Post-Game Talk: Suck it Buffalo. Wild beat Oil 2-1.

McOvechking

Apr 28, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
Heres a key difference. Eberle INTENDED to make that pass.

Yak screwed up fanning on a pass to the corner and left the puck there. A goat play to be sure but it was a miscue.

So of the two I'd take the one that was at least a mistake.

That said yak played very well the rest of the game and was the Oilers most dangerous forward on the night.

My favourite thing of that game was after Yakupov's gaffe, Nelson didn't say anything to him on the bench. He knew Yak knew he messed up, and he didn't have to tell him. He didn't bench him, either. He let Yakupov go out there and try to make up for it - and did he ever try.

Much better coaching approach than Eakins.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Not yet as it should be. The team is still a turd, it's a bit more of a shinier turd with Nelson at the helm but a turd nonetheless.

I think the Oilers are going to put the full court press on Babcock in the offseason so while Nelson will certainly be a candidate, I think the Oilers will search greener pastures first and see where that leads them.

I do like Nelson though but if there's even the slightest chance that Babcock will show interest, the Oilers need to be all over that.
Yeah, I agree the team is still a turd. I just can't help but notice the night and day difference in this team since Nelson took over on his own. The team is fun to watch again.

I acknowledge that the reason could be as simple as Eakins was so awful and in over his head that anybody else by comparison looks like Scotty Bowman.

What I'd hate to see though is the idiot GM gamble on some other guy only to find out he isn't a good fit or doesn't come as advertised and in the process throw away a guy that seems to have some impact on the players on this team.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Didn't Ebs just not skate at all on that play? Just sat back and hoped someone else would do the work. That's pretty normal for our young wingers. He should watch some Datsyuk videos. When Datsyuk loses the puck he works his butt off to try to get whoever took it back and keeps going at them all night to try to embarrass them. Yeah...I just talked about Datsyuk and Ebs at the same time...I know.

Ah. That is possible, I did not really consider it. I just found it odd to see the difference between him and Ference. I just took a look and it was in the beginning of his shift so it was not that.

Anyway, I just saw the 3rd period and it was actually really fun. Lander looked really good (all game or just in the 3rd?).

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
My favourite thing of that game was after Yakupov's gaffe, Nelson didn't say anything to him on the bench. He knew Yak knew he messed up, and he didn't have to tell him. He didn't bench him, either. He let Yakupov go out there and try to make up for it - and did he ever try.

Amen and exactly.

Textbook how to handle Yak. Let the kid recover and play well instead of benching, scratching and ******** on him.

I'm sure Yak is noticing the difference as well. Remenda commented on it as well.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I woke up this morning and saw the 2-1 Wild win and shook my head. What do we have to do???

We lose a franchise record 12th straight loss in regulation and are only behind you by TWO points! You guys are tough to beat. :laugh:

See The Nuge's signature in the post below yours. ;)

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Ah. That is possible, I did not really consider it. I just found it odd to see the difference between him and Ference. I just took a look and it was in the beginning of his shift so it was not that.

Anyway, I just saw the 3rd period and it was actually really fun. Lander looked really good (all game or just in the 3rd?).

I just watched it again, Ebs does actually skate a bit, but seemed kind of half-arsed. And the pass itself...talk about a lazy play, lol, just a no look backhand pass to a general area of where he thinks a guy will get it. It's right after the giveaway where Ebs just takes himself out of the play, he sees the pass deflect but coasts just a bit too long before starting to move his legs. He notices Ference is working a lot harder to come back and it looks like Ebs just stops skating completely at that point. Must be fun for Nelson to get these youngins to play with intensity late in games when the season was done in Nov.

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003
Amen and exactly.

Textbook how to handle Yak. Let the kid recover and play well instead of benching, scratching and ******** on him.

I'm sure Yak is noticing the difference as well. Remenda commented on it as well.

I agree. Nelson handled that much better than Eakins. Yak finally has a coach that won't bench him instantly for a mistake or when late in a game. At a certain point the dam is going to burst for Yak and he'll be scoring in bunches.

I just hope he doesn't beat himself up too much about last game. He shouldn't have gone in front of the net, but how often does the puck bounce like that? And the penalty call at the end was just atrocious. He did everything he could do to not run into DD when racing for a loose puck.

He played a great game last night overall. If DD had had an Oilers DD game, Yak probably racks up 2-3 points.

When(if) Hall is back I too would like to see this top 6.

Pouliot - RNH - Eberle
Hall - Roy - Yak

Approved Variety

Nov 14, 2010

Agree 100%

McLotto 97

Believe in 13.5%
Mar 14, 2011
Edmonton
Nelson would need an interview with the Oilers after coaching 50 games for them?

Maybe not an interview per se but taking the team to a 18-15-5 should not be enough to gift him the job. Keep all options open, if he is the best after all other coaches are interviewed fine...

Now if he goes 25-9-4 then that is a different story. :handclap:

Rafters

Aug 10, 2003
Medicine Hat
Visit site
Has Eberle always been that slow? Ference blew by him like nothing in trying to catch Coyle. I know he is not a speedy player but I thought he was faster than that.

edit: On the second goal I mean.

edit 2: Ference had a better angle though so it could have been that.

Eberle can skate fast on offense but so slow on back checking.....if we ever see the chips in jerseys it will fascinating to find out which guys skate really hard both ways....it sure seems that Eberle can fly when there is an offensive chance, but his feet can't move on a backcheck

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Perfect scenario and outcome. Play well, improve but still lose to get a top 2 draft pick. Win the odd game or two but keep ahead in the tank.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Maybe not an interview per se but taking the team to a 18-15-5 should not be enough to gift him the job. Keep all options open, if he is the best after all other coaches are interviewed fine...

If Nelson can raise the collective IQ level of the team where they make logical and great plays then he is worth his weight in gold. If not then ship out the players who never seem to grow and replace them with ones with more potential and skill. It doesn't matter who the coach is if the players never take it upon themselves to improve.

McDeathbyCheerios*

Perfect scenario and outcome. Play well, improve but still lose to get a top 2 draft pick. Win the odd game or two but keep ahead in the tank.
Unless we get dead last, which isn't possible at this point with how the other teams have played, we aren't guaranteed a top 2 pick. More of a chance of anyone else winning the Lottery then the bottom 2

McGoMcD

Aug 14, 2005
Edmonton, AB

I don't think he should have a interview regardless. Either he does well enough, which he has so far, that he gets the job or they replace him with some one else. After 50 games what exaclty is the point of a interview?

Any way, so far I think he gets the job, but lets see how the rest of the year goes.

Tyrolean

Feb 1, 2004
Tomorrow is the NHL version of the Battle of Kursk, the epic WWII Russian front tank battle. Someone has to win though.

They should have made a movie about the biggest tank battle in history, long ago but since there was no American involvement, you won't see it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
They should have made a movie about the biggest tank battle in history, long ago but since there was no American involvement, you won't see it.

Cool, I guess Americans are the only ones with movie camera's? It's nice of them to let other countries use camera's to watch ice hockey though don'tcha think?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad