Confirmed with Link: Subban signs with the habs! 9 million x 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010
I actually really do think he'll be the next don cherry. I've said this for a while now. Not that I would be opposed to your idea, but I can just see Subban becoming the face of hockey. Would be nice to have one who wasn't a prejudiced dinosaur...

Lol, that's as dumb as comparing Ryan Seacrest to Simon Cowell. Never going to happen. Maybe he'll replace PJ Stock but not Cherry.

There is a lot of things I don't like about Don Cherry but he is knowledgeable about hockey.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Are there any objective Defensive Stats that show PK is good defensively ?

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Lol, that's as dumb as comparing Ryan Seacrest to Simon Cowell. Never going to happen. Maybe he'll replace PJ Stock but not Cherry.

There is a lot of things I don't like about Don Cherry but he is knowledgeable about hockey.

Of course he could replace Don Cherry. What did Don Cherry ever accomplish? And what do you think Subban might accomplish by his age? And with his personality? He'd be a marketing gold mine.

lol @ pj stock, get real. The fact that Cherry is so revered just shows how desperate the hockey world is for a real personality.

PricePkPatch*

Are there any objective Defensive Stats that show PK is good defensively ?

Here's a bit from Arpon Basu's article:

Subban's greatest value to the Canadiens may be his ability to drive play toward the offensive zone. The percentage of even-strength shots attempted (Corsi-for percentage) by the Canadiens last season when Subban was on the ice compared to when he wasn't was 5.1 percent higher, 10th best among NHL defensemen, according to Extraskater.com.

That shows to what extent Subban had a positive impact on his teammates. In the past two seasons, 13 Canadiens have played a minimum of 300 even-strength minutes with Subban, and the Corsi-for percentage of each of those players dropped when they were on the ice without him, according to stats.hockeyanalysis.com.

The average decline in Corsi-for percentage of those 13 players when they played without Subban was 4.4 percent, but some of Montreal's best players had drops more significant than that: David Desharnais, Max Pacioretty and Lars Eller dipped by 5 percent or more.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Of course he could replace Don Cherry. What did Don Cherry ever accomplish? And what do you think Subban might accomplish by his age? And with his personality? He'd be a marketing gold mine.

lol @ pj stock, get real. The fact that Cherry is so revered just shows how desperate the hockey world is for a real personality.

To Montreal maybe, but nation wide not so much.

Frozenice

No Reverse Gear
Jan 1, 2010

Your confusing two very different things. Understanding hockey and being a hockey talent are two very different things.

Just because Don Cherry is a Grade A ******* doesn't change the fact that Don Cherry understands hockey and is very knowledgeable about hockey. In this regard you aren't only kinda wrong but completely in the wrong.

I don't see PK ever being a hockey mind. He can be a very presentable face of the NHL and work in the NHL for many years to come but not for his brains, it's just not there.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Your confusing two very different things. Understanding hockey and being a hockey talent are two very different things.

Just because Don Cherry is a Grade A ******* doesn't change the fact that Don Cherry understands hockey and is very knowledgeable about hockey. In this regard you aren't only kinda wrong but completely in the wrong.

I don't see PK ever being a hockey mind. He can be a very presentable face of the NHL and work in the NHL for many years to come but not for his brains, it's just not there.

:laugh:

heard a quote recently that i think is apt (from an interview process):

"Candidate has 25 years of experience... yes, but is it 25 years of experience, or 25 x 1 year of experience?"

Don Cherry understands hockey in the "25 x1" sense. Just because one is exposed to something for a long time, even experiences it at a high level, doesn't mean they truly understand it.

I've rarely heard anything come out of Cherry's mouth that reflected a deep understanding of the game... if anything, he has a great understanding of the personalities around the game, of a very narrow part of the culture of the game, and is a very good storyteller.

as far as actual hockey knowledge? from having had hockey conversations with both, i'd suggest that PK has a much deeper understanding of the game of hockey, and it's not even close.

Halifaxhab*

:laugh:

heard a quote recently that i think is apt (from an interview process):

"Candidate has 25 years of experience... yes, but is it 25 years of experience, or 25 x 1 year of experience?"

Don Cherry understands hockey in the "25 x1" sense. Just because one is exposed to something for a long time, even experiences it at a high level, doesn't mean they truly understand it.

I've rarely heard anything come out of Cherry's mouth that reflected a deep understanding of the game... if anything, he has a great understanding of the personalities around the game, of a very narrow part of the culture of the game, and is a very good storyteller.

as far as actual hockey knowledge? from having had hockey conversations with both, i'd suggest that PK has a much deeper understanding of the game of hockey, and it's not even close.

Cherry is like watching an hfboards poster live. He says tons of random stuff, and the one or two times he's right, hell playback his "quote" smugly as if to say because he was right once, he's always right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad