Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Wonder if a message will be sent to Clarke Friday against Barrie for his cheap shot on Byfield last game. How do you send it considering he is only a rookie?Possible assignment for McCallum? What do you think?

really want to start that? Then, Piercy takes Byfield off for 5 min fighting major; maybe busts his hand or gets a fist in the eye ... Clarke is as big a star rookie as any; except the exceptional status

Reactions: hockeynorth

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Might of meant more if Sudbury didn't lose 7-0 :laugh:
Whatever bud it was the highlight of the game for me I don’t give a shit what the score was, doesn’t change the outcome of the fight, and yes Carson won, accept it. I was working and that’s the only part of the game I caught at the end of my lunch. Glad I missed the rest in retrospect. I loved the little I saw at least. Statement. Very proud of Carson. I called him a leader and he continues to prove it.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Whatever bud it was the highlight of the game for me I don’t give a **** what the score was, doesn’t change the outcome of the fight, and yes Carson won, accept it. I was working and that’s the only part of the game I caught at the end of my lunch. Glad I missed the rest in retrospect. I loved the little I saw at least. Statement. Very proud of Carson. I called him a leader and he continues to prove it.
:laugh::laugh::laugh: my highlight of the game was the the WIN, I don’t give a **** about who won the fight :thumbu:

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCoach

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
Feels like lots of wolves fans have never left the 90s. More important to win fights and get revenge cheap shots then to win hockey games.

Maybe 1 person said something like that! Just because people thought it was a good fight and Carson won it doesn’t mean that we don’t care about winning hockey games.

You just can’t always have a negative outlook. If there was 1 positive from the game what would you say it was? I’d say it was the fight because the team played terrible and the goaltending was brutal.

Everyone upset at Paps right now has to take a step back and think about this. Would one trade make our team much better? He took his shot on the G front with Dichow and Purboo.. sometimes you miss. Lately coaching has been subpar. Dressing 8 D and using 2 to play forward? Guys who prolly haven’t played forward since Peewee...

I’d just rather focus on the positive and look forward in stead of letting the past and what ifs drag me down...

Try it!!! It actually really helps!!

cub

Apr 11, 2012
:laugh::laugh::laugh: my highlight of the game was the the WIN, I don’t give a **** about who won the fight :thumbu:

Carson has the BELT. if you didn't care why you comment about it so much?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Carson has the BELT. if you didn't care why you comment about it so much?
Feels like lots of wolves fans have never left the 90s. More important to win fights and get revenge cheap shots then to win hockey games.
Yalbmert responded to this already so I won't bother going into detail. It was one positive, no one said they were happy about the game itself.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Personally wish they would back off the hype of Byfield and let the kid play hockey. He came out on Sunday trying to skate through people. He and a few others played to the cameras and not like a team. Let's hope they can get back to playing as a team. Let's hope management doesn't sit on their hands too long. JMO.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Tell me which OA sits and/or gets traded?

That's a question that the GM has to answer, not any of the posters on here. I won't speculate on who should stay or go, what my post was about is that trading players or picks is not necessarily the way a GM has to make changes. Last year WAS a re-build year, and that's when things could've started to happen in rebuilding the team for next season. The trouble was the goalie fooled many in believing it was a better team than it really was. The core of this team remained basically the same as it was last year MINUS players. The players that aged out last year have not been replaced this year by rookies or additions. Although the rookies are good, they did not replace the character profiles lost from last year. Ask yourself, is this a better team, minus Lukonnen, or a downgraded team minus Lukonnen? I don't believe it is better. The hole that last years team had is still there, and that is a weak defence. They lost grit is losing Drake Pilon that hasn't been replaced yet. As much as I didn't care for the Pilons, a player certainly had their head on a swivel when they were on the ice and that mentality removes a players impact every time they're on the ice together. Now this year, the issue is still the same one as last year, but now add in a goaltending issue and toughness whether a posters "thinks" that toughness is needed or not.

So the answer isn't just trade or sit an OA, its a bigger picture than that. The goalies available from the WHL was just an example of the options available and what presented itself at that particular time. There are many players that are in the QMJHL that were drafted by OHL teams that left, more so than Q players coming to the Ohl. Why ask who sits or gets traded, that window was missed when thinking of the goalies from the WHL. There is a saying that says "the more TIME you spend looking at the past, is TIME you steal from your future". The question that presents itself today, is how does the GM and coaches make changes today, tomorrow or next week with the most benefit and less potential damage (draft picks) to this team. There are options to improve a team, but sometimes looking outside of the "box" is what is needed.

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
really want to start that? Then, Piercy takes Byfield off for 5 min fighting major; maybe busts his hand or gets a fist in the eye ... Clarke is as big a star rookie as any; except the exceptional status

Maybe it is time that 6'4" Byfield sent a message to those watching himself. Ask yourself this question. If Byfield sent his own message to Clarke and whomever else is thinking about running him, then players stop running him. If he doesn't stand up for himself, then he will have a target on his back and teams will target him and that starts to eat away at a players confidence. Teams are starting to figure out that they can run Byfield all game and there will be little response from him. Guys like Walker don't care about sitting for 5 and that's WHY the Carson scrap was important. But, there will be a time when Byfield will have to step up for himself.

The last player that size and talent that stood up for himself was Eric Lindros.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Clarke is a star in the making, no one will be dumb enough to ‘send a message’.
Byfield looking for Clarke is a distraction from what makes him effective and would only cause Allensen to look for an opportunity to take his head off. Byfield should just be aware to keep his up when recklessly cutting through the middle.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Clarke is a star in the making, no one will be dumb enough to ‘send a message’.
Byfield looking for Clarke is a distraction from what makes him effective and would only cause Allensen to look for an opportunity to take his head off. Byfield should just be aware to keep his up when recklessly cutting through the middle.

You are so far off base regarding that post. If you don't understand what is written, that's ok. The jest of the post wasn't to go out looking for Clarke..... The quote stated that when a player cheap shots you, there are times when YOU address it instead of running to the bench and EXPECTING someone else to take care of it. There are times when a player has to stand up for himself and stop being a diaper to be dumped in every game. There are players at the next level that will be "on him" until he stands up for himself. Its not the idea of him running around, but regarding the Clarke incident, Byfield should have addressed that immediately or the next shift.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Just hoping for a win to snap the losing streak. More importantly Barrie has five games on hand and they are only 4 points back. They are playing for Dale and have a pretty solid line up. Wolves cannot play soft and must find a way to play a full 60 minutes to get this win. If they lose you could say that we won’t hold on to the central much longer. Interesting weekend with both games vs Central division rivals.

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Just hoping for a win to snap the losing streak. More importantly Barrie has five games on hand and they are only 4 points back. They are playing for Dale and have a pretty solid line up. Wolves cannot play soft and must find a way to play a full 60 minutes to get this win. If they lose you could say that we won’t hold on to the central much longer. Interesting weekend with both games vs Central division rivals.

WJ

I agree that this a big weekend. It will be interesting if there is some remedy to the Wolves back end in the next couple of weeks. Now is the time where things should start happening with a little more than a month to go before trade deadline.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016

WJ

Agreed! Big 4 point swing either way!

thebignick

Nov 5, 2019
yes I Carson got the win, but the belt is still up for grabs. If he wants to claim the belt, he’d have to beat John Parker Jones in Peterborough.

So Hutch owns the Belt? Because he won the fight between him and JPJ during the game earlier this year in Sudbury ?

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
That's a question that the GM has to answer, not any of the posters on here. I won't speculate on who should stay or go, what my post was about is that trading players or picks is not necessarily the way a GM has to make changes. Last year WAS a re-build year, and that's when things could've started to happen in rebuilding the team for next season. The trouble was the goalie fooled many in believing it was a better team than it really was. The core of this team remained basically the same as it was last year MINUS players. The players that aged out last year have not been replaced this year by rookies or additions. Although the rookies are good, they did not replace the character profiles lost from last year. Ask yourself, is this a better team, minus Lukonnen, or a downgraded team minus Lukonnen? I don't believe it is better. The hole that last years team had is still there, and that is a weak defence. They lost grit is losing Drake Pilon that hasn't been replaced yet. As much as I didn't care for the Pilons, a player certainly had their head on a swivel when they were on the ice and that mentality removes a players impact every time they're on the ice together. Now this year, the issue is still the same one as last year, but now add in a goaltending issue and toughness whether a posters "thinks" that toughness is needed or not.

So the answer isn't just trade or sit an OA, its a bigger picture than that. The goalies available from the WHL was just an example of the options available and what presented itself at that particular time. There are many players that are in the QMJHL that were drafted by OHL teams that left, more so than Q players coming to the Ohl. Why ask who sits or gets traded, that window was missed when thinking of the goalies from the WHL. There is a saying that says "the more TIME you spend looking at the past, is TIME you steal from your future". The question that presents itself today, is how does the GM and coaches make changes today, tomorrow or next week with the most benefit and less potential damage (draft picks) to this team. There are options to improve a team, but sometimes looking outside of the "box" is what is needed.

OK then, if we picked up an OA goalie from the Dub, what would you do if you were the GM to get down to 3 OAs? Who do you trade and what could we get back? What other irons are in the fire? It might have been nice to claim Brkin or Myskiw but we weren't low enough in the standings to do so and to get them would require giving up an asset plus making a decision on an OA.

What there should have been is a backup plan for when Dichow didn't come over that didn't involve the WHL. I hope the goaltending situation is rectified this week

Reactions: hockieguy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad