Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 3)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Exactly; after trading Bowman, Lyszarczyk, 1sts-Lalonde, Pezetta, & O’Grady, Sokolov, and Ali, Baker, Garagan, & Tabak, Papineau has/had the assets required to make a run this season
I think we lost out big on Tabak tbh, wish we still had him, the Butler pick sucks too. Lalonde was a solid deal as was O'Grady and Pezetta. Sokolov was bad but I get why. The rest... meh

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
No excuses for Paps. Like I've said, we will soon see what he's made of as we head towards the trade deadline. If he sits pat or does lateral moves, it will be a failure of epic proportions. This talk of the Wolves not having enough assets is all bull. I've already listed all the picks we have to deal with plus McCallum plus one of Ross/Phillips. We just need a GM with the balls to go for it and turn Sudbury into contenders. Help is needed and some key trades can fill some holes and upgrade this team for a deep playoff push. Getter done Paps, Sudbury fans have suffered enough. We want a winner badly
The value of the players you mention is just not what you may think. To join the bidding wars with teams that are better than us that can over pay for top players kind of foils our plans. The name McCallum keeps coming up, what puts a trading value on him? His stats or that he is a first rounder. He is a unproven player who gets limited ice time at this point. Better come up with names like Thompson and anyone but the Q if you want impact players. Like I said earlier fans tend to over rate their players.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
The value of the players you mention is just not what you may think. To join the bidding wars with teams that are better than us that can over pay for top players kind of foils our plans. The name McCallum keeps coming up, what puts a trading value on him? His stats or that he is a first rounder. He is a unproven player who gets limited ice time at this point. Better come up with names like Thompson and anyone but the Q if you want impact players. Like I said earlier fans tend to over rate their players.
Billoink as much as we over value players... Thompson is 100% an over payment for just about anyone not named Perfetti or Rossi. The historical price is a teams 1st rounder (because they're the youngest possible and should have the most upside) and picks. You don't pay a projected top 50 NHL pick AND THEN SOME to get what will likely just end up being the OHL version of a rental instead. We're all using historical comparable to project prices and McCallum + a 2nd + a 3rd plus conditional picks should be enough for anyone (that is more than Robert Thomas went for FYI). Players aren't as expensive as some like to think, which is why we never get much for our guys.

Like guys here's the SUZUKI AND DURZI deal (like no one compares to these two that will be moved): The Guelph #Storm have acquired Nick Suzuki, Sean Durzi and Zach Roberts from the Owen Sound #Attack in exchange for Barrett Kirwin, Zach Poirier, Mark Woolley, 4th round pick (‘19), 3rd round pick (‘21), 2nd round pick (‘22) and a conditional 3rd round pick (‘22)

Saigeon: The Oshawa #Generals acquire Brandon Saigeon from the Hamilton #Bulldogs in exchange for a 2nd ('19), 2nd ('22) and a 3rd ('24)

Maksimovich (kind of guys we need basically): #Otters trade Kyle Maksimovich to the Ottawa #67s in exchange for Niagara's 2nd ('19), 2nd ('20) a conditional 2nd ('24) and a 13th ('19)

Here's a hefty price paid for Studnicka, but still a first rounder as the centre piece (and off a very deep blue line no less: The Niagara #IceDogs have acquired Jack Studnicka and Matt Brassard from the Oshawa #Generals in exchange for Lleyton Moore, a London 2nd (‘20), a Oshawa 2nd (‘21), a Mississauga 2nd (‘22), a Peterborough 3rd (‘22), 3rd (‘23) and a Mississauga 3rd (‘24)

Owen Tippett (aka better than Noel and Thomas): The Saginaw #Spirit have acquired Owen Tippett from the Mississauga #Steelheads in exchange for Aidan Prueter, 3rd round pick ('19), 7th round pick ('19), Barrie 2nd round pick ('20), Sarnia 3rd round pick ('20), 7th round pick ('20) and a Sudbury 2nd ('21)

Ryan McLeod (I consider this as making sense to pay for a guy like Thomas + maybe a conditional): Mississauga #Steelheads trade Ryan McLeod to the Saginaw #Spirit in exchange for Duncan Penman, London 3rd ('19), 2nd ('20), 3rd ('22), 3rd ('24) and a conditional draft pick

And the biggest price paid except for DiPietro: Kingston #Frontenacs trade Jason Robertson and Jacob Paquette to the Niagara #IceDogs in exchange for Billy Constantinou, Ian Martin, Sarnia 2nd (‘19), Windsor 7th (‘19), Windsor 3rd (‘20), 13th (‘20), Peterborough 2nd (‘21), 5th (‘21), 11th (‘21), 2nd (‘22), Kitchener 3rd (‘22), 2nd (‘23) and a London 3rd (‘24)

So there's some comparables, some higher price some lower so no one can say I was picky and choosey. Thompson will not have to go unless we're getting a Perfetti/Rossi or heck Nick Robertson lol. We all over value our guys too much and most also over judge trade cost too much.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
I think we lost out big on Tabak tbh, wish we still had him, the Butler pick sucks too. Lalonde was a solid deal as was O'Grady and Pezetta. Sokolov was bad but I get why. The rest... meh
How did we lose out on Tabak? The man has six goals this season. 15 total in his career, and it's his forth season in the league.

Reactions: Patverbeek

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
How did we lose out on Tabak? The man has six goals this season. 15 total in his career, and it's his forth season in the league.

Actually 3rd season and first time draft eligible as he’s still just 17. He had a nice 7pts in 3 game stretch in the top six while Sarnia had injuries; so, there is some upside there and a likely OA season. Sarnia got good value for a 4th pick, imo.

Last edited:

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I said Oshawa was going to trade Antropov... and that's a cheap price too. Noel next

maybe Oshawa wouldn’t trade him within the east. Or was asking for a way better return if he stayed in the conference. The asking price changes depending on who’s asking.

Im just saying we’re not in the room and part of the conversations.

It be great if we added a top 3 guy to play with Byfield. It would put everyone in a better position to succeed.

Last edited:

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Huge game tonight. Byfield is going to have a monster game. Purboo needs to be sharp.

Go Wolves Go

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
maybe Oshawa wouldn’t trade him within the east. Or was asking for a way better return if he stayed in the conference. The asking price changes depending on who’s asking.

It be great if we added a top 3 guy to play with Byfield. It would put everyone in a better position to succeed.
Agree with this it likely would have been higher

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Too many Hindsight Master Managers on this board.:) Tabak wasn't a big loss, also he was not happy with his playing time I believe. You have to give something to get something.
That is true as well I just regret not keeping him now but I believe he did request a deal

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada

I don’t think this team needs to add scoring. They need to stop being scored upon. Goaltending, defence...

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Actually 3rd season and first time draft eligible as he’s still just 17. He had a nice 7pts in 3 game stretch in the top six while Sarnia had injuries; so, there is some upside there and a likely OA season. Sarnia got good value for a 4th pick, imo.
Point is, he's not that good. Not a great loss. Wish him well.

yalbmert25

Apr 10, 2016
I don’t think this team needs to add scoring. They need to stop being scored upon. Goaltending, defence...

I’m not saying they don’t need a G and a D. But tough to acquire another D without moving 1 or 2 of them out. We already dress 8D. To keep up with Ottawa and Oshawa, it would be nice to give Byfield an elite talent beside him. Then you can move Bulitka down the lineup where he’s more effective.

Reactions: hockeynorth

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

last thing wolves need is LW

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Fix the backend. Goaltending, defense and coaching. When our goaltending is so inconsistent any coach that continually lets the d cheat and rush, should be held accountable. Once in a while yes...all the time ..unacceptable! Not sure about Bulitka comment he is not the problem with forwards.

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Fix the backend. Goaltending, defense and coaching. When our goaltending is so inconsistent any coach that continually lets the d cheat and rush, should be held accountable. Once in a while yes...all the time ..unacceptable! Not sure about Bulitka comment he is not the problem with forwards.

jwc

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Iloveallsports

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Looks like Purboo not going anywhere. All dolled up with new gear.

You got guys playing out of position.

Gotta believe something is going down. Probably going to add D and add firing punch.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad