Subban Contract Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
We should just follow yesterday P.K advice and chill out. The guy is going to make for sure twice the pay he was making last season. So much worry for a millionnaire paying a sport . In the meantime, in the Middle East and in the heart of Africa....

Cry cry cry... gimme a break. These countries have their own problem to solve themselves.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
I hope the arbitrator awards subban his ask of 8.5 so bergevin might get it through his thick skull that subban is an elite player.

SAKS AVENUE

Oct 12, 2008
Maybe both parties have a long term deal in place, and have agreed to go with the third party arbitration to lock down a number to build the deal off of. I don't think that's a bad idea. PK knows his shortcomings, I don't think he'll be terribly hurt if The Habs brass brings up some valid points in the hearing. Once they get the magic number they'll plug the numbers in and move on.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
You don't have to spin it this way. You just have to say why you think he's worth what you offer based on comparables and stats. The player does the same, the arbitrator decides. I doubt MB will go in there and say that PK sucks.

You also have to argue why he isn't worth what the other party is arguing. That's the main reason teams don't go to arbitration. Comparable contracts are one contract, but you have to also justify why they aren't worth what the other party claims, and that's based on performance.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal
It all depends if you think 8.5 million for a one RFA year is more reasonable that 5.25. Perfectly down the middle seems reasonable no?

No. Shea Weber got something like 7.5M and that was 3 years ago. And he didn't have a Norris to his resume.

The ruling, if it gets there, will be much closer to 8.5M than to 5.25M.

Church

The last lion
Mar 26, 2010
Montreal, QC
I hope the arbitrator awards subban his ask of 8.5 so bergevin might get it through his thick skull that subban is an elite player.

I'm not putting the blame on either parties, but maybe it's what they both waited for to settle a deal. They want to see what the arbitrator values Subban for and from there they'll work something within the 48h they are allowed to do so.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Maybe both parties have a long term deal in place, and have agreed to go with the third party arbitration to lock down a number to build the deal off of. I don't think that's a bad idea. PK knows his shortcomings, I don't think he'll be terribly hurt if The Habs brass brings up some valid points in the hearing. Once they get the magic number they'll plug the numbers in and move on.

Only problem is... Once the arbitrator gives a number, you can no longer sign that contract...

Jack de la Hoya

Jun 30, 2011
Texas

I can't see how. The arbitrator will only be deciding Subban's value on a one-year deal as an RFA.

Only problem is... Once the arbitrator gives a number, you can no longer sign that contract...

I assume he means in January?

yianik

Jun 30, 2009
Very disappointed.

For people throwing out the no player is bigger than the team stuff, that is the logic that was used when the Habs turfed out Roy. That worked out well.

Our last few GMs have set back this team by the death of a thousand cuts ( throwing away prospects, draft picks , young players ) and making mega blunder trades.

I have been pretty happy with MB. Very careful approach. Very mindful of the value of draft picks and big on developing and keeping our prospects and young players. He has seemed very aware of not making a big mistake that could cripple the team.

I know a line must be drawn on money. But, for me, if PK Subban is looking for less than $10M per on a long term deal its pretty much easy to sign him. Yes , $9-9.5M
per is a lot, but having to trade him will result in a worse team than having a million or million and a half less to spend. Although who knows, maybe MB has $7M as his top dollar.

MB made a mistake doing the bridge deal since it left PK able to go to arbitration for his remaining RFA years, giving the Habs 0 leverage.

I fear that MB is in the process of making the mega blunder mistake we have so gotten used to being made by our GMs.

Hope we have late breaking positive news, but I am doubtful, just like last time I am guessing MB has dug in and wont budge. No leverage this time around though MB, he is driving us off a cliff and wont change direction.

prairie hab

Jul 4, 2007
SK
I'm not putting the blame on either parties, but maybe it's what they both waited for to settle a deal. They want to see what the arbitrator values Subban for and from there they'll work something within the 48h they are allowed to do so.

Once an arbitrator rules on case, you have to comply with that number/term.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
Very disappointed.

For people throwing out the no player is bigger than the team stuff, that is the logic that was used when the Habs turfed out Roy. That worked out well.

Our last few GMs have set back this team by the death of a thousand cuts ( throwing away prospects, draft picks , young players ) and making mega blunder trades.

I have been pretty happy with MB. Very careful approach. Very mindful of the value of draft picks and big on developing and keeping our prospects and young players. He has seemed very aware of not making a big mistake that could cripple the team.

I know a line must be drawn on money. But, for me, if PK Subban is looking for less than $10M per on a long term deal its pretty much easy to sign him. Yes , $9-9.5M
per is a lot, but having to trade him will result in a worse team than having a million or million and a half less to spend. Although who knows, maybe MB has $7M as his top dollar.

MB made a mistake doing the bridge deal since it left PK able to go to arbitration for his remaining RFA years, giving the Habs 0 leverage.

I fear that MB is in the process of making the mega blunder mistake we have so gotten used to being made by our GMs.

Hope we have late breaking positive news, but I am doubtful, just like last time I am guessing MB has dug in and wont budge. No leverage this time around though MB, he is driving us off a cliff and wont change direction.

No such logic existed. Roy wanted out of the team and waited for a reason to save face to ask for a trade. The fact that people still act like Roy didn't turn his back on the CH shows it worked.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013

$8.5M ... plus the standard 15% Quebec tax for aggravation ... to get $8.5M * 115% = $9.775M.

Arbitrator then gets to charge the standard 10% Quebec corruption fee.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

Although, who knows, maybe Subban has $14 million as his bottom dollar.

The key phrase in both of these sentences is who knows, because none of us do. I get that people feel the need to be mad at someone over this, and since we're all Subban fans (well, most of us here) the logical person to be mad it is MB, but without knowing the details that seems very premature. If it comes out that in fact MB's top offer was 7M, or 8M and Subban was asking 8.5 or something, then I'll be on the side of all of the hysterical posters here talking about how MB "failed."

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I'm shocked that they are actually in arbitration.

Uncharted waters. Anything can happen now.

MaKi

Marschak's #1 Fan
Apr 13, 2007
Marschak's Bandwagon
Just out of curiosity, if subban's contract is awarded through arbitration and the Habs choose a 1 year deal, what happens next summer?
Obviously they try to negotiate again, but if it goes to arbitration next summer it will have to be the team that files for it right?
In that case, if it goes to arbitration initiated by the team next summer and it goes to the arbitrators decision again, does Subban have the choice to walk away from that decision and become UFA next summer?

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Well weber went to arbitration too. Doesn't mean I'm a fan but it's not new.

I'm curious what subban wants for 8 years. 8.5 for one but how much for 8? 8-8.5X8 is fine by me. It's like kessel deal but a bit more.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
Just out of curiosity, if subban's contract is awarded through arbitration and the Habs choose a 1 year deal, what happens next summer?
Obviously they try to negotiate again, but if it goes to arbitration next summer it will have to be the team that files for it right?
In that case, if it goes to arbitration initiated by the team next summer and it goes to the arbitrators decision again, does Subban have the choice to walk away from that decision and become UFA next summer?

"Teams can also ask for salary arbitration. But a player can be taken to arbitration only once in his career, and can never receive less than 85 per-cent of his previous year's salary. There are no such restrictions on the number of times a player can ask for arbitration, or the size of the salary awarded."

PK can ask again next year as well. The results are the same though, the team can accept or walk away ... and PK can accept or sit out and not play for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad