Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
If it were me I go with Weeks, need to come out 2 out of 3 for the weekend. I think Weeks gives us the best chance to accomplish this. Purboo to me he is fragile mentally at this point.

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
If it were me I go with Weeks, need to come out 2 out of 3 for the weekend. I think Weeks gives us the best chance to accomplish this. Purboo to me he is fragile mentally at this point.
1-0 Guelph. Brutal goal

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
Starting to wonder if we should just chalk Purboo up as a bad trade and start to look for someone else to split with Weeks.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Nice win today boys

Purpoo with a better played game. Made some good saves

Manikis is a load to deal with. Give him some time.

Kids looking good

:devdance::devdance::devdance::devdance:

Reactions: cub

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Just finished watching the game vs Guelph...

-Purboo still makes me very nervous every time the pressure is on in the Sudbury zone.
-With it being a 3 game weekend in 2 1/2 days you could tell some players were running on fumes. Some of the younger forwards who are not used to the OHL type schedule and grind of the games especially after Friday nights. But they dug deep to get the W which is all the matters at the end of the day.
-Thompson had a really quiet game.
-Some bad penalties were taken but at least we got our share of PP's today. But Stillman was upset about something late in the game and was chewing out the officials for sometime.
-Hutchison with two goals and I hope its a sign of more to come. We need him and Robinson to chip in alot more.
-Young Stillman manages to chip pucks up and finds openings which is translating to points. Good for him. I wish our 1st rounder would get more involved. But in all honesty he hasn't had the same opportunity as Stillman. But I do think Stillman is more skilled IMO.
-Byfield is looking a bit tired and banged up.But still manages to pick up two points. One must wonder why Sudbury keeps running with one less forward! Surprised considering it was a 3 game weekend.
-Happy they got 4 out of 6 points this weekend. The record would have been 7-6 with a loss today but its not 8-5 which is much better heading into another road trip next weekend.

Side note: Gafferra was traded to Ottawa for 3 3rd round picks. Ottawa now has 4 overage players. Wonder if Wilson becomes available. Sudbury could really use another left dman.

I'm still on Papineau watch. Don't know what direction he's going with this team.

WJ

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
There were a few things that had me scratching my head this weekend. The number of line combinations seemed excessive. I can't imagine how these guys can build any kind of rhythm as a line when they never really know who they're playing with. The number of shots that missed the net was hard to believe as well, and crazy wide misses. Hit the damn net! #92 had me questioning how a player can be really good and then recently lazy and uninterested. A bit of a diva I think. Maybe the pro camp got him thinking about aggressive hockey and had him really competing but lately that's gone away. I think Stillman is making the best of the situation at the moment but it must be difficult.

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeynorth

analyser

Jan 7, 2014
Just finished watching the game vs Guelph...

-Purboo still makes me very nervous every time the pressure is on in the Sudbury zone.
-With it being a 3 game weekend in 2 1/2 days you could tell some players were running on fumes. Some of the younger forwards who are not used to the OHL type schedule and grind of the games especially after Friday nights. But they dug deep to get the W which is all the matters at the end of the day.
-Thompson had a really quiet game.
-Some bad penalties were taken but at least we got our share of PP's today. But Stillman was upset about something late in the game and was chewing out the officials for sometime.
-Hutchison with two goals and I hope its a sign of more to come. We need him and Robinson to chip in alot more.
-Young Stillman manages to chip pucks up and finds openings which is translating to points. Good for him. I wish our 1st rounder would get more involved. But in all honesty he hasn't had the same opportunity as Stillman. But I do think Stillman is more skilled IMO.
-Byfield is looking a bit tired and banged up.But still manages to pick up two points. One must wonder why Sudbury keeps running with one less forward! Surprised considering it was a 3 game weekend.
-Happy they got 4 out of 6 points this weekend. The record would have been 7-6 with a loss today but its not 8-5 which is much better heading into another road trip next weekend.

Side note: Gafferra was traded to Ottawa for 3 3rd round picks. Ottawa now has 4 overage players. Wonder if Wilson becomes available. Sudbury could really use another left dman.

I'm still on Papineau watch. Don't know what direction he's going with this team.

WJ
The 67s announced that Wilson is the odd man out. They are going to try and accommodate his preferred destination if possible. He is a good stay at home type who can move the puck out of his own zone. In addition, he can handle the rough going and will stand up for his team. Sorry to see him go.

Reactions: Iloveallsports

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
There were a few things that had me scratching my head this weekend. The number of line combinations seemed excessive. I can't imagine how these guys can build any kind of rhythm as a line when they never really know who they're playing with. The number of shots that missed the net was hard to believe as well, and crazy wide misses. Hit the damn net! #92 had me questioning how a player can be really good and then recently lazy and uninterested. A bit of a diva I think. Maybe the pro camp got him thinking about aggressive hockey and had him really competing but lately that's gone away. I think Stillman is making the best of the situation at the moment but it must be difficult.
And to think last year I had everyone up in arms when I had mentioned of trading Murray when his stock was high. Well I think more and more people are starting to see it now. Out of the top 4 teams in the East Ottawa, Oshawa, Petes and Sudbury. I believe we are the weakest and have the most boxes to check off with the least amount of draft picks. I really hope Papineau can pull a few rabbits out of the hat soon. Barrie also has a team that I think can surprise alot of people. They are big, have skill and goaltending. If they smooth out a couple of things to their roster they could be a huge pain in the backside come playoffs.

WJ

Reactions: hockieguy

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
The 67s announced that Wilson is the odd man out. They are going to try and accommodate his preferred destination if possible. He is a good stay at home type who can move the puck out of his own zone. In addition, he can handle the rough going and will stand up for his team. Sorry to see him go.
Would be a perfect fit for the Wolves on the left side of our defence. But will Ottawa deal with Sudbury when they are both in the top 4 of the conference. And what will it cost to get Wilson? I see Ottawa is trying to replicate last season by getting Gaffarra as they did Chiodo from Barrie at the deadline. A small crafty player maker who picks up points consistently.

WJ

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Team is playing very defensively in their own end, blocking shots and redirecting pucks away from the net. Both goalies performed well when the shots were kept to a minimum. Just stay close in the standings and wait for the right deal to come along. The second season begins after the trade deadline when teams decide if they will be sellers. That is when we could deal for another Faska.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Team is playing very defensively in their own end, blocking shots and redirecting pucks away from the net. Both goalies performed well when the shots were kept to a minimum. Just stay close in the standings and wait for the right deal to come along. The second season begins after the trade deadline when teams decide if they will be sellers. That is when we could deal for another Faska.
Don't want another Faska. But I would take another Ruzicka!!!

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
And to think last year I had everyone up in arms when I had mentioned of trading Murray when his stock was high. Well I think more and more people are starting to see it now. Out of the top 4 teams in the East Ottawa, Oshawa, Petes and Sudbury. I believe we are the weakest and have the most boxes to check off with the least amount of draft picks. I really hope Papineau can pull a few rabbits out of the hat soon. Barrie also has a team that I think can surprise alot of people. They are big, have skill and goaltending. If they smooth out a couple of things to their roster they could be a huge pain in the backside come playoffs.

WJ

Murray has had a rough two weeks yet is still at 1.0 PPG. Hardly any justification to the proclamation that you were right about needing to trade Murray.

Also, his stock was never all that high, and whatever his stock was at any point last year, it's much higher now as he has top 3 forward offensive upside as an 18-year old. So if you were on the "trade Murray" train then, you should be now as well.

Reactions: cub and hockeynorth

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Murray has had a rough two weeks yet is still at 1.0 PPG. Hardly any justification to the proclamation that you were right about needing to trade Murray.

Also, his stock was never all that high, and whatever his stock was at any point last year, it's much higher now as he has top 3 forward offensive upside as an 18-year old. So if you were on the "trade Murray" train then, you should be now as well.
Always have been just haven’t been as vocal about it. I don’t care for his game. Yes he is a point per game player and he should be. But you take him off Byfield”s line and off the PP and he isn’t as lethal you make him. At one point last season I would have traded him. He was in a bit of a scoring streak after playing North Bay a few games in a week as he is known to score in bunches vs them. But then he went in another long slump. This year his third in the league he should be scoring for as high a pick he was. But I think we need more from him outside of his streaky scoring. He would be a guy we should include in a package to get some 19 year old players. IMO.

WJ

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
OA defence man Wilson from Ottawa dealt to the Petes for a 4th rounder. The Petes just got even harder to beat. Wondering when Papineau makes a move. Wilson was a player I had hoped we would of went after to improve our defence. Solid defender and tough. And the price was incredibly cheap for a top 4 guy. Great pick up by the Petes.

WJ

Reactions: Bra Wavers

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
CARON SENT BACK TO TIMMINS ROCK

The team with the second best record in the Northern Ontario Jr. Hockey League has added a defenseman from the Ontario Hockey League.
Timmins Rock, which trails only the Powassan Voodoos in the 12-team NOJHL, will have 19-year old local product Phil Caron in the lineup this weekend.
Caron, who played in the NOJHL as a 16-year old with the erstwhile Iroquois Falls Eskimos, has been assigned to Timmins by the Sudbury Wolves of the OHL.
Caron had five assists in nine games for the OHL Wolves this season. He previously played in 25 OHL games for the Soo Greyhounds and suited up for one match with the Guelph Storm, while also seeing action in six contests for the Gatineau Olympiques of the Quebec Major Jr. Hockey League.
The 5-foot-8, 170-pound Caron joins a Timmins team that has a record of 13-2-2, including a pair of shutout wins over the reigning NOJHL champion Hearst Lumberjacks.
The Rock has allowed only 31 goals in 17 games, which is the best average in the NOJHL.

WJ

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
OA defence man Wilson from Ottawa dealt to the Petes for a 4th rounder. The Petes just got even harder to beat. Wondering when Papineau makes a move. Wilson was a player I had hoped we would of went after to improve our defence. Solid defender and tough. And the price was incredibly cheap for a top 4 guy. Great pick up by the Petes.

WJ

Player I hoped for as well. Yeah cheap, the ‘67s may have accommodated Wilson’s wishes. Down to Brahaney and Gordeev for what I see as good (OA) fits.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Is Rasmus Kupari no longer protected? I see he is playing for the Ontario Reign. Isn't he only 18! Would love the Wolves to try and deal for his rights since we have an open import spot. I also see Kaapo Kakko from the NYR not lasting past his 10 games. Where will he go? I don't see a CHL team that holds his rights. Some interesting imports out there still. Since we have some good connections with Finnish imports the last two seasons wonder if Papineau can fill his last import spot with one of these guys. Wouldn't that be something!

WJ

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Is Rasmus Kupari no longer protected? I see he is playing for the Ontario Reign. Isn't he only 18! Would love the Wolves to try and deal for his rights since we have an open import spot. I also see Kaapo Kakko from the NYR not lasting past his 10 games. Where will he go? I don't see a CHL team that holds his rights. Some interesting imports out there still. Since we have some good connections with Finnish imports the last two seasons wonder if Papineau can fill his last import spot with one of these guys. Wouldn't that be something!

WJ

Kupari is 19 and is producing at the AHL level.

Kaapo Kakko would go to the AHL if NYR believes he isn't worth burning the ELC on.

Not sure how either would be a realistic option for Junior Hockey.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Kupari is 19 and is producing at the AHL level.

Kaapo Kakko would go to the AHL if NYR believes he isn't worth burning the ELC on.

Not sure how either would be a realistic option for Junior Hockey.
Just making a point that both players are still able to play Junior. If the opportunity presents itself those are options regardless how far reaching it may be. Stranger things have happened where players make their way back into the CHL following the WJHC. Jenik was a nice pick up for Hamilton from Flint last year. Pytlik from the Soo arrived later into the season. I'm sure our management is exploring options to fill the last import spot well at least I would think so.

I only mentioned the two players as they are both Finnish and we have seemed to establish a pretty good relationship with player agents of these young prospects.

Just thought I would I mention it to bring up conversation. When you say how these two would not be a realistic option for Junior Hockey why not? One is 18 and the other 19. Remember how Filatov's hockey career was ruined for rushing him into a man's game way too early. It's about longevity in the game and sometimes rushing a prospect for the sake of making 900,000 dollar salary and then never signing another NHL contract again is surely something to think about you would think. Oh well we wait and see I guess.

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad