Sudbury Wolves 2022-23 Off-Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

sudburydinnerjacket

May 28, 2019
I doubt Sam Mayer will be traded to Sudbury. Rob Wilson indicated on the Peterborough Pete’s OHL’s 20 in 20 interview that Mayer was going to be a big part of Peterborough’s defence this coming season. It appears the Petes are keeping him as one of their three overage players to a least start the season.
Enough of the broken record posts.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I hope he gets signed at some point! He's been one of my favorite wolves players since he walked into the locker room. Completely overlooked in drafts and I can't figure out why. Not big enough maybe?
Size most likely. I think he could at least play AHL for sure.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Wondering what they'll do with Pryce. I like his game. They might go younger. Other than that nobody stood out besides krawchuk tonight. Nobody has seperated themselves from the pack.

Quik look ahead to next season, I dont see alot of forwards with potential in the pipeline.

With amount of 1st Rd picks in the lineup, they should be looking to win the east.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wisdom

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Wondering what they'll do with Pryce. I like his game. They might go younger. Other than that nobody stood out besides krawchuk tonight. Nobody has seperated themselves from the pack.

Quik look ahead to next season, I dont see alot of forwards with potential in the pipeline.

With amount of 1st Rd picks in the lineup, they should be looking to win the east.
I'm on the other end of the spectrum with Pryce, I think despite putting up some points, he's been the worst defencemen on the ice most preseason games. 0 effort in the defensive zone, positioning that is somehow even worse than Dylan Robinson was. I think they have 7-8 d-men better then him, even ignoring age. I'd much rather keep Bruce or even Conor Walton around. All the returning guys on D, and Protz are more effective then Pryce as well.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
I think Pryce has been decent/fine in the games I've seen this pre-season but is benefitting from being an older & stronger player. I think he's going to struggle once regular season is back - he seems slow to me (mobility). My guess is they'll need him to play 3rd pairing until the regulars are back from injury and then they may release him.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I think Pryce has been decent/fine in the games I've seen this pre-season but is benefitting from being an older & stronger player. I think he's going to struggle once regular season is back - he seems slow to me (mobility). My guess is they'll need him to play 3rd pairing until the regulars are back from injury and then they may release him.
What's your thoughts on the offensive potential for the future

Should be interesting where he lands when everything is settled

cub

Apr 11, 2012
my take on this game, it looked the most organized out of the preseason. I thought all our D had a good game, and Chucky played outstanding. Would liked to see our vet forwards capitalize on some high end scoring chances, but Colts goaltending was also very good in this game.

I thought K.Walton and Mauro stood out. To be honest I'm surprised on Mauro's play this preseason, I did not have him in the mix this season, he may have played his way on the team.

I kept a close eye on Caden Taylor, you can tell he has alot of good attributes, skating, size, skill. I think few times he was open, teammates did not hit him with a pass. Looks like teammates maybe not confident in him yet, or he needs to be more demanding calling out his teammates for the puck. Teammates totally shrugged him off often I thought. I think this year will be a learning year and him being more accustom to the league as a rookie, but he does have a lot upside I believe.

Looks like Mckenzie benched McCallum and Coughlin for a bit after getting dumb penalties hopefully message is clear to the team this season.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
What's your thoughts on the offensive potential for the future

Should be interesting where he lands when everything is settled
Yeah definitely not a lot of offensive potential in the pipeline but I think that's largely a result of us being in win-now mode based on the age of our players. Our current offensive is very good.

Taylor - he's been very timid this pre-season & truthfully hasn't looked good. But sample size is very small (3-4 games) and I think this is one of those wait & see things where he will find his way in this league. As mentioned above he is a skilled player and drafted high for a reason. No concerns from me right now.

H. Chitaroni - he's looked good (better than Taylor) this pre-season. Playing exclusively on the 4th line from what I've seen. Hard worker - seems like a Boudreau/Larmand type of player. I can't tell what offensive ability he has at the moment.

K. Walton - I think his potential is so high as a player in this league. Honestly one of my favourite players on the team right now & want to keep him but he may need to be dealt to bring in a big piece this year.

Di Giantommaso - I liked him in pre-season last year & he's been decent this year so far I think. He's an 05 though so not that young. He can be a good depth piece (12th or 13th forward) this year and be a reliable bottom 6 forward next year depending on how he does this year.

Reactions: howlman and cub

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
my take on this game, it looked the most organized out of the preseason. I thought all our D had a good game, and Chucky played outstanding. Would liked to see our vet forwards capitalize on some high end scoring chances, but Colts goaltending was also very good in this game.

I thought K.Walton and Mauro stood out. To be honest I'm surprised on Mauro's play this preseason, I did not have him in the mix this season, he may have played his way on the team.

I kept a close eye on Caden Taylor, you can tell he has alot of good attributes, skating, size, skill. I think few times he was open, teammates did not hit him with a pass. Looks like teammates maybe not confident in him yet, or he needs to be more demanding calling out his teammates for the puck. Teammates totally shrugged him off often I thought. I think this year will be a learning year and him being more accustom to the league as a rookie, but he does have a lot upside I believe.

Looks like Mckenzie benched McCallum and Coughlin for a bit after getting dumb penalties hopefully message is clear to the team this season.
I agree Mauro's been very good this pre-season.

He was very timid early on last season (similar to how Taylor looks now) and then when he came back in the new year after a stint in Espanola he looked like a completely different player which is how he's looked this pre-season so far. I'm very comfortable with him as a 4th line or 13th forward right now.

Eventually the confidence will be there with Taylor too.

Reactions: cub

goalieguy27

Nov 19, 2022
Goaltending situation is looking up for the Wolves too. Vondras looks solid and a fantastic appearance by Krawchuk yesterday, Gaulton posting the shutout looking strong after year of injury. My only question is if one of them may be a trade piece for defender.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Goaltending situation is looking up for the Wolves too. Vondras looks solid and a fantastic appearance by Krawchuk yesterday, Gaulton posting the shutout looking strong after year of injury. My only question is if one of them may be a trade piece for defender.
I wouldn't do it.

NorthernBridge7

Dec 26, 2019
Ontario, Canada
Feels good to have (hopefully) rock solid goaltending. Everything changed when we got Vondras. I'm personally very high on Krawchuk and think he can be a high-end No.2 on a contending team this season. He looks thicker/larger in the net this year but maybe that's equipment related. Also looks much better without that generic white helmet that made him look like a Jr.B call up.

I think Vondras/Krawchuk is the answer to goaltending this year. I'm comfortable with Krawchuk as our starter for the next 2 years after this season, as of right now. I've only seen 1.5 periods of Gaulton so can't comment on him - but he seems like the one that could be dangled in trade.

Reactions: EvenSteven

howlman

Mar 9, 2004

"Defenseman Andre Anania has been assigned to the Sudbury Wolves of the Ontario Hockey League (OHL)"

Reactions: WolvesFan

WeThe North

Jun 7, 2021
Wow Simpson has been traded to Kingston ! Can’t wait to see Sudbury make an impactful move… the East will be good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad