Successful Off-season?

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
This is definitely frustrating.

I guess we'll just have to hope for a few guys in the Granlund, Coyle, Nino, Zucker group to take some significant steps forward. :dunno:

I am hoping they break out and become who we've all wanted them to be. But I guess I am a pessimist? I just didn't see enough last year to see the improvement needed to break that barrier.

At the ages that they are at, we should expect them to. Internal improvement is still improvement, and can affect a team just as much as a big free agent signing.

By no means is it asinine to believe that they will get better and I would love to see internal improvement over any other but like I said ^, I am not convinced it'll be enough to improve in the playoffs. I hope I am wrong.

Oh, for sure. And especially if it's two or three of them getting better at the same time.

Fingers crossed :)

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I would hope for some improvement, but I didn't even see sustained flashes of great play from any of the kids (outside of Zucker and maybe Dumba down the stretch). Granlund, Coyle, even Nino kind of had forgettable years. I still think they can all be second line forwards, but I was really hoping one of them stepped up to flash some top line talent (especially Granlund).

If Zucker hadn't been so dang good for so much of the year (when he wasn't hurt), it would have been very disappointing.

gwh

Mar 4, 2013
Kane only played in 61 games, and Kesler/Parise are 30 years old, not 25.

I think 30-30 is definitely within the ballpark of higher end expectations.

So Better than Nuge, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Duchene, St.Louis... Definite allstar at pick #20.

:partytime:

(I d be happy if he makes the roster and becomes stable mid6 center)

grN1g

Nov 11, 2009
Minnesota
So Better than Nuge, Bergeron, O'Reilly, Duchene, St.Louis... Definite allstar at pick #20.

:partytime:

(I d be happy if he makes the roster and becomes stable mid6 center)

your reading too much into what i said... I have hopes that he has the possible potential ceiling to be that type of player, never said he would for sure be that guy.

Tyler Johnson was considered a bust and never going to play in the NHL at one point... look at him now.

you can never predict how someone will turn out as a pro, but you can gauge their floor and ceiling... and right now id say EK has a floor of a 3rd/4th line shutdown C - 1st line two-way consistent 60 - maybe one or two 70pt seasons in his best years, the talent and IQ seem to be their for that to be possible.

saywut

Jun 11, 2009
Nothing surprising has happened yet. Don't expect much to change in the next month either. Until the players play the games it will be extremely difficult for me to evaluate this offseason as a good/bad one. It appears we're not giving up on our struggling vets or non-progressing youngsters, and buying into a goaltender who played the best hockey of his career. If we don't make it further in the playoffs I would consider it a failure.

Kari Takko

Jun 6, 2010
North Metro, MN
Assuming the Wild are able to re-sign the RFAs (including Granlund) and sign any necessary depth players to reasonable deals, would you be satisfied going into camp next year?

Notable Accomplishments:
-Re-signed Dubnyk
-Signed Reilly
-Drafted multiple guys with high-end upside: Ek, Greenway, Kaprizov, Bouramman
-Cut dead weight in Cooke and possibly Backstrom

To put another way, who thinks a trade or two is necessary to get this ready for next season?

I think it is a good point to gauge people's opinions of where this team is. Especially after listening to KFAN the last few days.

I like the offseason to this point. The Reilly signing was a nice surprise and Dubnyk's return was those most important thing going into next year.

That said, this team is in a good spot to contend. I personally don't think the 4 game sweep vs Chicago was an indication of what this team is capable of.

If I was in charge of making trades, I think I would be inclined to trade Jared Spurgeon. I'm a fan of his, but his value has to be pretty high right now and it's unlikely the Wild will be able to afford him going into 16-17.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I like the offseason to this point. The Reilly signing was a nice surprise and Dubnyk's return was those most important thing going into next year.

That said, this team is in a good spot to contend. I personally don't think the 4 game sweep vs Chicago was an indication of what this team is capable of.

If I was in charge of making trades, I think I would be inclined to trade Jared Spurgeon. I'm a fan of his, but his value has to be pretty high right now and it's unlikely the Wild will be able to afford him going into 16-17.

Obviously none of us have no idea what he's going to ask for, but I wouldn't be too sure about no being able to afford him.

Bruce Granville

Oct 11, 2014
If we don't make at least one trade with Boston, I'm very disappointed.
Bäckström and Pominville for Bergeron, to start with.

Jesus comma Brodin

Effing Norris-Byng Brodin
Feb 22, 2013
Minnesota
In the same world they were in during draft day.

Exactly. Boston is already making crazy trades. I'm at least offering a backup-goalie and a sniper.

I hear what you're saying but that would be asinine. Let's make a deal but I think we need to be more realistic. What interest would they have in Backstrom when Jones/Rask is solid as can be... And in all honesty, a team that's already the 4th oldest team in the league would doubtfully replace their captain for a guy whose 3 years older and would be the 4th oldest player on an already old team.

DANOZ28

May 22, 2012
nearest bar MN
is it official what the cap # is for next season? reilly signing is huge imo. part 1 signing dubnyk part 2 the backstrom issue. no big trades need to happen , just fit our guys under the cap. i'd like to see a new PP coach but i doubt that will happen. with solid goaltending , solid defense and our young guns improving we'll be fine , not sure if we'll improve over our 100 point season. my goal would be 106 points.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
is it official what the cap # is for next season? reilly signing is huge imo. part 1 signing dubnyk part 2 the backstrom issue. no big trades need to happen , just fit our guys under the cap. i'd like to see a new PP coach but i doubt that will happen. with solid goaltending , solid defense and our young guns improving we'll be fine , not sure if we'll improve over our 100 point season.

Yep. $71.4M

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Unless Minnesota does something crazy, for management it is a successful off-season. For fans it's decent but underwhelming off-season. Dubynk was an okay signing, typical of GMCF. Reilly is okay but we already have a crowded blueline. Draft was okay but again typical. It's been an underwhelming off-season

Casper

30 goal grinder
Mar 23, 2010
MN
Unless Minnesota does something crazy, for management it is a successful off-season. For fans it's decent but underwhelming off-season. Dubynk was an okay signing, typical of GMCF. Reilly is okay but we already have a crowded blueline. Draft was okay but again typical. It's been an underwhelming off-season

Pretty much. Its been a solid offseason thus far with a good draft, Reilly signing, and shoring up dubnyk's contract. It looks like we will be hoping for internal improvement and bounce back years though.

Nsjohnson

Hockey.
Jun 22, 2012
Miami

Not sure anyone had expectations that something huge was going to happen anyways. I don't think it's been underwhelming- just kind of in the middle. No one was going to be trading 3 of our players for Sidney Crosby. We knew it would be a generally quiet offseason. I'd expect the same starting tomorrow, too.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Not sure anyone had expectations that something huge was going to happen anyways. I don't think it's been underwhelming- just kind of in the middle. No one was going to be trading 3 of our players for Sidney Crosby. We knew it would be a generally quiet offseason. I'd expect the same starting tomorrow, too.

Yeah, I don't think some people realize how impractical it is to make a big splash every summer. We've already kind of made one with Reilly; not sure what else is to be expected.

Victorious Secret

2024 Lottery Winner
Jul 18, 2011
Matt's Meat Market
Yeah, I don't think some people realize how impractical it is to make a big splash every summer. We've already kind of made one with Reilly; not sure what else is to be expected.

Yup. I don't mind being more so stagnant, the only part of this off-season I disagree with is drafting so many defensemen late. But odds of anyone actually making an impact out of those rounds is nearly non-existant, just seems like we do a good job developing forward talent from the late rounds. (Haula, Graovac)

Hyperactivity is not a trait I'm fond of.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad