Sudbury Wolves 2016-17 Season Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
IMO BB would want his own coaching staff, it all depends if ownership stays clear or gives him the ok to make the move.

It might also depend on $; any one know how long Matsos & Berehowsky are under contract?

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
Agreed on Schmalz... potential.. wasted.

What I found interesting was the Barclay comments in the SS. In terms of discussing coaching, he side-stepped it to say the focus is strictly on the draft at this time. To me, that's not a ringing endorsement and states via omission that change could be coming... I can hope can't I?

Yes very interesting. Makes me wonder though why the coach is talking about "next year" as much as he does. Should be be an interesting off season.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Yes very interesting. Makes me wonder though why the coach is talking about "next year" as much as he does. Should be be an interesting off season.

I have been hearing that everything is very hush hush right now, hard to get anything out of anyone, that is quite odd. Could something big be happening? or about to happen?

Lanny

May 9, 2012
For what it is worth, the Sudbury Star is hinting that the Wolves may take a player that is not willing to report. They feel the Wolves would get a handsome reward in picks for that players return if they were to trade that player. They would then trade for a player/position in need with those picks. Lots of holes in that theory. Most trades are done in late August or September for players who do not report and they have to hope someone is willing to take that player and give the Wolves what they want.
Big gamble, so we will have to wait and see what unfolds.

djscooter

Apr 19, 2005
For what it is worth, the Sudbury Star is hinting that the Wolves may take a player that is not willing to report. They feel the Wolves would get a handsome reward in picks for that players return if they were to trade that player. They would then trade for a player/position in need with those picks. Lots of holes in that theory. Most trades are done in late August or September for players who do not report and they have to hope someone is willing to take that player and give the Wolves what they want.

Normally, I'd be in favor of a move like this. However, If you're trying to build a team around Levin, Sokolov and Lyszczarczyk, you'd be completely shooting yourself in the foot by not further adding to the roster around that age group.

Petes

Jun 23, 2014

You can only trade defected players that don't report for picks... So it would have to be a two part trade to actually get players back.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
Normally, I'd be in favor of a move like this. However, If you're trying to build a team around Levin, Sokolov and Lyszczarczyk, you'd be completely shooting yourself in the foot by not further adding to the roster around that age group.

I agree, being a strong draft, should get a solid pick at #2. it tells you a lot of our organization that some elite players don't want to come here.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010

The wolves won't do it. To risky and their is no need for such a move. They will make a solid choice with their 1st pick. Ive always thought BB was running his own show(perhaps to a point) and B.S. has stated that. Curious to see if he will make a coaching change.

Furthermore, some think BB living down south is not a good thing. As he has stated he's watched the northern kids quite a bit. He will be judged on his draft choices, the ability to trade, and sign free agents. Stay tuned :popcorn:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
I agree, being a strong draft, should get a solid pick at #2. it tells you a lot of our organization that some elite players don't want to come here.

A strong draft that is deep with little gap in talent to choose from between most of the top 40 is a good thing for the wolves holding Windsor's 2nd draft pick.
Where did you hear or see elite players don't want to come to Sudbury? (for any other reason than its far from home; or, it's not London...that applies to 2/3 teams). From everything I've read, it's only US players that are committing to US-NTDP before the draft even occurs. Two evaluators went as far as stating on the 2016 ohl draft form that recruitment won't be an issue for Sudbury.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
The wolves won't do it. To risky and their is no need for such a move. They will make a solid choice with their 1st pick. Ive always thought BB was running his own show(perhaps to a point) and B.S. has stated that. Curious to see if he will make a coaching change.

Furthermore, some think BB living down south is not a good thing. As he has stated he's watched the northern kids quite a bit. He will be judged on his draft choices, the ability to trade, and sign free agents. Stay tuned :popcorn:

I agree with you that the Wolves do not do it. My original post was in reference to a question about what may happen in June with the story from the SS.
I believe in August we may have a few frames announced with either Timpano or Bowman leaving as well as Schmalz. Solid players for the back end and the import draft will help out there as well. I believe they are going for a forward in the OHL draft. Never know, I have been wrong many times before.lol

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
I agree with you that the Wolves do not do it. My original post was in reference to a question about what may happen in June with the story from the SS.
I believe in August we may have a few frames announced with either Timpano or Bowman leaving as well as Schmalz. Solid players for the back end and the import draft will help out there as well. I believe they are going for a forward in the OHL draft. Never know, I have been wrong many times before.lol

Agree with you on those players being moved Lanny. Schmalz Timpano and perhaps Cap. They need a change of scenery. I think the back end is a priority!

I can't wait to see what BB does with this draft next week.

Last edited:

Lanny

May 9, 2012
Agree with you on those players being moved Lanny. Schmalz Timpano and perhaps Cap. They need a change of scenery. I think the back end is a priority!

I can't wait to see what BB does with this draft next week.

Thought about Capo. But if Foligno takes over (rumour) all Italians are safe. I have nothing against or for them, but if I remember correctly, Mike made a few trades for some. Always entertaining and hard working. Just a thought.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
A strong draft that is deep with little gap in talent to choose from between most of the top 40 is a good thing for the wolves holding Windsor's 2nd draft pick.
Where did you hear or see elite players don't want to come to Sudbury? (for any other reason than its far from home; or, it's not London...that applies to 2/3 teams). From everything I've read, it's only US players that are committing to US-NTDP before the draft even occurs. Two evaluators went as far as stating on the 2016 ohl draft form that recruitment won't be an issue for Sudbury.

Last year, Vilardi for one. I was commenting to the SS article, where BB was commenting on his options if player doesn't want to come, and would get compensation. If everybody was breaking through the door to come to Sudbury, BB wouldn't make that comment.

Last edited by a moderator:

dirty12

Mar 6, 2015
Last year, Vilardi for one. I was commenting to the SS article, where BB was commenting on his options if player doesn't want to come, and would get compensation. If everybody was breaking through the door to come to Sudbury, BB wouldn't make that comment.

Ok. We interpreted that article differently. I took it as speculation on Giffens part, mostly to fill space because he could get nothing out of Branch and Burgess.

Lanny

May 9, 2012
For what is worth, I spent the weekend with x-NHL,OHL players and some had coaching experiences. The majority feel Matsos is the real deal. They just felt he was dealt a bad hand. We had lengthy discussion over on ice discipline (not fighting) and Matsos lack of handling it correctly. Most felt once the older guys are weeded out, he will do a good job. Not sure I agreed with everything they said.
Did ask if they had heard if the Wolves were sold to a prominent hockey person and or family and some actually smiled. None of them had any positive thoughts on the current ownership. Most felt it was a time for a change. Can only wait and hope!!

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
For what is worth, I spent the weekend with x-NHL,OHL players and some had coaching experiences. The majority feel Matsos is the real deal. They just felt he was dealt a bad hand. We had lengthy discussion over on ice discipline (not fighting) and Matsos lack of handling it correctly. Most felt once the older guys are weeded out, he will do a good job. Not sure I agreed with everything they said.
Did ask if they had heard if the Wolves were sold to a prominent hockey person and or family and some actually smiled. None of them had any positive thoughts on the current ownership. Most felt it was a time for a change. Can only wait and hope!!

Did you think to ask their opinions on the power play, no systems, number of short handed goals, lack of player development, and the worst coaching records over the last 2 years? Oh, and how many games they actually attended. Yes you hit it right on the head, for what its worth.

cobra9850

Apr 23, 2014
embarrassment

Listening to North Bay Battalion vs Peterborough Petes game and during the intermission Battalion commentators are mocking the Wolves organization as the worst in the O.H.L. They are absolutely correct, that we are the laughingstock of the O.H.L.We are the measuring stick of ineptitude in the league. What must be going through prospective players and parents minds prior to the draft next Saturday .Matsos is way out of his league, in the coaching department. He had no response whether through systems ,motivation or direction. He has to be relieved of his duties despite being a " nice guy". Burgess must take the inevitable big payday that is coming his way, and exit if he has any mercy for the Wolves fans. He has to take his gigantic ego out of this decision and face facts. Under his ownership the Wolves have been a colossal failure, and this will only be changed with him totally out of the picture.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Listening to North Bay Battalion vs Peterborough Petes game and during the intermission Battalion commentators are mocking the Wolves organization as the worst in the O.H.L. They are absolutely correct, that we are the laughingstock of the O.H.L.We are the measuring stick of ineptitude in the league. What must be going through prospective players and parents minds prior to the draft next Saturday .Matsos is way out of his league, in the coaching department. He had no response whether through systems ,motivation or direction. He has to be relieved of his duties despite being a " nice guy". Burgess must take the inevitable big payday that is coming his way, and exit if he has any mercy for the Wolves fans. He has to take his gigantic ego out of this decision and face facts. Under his ownership the Wolves have been a colossal failure, and this will only be changed with him totally out of the picture.

This is what happens when a cancer is aloud to spread, blame the commisioner for not stepping in when CB was drafted in the third round. Consider what is happening as payback. Burgess is the undertaker and it will not end anytime soon, sadly enough.

cub

Apr 11, 2012
This is what happens when a cancer is aloud to spread, blame the commisioner for not stepping in when CB was drafted in the third round. Consider what is happening as payback. Burgess is the undertaker and it will not end anytime soon, sadly enough.

I agree Dave Branch is at fault having a blind eye what was happening in Sudbury, now the hugh problem with Flint. Kind of ironic we hire BB later on, not sure if connection or a favour MB did for Dave Branch. According to many BB has merit for his position, we will see what he does this upcoming draft and year.

Until we have new ownership, nothing will change.

billoink

Nov 18, 2013
Looks like it is down to 2 players for the draft on Saturday. With their first pick the Wolves select?? Nizhnikov or Lalonde. I would like to see them take the best forward in the draft Nizhnikov who would be fun to watch develop along with Levin. There will still be a few good defencemen available with our second pick, although it is late. We maybe should go with a flyer here like Wilde or one of the other American kids who are supposedly committed. Who knows, with proper coaching in place they could report at sometime down the road. The second through four is the most important part of the draft as ratings are all over the place. This is where we hope to see Branch pull his magic. I am fully expecting him to go with a flyer with a pick in the first 4 rounds just how early is the question. He may choose to move some picks to acquire an earlier second and try to land Moskal or Giroux. This up coming draft is by far the most interesting in the last few years when you take into consideration the American kids who claim to be committed and how wide open the players are rated in the first two rounds. All eyes will be on Barclay as he is about to step up to the plate, maybe he can land us a couple of Subban type steals.

Flyer000

Apr 5, 2016
Key phrase "proper coaching". I have read many comments, comparing coaches from the past. Try comparing 2015-2016 team to teams that were in the same situation with young players. Hamilton, Saginaw, Guelph, Oshawa with younger rosters playing consistently with 99's and 98's . These organizations played and developed the youth for the future. Matsos played the top 99 (sometimes when he didn't deserve the ice), the other two 99's sparingly until December. Should have been integrating AP's throughout the season. Carried two players that seldom saw the ice, should they have been there at all?? That is how you develop for the future?? Big changes need to happen, from the top down.

I Loveallsports

Apr 13, 2010
Well looks like GB lost his job in steel town. Wonder what the wolves have planned....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad