SUBBAN.....Why do opposing fans......

Status
Not open for further replies.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
80% of players in the NBA are black. Do you expect them to boo for entire games? Racists don't even attend NBA games, and they're mad PK is one of the best players in a "white sport".

So you are saying there are no racists at NBA games but that the NHL must be full of them since there are so many of them that boo Subban loudly. Get serious.

As well, I guess Montreal fans in general are also racist. Toronto fans cheer loudly for Nazem Kadri and his antics but Montreal fans continually boo him and complain about him because he is of Lebanese background and speaks Arabic. Right?

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
F** me, "Subban gets hate and boos because he is black"-thread, part XVIII. Seriously, Subban`s fan base is really loosing it lately. Pure comedy. :help:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Nobody is saying he's booed only because he's black. People are pointing out that race plays a role in his exaggerated portrayal as a dirty player and hate figure by the media. He's held up to a higher standard. As a minority in the NHL you're expected to act like an Iginla who is an exemplary role model but it is a double standard when players like Ovechkin and Crosby can get away with things that PK would be crucified in the media for. If PK celebrated goals like Ovechkin and complained like Crosby to the refs he would be run out of the league.
On another note the NHL is the last league to have major problems with racism in North America. The banana throwing incident involving Wayne Simmonds. The racist taunts and death threats thrown at Joel Ward. Krys Barch's racist comments to PK. Evander Kane receiving racist messages and his portrayal in the media as a bad teammate for minor things. These things don't happen in other leagues and it will be dealt with at some point.

Detail these out, else they are just your misinterpretation of what the situation actually is. Be specific, show actual quotes, not your misinterpretation of the comments.

Also, it seems that you are saying that if Subban acted like Iginla he would also be exemplified? Then I guess it isn't that Subban is black that he is getting booed since you are saying if he had different behaviour he would be exemplified by the same people that boo him now. That definitely would show he is not getting booed because he is black.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
Detail these out, else they are just your misinterpretation of what the situation actually is. Be specific, show actual quotes, not your misinterpretation of the comments.

Also, it seems that you are saying that if Subban acted like Iginla he would also be exemplified? Then I guess it isn't that Subban is black that he is getting booed since you are saying if he had different behaviour he would be exemplified by the same people that boo him now. That definitely would show he is not getting booed because he is black.

In 2012 Krys Barch chirped at PK Subban, "Did you slip on a banana peel." a linesman overheard it and deemed it a racial insult. Randy Cunneyworth, then a coach of the Canadiens complained to the league.

Evander Kane was reported as not paying for teammates meal and began to receive bad press from there. It's not common to report these type of stories. It is subtle but shows a media bias. He also told The Hockey News that he believes the league is racist and said that he has received many racist messages since he's been in the league.

I guess you already know about Simmonds and Ward.

If he acted like Iginla he would be accepted. My point was that as a black player he doesn't have the choice to act any other way. He has to act like Iginla to be accepted. If he acts like Ovechkin or Crosby he'll continue to be vilified except many times worse. It's a double standard.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa

Sigh...

I don't think i've read anyone in this thread say that Subban is booed EXCLUSIVELY because he's black.

He's booed becaused he's a great player mostly, if he sucked no one would care or notice him on the ice

HOWEVER...OUTSIDE of that issue.

The way he's viewed both in the media and amongst fans, is IMO, slightly if not heavily slanted towards a double standard.

Of course, Subban is an irritant on the the ice and that plays as much of a factor as him being a great player when it comes to fans booing him. However, some of the leagues WORST irritants (Brad Marchand, Steve Ott, Patrick Kaleta, etc) all of whom are of varying levels of importance to their team, are just as bad on the ice and guilty of questionable things as Subban is, if not MORE...since, correct me if i'm wrong, but Subban has NEVER been suspended in the NHL.

So why aren't those players booed in all arenas? Don't just name me 3 or 4 arenas where they're booed in rival cities...PK Subban is booed no matter where he goes, San Jose, Anaheim, Winnipeg, etc. It doesn't matter.

If you're telling me that as typical pests...guys like Marchand, Ott are just like Subban, which I think we can all agree with. How come they're not treated the same?

Is it exclusively because Subban is black??? OF COURSE NOT...but is it excarcerbated because he's black? One can certainly argue it.

BTW - as far as what Krys Barch said to Subban...he was suspended for 1 game because of it, now whether what Barch said was taken out of context, no one can truly know. But the league thought it was enough to take action..so....

Again, before the usual's come here and label my post as "victimizing Subban" or "playing the race card". Please UNDERSTAND...I am NOT saying that subban is booed and viewed so negatively in the NHL and amongst fans/media simply and exclusively because he is black.

I am saying, perhaps his profile (skin color, confident attitude which in hockey can come off as cocky, which is a no-go amongst bland hockey fans/media) excacerbates how he is so negatively booed.

Again...I know some players get booed in opposing arenas. Mostly rival arenas, but no one single player, not even the most dispicable one's throughout hockey's history (Kaleta, Ott, Marchment, Ulf Samuelsson, Ken Linsman) are as universally jeered in opposing arenas quite like Subban. No one can justify this...

This IS the sport of hockey after all...where fans and media open make discriminatory remarks against Euro's, why would any of you think that it would be different for anyone who doesn't fit the perfect "cookie cutter image" of what a hockey player is supposed to be.

Last edited:

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Sigh...

I don't think i've read anyone in this thread say that Subban is booed EXCLUSIVELY because he's black.

He's booed becaused he's a great player mostly, if he sucked no one would care or notice him on the ice

HOWEVER...OUTSIDE of that issue.

The way he's viewed both in the media and amongst fans, is IMO, slightly if not heavily slanted towards a double standard.

Of course, Subban is an irritant on the the ice and that plays as much of a factor as him being a great player when it comes to fans booing him. However, some of the leagues WORST irritants (Brad Marchand, Steve Ott, Patrick Kaleta, etc) all of whom are of varying levels of importance to their team, are just as bad on the ice and guilty of questionable things as Subban is, if not MORE...since, correct me if i'm wrong, but Subban has NEVER been suspended in the NHL.

So why aren't those players booed in all arenas? Don't just name me 3 or 4 arenas where they're booed in rival cities...PK Subban is booed no matter where he goes, San Jose, Anaheim, Winnipeg, etc. It doesn't matter.

If you're telling me that as typical pests...guys like Marchand, Ott are just like Subban, which I think we can all agree with. How come they're not treated the same?

Is it exclusively because Subban is black??? OF COURSE NOT...but is it excarcerbated because he's black? One can certainly argue it.

BTW - as far as what Krys Barch said to Subban...he was suspended for 1 game because of it, now whether what Barch said was taken out of context, no one can truly know. But the league thought it was enough to take action..so....

Again, before the usual's come here and label my post as "victimizing Subban" or "playing the race card". Please UNDERSTAND...I am NOT saying that subban is booed and viewed so negatively in the NHL and amongst fans/media simply and exclusively because he is black.

I am saying, perhaps his profile (skin color, confident attitude which in hockey can come off as cocky, which is a no-go amongst bland hockey fans/media) excacerbates how he is so negatively booed.

Again...I know some players get booed in opposing arenas. Mostly rival arenas, but no one single player, not even the most dispicable one's throughout hockey's history (Kaleta, Ott, Marchment, Ulf Samuelsson, Ken Linsman) are as universally jeered in opposing arenas quite like Subban. No one can justify this...

Just out of curiosity, are you black? You seem to find "black" issues where no one else finds them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad