Subban's play since coming back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey Joe

Dec 18, 2007
Montreal
The biggest improvement is his shot. He gets it on net. He was still making bonehead plays early in the season but stopped doing that recently. He doesn't take so many stupid penalities too. He's learning fast and has a better environment to do so.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
The biggest improvement is his shot. He gets it on net. He was still making bonehead plays early in the season but stopped doing that recently. He doesn't take so many stupid penalities too. He's learning fast and has a better environment to do so.
Exactly, and this is part of maturing in the league as he plays more. Last year was his infamous "sophomore slump", and by the usual standard it wasn't too bad. This year he's really coming into his own. It's neat to watch him and Marky play together, as Markov kind of passes the torch to him.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
Mike Keenan said this a few months back... he's another Chris Chelios.

Personally I don't see it. I don't remember Chelios being that dynamic a skater or having the kinds of rushes that PK has. What I remember from Chelios was that he was a fearless warrior who would do anything to win and wouldn't back down from anyone. Chelios was a lot dirtier than PK is too.

I see them as being different players. Some similarities for sure but PK doesn't remind me of Chelios.

+1.

We've never had a dman that can skate like Subban (besides the fact that he can shut down Crosby). And, I also don't think our Habs ever had a dman with so much talent/skill. Seems so obvious, yet...many come here to bash and complain or barely compliment as if it's painful to compliment Subban...I really don't get it.

PK Subban...dynamic/amazing/fast skater...can go coast to coast but is now trying to be more conservative for the ''team first'' mentality and/or not doing it (coast to coast sometimes) to avoid the Therrien doghouse for being creative/original/entertaining/daring...don't want to be too daring (might result in less ice-time or doghouse).

''Chelios was a fearless warrior that would do anything to win''...this also sounds very much like Subban;)

And, imo...Subban>Karlsson
(if we need to shut-down Crosby...I want Subban out there, not Karlsson).

Only in Montreal...you're supposed to kiss Markov's derriere 24hrs a day and talk about him like he's Lidstrom (even though Markov is always no-show in playoffs), and you're allowed to say that Karlsson is already a legend, but with Subban all we hear is ''it's too early to say he's a great Dman'', ''he's not there yet'', ''he still needs to learn a lot'', ''too this'', ''too that'', ''not enough of this'', ''not enough of that'',etc,etc, what the ****.
So much blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...so many ****ing haters...just people that don't deserve to watch Subban since they can't appreciate the best dman our Habs have had in decades.

Last edited:

e46330ivs*

+1.

We've never had a dman that can skate like Subban (besides the fact that he can shut down Crosby). And, I also don't think our Habs ever had a dman with so much talent/skill. Seems so obvious, yet...many come here to bash and complain or barely compliment as if it's painful to compliment Subban...I really don't get it.

PK Subban...dynamic/amazing/fast skater...can go coast to coast but is now trying to be more conservative for the ''team first'' mentality and/or not doing it (coast to coast sometimes) to avoid the Therrien doghouse for being creative/original/entertaining/daring...don't want to be too daring (might result in less ice-time or doghouse).

''Chelios was a fearless warrior that would do anything to win''...this also sounds very much like Subban;)

And, imo...Subban>Karlsson(if we need to shut-down Crosby...I want Subban out there, not Karlsson).

Only in Montreal...you're supposed to kiss Markov's derriere 24hrs a day and talk about him like he's Lidstrom (even though Markov is always no-show in playoffs), and you're allowed to say that Karlsson is already a legend, but with Subban all we hear is ''it's too early to say he's a great Dman'', ''he's not there yet'', ''he still needs to learn a lot'', ''too this'', ''too that'', ''not enough of this'', ''not enough of that'',etc,etc, what the ****.
So much blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah...so many ****ing haters...just people that don't deserve to watch Subban since they can't appreciate the best dman our Habs have had in decades.

you best check yourself before you wreck yourself, Son!

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
you best check yourself before you wreck yourself, Son!

For telling it like it is...you have to check yourself in?
What a society! Still jokes about ''people that should be checked in'' when they disagree with someone else's opinion.
Bullies, cyberbullies, tough guys behind laptops in basements... people with so much fake macho pride (hard-headed).
Seems like some people come here for the sake of macho adrenaline of telling people they're wrong when there is no way to prove it...all OPINIONS/OBSERVATIONS, not facts.

I'm just telling it like it is (imo or imho).
Nothing wrong with that.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
For telling it like it is...you have to check yourself in?
What a society! Still jokes about ''people that should be checked in'' when they disagree with someone else's opinion.
Bullies, cyberbullies, tough guys behind laptops in basements... people with so much fake macho pride (hard-headed).
Seems like some people come here for the sake of macho adrenaline of telling people they're wrong when there is no way to prove it...all OPINIONS/OBSERVATIONS, not facts.

I'm just telling it like it is (imo or imho).
Nothing wrong with that.

You really should google that phrase before going off on someone for saying something you don't even understand.

And the irony of you calling anyone else a hater is delicious.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
not really, no.

not greatly but he did improve, and he's showing signs he's trying hard to add more to his toolbox even though attempts arent always succesful (reason I said he's slowly becoming great, not that he is already)

huh, what are you talking about ? I did mention Emelin, Diaz, Moen, Gionta, etc.. ON TOP of Gorges... reading 101.

the issues become major flaws when you add them, not when you look at them one by one, difference between god and great is rarely due to only one thing.

it was telling me that he had great POTENTIAL actually, not that he was already great.

Gionta played 31 games last year. Emelin and Diaz were rookies that needed time to adapt, and Diaz also got injured.
As I said, aside from the top line last year, we didn't have much. Not sure why you're even arguing about this.

No, they're not major flaws. They are minor flaws that when added together are a bunch of minor flaws. They don't suddenly become major flaws.
A major flaw would be lacking vision and positioning defensively. Telling him to stop his end to end rushes and not to wind up as much are small corrections.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
No, they're not major flaws. They are minor flaws that when added together are a bunch of minor flaws. They don't suddenly become major flaws.
A major flaw would be lacking vision and positioning defensively. Telling him to stop his end to end rushes and not to wind up as much are small corrections.

Agreed with everything you posted.

As for his huge wind-ups and end-to-end rushes, he already toned those down last year. He really hasn't changed much this year to be honest, except his natural progression.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Gionta played 31 games last year. Emelin and Diaz were rookies that needed time to adapt, and Diaz also got injured.
As I said, aside from the top line last year, we didn't have much. Not sure why you're even arguing about this.

considering he was doing end to end rushes that lead to nowhere on a nightly basis and that he was winding up like crazy on pretty much half his shots, one would think there are flaws more than just small corrections...

but hey, I get it, nothing was wrong with PK game last seasons and he didnt improve...

how stupid of me to think he could become better than he already is :shakehead

PricePkPatch*

I would compare PK's rising performance as a creshendo this year. His play quality and his play quantity are slowly, but surely rising as the season advance.

PK took half a season in his first year to get his game going
In his second year, it took him 2 months
This year, 3 weeks

He's young. He's awesome. He'll get even better. His time will come, his jersey will be retired.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
considering he was doing end to end rushes that lead to nowhere on a nightly basis and that he was winding up like crazy on pretty much half his shots, one would think there are flaws more than just small corrections...

but hey, I get it, nothing was wrong with PK game last seasons and he didnt improve...

how stupid of me to think he could become better than he already is :shakehead

For someone that criticizes the other poster of ''reading 101'' you certainly have a hard time understanding yourself.

Everybody here agreed PK improved. Where we differ in opinion is on the amount of improvements and their magnitude. Not sure how this becomes ''nothing was wrong with PK and he didn't improve''.

I don't think you're being fair in your evaluation either. PK did not have end to end rushes that lead nowhere on a nightly basis. You're exaggerating. His wind up was the same the first year and he pot 14goals. I don't think it's even a problem. When it's come to the point where we are discussing the wind up of a player's slap shot then I feel people are seriously looking for flaws.
Again, it doesn't matter how often he did those things, they remain small corrections.

Also, as was mentioned, you can easily argue that some of the ''flaws'' you mentioned were more a product of him playing on a 28th place team with absolutely no system.

I think PK is following his progression curve. He was great last year but had some details to improve on. He seems to have done that and is looking even more solid.
However, he already was a solid Dman that effectively shutdown the top opponents on a nightly basis. That doesn't mean he is the best of the world and has nothing to improve on. He will keep maturing, he will keep perfecting what he already does well.

cphabs

The 2 stooges….
Dec 21, 2012
Bashed him on the contract side of things and have been eating crow since. Any have a way to make it taste better? I think that I am going to be eating it for a while. :laugh:

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
Bashed him on the contract side of things and have been eating crow since. Any have a way to make it taste better? I think that I am going to be eating it for a while. :laugh:

I suggest Carolina BBQ sauce. The mix of mustard gives it a great flavour.

habsfanatics*

May 20, 2012
not winding up as much
not attempting end to end rushes as often
more creative on the PP
make better passes in transition
more patient with the puck
doesnt do his "around the net with only one hand on stick" thingie as often

yup, I'd say he's the exact same... thing is, with that logic one would have to think he has somehow regressed as he is the exact same while the whole team is better... don't you think ? :naughty:

Oh my, his one handed stick thingie. You've nailed it. The team is entirely different, try following the team.

Dagistitsyn

Aug 27, 2011
Nova Scotia
I never understood why PK rarely EVER uses the wrist shot. Used it twice tonight and it paid off both times with deflection goals by Ryder.

He should use it more often.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
One thing people tend to overlook is the environment the
comeback of Markov has taken weight off Subban's shoulders.
P.K doesn't have to deke the whole opposing team anymore
he can just make simple/smart plays using his unreal
agility/slapshot/speed.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
I guess that pro-rated stats (i.e. pts/icetime) would show that PK is now the most productive defensman in the whole league. Unreal.

Hope he get signed longterm this summer!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad