Sudbury Wolves 2018-19 Season Thread (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I like the Pilons to stick around too however we need a deeper roster with quality players next year if we want to make a long run since that’s what everyone is saying next year is the year. I think we need to maximize the opportunity we have to get another quality player here or high pick it two. Sudbury just isn’t deep enough next year. We need a goalie, another scoring forward or two and quarterback on the back end. I’m willing to deal this year to get better next year. We can’t compete with Niagara or Ottawa especially after today.

WJ

Reactions: hockeynorth

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
As much as i would like Sudbury to be competitive and make a first round appearance I think it would be best to deal off any possible assets we have to make a push for next year. We just can't compete with that kind of depth from Niagara and what Ottawa will eventually do. Heck even Mississauga can stand pat and play out like they are and be in the thick with the scoring talent they have in Tippett and McLeod. Then you can't forget Oshawa who will make a push as well. The Petes have picks and can add. So Sudbury is in tough in the East all of a sudden. They can't deal Ukko as he is a first year import. So I think dealing the Pilon's who can be important for any team in the playoffs can give us a valuable player for next season when they won't be here anyway. Ottawa has two OA spots available. Quinn and a pick would be a solid return for them. Niagara has set the bar in trades and should be interesting to see how everyone else now responds.

WJ
I would have to believe that the fan base is sick and tired of hearing this rebuild crap as it has been going on for the last 6 years. All teams are getting stronger as is Sudbury, are we ever going to win a Memorial Cup? probably not. Work with what you have, make the right moves, take a few gambles and that's all we can hope for. Let the pieces fall will they will.

Reactions: Lycanthrope

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
I like the Pilons to stick around too however we need a deeper roster with quality players next year if we want to make a long run since that’s what everyone is saying next year is the year. I think we need to maximize the opportunity we have to get another quality player here or high pick it two. Sudbury just isn’t deep enough next year. We need a goalie, another scoring forward or two and quarterback on the back end. I’m willing to deal this year to get better next year. We can’t compete with Niagara or Ottawa especially after today.

WJ

You're not getting a starting goalie, a scoring forward or defensive QBs for the Pilons. We're already dressing defencemen up front on a regular basis. So you're not adding future roster'ed to the ice surface if you move the Pilon's for only picks.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
I never said that’s what we’d get from dealing the Pilons but what we need for next year. So sell what we can to get what we need next year. Dealing the Pilons will get a little piece. Never once did I say we will fill all those holes. Man read carefully.

WJ

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
Should Wolves think about moving 99 import goalie? Will be tough to get by Ottawa, Osh, and now Niagara. Mcgrath gets Sud. into the playoffs, and get younger to support strong 01 and 02 group with goalie for the future. Fans do not seem to be considering possible movement of imports, especially the new goalies this year.

Reactions: hockeynorth

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
As much as i would like Sudbury to be competitive and make a first round appearance I think it would be best to deal off any possible assets we have to make a push for next year. We just can't compete with that kind of depth from Niagara and what Ottawa will eventually do. Heck even Mississauga can stand pat and play out like they are and be in the thick with the scoring talent they have in Tippett and McLeod. Then you can't forget Oshawa who will make a push as well. The Petes have picks and can add. So Sudbury is in tough in the East all of a sudden. They can't deal Ukko as he is a first year import. So I think dealing the Pilon's who can be important for any team in the playoffs can give us a valuable player for next season when they won't be here anyway. Ottawa has two OA spots available. Quinn and a pick would be a solid return for them. Niagara has set the bar in trades and should be interesting to see how everyone else now responds.

WJ

WJ

Should Wolves think about moving 99 import goalie? Will be tough to get by Ottawa, Osh, and now Niagara. Mcgrath gets Sud. into the playoffs, and get younger to support strong 01 and 02 group with goalie for the future. Fans do not seem to be considering possible movement of imports, especially the new goalies this year.
I say we should move Ukko. I love him, I love what we’ve built but if the rumour of 8 2nds plus a young roster player for DiPietro are true we should get at least half that which could really position us well for next season which really is the year for us. I’d sell either Candella or the twins too. I agree with WJ on this one, though this is a big 180 in his point of view lol. I just think you have to plan for next year and not be blinded by this seasons early success. McGrath can get us to the playoffs. I definetly won’t be mad if we stand pat either mind you.

justawolfan

Timbertype
Sep 12, 2017
Frozen North
I say we should move Ukko. I love him, I love what we’ve built but if the rumour of 8 2nds plus a young roster player for DiPietro are true we should get at least half that which could really position us well for next season which really is the year for us. I’d sell either Candella or the twins too. I agree with WJ on this one, though this is a big 180 in his point of view lol. I just think you have to plan for next year and not be blinded by this seasons early success. McGrath can get us to the playoffs. I definetly won’t be mad if we stand pat either mind you.

What are the chances that UPL doesn't move up to Rochester next season? We're making that assumption which makes sense but they currently have 2 26 year old guys there so not really long-in-the-tooth. Are there guarantees in place that he's definitely moving?

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
We could lose UPL this year to Rochester I believe as he is a signed euro player can anyone shed some light on that? Can we even trade him? is their a window like first round pics? Would like to hear from Bayowolf as he would know for sure. Anyone have any insight on that?

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
We could lose UPL this year to Rochester I believe as he is a signed euro player can anyone shed some light on that? Can we even trade him? is their a window like first round pics? Would like to hear from Bayowolf as he would know for sure. Anyone have any insight on that?
Can't call up anyone once they are in the CHL as it is part of the NHL - CHL agreement.

I didn’t think you can deal a first year import. Can anyone clarify that.

WJ
There is now a window, I believe sometime around Christmas where we can, its been said many times here.

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
If it’s been said in here many times you surely don’t have a concrete answer to my question. Maybe somebody else can clarify the window of when first year imports can be traded. It seems someone is a bit grumpy today.

WJ

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
If it’s been said in here many times you surely don’t have a concrete answer to my question. Maybe somebody else can clarify the window of when first year imports can be traded. It seems someone is a bit grumpy today.

WJ
Lol no mate, I know it because I've asked it several times myself and I've been given flak for it. I've posed the question in other threads as well.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
I believe there was a window that could be traded sometime in December.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

WJ
Agree except for me Missy are smoke and mirrors after Tippet and Mcleod. Maybe throw in their captain whose name escapes me at the moment. I still think they will deeply regret not trading these guys away, just look at their draft cupboard, it’s pathetic. For me it’s not worth a round or two to rebuild for the next several. I watch all the teams. Don’t really see Petes or even Oshawa at this point though I like them better than the Petes. Clear favourites are Niagara (especially now) and obviously Ottawa (who will also regret not upgrading their goaltending if they dont). The Wolves in my mind have to at least make the playoffs. I’ve heard this from those close to the club. For me it’s a mandate. You can’t generate any excitement in the team missing year after year. I don’t believe not going for it all automatically means you can’t have any success in the playoffs. Even a round or even two. If the Wolves tinker and or sell (which I’m not adverse to), I would really hope they would ensure they are at least in a position to give us some playoff hockey. Missing the playoffs especially with a star goalie makes no sense to me. Tough decisions.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011
I believe the real interesting test is upcoming when players take part in the world Juniors, specifically how the Wolves will do with out their goalie. There are two things I have learned in the game:

1. Great goalies steal games that otherwise would be lost.
2. Great goalies make a mediocre defense look better than they really are.

The wolves have both.
Anyone have any idea how long as in from when to when we can expect to lose Ukko? I know the dates of the tourney are from Dec 26th to Jan 5 or 6th but I’m sure they leave for camp earlier. Anyone know? I’m trying to see how many and which games the Wolves will play without him.

Lycanthrope

Dec 3, 2011

WJ
I don’t think we could before today anyway (especially in a seven game series).

LR8

Mar 8, 2018
From the London Free Press in June when Import Goalies were brought back;

MOVING CLAUSE: The CHL has taken another step to make its league more appealing to European players. They have dropped a rule stating first-year imports could not be traded until the following season.
“We’ve said, ‘come and try it,’” Branch said, “and by mid-December, there will be a period of time that player could be traded if he’s not happy. But he’s got to be registered and playing for a CHL team for that to happen.”

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Anyone have any idea how long as in from when to when we can expect to lose Ukko? I know the dates of the tourney are from Dec 26th to Jan 5 or 6th but I’m sure they leave for camp earlier. Anyone know? I’m trying to see how many and which games the Wolves will play without him.
Apparently he leaves for Finland Dec 1ST

Wolfman Jack

Jan 19, 2009
Wow that’s at least 6 weeks. Like a long term injury. Haven’t looked but how many games do we play without him?

WJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad