Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 5)

Status
Not open for further replies.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Wolves are now third in the conference. Should be a good stretch run.

Going to be a battle to the end with Oshawa for 3rd in the conference, especially that we play Oshawa three more times. Going to be very exciting to watch.

Our really tough games remaining are three more against the Sault (tough team to play against with their skating and skill) and three more against Niagara (stacked team and potential 2nd round opponent if we get thru the 1st round).

Wolves are on pace for a 40+ win season, which is nice to see.

Keep it rolling boys!

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Over the weekend the one thing that stood out for me as a slight negative, aside from agreeing that Stratis and Candella were not good in our own end at all. Was that Byfield really seems a little shaky with the puck coming out of the defensive zone. Once he gets across the Red line he seems to play with a ton of confidence and strength.
Every rookie and player for that matter has something they need to work on...I guess this is Q's project.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Byfield is going to be a stud, every player has gaps, and need improvement. For me, he sometimes overskates the puck when recieving a pass. Also, I think he needs to maybe shoot more when the shot is there for him, he seems to look to pass first.

However, he is such a treat to watch, he will be a dominate player in this league.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Over the weekend the one thing that stood out for me as a slight negative, aside from agreeing that Stratis and Candella were not good in our own end at all. Was that Byfield really seems a little shaky with the puck coming out of the defensive zone. Once he gets across the Red line he seems to play with a ton of confidence and strength.
Every rookie and player for that matter has something they need to work on...I guess this is Q's project.

Kid is a beast! Skates right through players and creates so many odd man rushes. He is so young and to find something he needs to improve on at 16 is really nit picking. Plays vs other teams top lines on most nights. Still making adjustments to the speed of the game and if anything once he composes himself a bit more when he gets the puck he will be on the scoresheet game in game out.

WJ

Reactions: bigtimefan and cub

NA Hockey

Nov 16, 2015
Obviously he is going to dominate and be a top player in the league at 18 and 19 and of course he has things he needs to work on (all players do).

People need to temper expectations just a bit, putting excessive pressure is not going to make him better. There were people predicting 90 points from him this year and now 60 will seem like a disappointment which it shouldn't be (IF he can get to 60) and a spot on World Juniors next year (very very unlikely). He will be a top 10 pick for sure in 18 months , he will be a star in the league, but the over the top build up will only leave you, the fans disappointed, when you should be ecstatic you got him.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
Obviously he is going to dominate and be a top player in the league at 18 and 19 and of course he has things he needs to work on (all players do).

People need to temper expectations just a bit, putting excessive pressure is not going to make him better. There were people predicting 90 points from him this year and now 60 will seem like a disappointment which it shouldn't be (IF he can get to 60) and a spot on World Juniors next year (very very unlikely). He will be a top 10 pick for sure in 18 months , he will be a star in the league, but the over the top build up will only leave you, the fans disappointed, when you should be ecstatic you got him.
He is our promised one , the one to lead us to glory after years of suffering . Let us dream big lol haha

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Kid is a beast! Skates right through players and creates so many odd man rushes. He is so young and to find something he needs to improve on at 16 is really nit picking. Plays vs other teams top lines on most nights. Still making adjustments to the speed of the game and if anything once he composes himself a bit more when he gets the puck he will be on the scoresheet game in game out.

WJ
Of course the kid is a beast. Nobody would suggest otherwise. But this league is first and foremost a development league to get these players ready for the next level (and coaches, and managers). It's not nitpicking to identify areas of weakness. I would be concerned if we couldnt find things for a 16 year old to work on, because it likely would mean they are plateauing and their development is being stifled.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Of course the kid is a beast. Nobody would suggest otherwise. But this league is first and foremost a development league to get these players ready for the next level (and coaches, and managers). It's not nitpicking to identify areas of weakness. I would be concerned if we couldnt find things for a 16 year old to work on, because it likely would mean they are plateauing and their development is being stifled.
When comparing him to most 16 year olds in the OHL it really is being critical when pointing out things he has trouble with. If this is a development league then much could be said about giving him so much responsibility in his first year. Would it be wise to put him on the fourth line? With what your saying then the Sudbury Wolves are not developing properly. I’m not suggesting anything other than observers being picky on his on ice performance. The kid is 16 with tremendous pressure playing top minutes on the PP. first line responsibilities on most nights and top 4 in scoring on a team with many veteran players. Byfield is where he needs to be and anything more we get from him in his first year is a bonus. Best player we have had since Norm Miley, Taylor Pyatt and Mike Fisher.

WJ

Reactions: cub

HockeyPops

Aug 20, 2018
Byfield is where he needs to be
I agree. He is playing the right minutes for him, against a level of competition that is right for him, at this current stage in his development. For most 16 year olds, they should not be put in the situations that he has been. But for him, it is appropriate. If he was playing limited fourth line minutes, he would not be developing as quickly, nor would it be obvious which areas of his game needs work.

You should be measuring Byfield against Byfield's potential. Not against some arbitrary measuring stick that you would use to measure most rookies. It's not about what he's achieved or not achieved. What we are talking about is pushing forward his development, and putting him on a path to achieving more. To take the next step as a player. Do you think his coaches tell him everyday, "Great job Quinton, you have nothing left to learn from us"? Then why should we, as "armchair coaches", be held to this standard?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
good debate, on both sides, has long expectations are realistic, every player has gaps, and most of the players know themselves what they need to work on, some put a lot of time in closing those gaps, and some might not put in the time, and lose out on their development. Byfield has all the right attributes with the size, and the work ethnic, so you know the future looks bright for him. He stands out ahead of lot veterans during games, and you can say most games he is the most noticeable. I think its ok to point out some things he needs to work on as long its fair and respectable. He is a treat to watch and we haven't had a player like this in a long time, with all he has to offer.

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
good debate, on both sides, has long expectations are realistic, every player has gaps, and most of the players know themselves what they need to work on, some put a lot of time in closing those gaps, and some might not put in the time, and lose out on their development. Byfield has all the right attributes with the size, and the work ethnic, so you know the future looks bright for him. He stands out ahead of lot veterans during games, and you can say most games he is the most noticeable. I think its ok to point out some things he needs to work on as long its fair and respectable. He is a treat to watch and we haven't had a player like this in a long time, with all he has to offer.

Only wrinkle in the Byfield debate, which may not be fair to him, is you kind of need him to be ready to lead a team next year because he likely isn't in the OHL still in 2 years. If he goes top 3 like many think he will, he could very well be ready for the NHL in 2021 which makes it tough on Sudbury

Reactions: hockieguy

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Only wrinkle in the Byfield debate, which may not be fair to him, is you kind of need him to be ready to lead a team next year because he likely isn't in the OHL still in 2 years. If he goes top 3 like many think he will, he could very well be ready for the NHL in 2021 which makes it tough on Sudbury
Right. Honestly I’m of two minds on it. I’m not so sure he’ll be ready to play pro in two short years but you never know with a talent like his, as he will likely improve exponentially in the next season. Maybe he’d get the ten games in pro and they’d go from there? Ultimately whatever is best for him but I’m holding out hope we see at least two more seasons.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North

Interesting but I personally think he's quite a way from being "the" dominant junior player next year. I can see him continuing development and being very much better next season and leading the Wolves with '21 being his dominant year. Just my opinion but I think next season is still too soon to end his junior learning.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I agree. He is playing the right minutes for him, against a level of competition that is right for him, at this current stage in his development. For most 16 year olds, they should not be put in the situations that he has been. But for him, it is appropriate. If he was playing limited fourth line minutes, he would not be developing as quickly, nor would it be obvious which areas of his game needs work.

You should be measuring Byfield against Byfield's potential. Not against some arbitrary measuring stick that you would use to measure most rookies. It's not about what he's achieved or not achieved. What we are talking about is pushing forward his development, and putting him on a path to achieving more. To take the next step as a player. Do you think his coaches tell him everyday, "Great job Quinton, you have nothing left to learn from us"? Then why should we, as "armchair coaches", be held to this standard?
Not at all! As I have said QB is where he needs to be considering his talent level, draft position, potential. I’m not disagreeing about his development. I think Sudbury has given him more than I thought they would give him from the get go. He is even starting to kill penalties. For someone to pick on him about his stick handling ability is at this point is ridiculous. His control will develop even more with maturity. The things we need to see develop his decision making, continued defensive development and a stronger forcechek instead of letting up. But then again he’s 16 and is way above most 16 year olds. Heck he’s above most 19 year olds on the team. I don’t disagree I just think some people need to understand the OHL instead of pointing and magnifiujng a game where he needs to control the puck better on his stick. Let’s look at a guy like Carson who can’t stick handle and it’s his fourth year in the league. The speed of the game is one of the most commented thing rookies talk about in their first year. Look forward to QB’s natural maturity to fix anything he his lacking in his game.

WJ

Last edited:

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
As it was for Oshawa with Eric Lindros. For that to happen Byfield will need to score 71 goals next year. Lol. I think QB will be good for 40 goals next season. And three full seasons in the OHL. The fourth year is all dependant on what he does next season and the season after. With expansion in the NHL you never know you could be right. So I guess we should really enjoy him while he is still here.

WJ

cub

Apr 11, 2012
As it was for Oshawa with Eric Lindros. For that to happen Byfield will need to score 71 goals next year. Lol. I think QB will be good for 40 goals next season. And three full seasons in the OHL. The fourth year is all dependant on what he does next season and the season after. With expansion in the NHL you never know you could be right. So I guess we should really enjoy him while he is still here.

WJ

Eric Lindros for me, we haven't seen a player like him in OHL. He was man amongst boys, he was a true power forward, he had size, toughness, and offence. He is only player I can remember sold out the arena each time he came, and their were scalpers outside to sell tickets. lol. He was a huge draw, I haven't seen a player that had his talent at a early age like that.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
Eric Lindros for me, we haven't seen a player like him in OHL. He was man amongst boys, he was a true power forward, he had size, toughness, and offence. He is only player I can remember sold out the arena each time he came, and their were scalpers outside to sell tickets. lol. He was a huge draw, I haven't seen a player that had his talent at a early age like that.

Not taking anything away from Lindros but that whole team was very talented and HUGE! I remember them in their red jerseys skating around in warm up and they were something to see.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
This is true and not even up for debate. One of a kind as a player and in terms of impact and buzz. Even Mcdavid, no matter his talent level, doesn’t come close in terms of buzz and impact. Yes he sold out arenas league wide! I remember the first time he came to Sudbury. We rode him pretty good but I agree, at times it looked like he would kind of let up a bit or he may have really crushed and potentially injured guys. Anyway we had started 0-5-1 and Oshawa was stacked. We beat them 6-3 or something that night. Good old Shawn Rivers was tasked with shadowing him if I recall. Diminuative but great player with heart. Around the time I started never missing a game.

Last edited:

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017

WJ

I hope you're right about a potential year 3, but more and more top 5 picks are making the jump to the NHL immediately after the draft. Obviously if he goes #2 he will 99% be in the NHL, 3-5 probably 50/50 based on recent trends for forwards.

Reactions: WolvesFan

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Yes cubby he was a huge draw but Oshawa had good overall teams those years as well that people wanted to witness. If my memory serves me correctly.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Yes cubby he was a huge draw but Oshawa had good overall teams those years as well that people wanted to witness. If my memory serves me correctly.
It may have helped that they had a good team but I for one remember vividly. It was Lindros, period.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
How has Ruzicka been so far for you guys?

Fantastic. A much needed boost for the offense and is really helping the PP as advertised. I could be wrong but I think he's been our leading scorer since getting here.

Reactions: hockeynorth
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad