TV: Succession (HBO)

MVP of West Hollywd

Oct 28, 2008
Pretty good season overall. I'm still peeved that they pretty much dropped the deteriorating Logan story line. His health issues are still part of the story but in pretty minor and inconsequential ways. The beginning of the series was a good setup to have Logan battle his quickly eroding vitality while also battling his family for control. Instead they minimized that to focus more on the family struggle, which I get but I think it would have made for a better story if they had kept it central.

Also, I was arguing with family about who the main character is on the show. Would like to hear your opinions.

My take is that Greg is the main character. He's pretty unimportant to the major storyline but he gets a ton of screen time despite that. I think the audience is supposed to experience the story through Greg. He's an outsider to the family drama and appears to be a pretty normal guy so we get to see what it would be like to be in that world. I guess it depends on how you view the show. I see it more as a window into the elite world where the succession storyline is just a vehicle to show how people operate in that world. Greg is kinda like Dante walking through hell, and even though there is a war going on in hell, his story is still the main one IMHO.

1000%, I love that track. I use the 10 hour version as background when I'm working/reading and never get tired of it haha. The whole score for the show is phenomenal IMO

No true main character but I usually think of it as Kendall. The storyline always seems to revolve around him some way and his relationship with Logan.

Greg is falling for the rich lifestyle too much like Tom and losing what was one of his best assets which was second guessing himself. Once that assistant started going on a few dates with him it's like his brain "I'm the man!" and started looking to trade her in for someone else.

izzy

go
Apr 29, 2012
Nova Scotia
I don’t really think this show has a “main character”.

Greg is important, but I don’t think he’s the viewers eyes into the Roy family, but more of a way to show how quickly this scenario can corrupt. Makes it a bit easier to swallow how shitty all the characters actually are, when you see even Greg falls into it.

Either way, Tom and Greg are the two GOATS so im pretty happy with the current state of things.

Roman is the “meanest” of the 3 but id say he’s a better person than Shiv, who I think has just became horrible throughout. Both are pretty much irredeemable but you can at least feel bad for Roman, since he’s like a weird little puppy.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Finally got caught up. Savage ending to season 3, though they telegraphed it pretty hard after Shiv's phone call with Tom.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Watched seasons 1-3 over the last couple weeks. Wasn't enjoying season 3 that much until the last episode and a half. The scene(s) right after Roman mistakenly sent that text were great. I almost died watching that. The season finale was great too, one of the best episodes in the series so far.

Overall, I think it's a solid show but not one of the best ever. I don't think a show can be great trying to be Veep and Mad Men at the same time.

Hoverhand

Barry Trotzky
Dec 6, 2015
Ontario
EXECUTIVES COMING THROUGH

The Israel-Palestine joke had me in stitches. God I love Tom and Greg.

Reading through some old takes in this thread has been quite interesting. I know season 1 and 2 were many moons ago but Jeremy Strong has been absolutely stellar in this, the best performance in the entire show. Kieran Culkin kills it too, his acting in the dick pic scene is incredible.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Sad it will be the last season but I'd rather shows end when they run out of material and story to tell rather than just extending it for as long as possible and ruin the overall quality.

Reactions: NyQuil

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So whos gunna be comin out on top?

The way the show has been goin it kinda feels like a Tom/Greg angle but personally hope its not just that.

Just give my boy Kendall a peaceful send off :(

Sep 19, 2008
I've seen about 2 minutes so far of this show, in my life, and the way these people talk is very very addicting

1679879315462.png

@Fixed to Ruin

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Great first episode of this season. I think I was fatigued by it and not so exciting coming into it, but this was great.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
So in season 1 it is Logan's birthday. In season two they try to buy Pierce for over 20b. Now for season 4 premier it is now Logan's birthday again, so pierce's company dropped by over half in value in less than a year?

Glad they're showing Greg to be more of a dick. He's never been a good dude, always a parasite leaching off of whatever he can attach himself too, but everyone loves him and think he's just a clumsy goofy guy. The guy turned down a 250m inheritance just so he could keep working for these awful people and then decided to try and sue Greenpeace.

Sep 19, 2008
I'm watching season 1 episode 1 right now and seeing the kids so nice to ol pa Logan Roy is hilarious after seeing season 4 episode 1 last night. It messes with my head!

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
This show feels like an 80s or 90s sitcom, in that no matter how much happens in an episode (or season), it always basically resets each episode. The plot progresses, but every episode its just the same thing over-and-over-and-over again.

But the theme song is still an absolute banger.

Reactions: John Price
Sep 19, 2008
This show feels like an 80s or 90s sitcom, in that no matter how much happens in an episode (or season), it always basically resets each episode. The plot progresses, but every episode its just the same thing over-and-over-and-over again.

But the theme song is still an absolute banger.
Watching over season 1 over the week and the song peppered in throughout the episodes are so good

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $8,351.00