Successful Off-season?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Yeah, I don't think some people realize how impractical it is to make a big splash every summer. We've already kind of made one with Reilly; not sure what else is to be expected.

I'd expected more internal changes. Maybe that's coming? Maybe not? But keeping Bruno on the PP was a bad decision. We need to dump Jim Mill, Richard Park and Guy LaPoint. Our player development has been underwhelming to the point of disappointing. Can you honestly say that Coyle, Granlund, Bussieres, Bulmer, Haula, Phillips have really met expectations? The only one that has is Zucker. Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon have been good. As has Dumba and that's the problem. We know how to develop defensemen. But we don't know how to really get the best out of our forwards. At one time, I'd thought Coyle had top 6 potential and 25-30 goal potential. He's lucky to see 20 and that to me is a huge, huge disappointment.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
I'd expected more internal changes. Maybe that's coming? Maybe not? But keeping Bruno on the PP was a bad decision. We need to dump Jim Mill, Richard Park and Guy LaPoint. Our player development has been underwhelming to the point of disappointing. Can you honestly say that Coyle, Granlund, Bussieres, Bulmer, Haula, Phillips have really met expectations? The only one that has is Zucker. Brodin, Scandella, Spurgeon have been good. As has Dumba and that's the problem. We know how to develop defensemen. But we don't know how to really get the best out of our forwards. At one time, I'd thought Coyle had top 6 potential and 25-30 goal potential. He's lucky to see 20 and that to me is a huge, huge disappointment.

Didn't Richard Park just join the org? How could he carry any responsiblity for the blame you are directing his way?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

No argument with Bruno and LaPoint, but I'm still not going to write-off a 22 year old's potential just yet.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
No argument with Bruno and LaPoint, but I'm still not going to write-off a 22 year old's potential just yet.

Unless Yeo changes his philosophy and takes the training wheels off and gives the kids more ice time on the PP, PK and 4 on 4 situations, I just don't see them developing much more. I think Coyle will eek out a 20 goal season here or there but that's really stretching it. Granlund might hit 22 goals if he pushes himself. This organization just needs to lessen the defensive responsibilities and let their centers play a little more free without worrying about covering the defense.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Unless Yeo changes his philosophy and takes the training wheels off and gives the kids more ice time on the PP, PK and 4 on 4 situations, I just don't see them developing much more. I think Coyle will eek out a 20 goal season here or there but that's really stretching it. Granlund might hit 22 goals if he pushes himself. This organization just needs to lessen the defensive responsibilities and let their centers play a little more free without worrying about covering the defense.

Once he gets bumped back to wing, as was the original plan, I'm confident that we'll see a bump. He'll be a 20+25 player.

Avder

The Very Weedcat
Jun 2, 2011
A place.
So far these have been my expectations for the offseason and if I think they're getting done:

[X] - Re-sign Dubnyk
[ ] - Re-tool the powerplay
[ ] - Solve the Backstrom Problem
[X] - Good draft
[ ] - Get some RFA's re-signed.

Not expecting a big splash in free agency this year. In fact I'd be happy if we did absolutely nothing other than deal with our own players.

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So far these have been my expectations for the offseason and if I think they're getting done:

[X] - Re-sign Dubnyk
[ ] - Re-tool the powerplay
[ ] - Solve the Backstrom Problem
[X] - Good draft
[ ] - Get some RFA's re-signed.

Not expecting a big splash in free agency this year. In fact I'd be happy if we did absolutely nothing other than deal with our own players.

I think our "big splash" in free agency was signing Mike Reilly.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
My biggest issue with the roster is the center position. Look at the faceoffs taken by the centers over the last three years along with the percentage:

Koivu: 54.8% (4073)
Granlund: 49.9% (1979)
Brodziak: 48.8% (2673)
Haula: 45.7% (921)
Coyle: 44.5% (1202)

Koivu is high-end to elite in faceoffs. Granlund is average. Big drop off to Haula and Coyle, who are well below average. It's entirely possible that those two will improve over the next couple years to about average, but are the Wild built to compete in a couple years?

It would make a lot more sense to bring in another center and move Coyle back to wing, IMO. I'd wonder about Cullen's availability. He's still productive in terms of points and he's good at faceoffs:

Cullen: 55.6% (1507)

At the least, use him as another matchup center when the Wild need to win a draw and Koivu's coming off the ice.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
It would make a lot more sense to bring in another center and move Coyle back to wing, IMO. I'd wonder about Cullen's availability. He's still productive in terms of points and he's good at faceoffs:

Graovac? Maybe an internal callup?

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
i agree i would like to see graovac center keranen & mitchell as our top ahl line. haula has to bounce back. i doubt brodz will re-sign cheap so i think hes gone.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If we could somehow get Backstrom out of here, even retain 50-60% of it, we could have enough space to offer Cullen a 1 x $2M swan song deal to play #3C. Bumps Coyle to the Zucker/Koivu RW and gives Graovac another year in Iowa for sure.

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
If we could somehow get Backstrom out of here, even retain 50-60% of it, we could have enough space to offer Cullen a 1 x $2M swan song deal to play #3C. Bumps Coyle to the Zucker/Koivu RW and gives Graovac another year in Iowa for sure.

Would be awesome to get Arizona to take him, even with retention. They still need about $14M on the books to reach the cap floor. :naughty:

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
I wouldn't be upset with Cullen on a 1-year deal for around 1M, though I'm not sure he'd play in our healthy top-9. Would put us at 4 left-handed centers though, but I guess Pominville/Coyle can take draws. Ryan Carter's over 50% for his career in the dot but hasn't really taken draws consistently for a few years. Still wouldn't mind re-signing him as I do like what he brings as a 4th line forward.

What about Mark Letestu? Down year last year, over 50% the past couple seasons on the draw, just under 40pt/82 pace for the 3 seasons prior. Right-handed center, ties with Fletcher in Pittsburgh and has been playing under our former head coach in Todd Richards, so Fletcher has strong ties to him.

nickschultzfan

Jan 7, 2009
OMG no more Cullen. I cannot take more of Bambi. Just go with Haula if that is what you are looking for.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad