Subban Contract Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003
Yea he's my favourite player but if he's asking for something like 10 mil per year than I agree with Bergevin here.

He's my favourite player too. I would sign him at 10M, but if that's his ask I 100% understand why this process is going the way it has.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
I'm for French players. I'm for local players. I would gladly overpay for Claudr Giroux or Bergeron. I'm on the "Franco" side of this issue.

But you and I both know that Subban wouldn't have gone to arbitration had he been a local.

What a load crap.

There's already enough BS in this thread without that being added on top.

uiCk

Jan 20, 2009
MTL
Both sides are going to lose, that's the one thing a lot of PK fans don't realize. Everybody walks the plank on this one.

PK can go play for better run organizations with proper rosters, i doubt PK will lose , if anything he can gain more, and he knows it. To bad MB is fking dumb and can't see 1 foot in front of him

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Let sign him to a max term max amount contract so that we can have another work stoppage. I'm all for market value, but these ridiculous deals are the reason that we keep having these lockouts. Not saying Subban's contract demands are ridiculous, but it seems we never learn from past mistakes and we keep giving out contracts that don't help the league as whole.

borisbadenough

Mar 25, 2013
You haven't been one to overreact in years past, Frogurt, but this is one instance.

Subban is represented by the same agency and agents that have driven Ryan O'Reilly and the Avalanche's relationship into the ground, and nearly did the same with Drew Doughty and the Kings.

Before or after they made Drew one of the highest paid defensemen in the game?

skipp18

Oct 18, 2006
Montreal
Imagine what kind of team they can build with a top 5 Dman in the league locked up long term at 5millions a year, top 3 goalie 6.5 and 40 goals scorer at 4.5. No matter what he does in the future, Bergevin will always be remember for the guy who pass on that deal just like Gainey will always be remember for the Gomez deal!!

So true. Everyone knew that bridge deal was a mistake, except for the Habs management.
It all comes down to believing ( or not believing) in Subban's talent and ability.
Subban has receives the message(s) from the Habs brass that they do not value him as much as he thinks they do. Eventually PK will go to another team that DOES value him.

TravisF

Jul 11, 2011
www.artbreak.com
P.K is the most talented Canadiens player i've seen in over a decade. I can't believe this nonsense!

10561552_10154426928450527_8162779885446454673_n.jpg

WhiskeySeven*

Expect the expected
Jun 17, 2007
What a load crap.

There's already enough BS in this thread without that being added on top.
The Desharnais contract and Subban situation two years ago tell me otherwise.

Go on and tell me about Price's high glove hand though, I seem to remember you were an expert goaltender.

FinnHab

May 24, 2006
overseas...
Stop reading/posting, nobody cares how you feel about what is to be expected in a subban thread after management failed to get our best player under contract.

Of course u dont care any posters opinions when Subban aint blindly worshipped. No surprises here.

smirob

Jun 2, 2014
Here's how I look at this situation;

IF Bergevin overpayed Subban (long term), most fans would be completely ok with it (As would I)
IF Bergevin loses Subban for nothing, there will be riots

IF he is signed to 1 yr deal through arbitration, does anybody think there is anything to salvage here? Or is a trade on the way/

Simarino

Oct 21, 2009
MB's job is not easy but if you're a GM, you NEED to lock your main players. And MB dropped the ball on this one and has been documented with the way he has managed PK with the bridge contract, and again with re-signing him. We are at strike two. Strike three you're out.

When it comes to star players, no matter sport, you don't play around and gamble with them. You lock them up.

How much is too much!!?? Where do you draw the line!!?? You gotta to draw the line somewhere i guess!!?? The problem is that you got no leverage at all since he can be a ufa in 2 years and will get offer a the max value contract from half the team in the league prob.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
So true. Everyone knew that bridge deal was a mistake, except for the Habs management.
It all comes down to believing ( or not believing) in Subban's talent and ability.
Subban has receives the message(s) from the Habs brass that they do not value him as much as he thinks they do. Eventually PK will go to another team that DOES value him.

Everyone does not include 417 to MTL.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
The situation is obviously disappointing but I'd really like to know what Bergevin offered as long term deal to Subban before jumping to the conclusion that he low balled him.

I also think Subban's popularity, which is bigger than his impact on the ice is IMHO, probably played a huge role in the negociations. He allows the habs to generate a lot of additional revenues because of his name recognition and him and his agent probably believe it entitles him to a bigger salary than he would get if he was less popular but just as good.

On the other hand, I believe Bergevin just use his play on the ice as the measuring stick for his salary while conviniently staying silent on the additionnal revenues he brings to the team.

Still, jersey sales and promotional material sales are great for the team's finance but it doesn't help the team to win since the team has a limited budget due to cap restriction and unfortunately, that budget isn't affected by promotional products sales.

I also would like to know what Subban is asking and if he bases his demand partially on what I've just said.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
No bridge deal = more expensive deal in 3 years than anything he could possibly get now + Subban's UFA when deal over, if 5.5 x 5 is really what he wanted.

The bridge kinda screws MB for the next three years. But that's really it.
You're never ''screwed'' by signing a Norris winner.

The bridge deal was a stupid decision, and had PK signed a deal totaling 27.5M on top of his ELC, then he's more likely to negotiate in good faith.

It was a stupid decision then, and it's even more obvious now.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
Why can Pitt sign Crosby, Chi sign Toews and Kane, LAK sign Doughty, all without going to arbitration?

Montreal will still sell out their games regardless of what players the ice and how well the team does. When Crosby was drafted by Pittsburgh they weren't doing that great financially, same with Chicago before drafting Toews and Kane. Those players are a big reason their clubs have success.

People say they'll stop watching if Subban leaves, but it won't happen. Montreal will still sell out every game.

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Yes the habs are a rich team with a lot of revenue but looking a Molson net worth he is rich but not even in top 10 of richest owners.Also there are many partners who own habs and there could be serious arguements going on behind the scene among the owners.I just went through a french business journal and they discussed what could be going on among canadiens partners

Evecey

Jul 30, 2014
Halifax, NS
I really don't understand why people just throw out numbers and say "just sign him at this much and be done with it." How do you know that would get it done? How do you know it hasn't been offered?

I've seen people say the exact same thing at anything from 8-10.5M a year.

I don't know and you know that. I think your getting caught up in an arbitrary number and missing the point.

Edit the post to say the max...13.8 million over 8 years, the absolute most he can get right now.

The point was A) He is a special player, bordering on generational and B) Show him the money and stop dicking around with him.

PM23

Sep 27, 2009
Ottawa
That was pretty much the consensus earlier in the offseason, right? I don't undertand why he would be worth more or less now...
I think he's asking more than that. With the Toews and Kane deal, I'm thinking he's asking in the range of 9-10.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Everyone does not include 417 to MTL.

Look up my posts on the subject...I supported the bridge deal on the premise that they would sign PK Subban to a long term extension following it's conclusion

This obviously hasn't happened....

I can no longer support that decision...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad