SUBBAN.....Why do opposing fans......

Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Don't like Subban? RACIST! :laugh: Seriously, that's just sad. I don't like Crosby either, I guess I'm prejudiced against Canadians, huh? A lot of people in here need to get a grip. Assuming it's automatically about race demonstrates a degree of insecurity concerning racial issues. You guys are making it the focus when it's not, and that's backwards thinking.

This thread is an out of control gong-show on wheels because of that crap. You're not going to find any player who acts like a heel that isn't booed left and right.

I don't know what it is but I'm definitely not delusional enough to believe some of the "hate" directed towards him isn't racially tinged. You'd have to be blind to not see it. Is everyone who dislikes PK racist? No. But I'm sure as hell not going to act like that "hatred" has nothing to do with the color of his skin.

This thread should be closed because these discussions go nowhere.

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
Subban receiving media criticism and opponent booing is a bit of a no-brainer. It's racism. Subtle, disguised but thinly veiled racism. This is classic white redneck "the boy don't know his place". I love him!!!! Great athlete, exuberant, enthusiastic balls to the wall player. Mike Richards is an arrogant, presumtious little twit and his condescending comments about Subban a couple of years ago represent everything that is wrong with the white, conservative, cookie cutter hockey establishment.

Chara is booed in Montreal because he tried to kill Pacioretty. That makes sense. The media, however, loves everything about him and he's not booed in EVERY arena. Subban has done nothing remotely as egregious as Chara and yet........................

racism.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Subban receiving media criticism and opponent booing is a bit of a no-brainer. It's racism. Subtle, disguised but thinly veiled racism. This is classic white redneck "the boy don't know his place". I love him!!!! Great athlete, exuberant, enthusiastic balls to the wall player. Mike Richards is an arrogant, presumtious little twit and his condescending comments about Subban a couple of years ago represent everything that is wrong with the white, conservative, cookie cutter hockey establishment.

Chara is booed in Montreal because he tried to kill Pacioretty. That makes sense. The media, however, loves everything about him and he's not booed in EVERY arena. Subban has done nothing remotely as egregious as Chara and yet........................

racism.

You are wrong about racism.

LeBron James showered with boos after he dances at midcourt.

brondance.gif

LeBron James of the Miami Heat was roundly booed in Toronto.

Here are some players on the Toronto roster....

dwight_buycks.png

austin_daye.png

demar_derozan.png

chuck_hayes.png

So are the Toronto Raptors fans racist against LeBron James as they cheer for the black players on their team?

Or was it because of the perception of the player as a person and their actions.

In Montreal, Subban can do no wrong. Sorry to say but that is not the case around the NHL.

Blaming racism is narrow minded.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013

brondance.gif

dwight_buycks.png

austin_daye.png

demar_derozan.png

chuck_hayes.png

So are the Toronto Raptors fans racist against LeBron James as they cheer for the black players on their team?

Or was it because of the perception of the player as a person and their actions.

In Montreal, Subban can do no wrong. Sorry to say but that is not the case around the NHL.

images

images

and the banana thrown at Simmonds could have easily have been an orange which isn't racist at all. Racism doesn't exist.

Last edited:

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
If it were racism, guys like Simmonds, Okposo and Iginla would be booed as well, but they aren't. In fact, I notice a lot of fans on these boards like those players I just listed. Subban is booed because of his antics, plain and simple.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
If it were racism, guys like Simmonds, Okposo and Iginla would be booed as well, but they aren't. In fact, I notice a lot of fans on these boards like those players I just listed. Subban is booed because of his antics, plain and simple.

I disagree - Iginla isn't nearly as "black" as Subban and the other two don't have half the profile Subban does.

It doesn't matter - hockey is the last major sport to have any minorities in it, there's bound to be some issues, it's frustrating but it'll work out eventually.

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site

brondance.gif

dwight_buycks.png

austin_daye.png

demar_derozan.png

chuck_hayes.png

I don't think the analogy is germaine. Let me put it a different way: would the media and fans react the same way if Subban behaved exactly as he does but happened to be white? I don't believe so. I also don't believe myself to be narrow minded.

Sumoki Dachiba

Feb 21, 2008
Vancouver
Watch the OT goal celebration again. It was nothing. He was saluting the fans who made the trip to Ottawa and he was portrayed as a disrespectful idiot. Racism is alive and well.

This is one incident that really stands out to me and makes it hard to think that there is not some underlying racism in the coverage of PK.
Earlier in the season Galchenyuk did an almost identical celebration (kissing the CH) after scoring the game winner and no one said a peep besides Habs fans who all loved it.

Then PK does the same thing (not at home mind you, but Ottawa is practically a home game for the Habs most of the time) and gets vilified in the media for days. Then it gets brought up again when JVR mocks him and everyone acts like JVR's actions were a super awesome and justified dis on PK - 'putting him in his place' as it were. JVR had nothing to with the original incident but took it upon himself to retaliate, for those who know how to play the 'white way' I am sure. Really sad to see.

Having said that, Habs fans are just as guilty of racism against PK, witness fans in PK t-shirts dressed in black face.

Racism is alive and well in Canada and if hockey is our national game it makes sense that racism persists in it as well. Peoples' unwillingness to face this reality and discuss it openly are abetting these attitudes and perpetuating the problem.

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
So which city is the most racist in N/A?

Boston?
Chicago?
Philly?
What kind of question is that? Very silly direction to venture down if you intend on having an honest conversation about institutionalized racism. You just can't qualify racism, Philly isn't 40% more racist than Boston (or whatever), and to think so would be a huge oversight on anybody's part.

i1

Nov 10, 2011
Newfoundland
a) He's really really good
b) He's full of himself/can't shake the yapper label
c) Racism
d) Some combination of the three

HockeyF3ind

Jun 19, 2007
New York
Haters gonna hate. And haters definitely gonna hate the best Black player (dark skinned to boot) in the last major team sports not dominated by black athletes already.

sventington

Sep 18, 2013
He is disliked because he has a reputation for being mouthy, he is cocky, and he can play a bit dirty at times. I think the first part if the biggest reason he is booed. In the early going the on ice commentators were always drawing attention to that fact in spite of the fact we as fans couldn't see or hear it, similar to how we were told that Marchand was always chirping the opposing bench. I think blaming he bulk of the hate of racism is really a stretch. It might be a factor to some, but I think to others it is the simple fact that he can be a bit of a (talented) dick when on the ice.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
I disagree - Iginla isn't nearly as "black" as Subban and the other two don't have half the profile Subban does.

It doesn't matter - hockey is the last major sport to have any minorities in it, there's bound to be some issues, it's frustrating but it'll work out eventually.

This post deserves a double facepalm.:shakehead

Simmonds is just as "black" as Subban and he does not get booed.

We love Subban in Montreal.

I have Center Ice and watch the Habs games on it. One-hundred percent of the games are feeds from the opposing teams network. RDS is never played because of the language.

Some of you screaming racism need to watch more out of town feeds. The announcers are not afraid to point out that Subban was chirping the other team's bench a lot. Especially after scoring.

The other team's announcers are not afraid to say that Subban dives, he roughs up the other teams players, that Subban is afraid to fight, that he is a dirty player etc and so on.

All of this information is spoon-fed to the fans watching the feeds and you expect a different reaction? NOT ONCE has anyone said that Subban does this because he is black.

Step outside of the comfortable shell that blaming something on something gives you........especially racism when things look bad. It is an excuse.

Subban is hated outside of Montreal for the perception of his play and his antagonistic approach to players on other teams. He is polarizing for that. Not his skin color.

Burke the Legend

Feb 22, 2012
Having said that, Habs fans are just as guilty of racism against PK, witness fans in PK t-shirts dressed in black face.

Quite different to to compare widespread application of double standard to PK and these incidents. I think a lot of French-Canadians don't understand why black face is perceived to be wrong, because it was a US segregation era thing and not a major part of history here. Every year we get newspaper reports of kids at UQAM doing the same thing, and not being intentionally racist, just like halloween costumes where they are trying to dress up as jay-z or something.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
As a point to add to the basketball example, Raptor's fans in Canada used to cheer loudly for Vince Carter when he scored, but the same fans now boo him and it must be because he is black. It's because he is black, that must be it, must be no other reason.

Same for Subban, Montreal fans cheer for him when he plays hard and does his antics, but other team's fans boo him because he is black.

This "they boo him because he is black" reasoning is so shortsighted it is unreal. It is just an easy out for some people to close their eyes and just play the racism card.

Last edited:

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
As a point to add to the basketball example, Raptor's fans in Canada used to cheer loudly for Vince Carter when he scored, but the same fans now boo him and it must be because he is black. It's because he is black, that must be it, must be no other reason.

Same for Subban, Montreal fans cheer for him when he plays hard and does his antics, but other team's fans boo him because he is black.

This "they boo him because he is black" reasoning is so shortsighted it is unreal. It is just an easy out for some people to close their eyes and just play the racism card.

Nobody is saying he's booed only because he's black. People are pointing out that race plays a role in his exaggerated portrayal as a dirty player and hate figure by the media. He's held up to a higher standard. As a minority in the NHL you're expected to act like an Iginla who is an exemplary role model but it is a double standard when players like Ovechkin and Crosby can get away with things that PK would be crucified in the media for. If PK celebrated goals like Ovechkin and complained like Crosby to the refs he would be run out of the league.
On another note the NHL is the last league to have major problems with racism in North America. The banana throwing incident involving Wayne Simmonds. The racist taunts and death threats thrown at Joel Ward. Krys Barch's racist comments to PK. Evander Kane receiving racist messages and his portrayal in the media as a bad teammate for minor things. These things don't happen in other leagues and it will be dealt with at some point.

Last edited:

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013

80% of players in the NBA are black. Do you expect them to boo for entire games? Racists don't even attend NBA games, and they're mad PK is one of the best players in a "white sport".

puckeater

Dec 3, 2005
80% of players in the NBA are black. Do you expect them to boo for entire games? Racists don't even attend NBA games, and they're mad PK is one of the best players in a "white sport".

This post has to be nominated to win some sort of award. :shakehead

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad