Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Question folks:

No easy answer here, but.. once Malik returns, we all know he is going to play. This means we will have extra bodies on the back end. Also to further complicate things is once Wawrow returns from injury.

Always nice to have depth. But generally you only dress 6 dmen per game, maybe 7 if you decide to dress 11 forwards.

Who sits (healthy scratch), who goes? Something will have to happen once Malik comes back. On top of that, we should be adding another vet Dman (Paquette fits the bill). If this happens, again someone will be heading out.

Phillips and Thompson need to be playing and continue to develop. They are nice pieces to build around.

If we stick with Candella as an OA he will be in. Count Malik in as well.

Stratis has looked good lately so he stays in.

Then you have Ross and Serensits. Along with Wawrow.

Tough decisions coming up. Looking forward to seeing what Paps ends up doing here with our defense.

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
Question folks:

No easy answer here, but.. once Malik returns, we all know he is going to play. This means we will have extra bodies on the back end. Also to further complicate things is once Wawrow returns from injury.

Always nice to have depth. But generally you only dress 6 dmen per game, maybe 7 if you decide to dress 11 forwards.

Who sits (healthy scratch), who goes? Something will have to happen once Malik comes back. On top of that, we should be adding another vet Dman (Paquette fits the bill). If this happens, again someone will be heading out.

Phillips and Thompson need to be playing and continue to develop. They are nice pieces to build around.

Tough decisions coming up. Looking forward to seeing what Paps ends up doing here with our defense.

I'd be looking to see what I can get for Ross. I find the opposition has no problem simply skating around him and I don't think I've seen him make one outlet pass on the tape yet. I like the physical game that Serensits brings...another quality that Ross does not seem to bring. Wawrow I'm not sold on yet, need to see a bit more.

With that said I still have Serensits,Ross and Wawrow ahead of Malik, that is unless he has found his game in the off season.
Politics IMO are all that keep Malik in the Top 4

Reactions: howlman

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I'd be looking to see what I can get for Ross. I find the opposition has no problem simply skating around him and I don't think I've seen him make one outlet pass on the tape yet. I like the physical game that Serensits brings...another quality that Ross does not seem to bring. Wawrow I'm not sold on yet, need to see a bit more.

Getting rid of Ross? Man we are getting unhinged here, he is one of our top D, don't agree at all.

I'm been reading alot of comments on here, everyone has their opinions but I shake my head at some lately.

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Getting rid of Ross? Man we are getting unhinged here, he is one of our top D, don't agree at all.

I'm been reading alot of comments on here, everyone has their opinions but I shake my head at some lately.

Yes everyone has their opinions, and WE ARE WOLVES answered my question with his opinion. Not saying I agree, but an interesting point of view.

Lets hear it Cub, who sits (healthy scratch), who goes? Not an easy decision when you break it down

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Yes everyone has their opinions, and WE ARE WOLVES answered my question with his opinion. Not saying I agree, but an interesting point of view.

Lets hear it Cub, who sits (healthy scratch), who goes? Not an easy decision when you break it down

Nobody has to go on Defence, during course of the season they're many injuries in course of the season just like we see with Wawrow.

My guess Malik would have to work his way in lineup being away, chances if he plays well enough to get back, my guess Wawrow and Thompson would sit if we go with 6 D. They would get into the lineup when needed.

Its a good problem to have. We are 8 games in, lots of hockey left, to get rid of Ross just to accommodate a lineup is foolish in my opinion, last year we had so many D that went down we drawing from Rayside Balfour on consisted basis.

WolvesFanSudbury

Oct 8, 2016
it really is a tough decision, I really like Wawrow and would hate to see him go, but if were adding another vet theres simply no room for him. Candella is looking better and better so he stays, Thompson and Phillips cannot go at all as they are young and only improving. Adding paquette means were at 4 with ross , serensits , malik and wawrow who is going. Stratis needs to stay, hes really growing into one of our top guys and that puts us at 5. Id keep malik and ross as 6-7 which means Serensits probably goes

Reactions: howlman

howlman

Mar 9, 2004
Nobody has to go on Defence, during course of the season they're many injuries in course of the season just like we see with Wawrow.

My guess Malik would have to work his way in lineup being away, chances if he plays well enough to get back, my guess Wawrow and Thompson would sit if we go with 6 D. They would get into the lineup when needed.

Its a good problem to have. We are 8 games in, lots of hockey left, to get rid of Ross just to accommodate a lineup is foolish in my opinion, last year we had so many D that went down we drawing from Rayside Balfour on consisted basis.

Good answer. Like I said having depth is always nice. Sitting Thompson as a healthy scratch would be a crying shame. He shouldn't be sitting ever. Politics dictate Malik will be playing right off the hop. And if we add an experienced Dman which will probably happen then yes someone will be heading out.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
What’s the approximate cost of Robertson? Ross or Tabak and 5 or 6 (2nd-4th) picks?

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Good answer. Like I said having depth is always nice. Sitting Thompson as a healthy scratch would be a crying shame. He shouldn't be sitting ever. Politics dictate Malik will be playing right off the hop. And if we add an experienced Dman which will probably happen then yes someone will be heading out.

I don't see no politics with Malik, I get that his brother might be future pick by the Wolves, but it would be based on Malik play. Stillman doesn't play politics when it come to his team, he seems to go what he thinks is best for the team.

I'm guessing that Thompson might sit out on occasion, its a long season it could be battle for a young guy, but he seems pretty good so far, I like his game. It will all work itself out, having Depth at D is the key.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Guarantee if we are still in first at Christmas, we will beef up this team and make a push. :):)

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018

I just see Ross carrying more value than the others in terms of what we can get back via trade., I completely disagree that he is one of our "top D" but I think its easier to fool other teams into thinking they may be getting an eventual Top 2 D man., Watch how often in a game a puck carrier simply walks around him. I noticed it a lot last season but chaulked it up as a Rookie trying to catch up to a faster game....He has shown zero improvement IMO through last season and into the early part of this season.

I see Phillips getting a call on Draft Day this year. Ross I'm afraid will not get the same consideration.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
All our defence make mistakes, its about development, Ross is on the NHL Draft list, so they must see something good in him. Keep in mind he a 2001, and a second year player, you're expectation from him is quite high.

He is a solid defensemen, yes he makes mistakes like the ones you mentioned but they're is a lot upside in his game, he will develop into a fine defensemen

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
All our defence make mistakes, its about development, Ross is on the NHL Draft list, so they must see something good in him. Keep in mind he a 2001, and a second year player, you're expectation from him is quite high.

He is a solid defensemen, yes he makes mistakes like the ones you mentioned but they're is a lot upside in his game, he will develop into a fine defensemen

Perhaps you're right and I hope so... Just would like to see more progression with the amount of icetime hes been given as a rookie and now into his sophomore season.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Question folks:

All know where I stand.

With Beattie, Ribeau, Stewart in the wings and the outside chance of Aucoin along with whoever else we draft and trade for I think one of Wawrow or Ross could be dealt to get the pieces we need this year.

I anticipate O'Bonswin being sent down or released. Others like Gilhula along with Esw being the extra forwards but would not be disappointed if Gilhula was packaged along with one of our D a couple of pickcs and Murray to form a blockbuster trade for Roberston and Paquette.

Go nuts folks. Start the throwing stones!

WJ

Reactions: WolvesFan

WE ARE WOLVES

Sep 10, 2018
All know where I stand.

With Beattie, Ribeau, Stewart in the wings and the outside chance of Aucoin along with whoever else we draft and trade for I think one of Wawrow or Ross could be dealt to get the pieces we need this year.

I anticipate O'Bonswin being sent down or released. Others like Gilhula along with Esw being the extra forwards but would not be disappointed if Gilhula was packaged along with one of our D a couple of pickcs and Murray to form a blockbuster trade for Roberston and Paquette.

WJ
Agree on all accounts...Except

Murray

Reactions: WolvesFan

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010

Couldn't of said it any better myself.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
All know where I stand.

WJ

It would be entertaining; but Paquette plus Robertson minus Ross & Murray & picks; plus, player & picks ... it would take a spending spree like Kingston last season just to reach the conference final.
Byfield, Levin, Murray, Bulitka, Hutcheson, Niz, are all back next year with six D a year older ... playoff experience this season, all-in next

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
It would be entertaining; but Paquette plus Robertson minus Ross & Murray & picks; plus, player & picks ... it would take a spending spree like Kingston last season just to reach the conference final.
Byfield, Levin, Murray, Bulitka, Hutcheson, Niz, are all back next year with six D a year older ... playoff experience this season, all-in next
I agree with Dirty, I might add though that while the prospects we have are nice, what they will be next year definitely won't be able to replace what Murray/Ross will be next year (1C, top 2 D)

Reactions: Lycanthrope

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Agreed. Hutcheson has looked really good so far this year. They moved him to Byfield and Levin's line last game and they played well together. Would like to see them try it another game and see how it goes.
Nice to have options for Stillman. That’s the nice thing about talent through the lineup.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
it really is a tough decision, I really like Wawrow and would hate to see him go, but if were adding another vet theres simply no room for him. Candella is looking better and better so he stays, Thompson and Phillips cannot go at all as they are young and only improving. Adding paquette means were at 4 with ross , serensits , malik and wawrow who is going. Stratis needs to stay, hes really growing into one of our top guys and that puts us at 5. Id keep malik and ross as 6-7 which means Serensits probably goes
Adding Paquette? You guys know something I don’t or is it wishful thinking? What team does he play on?

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Guarantee if we are still in first at Christmas, we will beef up this team and make a push. :):)
Makes sense Cub as there are no Sault Ste Marie type team in the East this year. There are some good teams but no clear cult favourite. Seems like a lot of parody. Definitely a wait and see thing as you’ve said.

Reactions: cub
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad