Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wrong board.

That was posted on the intended board. It was intended to serve as a bit of a reality check for those that believe the wolves did not settle for a local coach; and, believe the wolves really have any choice other than sell off Thompson + for a promising young D and picks.
That’s not being pessimistic. It’s realistic, imo. Perhaps a bit hopeful; I do not want to find out how good of a ‘team’ that can be built waiting until round 5-6 to select a G and round 4-5 for first D for four consecutive drafts, 5 out of 6 drafts.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
That was posted on the intended board. It was intended to serve as a bit of a reality check for those that believe the wolves did not settle for a local coach; and, believe the wolves really have any choice other than sell off Thompson + for a promising young D and picks.
That’s not being pessimistic. It’s realistic, imo. Perhaps a bit hopeful; I do not want to find out how good of a ‘team’ that can be built waiting until round 5-6 to select a G and round 4-5 for first D for four consecutive drafts, 5 out of 6 drafts.

You're too much. :laugh::laugh::laugh: yourlove for Barrie is predominate. Marty Williamson is very similar in the Duncanson hiring, he is coming from the OUAA coaching Brock, and was Senior Advisor for Barrie for last few years, they didn't go far in hiring him because he was with organization already, this could have been planned seeing Jason Ford leaving. Also Williamson was with organization coaching previously.

You are such a genius saying Thompson could be sold off being that this could be his last year in the OHL before going professional. Wolves last few drafts A+, when I need a fortune teller I will give you a ring. ;)

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
You're too much. :laugh::laugh::laugh: yourlove for Barrie is predominate. Marty Williamson is very similar in the Duncanson hiring, he is coming from the OUAA coaching Brock, and was Senior Advisor for Barrie for last few years, they didn't go far in hiring him because he was with organization already, this could have been planned seeing Jason Ford leaving. Also Williamson was with organization coaching previously.

You are such a genius saying Thompson could be sold off being that this could be his last year in the OHL before going professional. Wolves last few drafts A+, when I need a fortune teller I will give you a ring. ;)

nothing similar to the hires or coaching records of Duncanson and Williamson, Cub.
J.Ford a pretty good GM in his own right was let go. He did not have a voice in anything during the last year of his contract.

Reactions: justawolfan

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019

They have two very, very different resumes

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
nothing similar to the hires or coaching records of Duncanson and Williamson, Cub.
J.Ford a pretty good GM in his own right was let go. He did not have a voice in anything during the last year of his contract.

You make it sound that they went and got Williamson, he was already connected with the organization, more of an internal move. Plus he's kind of retread being with the organization already in the past. You criticized Stillman all during his stay with the Wolves, he is doing ok without your expertise.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Sure, but one probably was there simply by choice vs the other.....

800 career OHL games vs 0 is probably the more nuanced 'take'.

OHL is stepping stone for coaches, Ducanson paid his dues and should get a fair shake. Many coaches come into the OHL with limited experience, for example Cory Stillman Zero games, now with Arizona Coaching staff. Williamson never climbed up to the next level. Actually went backwards to the OUA, but find himself back to Barrie.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Williamson was indeed sought by Barrie to consult as Ford has been on his way out for a couple of years and the franchise supposedly available for purchase.
Williamson has been to three OHL finals, one more conference final, ON OUAA final, and has not missed the playoffs for 15 combined seasons.
Duncanson & Stillman seem fine, maybe they will coach a team deep into a playoff one day. Until then, I’d say Williamson should be the preferred OHL option

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Williamson was indeed sought by Barrie to consult as Ford has been on his way out for a couple of years and the franchise supposedly available for purchase.
Williamson has been to three OHL finals, one more conference final, ON OUAA final, and has not missed the playoffs for 15 combined seasons.
Duncanson & Stillman seem fine, maybe they will coach a team deep into a playoff one day. Until then, I’d say Williamson should be the preferred OHL option

preferred no one took him except his old team, been out there for awhile. Anyways enough Barrie stuff on Wolves board. :laugh:

Reactions: Iloveallsports

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
OHL is stepping stone for coaches, Ducanson paid his dues and should get a fair shake. Many coaches come into the OHL with limited experience, for example Cory Stillman Zero games, now with Arizona Coaching staff. Williamson never climbed up to the next level. Actually went backwards to the OUA, but find himself back to Barrie.

You were comparing them as if they are equal right now.

One may be a significantly better coach then the other, time will tell, however right now, they are not at the same level from a resume standpoint.

Reactions: justawolfan

cub

Apr 11, 2012
You were comparing them as if they are equal right now.

One may be a significantly better coach then the other, time will tell, however right now, they are not at the same level from a resume standpoint.

Stillman is in the show-NHL , worked for him. Can't always go by resume, they're are other intangibles.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
Stillman is in the show-NHL , worked for him. Can't always go by resume, they're are other intangibles.

And again, your point was that right now they are both U Sports coaches and are at the same level resume wise. That is not the case.

Williamson could be the worst coach in the league next year, but right this second, he is at a higher level then Duncanson. Duncanson could win coach of the year next year, but thats not known. We know the past resumes of both.

My only point is insinuating that both are at the same level based solely on the level they coached the past year is not necessarily a fair comment.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
And again, your point was that right now they are both U Sports coaches and are at the same level resume wise. That is not the case.

Williamson could be the worst coach in the league next year, but right this second, he is at a higher level then Duncanson. Duncanson could win coach of the year next year, but thats not known. We know the past resumes of both.

My only point is insinuating that both are at the same level based solely on the level they coached the past year is not necessarily a fair comment.

My point what have you done lately, he was in the OUA, not OHL. If he came from the NHL, or even another OHL team it would have more merit. Coaching in the OUA after being in the OHL for awhile is kind of a demotion to the resume.

AttackBeacher

Feb 1, 2019
My point what have you done lately, he was in the OUA, not OHL. If he came from the NHL, or even another OHL team it would have more merit. Coaching in the OUA after being in the OHL for awhile is kind of a demotion to the resume.

In that sense, the comparison to Stillman, who was coming from the NHL, is not apt either then.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

going to the OUAA to run the hockey program likely for >$ and establishing school records immediately after an OHL final does not in any way diminish a resume.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I feel like the Dunc hire could be better but also should be decent for what we need right now which is development of the young guys before our next window. Besides Stillman and Thompson we really have nothing next year, so if this team performs I think Dunc deserves praise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad