Confirmed with Link: Subban signs with the habs! 9 million x 8 years

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

All credit to the GM and none to the players and coaching staff? :laugh::laugh:

Credit to the GM who managed to assemble the team
Credit to the Coach who managed to get them there
Credit to the players who actually achieved it.

Not sure what's so damn hard to understand.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
So, MB handled this entire thing properly? From bridge deal to now? Really? It's the media?

Not surprised. People like to look at the end result and that's it. PK is signed, therefore, MB was masterful in his ability to engineer a wonderful deal! :shakehead

The problem is the extremes on both ends.
MB is brilliant, played it perfectly. Subban was greedy and finally caved.
MB is an idiot and handled it all wrong. Molson forced him to fix his mistake.

It was a negotiation. Both sides moved from their starting positions to make a deal. There's a compelling case to be made that MB had to do more of the moving than Meehan, but since we will likely never know the exact numbers it will remain nothing more than a compelling case.

I get that it's a hockey board and that people here are programed to expect that each scenario brings one winner and one loser, but it doesn't always work that way.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Question now is...."To continue or not"? Another PK thread boys? :D

mikeysvette

Go Seadogs!
Mar 31, 2011
Saint John
So, MB handled this entire thing properly? From bridge deal to now? Really? It's the media?

Not surprised. People like to look at the end result and that's it. PK is signed, therefore, MB was masterful in his ability to engineer a wonderful deal! :shakehead

The thing is we will never get the hard evidence of the negotiations, it's all speculation from the media. That's what makes MB or PK look bad. What, you want MB just to give PK $12AAV or something from the get go?? Common! Go ask your boss for double AAV and see what he says to that! If the 5-5.5AAV number is true then yea thats a total low-ball offer but we will never know for sure. They settled on a number, whats the big deal...

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Holly Ninja. When did I say anything about Subban or Meehan being right and MB being wrong?

I will give you the prototype of Internet discussion board discussion, this is also the reason I will avoid any debate with my ex BPD girl friend.

Me: Here's a though on this subject...
You: Wrong, here's a reason...
Me: Okay but what you've just said has nothing to do with my though on this subject. What I said was...
You: But we don't know it's true, it could be anything...
Me: It was a though based on certain things...
You: It could be this and that too, we don't know...
Me: Of course we don't know, it was intelligent guesses. Here's another reason why...
You: Yeah...but you're said this which is not true, this could be anything, here's another scenario to prove my point (with a weak argument).
Me: Holly Ninja! I never said that...

The whole point was how, this time, Meehan and Subban had all the leverage and there's little MB could have done to win his points. They are all rights in theirs perspectives. This is a simple negotiation process where's one side simply has upper hand on the other.

The length of the contract was never really a subject. There were some speculations here and there on Subban wanted a shorter to maximize his next one but nothing in the past until this point showed Subban was against the Max length.

Any saint adviser on economic subject will tell you to aim for the guarantee money and not the most optimistic scenario which is controlled, influenced by numbers of unknown events, risks etc. I can hardly believe that a real issue was in play on the term. If it ever was, it was simply because we couldn't agree on a money value. Max contract makes sense for both sides.

'un tiens vaut mieux que deux tu l'auras'

I will end it here because, I know, it could be anything. Maybe I will talk to Subban next time he's in town when we have our charity events at chez Parée. Until that day, we are both right and wrong :yo:

bang on both on the MB/PK situation, and the sad posting trends...

MB misplayed his hand and caused an unecessary arbitration hearing. too much pride not enough saavy.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
The problem is the extremes on both ends.
MB is brilliant, played it perfectly. Subban was greedy and finally caved.
MB is an idiot and handled it all wrong. Molson forced him to fix his mistake.

It was a negotiation. Both sides moved from their starting positions to make a deal. There's a compelling case to be made that MB had to do more of the moving than Meehan, but since we will likely never know the exact numbers it will remain nothing more than a compelling case.

I get that it's a hockey board and that people here are programed to expect that each scenario brings one winner and one loser, but it doesn't always work that way.

really? do you know this as fact?

what is fact is that the habs took PK to arbitration.
It is fact that Subban got an 8-year deal @ 9M$/per

speculation is just speculation... but common sense and context would strongly suggest that if the habs put that same deal on the table anytime before friday, it gets signed without needing to do the whole arbitration thing and without drawing the scrutiny and attention of the entire hockey world.

avoiding the media circus and amplified focus on PK's new deal among the pundits alone were good reasons to get a deal done quickly/easily/quietly... forget about the part of sitting infront of the player and cutting him apart.

all of it was totally unecessary.

I put money on the speculation that it was Molson who told MB to suck it up and make the deal happen, it was always in the organization' best interest, both publicly and on-ice.

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
Credit to the GM who managed to assemble the team
Credit to the Coach who managed to get them there
Credit to the players who actually achieved it.

Not sure what's so damn hard to understand.

OK...as long as he gets blamed when players regress, have bad stretches and the coach makes a dumb decision...right?

I find it hard to blame or credit a GM fot things he has little to no control over.

This ENTIRE thing was unnecessary and that falls squarely on the GM. But now that is all forgotten.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
But I thought Bergie was a visionary, moneyball genius? PK got signed, which I'm happy about, but I have no idea why we had to go through all of this for a $9M deal. We're lucky PK didn't take things personally. I wouldn't blame him. From the bridge deal/lowball to this, I'd say MB was trying his best to get him out of town.

Softball deals to lesser players but play hardball with stars only to get bent over after going to arbitration? I wouldn't be surprised if someone (Molson?) put pressure on MB to get a deal done because none of this makes sense.

That's how I feel (the above).

Happy, but...still scratching my head a bit...wondering what really happened!! (did Molson get involved to push Bergevin aside since Bergevin may have been ****ing everything up...?? we'll never know??).

hockeyfan2k11

Jun 11, 2011
The thing is we will never get the hard evidence of the negotiations, it's all speculation from the media. That's what makes MB or PK look bad. What, you want MB just to give PK $12AAV or something from the get go?? Common! Go ask your boss for double AAV and see what he says to that! If the 5-5.5AAV number is true then yea thats a total low-ball offer but we will never know for sure. They settled on a number, whats the big deal...

You really think $9M was the original offer and PK turned it down? You think all of this hoopla was necessary? Did PK demand $12M? I doubt it. Are we here if the bridge contract wasn't forced? Are we here if PK isn't making peanuts the last 2 seasons? I highly, highly doubt it. MB isn't a victim here. I'd say he created a lot of this. I just don't understand how arbitration was necessary. Maybe some info will come out in the coming days but it just doesn't make sense.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006
I wonder...

Maybe it's not Habs brass that brought PK to arbitration, maybe PK brought himself to arbitration since he's said to have found it very educational.

I wouldn't be surprised, PK has a pretty sharp business mind.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
I wonder...

Maybe it's not Habs brass that brought PK to arbitration, maybe PK brought himself to arbitration since he's said to have found it very educational.

I wouldn't be surprised, PK has a pretty sharp business mind.

PK is going to have a brilliant career once his hockey playing days are over. The sky is the limit with him, I really hope he stays on as an analyst or something. He should get Don Cherry's job! Haha

Oct 22, 2012
Was on the road all day yesterday, so when I got to relax in the ferry terminal at Cribou Nova Scotia, the first thing I see is Bobby Mac tweeting a deal is imminent. When the deal was finally announced I couldn't contain myself, considering I spent better part of the morning complaining about the situation.

That's how I feel (the above).

Happy, but...still scratching my head a bit...wondering what really happened!! (did Molson get involved to push Bergevin aside since Bergevin may have been ****ing everything up...?? we'll never know??).

We will know eventually, wheter down the road or sooner, but doesn't matter. We are finally playing a player north of 7 mil whose name doesn't rhyme with nogoalmez

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
PK is going to have a brilliant career once his hockey playing days are over. The sky is the limit with him, I really hope he stays on as an analyst or something. He should get Don Cherry's job! Haha

I hope he becomes our next GM ;)

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I hope he becomes our next GM ;)

I actually really do think he'll be the next don cherry. I've said this for a while now. Not that I would be opposed to your idea, but I can just see Subban becoming the face of hockey. Would be nice to have one who wasn't a prejudiced dinosaur...

PricePkPatch*

I actually really do think he'll be the next don cherry. I've said this for a while now. Not that I would be opposed to your idea, but I can just see Subban becoming the face of hockey. Would be nice to have one who wasn't a prejudiced dinosaur...

Man, id watch his show every night..

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
really? do you know this as fact?

what is fact is that the habs took PK to arbitration.
It is fact that Subban got an 8-year deal @ 9M$/per

speculation is just speculation... but common sense and context would strongly suggest that if the habs put that same deal on the table anytime before friday, it gets signed without needing to do the whole arbitration thing and without drawing the scrutiny and attention of the entire hockey world.

avoiding the media circus and amplified focus on PK's new deal among the pundits alone were good reasons to get a deal done quickly/easily/quietly... forget about the part of sitting infront of the player and cutting him apart.

all of it was totally unecessary.
Agree on all counts. Pretty clear that they caved in here. It was the right thing to do but they should've done this a lot earlier.
I put money on the speculation that it was Molson who told MB to suck it up and make the deal happen, it was always in the organization' best interest, both publicly and on-ice.
Maybe. If so, then we've got an owner to be proud of.

One thing's for sure, this whole thing was going off the rails before common sense prevailed. I certainly don't see Meehan calling the Habs back after that arbitration hearing. Whether it was Molson or MB, somebody wised up at the last minute to avert disaster. And the end result is 9 million dollars. That sure doesn't seem like Subban caved here at all.
Man, id watch his show every night..
He could wear his money suit. :laugh:

vfactor

Dec 8, 2009
Montreal
I think people is blind by an original support for a side which will make them look for evident to support without regarding to the actual events (read between the lines).

It's pretty obvious. Listen to PK the last two days who did all the nice talking and control damage (reconciliation ?) and we know who's the 'winner' this round. I always show a lot of compassion when I don't need any for myself. Two years ago, Subban did say similar things? Two years ago, who did more talking to the media and who needed swallow the pill?

I am a huge Subban supporter and I really disliked the way Subban was treated at the beginning last season and the way MB talked about how they made him the Norris winner. I thought it was not professional and I thought they didn't build the right relationship with their star player since the beginning, it was 'confrontation' rather then 'collaboration', 'challenged' (all the time) and no 'support'. I was sincerely scared that we may loose Subban as soon as occasion presents. Fortunately, Subban seems to have a very good head on his shoulder and his passion playing for Montreal seems to be more than nice words.

This time around, I didn't even need to comment during the process, it was clear that the Habs either, cave in or do something....stupid. Well the fear was there since we don't know Subban state of mind on the subject. At the end, the price was very reasonable and we close a case. A process that I feel will not go into 'GM for dummies' anytime soon. Case in point, let see if other young studs head to arbitration every summer.

Mistakes were made and it's ok to find positives out of it but you can't use that to evaluate how the job gets done.

Could it be better? Yes.
Easily? Probably.
Why? Look around you.
Anything positive out of it? Of course, it's done.

Matter of facts, I can argue the two nuclear bombs dropped in Japan at the end of WWII was the right process to follow. I will change side when I face a Ninja though.

PS: I dislike the way PK is getting too 'politically correct' here :) I love PK and hope he remains mostly natural.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004

He clearly has a future in communications after his hockey career.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

I really doubt that. The marketing department for hockey TV media would probably go with a more subtle approach now and they would use somebody more like Sid Crosby, Canada's boy but who played in the US. Covers both US and Canada sides.

crazyd

Canada is hockey
Jul 2, 2006

8 more years of Cherry?!?! I like the old goofball but no way he can still do his bit for 8 more years.

Guess we'll have to have a "bridge" commentator until PK fill's the seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad