Successful AGM that became great GM

General Disarray

Jul 21, 2016
Toronto
A lot of times we look at AGM of successful teams as candidates for our team's vacant GM spot. I recall a lot of us would have liked Fenton but we see what he became.

What are examples of an AGM of a successful team becoming a great GM?

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Not sure he qualifies as “great” but Shero had success in Nashville, got their farm team to win at least 1 Calder Cup as I recall, then won a Cup w/ Pittsburgh.

Not crazy about his later years in Pittsburgh overall but he was successful.

Winnipeg Jets

Lucky #7
Feb 19, 2010
Winnipeg
Cheveldayoff has been good for the Jets, although the sample size is small. He was AGM for the Hawks that won the Cup in 2010. He's completely revitalised a horrible Thrashers prospect pool and churned out a bunch of good roster players in Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Morrissey, Trouba, etc. Obviously one guy doesn't steer the ship but he's done a good job at the helm with the people around him.

Reactions: Vachon23

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
See what he became? Hasn't he been there only a year? And really unsure what the direction and demands the ownership wants yet there and maybe he isnt either. But I thought go get younger or begin a rebuild was the point of firing a guy that got you a consistently in the playoffs streak.

If you dont mean only other teams. Stan Bowman was the AGM and took over to cap off the 1st cup and retool to win 2 more cups, and win a draft lottery pick.

Cheveldayoff was a Hawks assistant GM and I dont know what people think of him here now. Years of sucking and raking in high picks but keeping his D stocked help the team become good but I dont know if people will sour on him now.

SourTemplePilot

Go Stars!!
Oct 10, 2017
Dallas, TX
I would say Jim Nill. Assistant GM with the Wings for a long time prior to arriving in Dallas.

Granted, drafting has been terrible but he stole Seguin from the B’s at the beginning of his tenure here.

That move alone would qualify him for this thread, imo.

Reactions: Elysian

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not sure he qualifies as “great” but Shero had success in Nashville, got their farm team to win at least 1 Calder Cup as I recall, then won a Cup w/ Pittsburgh.

Not crazy about his later years in Pittsburgh overall but he was successful.
Yea this post is an insult to the word great. Shero is far from great. The fact that Crosby and Malkin won him a cup doesn’t change that. Is Bylsma a great coach because he won a cup? No.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Cheveldayoff has been good for the Jets, although the sample size is small. He was AGM for the Hawks that won the Cup in 2010. He's completely revitalised a horrible Thrashers prospect pool and churned out a bunch of good roster players in Scheifele, Ehlers, Connor, Laine, Morrissey, Trouba, etc. Obviously one guy doesn't steer the ship but he's done a good job at the helm with the people around him.
I give the ex-Thrashers scouts more credit than Chevydayoff.

What has Chevy done on trade market to improve this team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad