26
2nd 27, 3rd 27, 4th 27

Wolves needs for next season:
-Elite Goalie
-Stud defender
-Top end scorer
-High end Import

We are getting sick and tired of waiting. Build an actual contender next season. It's embarrassing how long it's taking to build one

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Question now is, did Paps do enough to increase our chances of staying ahead of Oshawa for the final playoff spot? Two pics in 2026 how does that address next season?
Nope

Meh deadline. Not moving Larmand and Anania was silly. Got some draft picks which is good. Papineau is on his final legs. They should squeak into the playoffs and get some 1st round playoff experience. If Wolves do miss the playoffs this year, bye bye Paps. Then next season Wolves have to go all in and build a contender. Is Papineau capable of building a contender? He's not come close yet, and he's running out of time before Wolves bring in new GM.
No interest in either in the league.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Those two picks along with all our other picks will be used in different packages to go in full "buy mode" next season

2nd 25, 2nd 25, 3rd 25
2nd 27, 3rd 27, 4th 27

-Elite Goalie
-Stud defender
-Top end scorer
-High end Import

We are getting sick and tired of waiting. Build an actual contender next season. It's embarrassing how long it's taking to build one
Rebuild again. The 10th time in the last 10 years. Enough is enough with GMs that are terrible, scouting staff that are useless.Papineau has to be realistic, he will be losing his job if he doesn’t make the playoffs. The deals he did will do nothing to help this team. He did not address the problem, a terrible defence. It is unfortunate that the picks he acquired will never be used by him.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

2nd 25, 2nd 25, 3rd 25
2nd 27, 3rd 27, 4th 27

-Elite Goalie
-Stud defender
-Top end scorer
-High end Import

Just like every year it seems.

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
Rebuild again. The 10th time in the last 10 years. Enough is enough with GMs that are terrible, scouting staff that are useless.Papineau has to be realistic, he will be losing his job if he doesn’t make the playoffs. The deals he did will do nothing to help this team. He did not address the problem, a terrible defence. It is unfortunate that the picks he acquired will never be used by him.
Wow, wow,wow. Do you not read other team’s boards. Paps is far-far from perfect but his return for the Holmes trade almost rivalled the return for Wright. In fact we got two seconds Kingston got one. Holmes is a drafted (unsigned) 19 yr old D man and I don’t need to tell you who Wright is. Also, Windsor gave up the rights to a NCAA player that may never report to Kingston. You think Paps is brutal, why do other fans always compare trade returns to his trades, see: Stillman/Holmes trades. Fans from other teams wish their GM ask for the moon and do well on trade returns. AA was a 2nd round pick that never found his way here and after 1.5 years we get a 2nd & 3rd in 26. Will we use all these picks? I hope not! They are to purchase good (hopefully great) 04/05 players to join our core for next season. Although these players could have been traded for pre-deadline,teams aren’t as anxious to move players if they have a chance to win now. For whatever reason by Nov.1st, we as fans knew this wasn’t going to be our “go for it” year. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to buy in a sellers market! IMO Paps did the right thing and stocked the draft cupboard for the off season because with so many teams going for it this season 3/4 in East and 6/7 in West-teams have used up all their draft stock. At season end, half the league will be desperate to start their ,rebuild and it will be a buyers market that we should thrive in..so I know it’s human nature to bitch and complain that the entire organization is a dumpster fire but from what Im reading on these boards it could be a way worse. We are in excellent position for the next two seasons. Happy/Happy…no this isn’t a Paps burner account! Just a dedicated Wolf on a Wire (Fan).

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I don't have a strong opinion one way or the other but Papineau's trade deadline doesn't strike me as a GM making desperation moves to make a playoff push and keep his job.

I don't know what kind of interest there was for players or what things are like behind the scenes but overall happy with the haul of draft picks that were got for Holmes & Assadourian, as well as some depth moves for cheap. The Brassard goalie brought in definitely looks like a gamble but it saves assets to go after a goalie this summer as I don't imagine Krawchuk + Gaulton is the plan going into a potential go-for-it year.

I'd really like to see Villeneuve & Walton get consistent top 9 minutes for the rest of the season - I like what I've seen from both of them in limited action & they need to get some more reps in. Also want to see more Krawchuk this second half - let's see what he's got!

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wow, wow,wow. Do you not read other team’s boards. Paps is far-far from perfect but his return for the Holmes trade almost rivalled the return for Wright. In fact we got two seconds Kingston got one. Holmes is a drafted (unsigned) 19 yr old D man and I don’t need to tell you who Wright is. Also, Windsor gave up the rights to a NCAA player that may never report to Kingston. You think Paps is brutal, why do other fans always compare trade returns to his trades, see: Stillman/Holmes trades. Fans from other teams wish their GM ask for the moon and do well on trade returns. AA was a 2nd round pick that never found his way here and after 1.5 years we get a 2nd & 3rd in 26. Will we use all these picks? I hope not! They are to purchase good (hopefully great) 04/05 players to join our core for next season. Although these players could have been traded for pre-deadline,teams aren’t as anxious to move players if they have a chance to win now. For whatever reason by Nov.1st, we as fans knew this wasn’t going to be our “go for it” year. Therefore, it would be ridiculous to buy in a sellers market! IMO Paps did the right thing and stocked the draft cupboard for the off season because with so many teams going for it this season 3/4 in East and 6/7 in West-teams have used up all their draft stock. At season end, half the league will be desperate to start their ,rebuild and it will be a buyers market that we should thrive in..so I know it’s human nature to bitch and complain that the entire organization is a dumpster fire but from what Im reading on these boards it could be a way worse. We are in excellent position for the next two seasons. Happy/Happy…no this isn’t a Paps burner account! Just a dedicated Wolf on a Wire (Fan).

As a dedicated fan as well I will give my take on this season to this point.

Most of you know on here that I'm always mentioning that the Wolves must start the year with a solid set of overage players. I was a little surprised that Robinson was back in camp at the start of the year considering he pretty much disappeared last season after his injury. Of course many rumours floated around that he wasn't this and that and the team was most likely moving on from him. But when he returned it really left a sour taste in my mouth because in my mind he wasn't what I thought Papineau wanted here especially considering the glut of solid overage players that were on the market to start the year.
In fact it was known Zulich wanted a playoff team so I figured Papineau would go out and find two solid guys one forward and one dman to go along with DeGrazia.

With Musty, Goyette, Pharand, Delic, Konyen, McCallum, Larmand, Boudreau, Assadourian, Derbidge, Villenueve and Walton all returning I thought for sure we would see a deal to get one of the forward guys from Hamilton early. But we elected to go with Robinson, picked up Ranger and then we started the year. Right away I knew these were not the right crop of overage players to run with the returning core. You want to generate excitement in your fanbase and locker room. Getting two solid overage players to start the year would allowed those younger players to ease into the year without the added pressure. Imagine if we would added a Diaco or Hayes or Durate one of those guys early on. Then picked up a solid defender to help our d core. A guy that went reasonably low to Guelph in Murray out of Kingston. This team would not have been struggling out of the gate. Of course looking back we lost the opportunity to make those moves when we knew full well Assadourian and Derbidge were not going to be on this roster come deadline. So why not move them early on. We ended up losing Derbidge for nothing, and held on hoping Assadourian would amount to more. Those guys along with Hoover, or another dman should have been used to make those moves IMO.

I know most would say well we had no goaltending so we needed to get Ranger or an OA goalie. I don't think we needed to right away if we made those other moves for say Murray and Diaco. The Wolves could have easily started the year with Morrow and Krawchuck and let those guys split the games. Get the experience and see where it would have taken us. With a more solid overage core along with our young talented forwards, checking guys like Larmand, McCallum and Boudreau and the defence in Holmes, Collins, Toure, Anania and Mania would have created a more solid team. We would be in my estimation in 4th or 5th. And if we weren't we surely would be better than 8th or 9th.

Fact is we could have still sold at the deadline and the value of some of our players would have been higher. Maybe then we would have had a better deadline. But I agree with what we had Papineau got what he could. The Holmes deal and Assadourian deal gave us good picks. Picking up depth guys in Yearwood and Coughlin means little. It really didn't take away from our bank of higher picks. And who knows maybe one will relish the opportunity for a change of scene and help the club out in a checking role next season when we lose one of Larmand or Boudreau. Or even both.

I'm a firm believer that you need to make some deals early in the season to really give your team the best opportunity to start off right. It was evident that the team wasn't strong enough in certain areas aside from coaching and the only criticism I will give our GM is that he waited too long to do something. Sometimes players know that the team no matter how hard they try they will never be better than most of the teams in the Conference. They realize the depth isn't there and then it affects them motivation wise I believe. I just hope that next season as Howlman described what the teams goals should be going into the season. And I strongly believe the same. We need a strong import player, a solid vet D, a goalie that can hold the fort most nights and a solid core of overage players. Without those we will not win a Conference even with a 19 year old Goyette, 18 year old Musty. As we all have seen what strong teams did! They got even more ridiculous.

So lets see what kind of team we have the remainder of the year. Hope some of the players can now just focus on playing the game the best they can and improve and make life difficult for those top 4 teams we are going to face. Use that as a measuring stick to see what we really are! And then the management hopefully plans the attack from there. We need a strong draft, a strong off season acquisition, a strong import signing, a strong training camp, a smart deal early that signals the rest of the league we are serious from day 1 about going in for 2023-24. And high end players might want to make Sudbury a place they want to be dealt to for a run. Just my thoughts.

Go Wolves Go

WJ

Last edited:

Wolf on a Wire

Sep 18, 2022
As a dedicated fan as well I will give my take on this season to this point.

Most of you know on here that I'm always mentioning that the Wolves must start the year with a solid set of overage players. I was a little surprised that Robinson was back in camp at the start of the year considering he pretty much disappeared last season after his injury. Of course many rumours floated around that he wasn't this and that and the team was most likely moving on from him. But when he returned it really left a sour taste in my mouth because in my mind he wasn't what I thought Papineau wanted here especially considering the glut of solid overage players that were on the market to start the year.
In fact it was known Zulich wanted a playoff team so I figured Papineau would go out and find two solid guys one forward and one dman to go along with DeGrazia.

With Musty, Goyette, Pharand, Delic, Konyen, McCallum, Larmand, Boudreau, Assadourian, Derbidge, Villenueve and Walton all returning I thought for sure we would see a deal to get one of the forward guys from Hamilton early. But we elected to go with Robinson, picked up Ranger and then we started the year. Right away I knew these were not the right crop of overage players to run with the returning core. You want to generate excitement in your fanbase and locker room. Getting two solid overage players to start the year would allowed those younger players to ease into the year without the added pressure. Imagine if we would added a Diaco or Hayes or Durate one of those guys early on. Then picked up a solid defender to help our d core. A guy that went reasonably low to Guelph in Murray out of Kingston. This team would not have been struggling out of the gate. Of course looking back we lost the opportunity to make those moves when we knew full well Assadourian and Derbidge were not going to be on this roster come deadline. So why not move them early on. We ended up losing Derbidge for nothing, and held on hoping Assadourian would amount to more. Those guys along with Hoover, or another dman should have been used to make those moves IMO.

I know most would say well we had no goaltending so we needed to get Ranger or an OA goalie. I don't think we needed to right away if we made those other moves for say Murray and Diaco. The Wolves could have easily started the year with Morrow and Krawchuck and let those guys split the games. Get the experience and see where it would have taken us. With a more solid overage core along with our young talented forwards, checking guys like Larmand, McCallum and Boudreau and the defence in Holmes, Collins, Toure, Anania and Mania would have created a more solid team. We would be in my estimation in 4th or 5th. And if we weren't we surely would be better than 8th or 9th.

Fact is we could have still sold at the deadline and the value of some of our players would have been higher. Maybe then we would have had a better deadline. But I agree with what we had Papineau got what he could. The Holmes deal and Assadourian deal gave us good picks. Picking up depth guys in Yearwood and Coughlin means little. It really didn't take away from our bank of higher picks. And who knows maybe one will relish the opportunity for a change of scene and help the club out in a checking role next season when we lose one of Larmand or Boudreau. Or even both.

I'm a firm believer that you need to make some deals early in the season to really give your team the best opportunity to start off right. It was evident that the team wasn't strong enough in certain areas aside from coaching and the only criticism I will give our GM is that he waited too long to do something. Sometimes players know that the team no matter how hard they try they will never be better than most of the teams in the Conference. They realize the depth isn't there and then it affects them motivation wise I believe. I just hope that next season as Howlman described what the teams goals should be going into the season. And I strongly believe the same. We need a strong import player, a solid vet D, a goalie that can hold the fort most nights and a solid core of overage players. Without those we will not win a Conference even with a 19 year old Goyette, 18 year old Musty. As we all have seen what strong teams did! They got even more ridiculous.

So lets see what kind of team we have the remainder of the year. Hope some of the players can now just focus on playing the game the best they can and improve and make life difficult for those top 4 teams we are going to face. Use that as a measuring stick to see what we really are! And then the management hopefully plans the attack from there. We need a strong draft, a strong off season acquisition, a strong import signing, a strong training camp, a smart deal early that signals the rest of the league we are serious from day 1 about going in for 2023-24. And high end players might want to make Sudbury a place they want to be dealt to for a run. Just my thoughts.

Go Wolves Go

WJ
Amen Wolf Jack!! Love your approach and not a single disagreement from Wolf on a Wire!! Let’s push up those standings..

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Some where in all this today we missed the fact that Devin Mauro was taken off the Wolves roster! Not surprising since we picked up Yearwood and Coughlin. The team has gotten bigger and maybe better on the fourth line with these guys. Watching Assadourian and Mauro together was really hard. The forecheck was non existent and they were easily pushed off the puck. Good luck to them both I don't think they are cut out for this level IMO.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
With the one extra forward who sits out??? Mauro and Assadourian are gone. So will be interesting to see who sits.

Musty Delic Goyette
DeGrazia Larmand McCallum
Yearwood Pharand Konyen
Boudreau Villeneuve Coughlin
Walton

Is my guess vs North Bay.

WJ

Reactions: howlman

Devin

Jul 25, 2018
With the one extra forward who sits out??? Mauro and Assadourian are gone. So will be interesting to see who sits.

Musty Delic Goyette
Yearwood Pharand Konyen
Walton

WJ
who are the over agers for next season?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
who are the over agers for next season?
Well if they were really serious next year about winning they need to get one high end overage here. But I would start the year with McCallum, Toure, Larmand, then Anania, Boudreau in that order.

WJ

fyi- Derbidge has two goals in two games with Drummondville.

Reactions: WolvesFan and Devin

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
My guess - Larmand, Anania, Assadourian all shipped out. An 04 LD incoming, another 04/05 forward added, and hopefully a pick or two heading our way and not the other way.. Change the look of the team slightly and build for next season

I

Paps is not finished looks like they are worse off now since trade window opened.Please prove me wrong, is there something we arlqe missing?

Great value for Assadourian - wish him well as he'll have more of an opportunity in Niagara!

Some where in all this today we missed the fact that Devin Mauro was taken off the Wolves roster! Not surprising since we picked up Yearwood and Coughlin. The team has gotten bigger and maybe better on the fourth line with these guys. Watching Assadourian and Mauro together was really hard. The forecheck was non existent and they were easily pushed off the puck. Good luck to them both I don't think they are cut out for this level IMO.

WJ

WJ
The Wolves are going to regret trading Assadourian as he was thoroughly miscast and and not used properly in the lineup. His speed in fact had him often right below the goaline intercepting pucks and creating opportunities to score. He received very limited minutes and was miscast as a 4th line grinder when in fact he has the skillset to be a top 6 player . He will immediately step into such a position and will flourish with Icedogs. The Wolves will have ample opportunity to see his progression in the next 3 years as we traded him to a divison rival. He will come back to haunt us numerous times and we will regret not recognizing his talent

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Musty Delic Goyette
Yearwood Pharand Konyen
Walton

WJ
Really hope they'd keep Walton in the lineup; he's just back from injury and looking good again. Really feels like between his size and skill he's going to be a dominant player in the near future.

Regardless, definitely a group capable of scoring a lot.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The Wolves are going to regret trading Assadourian as he was thoroughly miscast and and not used properly in the lineup. His speed in fact had him often right below the goaline intercepting pucks and creating opportunities to score. He received very limited minutes and was miscast as a 4th line grinder when in fact he has the skillset to be a top 6 player . He will immediately step into such a position and will flourish with Icedogs. The Wolves will have ample opportunity to see his progression in the next 3 years as we traded him to a divison rival. He will come back to haunt us numerous times and we will regret not recognizing his talent
I see a different player than you I guess. I don't think he has any tenacity to his game. Loses the puck easily as he appears anxious with it. I have seen no puck control as you do in Delic. I doubt we will regret it and I don't believe he will haunt us. But I guess time will tell.

WJ

Really hope they'd keep Walton in the lineup; he's just back from injury and looking good again. Really feels like between his size and skill he's going to be a dominant player in the near future.

Regardless, definitely a group capable of scoring a lot.
I just predicting tomorrow nights game line up. Maybe Musty is still hurt and he is sitting and Walton is in. But I just think they will want to see what Yearwood and Coughlan have in a game. Could be wrong.

WJ

Reactions: dirty12

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I see a different player than you I guess. I don't think he has any tenacity to his game. Loses the puck easily as he appears anxious with it. I have seen no puck control as you do in Delic. I doubt we will regret it and I don't believe he will haunt us. But I guess time will tell.

WJ

I just predicting tomorrow nights game line up. Maybe Musty is still hurt and he is sitting and Walton is in. But I just think they will want to see what Yearwood and Coughlan have in a game. Could be wrong.

WJ
The wolves won’t miss Assadourian, I agree. Though I have no doubt he would thrive in the London/Ottawa systems, maybe SSM too.
But that might be all the teams he could carve out a meaningful role until his 19-20 yr old seasons. Assadourian - Foster is a wash imo; one is thriving, neither could get off the battalion 4th line.
Actually, neither would be drafted by the battalion in round 2; so that might be a bad example.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad