Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
I agree on most points, but I thought the twins were pretty solid today. They worked their asses off in the defensive zone, were huge on the PK, and how about that chance Darian created for himself from nothing. We all know they aren't top 6 forwards, but they still do alot for this team.

I think the best way I can analyze their game today is that they had nothing to do with our 2 goals, and neither did they do much to give us a chance to add to those....But they were a big part of the reason we gave up 0 tonight. The debate about whether that is the kind of value you'd want from OA players is valid, but I certainly think they play a valuable role for this team.

Agree. The top six would be nowhere near as effective if the twins were not there to disrupt the play of other teams top lines.
And I agree there are/were better OA available, particularly D that can improve the wolves now. The question is, would the cost in picks and lost opportunity for six D to prove they are the guys be worth it

The Pilon /Bulitka line was a shut down line matched against their top line. Since Kingston's top scorer was held off the score board I would say that line was very effective. Darian played great tonight. Unfortunately, Drake appears to be battling a tough injury as he left the game early. Scoring always seems to be the only measure of success with our forwards and that shouldn't always be the case. Our top point getter is Levin and he frustrates me game after game. In fact he can single handedly destroy the power play by trying to skate through two, or three guys. He is now in his 4th year in the league. Scoring a highlight reel goal every now and then, but consistently losing the puck, passing to no one, etc just doesn't do it for me. I will say I appreciate the effort Niz has been putting out lately. He has been hustling more and trying to get back when mistakes are made . I agree on adding RW forward and would love to add stay at home defensemen that can make a good breakout pass. Both of which I am sure are in demand for most teams.
I’m not saying they aren’t valuable, I just think that we may be better off with other players in their positions. I guess you could just say I’ve stopped fanboying over them, and see them as more of a short term vs long term thing now. Good point about the shutdown aspect though with Bulitkas line, they were seriously effective. That had been a line I’d been dying to see. We’ll see what happens, I think we need to decide our direction though (go for a long run this year or gear up for next).

The catch with adding a D is that our top 6 is so young that you can see their potential for next season. If we add someone we lose Thompson, or Phillips, or Serentis, or Ross, as well as Wawrow. I’d say that could be more costly in the long run.

I’m kind of disappointed Tabak has been scratched as he’s been showing significant improvement this season.

Yes, levin is still frustrating but nice to see Niz working as you said.

Anyone else not realize that Phillips isn’t draft eligible until next season?

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
What happened to Levin?
Nothing as far as I know? He was one of the better forwards this weekend.

He's a high risk high reward player. Honestly if a lot of people who take blinders off they'd see others such as Byfield and Nizkhnikov making just as many giveaways. Players who constantly have the puck on their stick end up with more giveaways.

Levin has come a long way and is a strong player in both the offensive and defensive zone. His play in the neutral zone leaves a lot to be desired however.

The thing I appreciate about Levin is his effort level, He's always willing to go into traffic to win puck battles, he plays fairly physical given his size. If Blake Murray could put in the same effort level, we'd have a hell of a player on our hands.

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
Nothing as far as I know? He was one of the better forwards this weekend.

He's a high risk high reward player. Honestly if a lot of people who take blinders off they'd see others such as Byfield and Nizkhnikov making just as many giveaways. Players who constantly have the puck on their stick end up with more giveaways.

Levin has come a long way and is a strong player in both the offensive and defensive zone. His play in the neutral zone leaves a lot to be desired however.

The thing I appreciate about Levin is his effort level, He's always willing to go into traffic to win puck battles, he plays fairly physical given his size. If Blake Murray could put in the same effort level, we'd have a hell of a player on our hands.
OHLinsider had Levin sent home to North York on his titter. I usually take what he says with a grin of salt. Thanks for the update scooter.

WaW

Armchair Assistant Coffee Gofer for the GM
Mar 18, 2017
OHLinsider had Levin sent home to North York on his titter. I usually take what he says with a grin of salt. Thanks for the update scooter.

That happened a few weeks ago on the 3 game road trip. He had to go home after the Niagara game to sort out issues with his visa before he could join the team in Erie.

Reactions: bobber

bobber

Jan 21, 2013
Kitchener Ontario
That happened a few weeks ago on the 3 game road trip. He had to go home after the Niagara game to sort out issues with his visa before he could join the team in Erie.
That makes sense. Guess OHLinsider was trying to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear again. I would love to see the Wolves do well this season. They deserve a shot just for the community.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015

Levin had to take care of some visa issues prior to the Wolves game in Erie two weeks ago. He was able to play that game in Erie

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Levin is a 4th year player in the OHL..you don't drive through players down the middle on a power play. That is just dumb hockey. He needs serious coaching.

Reactions: Wolfpak

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
I’m not saying they aren’t valuable, I just think that we may be better off with other players in their positions. I guess you could just say I’ve stopped fanboying over them, and see them as more of a short term vs long term thing now. Good point about the shutdown aspect though with Bulitkas line, they were seriously effective. That had been a line I’d been dying to see. We’ll see what happens, I think we need to decide our direction though (go for a long run this year or gear up for next).

The catch with adding a D is that our top 6 is so young that you can see their potential for next season. If we add someone we lose Thompson, or Phillips, or Serentis, or Ross, as well as Wawrow. I’d say that could be more costly in the long run.

I’m kind of disappointed Tabak has been scratched as he’s been showing significant improvement this season.

Yes, levin is still frustrating but nice to see Niz working as you said.

Anyone else not realize that Phillips isn’t draft eligible until next season?

"guess you could just say I’ve stopped fanboying over them"

I agree with you about this..the organization can turn people off players when they are over pimping them. Just let the guys play and stop trying to convince people about what players are.

HockeyHell

Jul 11, 2017
Hopefully we stop focusing on highlights and start fixing consistent problems. That is how you build winning teams

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Levin is a 4th year player in the OHL..you don't drive through players down the middle on a power play. That is just dumb hockey. He needs serious coaching.
Have to agree. Watched him cough the puck up repeatedly on the same shift. Very frustrating. Pilon did play a very hard game and was very effective defensively. The work ethic is off the charts.
Ukko was a brick wall, had he been mediocre,the result could well have been different. Kind of a boring game, one in which your’e happy to grab the two points. A successful weekend, it will be interesting to see how they measure up on their roadie through the East division. Also, anyone else notice the play of Mconville? I liked him, physical and not without skill.

Last edited:

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Hearing some very negative stuff, hoping it is just rumour.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
Nothing that can be posted on the threads.
Is the issue with Levin himself? Off ice perhaps? Not sure what the point of mentioning something like that and then leaving it at that is, other than maybe I know something you don’t.
Obviously if you know about it more than one poster does so it’s not like it top secret.

If there’s a player(s) on the team that’s causing issues he or they have to go, period.

Reactions: Packman

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
If and when it becomes fact it will be posted,until then I am not going their. As I stated it was a rumor was just feeling out if anyone else heard anything. I don't believe in posting rumor's but this was very odd.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
If and when it becomes fact it will be posted,until then I am not going their. As I stated it was a rumor was just feeling out if anyone else heard anything. I don't believe in posting rumor's but this was very odd.
Okay fair enough. Is the rumour confined to Levin or does it involve other players?

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018

Lol, what a load of BS.

MGOBlue

Aug 27, 2018
What makes you think so?

The fact that his original comment was in response to a report about Levin being sent home that happened on *October 5th*.. Now saying he is hearing negative things around it when all he was doing was getting a VISA issue fixed at the time. Believe he has some sort of inside info if you want... lol.

Last edited:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Is the issue with Levin himself? Off ice perhaps? Not sure what the point of mentioning something like that and then leaving it at that is, other than maybe I know something you don’t.
Obviously if you know about it more than one poster does so it’s not like it top secret.

If there’s a player(s) on the team that’s causing issues he or they have to go, period.

The fact that his original comment was in response to a report about Levin being sent home that happened on *October 5th*.. Now saying he is hearing negative things around it when all he was doing was getting a VISA issue fixed at the time. Believe he has some sort of inside info if you want... lol.

Guys, I've been shared the rumour by two other posters in here as well. Credible ones to boot. Its an issue specific to Levin that I would share with you if I heard it myself but as its third hand (minimum) I don't want to share it. It doesn't seem right to tear down a player over something that could easily be fabricated by one negative fan and just spread like wildfire. It was odd to say anything though without sharing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad