Sudbury Wolves 2019-20 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
That's a horrible idea. What if the "victim" is some 4th liner or call up instead of Byfield? Nothing stops the team from sitting the kid a few extra games as a precaution. To many ways to game the system.

Did anyone go after Clarke after this? Taking a couple off the chin is a bigger deterrent than a handful of meaningless regular season games imo.

No, there's an easy fix for that loophole. Independent league medical examiner clears the injured players so no one can pull that.

bcspragu

Aug 17, 2012
Saginaw, MI
No, there's an easy fix for that loophole. Independent league medical examiner clears the injured players so no one can pull that.

Things like concussions arent black and white. Players can still suffer PCS even after being cleared to play. Happened last year to a player here in Saginaw. Not to mention where is this independent doctor located? Since doctors opinions can vary, they are going to have to use the same doctor to be fair to all teams. Gonna make an injured kid in the Soo travel to the GTA to get cleared? Not going to happen.

Reactions: dirty12

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Can we have WJ and Lycanthrope perspective of the game? Had a lot to say after last weekend. :laugh:

I was hoping David Branch come harder on these hits, they definitely been targeting Byfield lately, hate to see someone career ruined by some meathead. Referees need to protect players if they see things are getting out of hand, if not the team needs to start handling this. I hope the Sudbury Wolves organization makes it clear to the league, I have seen many lengthy suspensions in past to Wolves players who have done bonehead moves deservedly so. The reciprocal suspensions should happened when someone is taking liberties on players.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Even Murray took a nasty one from Suzuki of all people

Also am I correct that manikis got the Howe Hatty last night

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Can we have WJ and Lycanthrope perspective of the game? Had a lot to say after last weekend. :laugh:

I was hoping David Branch come harder on these hits, they definitely been targeting Byfield lately, hate to see someone career ruined by some meathead. Referees need to protect players if they see things are getting out of hand, if not the team needs to start handling this. I hope the Sudbury Wolves organization makes it clear to the league, I have seen many lengthy suspensions in past to Wolves players who have done bonehead moves deservedly so. The reciprocal suspensions should happened when someone is taking liberties on players.

Don't you worry, WJ will be back to have another meltdown. He's good for a few a year
:laugh::laugh::laugh:

hockieguy

Sep 7, 2012
Ontario Canada
Hard fought win. Im not a fan of hitting people from behind but Barrie seems to have an abundance of players who chose to do this on a regular basis. Slashing, crosschecking, punching all from behind. Maybe its me but I was always taught if your going to fight someone man up and face them. Blindside hit by Clarke with 10 seconds to go deserves a suspension. The Barrie coach should be ashamed of himself.
Wolves in the second seemed to forget how to receive a pass

the referees were bad, but it was “not all Barrie”. Blake Murray was king of the crosschecks last night. It was awful reffing both ways.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

The league under Branch has been proactive in protecting the brains of kid hockey players to the point of being criticized as the Outlawed Hitting League.
First of all, Clarke is no meathead; he is a higher profile prospect than Suzuki was as 1st overall pick.
Second, Byfield has been making himself a target in a Crosby/Lindros sort of way. He takes full advantage of his size and strength using excessive force whether separating a player from the puck or taking every opportunity to rough up a 160 lb player between whistles.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
Things like concussions arent black and white. Players can still suffer PCS even after being cleared to play. Happened last year to a player here in Saginaw. Not to mention where is this independent doctor located? Since doctors opinions can vary, they are going to have to use the same doctor to be fair to all teams. Gonna make an injured kid in the Soo travel to the GTA to get cleared? Not going to happen.

Ok, and who, through intent to injure, caused the concussion? I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for a kid who tries to make a name for himself by intentionally making an illegal play causing injury. He knew exactly what he was doing. That needs to stop.

Wiserbud

Mar 29, 2014
Bottom line. Refs did not manage the game. A few squirmishes where they should have sent a player off or one from each squad may have prevented the escalation. There is the premise of letting them play but obvious penalties were not called. You could see and feel it happening... if the score was not that close it would have erupted. I don't usually call out refereeing when I see a missed call or the like but last night it was more than that... incompetence.

Reactions: cub and Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

I’m pretty much agreeing with most of what I’m reading. Congrats to Weeks for a great game, really hope it helps his confidence. Barrie playing like the classless bunch of thugs they seem to have on their roster year after year and I agree the refs were terrible but as I’ve said before the Wolves are going to need to address the cheap shots and runs at Byfield. Anyone know if he’s playing tonight?

Reactions: Iloveallsports

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I’m pretty much agreeing with most of what I’m reading. Congrats to Weeks for a great game, really hope it helps his confidence. Barrie playing like the classless bunch of thugs they seem to have on their roster year after year and I agree the refs were terrible but as I’ve said before the Wolves are going to need to address the cheap shots and runs at Byfield. Anyone know if he’s playing tonight?

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Don't you worry, WJ will be back to have another meltdown. He's good for a few a year
:laugh::laugh::laugh:
Sorry to disappoint been busy today! Glad you all missed me today.
Simple about last night. We had no toughness from some guys that I thought would of answered the bell. Won’t mention any names but they are both vet players. Barrie has a lot of meat heads and the biggest one is behind the bench. Doesn’t surprise me they played that way. The refs were horrible and offered no protection to the best player in the OHL. The non calls I’m amazed more didn’t get hurt. Thank god Tucker put himself in the box the most of the third for being a bonehead. Weeks played well enough and the coaches should start him again tonight. We need to build on something with our goalies. But I’m not convinced our goalies will run a long stretch of not being pulled.
Hope you are all happy now that I gave you something to mull over now. Type away snowflakes.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
The league under Branch has been proactive in protecting the brains of kid hockey players to the point of being criticized as the Outlawed Hitting League.
First of all, Clarke is no meathead; he is a higher profile prospect than Suzuki was as 1st overall pick.
Second, Byfield has been making himself a target in a Crosby/Lindros sort of way. He takes full advantage of his size and strength using excessive force whether separating a player from the puck or taking every opportunity to rough up a 160 lb player between whistles.

It was a cheap shot, even if Clarke is very talented it was a meathead play in the final seconds of the game no need for it.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Positives last night..Weeks played well. For me not impressed with line changes. One line scoring but also getting scored on doesn't cut it. Would love to hear WJ expand on who didnt step up.

Reactions: hockeynorth

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Sorry to disappoint been busy today! Glad you all missed me today.
Simple about last night. We had no toughness from some guys that I thought would of answered the bell. Won’t mention any names but they are both vet players. Barrie has a lot of meat heads and the biggest one is behind the bench. Doesn’t surprise me they played that way. The refs were horrible and offered no protection to the best player in the OHL. The non calls I’m amazed more didn’t get hurt. Thank god Tucker put himself in the box the most of the third for being a bonehead. Weeks played well enough and the coaches should start him again tonight. We need to build on something with our goalies. But I’m not convinced our goalies will run a long stretch of not being pulled.
Hope you are all happy now that I gave you something to mull over now. Type away snowflakes.

WJ

LOL!

You never disappoint WJ!!

Reactions: cub

View from section 9

Apr 13, 2016
They were dirty all night. Trying to intimate the wolves. Funny tho, they left Carson alone. Wonder why...
Exactly why a guy like Walker is valuable, especially if he can control his emotions. It seemed last season that our opponents always got a lot "tougher" after he was sent to the showers.
Barrie did intimidate the Troops opening night, Sudbury did the same to a lesser extent in our first meeting.

barclayplager

Feb 9, 2014
Exactly why a guy like Walker is valuable, especially if he can control his emotions. It seemed last season that our opponents always got a lot "tougher" after he was sent to the showers.
Barrie did intimidate the Troops opening night, Sudbury did the same to a lesser extent in our first meeting.
..like the Leafs….lacking toughness...do not know about Wolves but Batts could use some smart toughness...hitting from behind into the boards is not toughness...

Reactions: View from section 9

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013
They were dirty all night. They should suspend the coach as well for letting his players play so irresponsible Just sayin..

Letting his players play irresponsible? Try encouraging it. Rychel loves this stuff and the Wolves are going to have to respond at some point. Byfield was targeted all night with no protection. That needs to be rectified now because as evidenced from last night the refs aren’t capable of doing it.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005

Uh what? Byfield rarely gets involved in the rough stuff. I feel like you're just blatantly trolling now.

Voice from the North

Sep 17, 2013

He does? The only small flaw in his game is that he never hits anyone and only gets involved after the whistle because he’s being challenged. I’d like to see him hit someone every so often just to let the opponents know he has that in his bag of tricks.

Habs0101

Mar 17, 2017
Positives last night..Weeks played well. For me not impressed with line changes. One line scoring but also getting scored on doesn't cut it. Would love to hear WJ expand on who didnt step up.
Simple- The Captain Carson!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad