OT - NO POLITICS Subs, taxes and frozen pipes edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The winner of the largest prize that has been awarded in the history of the lottery in the United States made his first major purchase -- and it is a doozy.

Edwin Castro bought a $25.5 million mansion in the Hollywood Hills, according to Dirt, a real estate publication.

The 15,000-square-foot mansion is located in the foothills of Los Angeles County. Some of Castro's new neighbors include celebrities like Ariana Grande, Dakota Johnson and Jimmy Kimmel.

I give him 2 years before he declares bankruptcy

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
2 more Catholic all girls high schools are closing in Boston after this school year. Mount Saint Joseph's in Brighton and now Mount Alvernia in Chestnut Hill.

Apparently the nuns sold the land secretly and part of the agreement from the new owner was that thw school had to go.

My high school is absorbing the displaced students but they are going to be bursting at the seams. That place was small 23 years ago when I graduated.

I didn't have the greatest high school experience but I am happy to see my high school welcome these girls with open arms.

• Wow
Reactions: mikelvl and sooshii

eightspokedb

pickee chickadee
Sponsor
Jul 17, 2002
cave of caerbannog
Visit site
45°F at the Cave today... actually got to dry my towels outside today.....and Annie cornered a chipmunk in a ladder....spring is on it's way!!!

Had a raccoon eating the evening sunflower seeds for the last two nights....

The Moon is SPECTACULAR tonight....went outside and howled at it.....

Reactions: BMC

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
You both look happy!!!! Awesome!!!!
Happily ever after. :heart:

I got this surprise for my hubby (who I’m leaving for #73)
DE099E15-DF89-41F7-82E5-698ECD5BC2A1.jpeg

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
The winner of the largest prize that has been awarded in the history of the lottery in the United States made his first major purchase -- and it is a doozy.

Edwin Castro bought a $25.5 million mansion in the Hollywood Hills, according to Dirt, a real estate publication.

The 15,000-square-foot mansion is located in the foothills of Los Angeles County. Some of Castro's new neighbors include celebrities like Ariana Grande, Dakota Johnson and Jimmy Kimmel.

I would be so good at being rich!

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Dealing with the state bureaucracy after the death of a loved one is maddening

The funeral home director pulled me aside and handed me a letter he got addressed to the estate of my friend. The letter demanded immediate repayment of the March pension deposit they had sent to his checking account PLUS repayment for Feb 25-28 as he died on the 24th. I expected this but figured they would deduct that from his death benefit. He only worked for the state so he never paid a dime into Social Security.

He didn't have a will so to get access to his bank account we have to petition Middlesex County probate :help:

Trying to take the load of his partner I call the state pension office to give me a road map. They will not issue the death benefit until we can document that he died YET their computers generated the letter demanding repayment. :rant:

The funeral director ( who BTW did a fantastic job ) told me the state sends the letter to the funeral home figuring it is the best way to contact the family :banghead:

BTW I offered my AMEX card to the funeral home and the owner said no as it will sort itself out.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
Same. In fact, I'd rather have a nice cabin in the woods all peaceful rather than a beach house or something. Just more of my vibe. Cute cabin in the snowy woods? I'll take that every day!
That's going to be us in a few years when we finally move to Maine. Except it will be a house in the woods, on a private lake, 10 miles to Ellsworth and will be a permanent home

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
Hoping for an update from the insurance company today. I never heard from the cops.

If you know of a lawyer who handles cases dealing with negligence and hit and runs please PM me. Let me put it this way, I suspect there was a breakdown in certain protocols and that is a problem.

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

Terrier

Sep 30, 2003
Newton, MA
Visit site

1678365252221.png

1678366089975.png

Last edited:
Reactions: BMC

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
2 more Catholic all girls high schools are closing in Boston after this school year. Mount Saint Joseph's in Brighton and now Mount Alvernia in Chestnut Hill.

Apparently the nuns sold the land secretly and part of the agreement from the new owner was that thw school had to go.

My high school is absorbing the displaced students but they are going to be bursting at the seams. That place was small 23 years ago when I graduated.

I didn't have the greatest high school experience but I am happy to see my high school welcome these girls with open arms.
My daughter in currently in 7th grade at Mount Alvernia High School so we took this news right on chin yesterday. NOBODY saw this coming. We are trying to figure out what to do. We live in Newton so the location was perfect for us. She just made her friends too. Brutal news. And that school didn't have to close, it was small buy fairly vibrant.

They had a fundraiser in October and one person gave $250k!! How do you think he feels right now, brutal.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
My daughter in currently in 7th grade at Mount Alvernia High School so we took this news right on chin yesterday. NOBODY saw this coming. We are trying to figure out what to do. We live in Newton so the location was perfect for us. She just made her friends too. Brutal news. And that school didn't have to close, it was small buy fairly vibrant.

They had a fundraiser in October and one person gave $250k!! How do you think he feels right now, brutal.
Wow, that's some real sketchy shit right there. If they were decent people, they'd give the guy the option of accepting that money back or donating it to another cause.

Reactions: TD Charlie

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston

Sending a hug your daughter's way.

From what I've seen on Facebook from people I know who are alums, the nuns went behind the board's back and negotiated a private sale and the buyer required the school to close. Apparently there was another offer that would allow the school to stay open and the nuns ignored the offer.

They did this before that fundraiser from my understanding. I'm hopeful that there is some legal options for the school because what is happening is the antithesis of the school's mission and the church's teachings.

I'm a Fontbonne Alum and I found out via an alumnae email. I got the email just before it hit the news. I may not be a parent but as an alum who often gets asked to donate funds, I want to know how they are going to absorb the influx of new students. The school was small when I went there in the late 90's. It has to be bursting at the seams.

My experience there was rough because of adhd but it is a good school with great teachers, some of whom are my former classmates. The location of the school is awesome but I know it would be a haul coming from Newton.

St. Claire's closed years ago and now Mt. Saint Joe's and Mount Alvernia. It really sucks there are few schools left.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
Sending a hug your daughter's way.

From what I've seen on Facebook from people I know who are alums, the nuns went behind the board's back and negotiated a private sale and the buyer required the school to close. Apparently there was another offer that would allow the school to stay open and the nuns ignored the offer.

They did this before that fundraiser from my understanding. I'm hopeful that there is some legal options for the school because what is happening is the antithesis of the school's mission and the church's teachings.

I'm a Fontbonne Alum and I found out via an alumnae email. I got the email just before it hit the news. I may not be a parent but as an alum who often gets asked to donate funds, I want to know how they are going to absorb the influx of new students. The school was small when I went there in the late 90's. It has to be bursting at the seams.

My experience there was rough because of adhd but it is a good school with great teachers, some of whom are my former classmates. The location of the school is awesome but I know it would be a haul coming from Newton.

St. Claire's closed years ago and now Mt. Saint Joe's and Mount Alvernia. It really sucks there are few schools left.
It was Newton Country Day School (located directly across the street from Mount Alvernia) that offered to keep the school on property and let the girls matriculate. But, as you said, they turned it down. The common opinion is that Boston College bought the property as they've been known to be drooling over it for years. Apparently these greedy nuns didn't take the vow of poverty.

Reactions: Alicat

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Boston
It was Newton Country Day School (located directly across the street from Mount Alvernia) that offered to keep the school on property and let the girls matriculate. But, as you said, they turned it down. The common opinion is that Boston College bought the property as they've been known to be drooling over it for years. Apparently these greedy nuns didn't take the vow of poverty.
Clearly not. Sadly, the same can be said for BC if they are indeed the new owners.

I'm sure the Archdiocese will come up with some bs excuse too.

shelbysdad

Nov 21, 2006
Red Hook, NY
That's a good one.

I am on the ground level so the damn skunk enjoys spraying my air conditioner in the summer. Talk about suffocating and eye watering.
When my wife was due with our daughter (first kid) we woke up at 2 AM due to a skunk smell....she got up and went to bathroom and her water broke while standing in the hallway.7 hours later daughter was born

• Love
Reactions: Alicat
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad