Successful AGM that became great GM

Slyfox

Dec 12, 2016
Toronto
What exactly has Dubas done? Don't say Tavares cause I could have signed him to a contract in Toronto.
Getting rid of Martin with no retention, getting Muzzin looks good so far and moving out Babcock pet Par Lindholm has allowed players like Marner more time on the PK which has helped as well. Also, Petan for Lindholm is a win.

Devil Dancer

Jan 21, 2006
Very happy w/Brian MacLellan’s work.
I am too, but I wouldn't put him in the "great GM" category yet. He put the final pieces in place for the Caps, but he's never built a roster from the ground up, and he inherited a lot of talent.

Maybe he'll get his chance when the Ovie era is over.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Jokes aside, people were claiming the demise of the Habs thanks to his lack of trading and then later, the trades he did make. Oddly enough, the Habs end up barely missing the playoffs and Domi ended up being an epic stud for the Habs.

Yet people are still trashing the dude, weird.

Reactions: Vachon23

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
He wasn't really a AGM of a successful team then right? I was looking more at guys like Fenton.

How do you define "successful", though? Arizona has had the smallest budget of any NHL team, their success can't sinply be defined apples-to-apples to a team allowed to spend to the cap ceiling. I think the WCF appearance in 2012 should be called success.

Likewise, he had a novel approach to the AHL team he was responsible for where prospect development was his only criteria for evaluating his coaches, not AHL wins or playoff runs.

Treliving has also suggested he played a big part in some of their first round selections (the ones he's named in particular were OEL and Domi).

I don't believe Burke would have hired Treliving to be GM if he didn't feel Treliving was successful as an AGM within the restrictions he faced.

Reactions: Voight

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
Jokes aside, people were claiming the demise of the Habs thanks to his lack of trading and then later, the trades he did make. Oddly enough, the Habs end up barely missing the playoffs and Domi ended up being an epic stud for the Habs.

Yet people are still trashing the dude, weird.
I mean, it's Montreal, so you have to expect that. We wouldn't be in this spot if Bergevin didn't screw the pooch on Radulov, and to a lesser extent Markov, and even if I'm a fan, the Drouin trade was iffy but I do like his moves this season. We could be doing way, way, way worse. Some people forget the dark days of the Gainey regime.

Elysian

Emo Stars Fan
Dec 4, 2011
Norton, OH
I would say Jim Nill. Assistant GM with the Wings for a long time prior to arriving in Dallas.

Granted, drafting has been terrible but he stole Seguin from the B’s at the beginning of his tenure here.

That move alone would qualify him for this thread, imo.
Came here to post something like this. I have lots of criticism for Nill, but him getting Zuccarello really brought him back around for me. That was the move we needed, even if Zuccarello got injured right away.

Reactions: SourTemplePilot

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I give the ex-Thrashers scouts more credit than Chevydayoff.

What has Chevy done on trade market to improve this team.

He did the Evander Kane trade which has turned out to be a big win. And the last 2 trade deadline rentals have been good.

He also signed Scheifele and Ehlers to pretty great deals considering where salaries are going right now. The Perreault UFA pickup at the time was a nice find. All the Jets bests players acquired by draft pick that played for the Winnipeg team were selected while the team was in Winnipeg. Burmistrov, Kane and Bogosian appear to have been mishandled (thrown to the wolves right out of the draft). Patrice Cormier was the top rated prospect when the Jets got the Thrashers...
Let that sink in.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
He also signed Scheifele and Ehlers to pretty great deals considering where salaries are going right now. The Perreault UFA pickup at the time was a nice find. All the Jets bests players acquired by draft pick that played for the Winnipeg team were selected while the team was in Winnipeg. Burmistrov, Kane and Bogosian appear to have been mishandled (thrown to the wolves right out of the draft). Patrice Cormier was the top rated prospect when the Jets got the Thrashers...
Let that sink in.
He has only been out of the first round once. How can you consider him successful or a 'great gm' with that pisspoor record. 2 of 3 teams best & most consistent players, Byfuglien and Wheeler still come from Atlanta regime.

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
He has only been out of the first round once. How can you consider him successful or a 'great gm' with that pisspoor record. 2 of 3 teams best & most consistent players, Byfuglien and Wheeler still come from Atlanta regime.

Getting Scheifele on one of the best value contracts in the NHL alone is worth a lot.
A LOT of GM's have not been to a Conference Final at all in the last 10 years. Is your definition Cup or bust?

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
Getting Scheifele on one of the best value contracts in the NHL alone is worth a lot.
A LOT of GM's have not been to a Conference Final at all in the last 10 years. Is your definition Cup or bust?
To be considered a great gm, yes i think you need to win a cup.

It doesnt mean that you are bust if you dont. It is simply you are just not great.

Peter Sidorkiewicz

Devils Army
Sponsor
Oct 22, 2002
He did the Evander Kane trade which has turned out to be a big win. And the last 2 trade deadline rentals have been good.
Just looked up the Evander Kane trade.
After the end of season, when Myers leaves for free agency, the only player left that the Jets will likely still have as part of the deal is Jack Roslovic.

Hardly a big win.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Just looked up the Evander Kane trade.
After the end of season, when Myers leaves for free agency, the only player left that the Jets will likely still have as part of the deal is Jack Roslovic.

Hardly a big win.

How long do you expect trades to last.
Myers for Bogosian = huge win for the Jets. Myers was on a back diving contract. The Jets were only paying him 3.5, 3 & 2.5 million on a 5.5 million cap hit. Bogosian has been more injured than Myers and Tyler had a great playoff run last year. Keep in mind if Trouba is traded this summer Myers may still be a Jet yet.

Stafford, Armia, Lemieux & 1st (Roslovic) for Kane and Kasdorff (goalie).

Stafford was big that year to help us make the playoffs. He was re-signed for 2 years which I don't really count as part of the trade. Armia was a key piece of the Jets and had a nice role on the team. He was included in the trade to move Mason's contract. An unfortunate loss as he was a popular player. Lemieux had a strong AHL season last year; played himself into a major dog house in Finland that single handedly cost the Jets the 2nd game there. But he had a really nice bounce back and showed some nice signs of continuing to develop his scoring touch. He was moved in the Hayes deal which was not popular.

And yes we have Roslovic who shows all kind of promise. NHL first star of the week earlier in the year. If he can grow into a consistent top 6 role then this is still a huge piece of our future.

Kane was Kane. Great player that brought a lot of negative drama to the Sabres and some injuries. Kasdorff was an ECHL goalie.

No matter how you shake it Jets won that trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad