SUBBAN.....Why do opposing fans......

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
Another victim? We're all big boys, so is PK, he's done some things that upset opposition fans, but he's black so it must be racist. You guys need to listen to yourselves.

It doesn't sound like he's being a victim at all. You sound overly defensive and are acting like a victim. There's no reason to take anything personally. What's being discussed is a very real phenomenon that exists in society today. If it makes you happy to believe racism doesn't exist then good for you but it doesn't mean that other people have to buy into your delusion and stop discussing an issue.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
If PK played baseball, basketball or football, he's be one among many and be virtually invisible. Hockey is a "white" sport and of course he stands out. Being over exuberant makes him more noticeable and he's flashy. People are just jealous he's not on their team and yeah sadly, racism plays a part.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
Maybe because Montreal fans boo more people for more different reasons than anyone so it's kind of a tit for tat situation.

Nailed it on the 8th post of the thread.

Montreal is known for its loud booing for opposing teams' players in the Bell Centre. More so than any other venue.

It is payback. Just like when the Habs are losing a road playoff game and the fans mockingly sing Na na na na, hey hey hey.

It is what it is. No need for people playing the race card. Too many black hockey players not in Montreal who are not booed.

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
You really believe the constant scrutiny and targeting on him is not at all motivated by racism.

No not motivated by racism at all, he's a polarising individual, I have no doubt that if he played for another team he would be roundly booed in Montreal. Chara is booed around the league, Chris Pronger was mercilessly booed around the league. I'd say PK is in some pretty elite company. By the way can you imagine some of the names tossed at Chara, monkey, gorilla etc. Now imagine if those names were tossed at PK.

As I said he does some things that set people off, I respect his hockey ability but at times wish he would just shut up and play, I felt the same about, Lappiere and that weasel Riberio, does that make me a racist, they all have dark hair?

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Maybe because Montreal fans boo more people for more different reasons than anyone so it's kind of a tit for tat situation.

Multi-Cultural Cities - have many good viewpoints as well as poor uneducated points, the usual ying/yang or good/evil depending of course upon equal opportunities.;):nod: A wink is as good as a nod to a blind horse.:(

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Couldn't agree more. Some people will cry racism and use it as a crutch all the time. 417 likes to play victim, apparently.

The same exact circumstance happened between Price and Fleury a couple of years back. Where Price crossed his arms in taunting fashion after a win, which garnered lots of attention. Fluery then did the same thing, and no one really cared.

You’re spewing arbitrary assumptions now. Actually it is pretty serious, not funny. If the West is so racist, then why do we have a black president, and why was Canada’s most recent Governor General a black female? Get a grip.

Here's a link to all the black players currently active in the NHL. Subban is the only one that list that ever gets booed.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_National_Hockey_League_players_of_black_African_descent

The percentage of white players versus black players that get booed is much greater for white players. When Philly and Pittsburgh both boo Crosby and Giroux, respectively, is it due to racism? No.

Also, Subban only gets booed by rival teams. Every rivalry consists of boo'ing. Get over it, it has nothing to do with racism, even though you wish it did.

From experience, it’s those who abuse the victim mentality or cry racism 24/7 are usually the true racists.

This is empirically correct. Subban is basically like Alex Burrows. People just hate them for the things they do, nothing more or less.

Subban would be the first to tell you that he is booed because of his attitude and not the color of his skin.

Take another black player for instance, Jarome Iginla, he gets nothing but respect, because he’s been a noble leader his entire career. Iginla and Subban are worlds apart, and it just proves that race has nothing to do with it..

The amount of ignorance in this thread is overwhelming...

Find me ONE post where I said that Subban gets booed because of racism or even one post that I mentioned his skin color at all...

In fact, I specifically said that the main reason he's booed is because he's such a good player, if he wasn't, no one would care

So AGAIN, what is this 'victim card' that you're accusing me of playing, being played?

I have no clue if he's booed because he's black, i'm sure for some people it may or may not play a factor...that's not really for me to say. But its just as foolish to think that race is the only, as it is to think it's not a reason at all....

This is hockey after all...a sport in which it's ok to generalize entire ethnicities with demeaning characterizations likes 'soft or lazy' and get away with it. This is a sport that some GM's openly admit to not drafting certain ethnicities due to various reasons.

Apparently you don't know the definition or the meaning of the word 'racism'...you don't have to hurl racial epithets to be racist. Any generalization of an ethnicity, can and should be considered racism...sorry, but it's true.

I also never said anything about 'The West' being racist...

I just happen to think that the majority of the world's population is in some form or another racist, at least subconsciously...I know I certainly am.

As for your Iginla vs Subban comments...that's such a simplistic way to look at a very complex situation. This isn't the venue to discuss it though, but please continue to look like a fool, I enjoy it.

Last edited:

CHwest

May 24, 2011
Be interesting to know how many of the offended tossed out a lurch or hump or hunch back in Luccic's direction when the Komosarik issue was a hot button.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
Be interesting to know how many of the offended tossed out a lurch or hump or hunch back in Luccic's direction when the Komosarik issue was a hot button.

Your trolling is brilliant. Well done.

Deluded Puck

Jun 17, 2013
London, UK
If you look the same and are humble = Great

If you look different, but are humble = Fine

If you look the same but have a large personality = Fine

If you look different and have a large personality = Problem

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

I have no idea what any of those words have to do with Lucic's race

But to play this fool's game with you..I bet a lot of people did, i've certainly called him a 'hunch back' on a handful of occasions

CHwest

May 24, 2011
I have no idea what any of those words have to do with Lucic's race

But to play this fool's game with you..I bet a lot of people did, i've certainly called him a 'hunch back' on a handful of occasions

You can't see the parallels between that and being a racist?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
You can't see the parallels between that and being a racist?

No...I can't

What does calling him a 'hunch back' have to do with his race?

And if it does? What is your point? That racism exists in hockey? Isn't that the very thing you were accusing me of doing? And playing the victim about???

Having trouble following your nonsense

Youre the one that brought up race...not me

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
If you look the same and are humble = Great

If you look different, but are humble = Fine

If you look the same but have a large personality = Fine

If you look different and have a large personality = Problem

This pretty much sums it up.

CHwest

May 24, 2011
No...I can't

What does calling him a 'hunch back' have to do with his race?

And if it does? What is your point? That racism exists in hockey? Isn't that the very thing you were accusing me of doing? And playing the victim about???

Having trouble following your nonsense

Youre the one that brought up race...not me

Nope, I started the hunch back thing with "I wonder how many of the offended" and you answered.

I'm flabbergast that you would not see the parallels of mocking someone for race and mocking someone for a physical difference.

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
We shouldn't complain much when it comes to booing since we do it to pretty much every team that comes in here to play us. We always target their star player

But I do think the Penguins fans is mostly because of an incident I don't remember if it was with Staal or Neal a few years ago

Montreal boo the the teams. Not the players except Lucic & Marchand. I can understand when Subban gets booed in Philly, Pitt, Ottawa, Toronto, Boston and to some extent Washington because they're rivals and Subbam has history but when Subban gets booed in C-Bus, Winnipeg or Edmonton, it's either because their fans are sheep or because they hate Subban for more than being a pest/dirty since Marchand and Cooke barely get booed.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Don't like Subban? RACIST! :laugh: Seriously, that's just sad. I don't like Crosby either, I guess I'm prejudiced against Canadians, huh? A lot of people in here need to get a grip. Assuming it's automatically about race demonstrates a degree of insecurity concerning racial issues. You guys are making it the focus when it's not, and that's backwards thinking.

This thread is an out of control gong-show on wheels because of that crap. You're not going to find any player who acts like a heel that isn't booed left and right.

JLP

Refugee
Aug 16, 2005
The nail that sticks up gets hammered down. There are some arenas where PK has history but in random cities I think fans boo PK because he sticks out visually, carries the puck, has attitude, just makes an easy target.

Hockey is still a redneck whitey kind of sports.

And beer is cheap in some of those arenas. Likely race is a factor not the factor but one.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Don't like Subban? RACIST! :laugh: Seriously, that's just sad. I don't like Crosby either, I guess I'm prejudiced against Canadians, huh? A lot of people in here need to get a grip. Assuming it's automatically about race demonstrates a degree of insecurity concerning racial issues. You guys are making it the focus when it's not, and that's backwards thinking.

This thread is an out of control gong-show on wheels because of that crap. You're not going to find any player who acts like a heel that isn't booed left and right.

Not everyone here is playing the race card.. I don't believe it to be the case but if it's someone's opinion that they think it plays a part in what's going on with Subban at times who are you or I to say that person is wrong?

Also what's with the laugh smiley? I've seen posts removed for trolling for similar stuff.

void

Jan 5, 2006
Not everyone here is playing the race card.. I don't believe it to be the case but if it's someone's opinion that they think it plays a part in what's going on with Subban at times who are you or I to say that person is wrong?

Also what's with the laugh smiley? I've seen posts removed for trolling for similar stuff.

Ignore him. He's a known Subban hater. He had tons of posts in the "Subban: The King of Slewfooting" thread on the main board. People kept asking the mods to close the thread but he ignored our requests and kept it open for a ridiculously long time.

Hoople

Mar 7, 2011
PK Subban is not a victim.

I do not see the need for some people to portray him as one.

PK Subban has thick skin. Too bad if other NHL cities find it necessary to boo him. He is outspoken, he sat out part of last season, he is flamboyant, he chirps a lot, he puts himself out there, he is talented, he is fancy with his skates.

He gets noticed.

In Montreal he is a saint. In other cities, he is the villain. An age old occurrence.

Pete Rose was known as Charlie Hustle in baseball. Fast, aggressive, flamboyant, talented, outspoken, WHITE. Fans of other teams booed him in almost every stadium.

Pete Rose was not a victim. PK Subban is not a victim. Players like that thrive on being the center of attention........cheers or boos.

Stop the insanity and paranoia. Please. The alluding to racism is an embarrassment.

Saintpatrick*

I know Subban plays on the edge and is a great talent, but why do fans, in many opposing venues, boo him when he carries the puck? I didn't like him at first b/c of his attitude, but he has grown up. Dude is fun to watch.

Jealousy plain and simple fans of other teams hate him but if they were on their team they would love him like we do.

Rumcajs

Jul 25, 2010
Ottawa
Montreal has a very.....annoying fan base. Not most but at least half the Montreal crowd are ridiculous with about 25 percent of those being hooligans.

Combine that with an electrifying player who consistently wear's his heart on his sleeve that is very cocky....you have the distaste.

Personally he isn't that bad and I would only boo him if he acted out (2013 playoffs).

Saintpatrick*

Ignore him. He's a known Subban hater. He had tons of posts in the "Subban: The King of Slewfooting" thread on the main board. People kept asking the mods to close the thread but he ignored our requests and kept it open for a ridiculously long time.

I told him to F off and proud of that fact. The infraction was well worth it. Mods with personal agenda's should not be mods.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
PK Subban is not a victim.

I do not see the need for some people to portray him as one.

PK Subban has thick skin. Too bad if other NHL cities find it necessary to boo him. He is outspoken, he sat out part of last season, he is flamboyant, he chirps a lot, he puts himself out there, he is talented, he is fancy with his skates.

He gets noticed.

In Montreal he is a saint. In other cities, he is the villain. An age old occurrence.

Pete Rose was known as Charlie Hustle in baseball. Fast, aggressive, flamboyant, talented, outspoken, WHITE. Fans of other teams booed him in almost every stadium.

Pete Rose was not a victim. PK Subban is not a victim. Players like that thrive on being the center of attention........cheers or boos.

Stop the insanity and paranoia. Please. The alluding to racism is an embarrassment.

It's a respect issue. He doesn't get it from the league or the media. I couldn't care less what opposing fans think of him but for a guy who won the Norris and is going to the Olympics it's not normal that he gets bashed by the media every week which is part of the reason why even fans in Nashville and Columbus hate Subban. Why he gets bashed by the media is what's up for debate. Ovechkin and Crosby were more arrogant when they broke into the league but were for the most part celebrated for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad