Sudbury Wolves 2021-22 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Dave Cameron hired as head coach for Ottawa! Now that’s a replacement. We missed the boat.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Just read that the NHL will allow those OHL players who played 20 or more games in the AHL last season to remain in there even though they are junior age.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Just read that the NHL will allow those OHL players who played 20 or more games in the AHL last season to remain in there even though they are junior age.

WJ

I think it’s good for the players that can have a regular shift on an AHL team. If the change becomes permanent, it might attract players avoiding the CHL for a quicker route to pro hockey. It might be good thing for the double rookie class too. A smaller ‘05 born that hasn’t played above bantam could very well get hurt going up against Holmes or Sebrango.
It’s not so good for fans that purchased season tickets expecting to see a certain player, or good for team’s walk up ticket sales, or a contender losing its’ top player. Hamilton should be very upset if Mysak makes his AHL team having passed on import draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wolfman Jack

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Gee, maybe we passed on Dave Cameron since he is so old? :)

Or more likely, Cameron would only go to a few select teams; possibly like Wellwood waiting on a Windsor opening. Cameron goes to work with Boyd whom he is probably familiar with from Miss days: and, gets the WJC coaching gig. I doubt Sudbury was ever a consideration for some coaches this year with a dozen HC positions available. We are just going to have to be satisfied with the wolves getting a coach that wants to be in Sudbury, and hope it works out for the long term.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wiserbud

PuckStop75

Feb 21, 2019
I think it’s good for the players that can have a regular shift on an AHL team. If the change becomes permanent, it might attract players avoiding the CHL for a quicker route to pro hockey. It might be good thing for the double rookie class too. A smaller ‘05 born that hasn’t played above bantam could very well get hurt going up against Holmes or Sebrango.
It’s not so good for fans that purchased season tickets expecting to see a certain player, or good for team’s walk up ticket sales, or a contender losing its’ top player. Hamilton should be very upset if Mysak makes his AHL team having passed on import draft.
As a one off, Hamilton could be offered the opportunity to sign a replacement. The issue then would be that following the NHL draft options that weren't available before could open up. I don't see Mysak making an AHL team so its a discussion best reserved for the when rather than the if.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Dave Cameron hired as head coach for Ottawa! Now that’s a replacement. We missed the boat.

WJ

I think we just need to accept that under current ownership or management we’re getting unproven local or never coached before looking at the wolves as a stepping stone. Ken Burgess managed to get names like McMaster, Watt, Foligno; so it’s not (just) the location.

Last edited:

cub

Apr 11, 2012
local Ken Mckenzie had a good run coaching the Wolves, maybe during Wolves peak years.

If you look at the history of coaches for the Wolves not many big names, Watt was here a short period ( less than a season),
Mc Master( very good but not a coach) was a GM during Mckenzie tenure. Foligno local boy coaching his boys. I really liked Trent Cull, but got caught in the Burgess politics and left.

I will give Duncanson a fair shake see what he does, he definitely has paid his dues.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Duncanson has definitely put the time in to have earned a shot. I have no issue with hire; but I had absolutely no expectation that the wolves would attract a top option. I can also understand WJ being disappointed in the hire.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
disappointed? , he is a former Wolf, NHL hockey player, has coached for many years. Been a captain on all his teams, so I don't think you can complain with this selection.

Exactly, give this guy the credit he deserves. He is stepping down to a lower level of hockey but with a more even recruiting system. He has two experienced OHL coaches working with him and Craig is well connected and respected in the industry.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
disappointed? , he is a former Wolf, NHL hockey player, has coached for many years. Been a captain on all his teams, so I don't think you can complain with this selection.

I see it too Cubby! Not saying Duncanson can’t do the job but going from a bigger name in Stillman to his seems like a step down. Not only that, I was expecting a bigger name as well. The local university coach just doesn’t scream out recruitibility to star minor midget kids.

We can say it’s a lower level of hockey overall sure but major junior seems much more important then Canadian university hockey! Just my opinion.

I hope he does well and proves us wrong but I completely understand the reservations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad