Subban Contract Talk VII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
It's just very odd...

Subban, and this isn't just related to the contract negotiations, just seems to have to live up to completely different standards then everyone else.

There seems to be a need for people in hockey to always single him out...

This was troubling during the bridge deal. I could give Bergevin a pass because maybe he didn't know him. But as I said before, they had a year to get a deal done, the fact they let it go as far as it has (or even a week or two ago) is ridiculous.

ssmtl1

Jul 16, 2014
Montreal
And I think that is why they have no fear of blowback by fans, because they are locked into 21,273.

Saving 500k or 1 mill goes directly to the bottom line.

You think this is to save money directed at the bottom line? Seriously? This team will spend to the cap for more depth. smh

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
As some of us have said all along. I don't understand how I, and some others around here, knew what Subbans potential was, and yet paid hockey minds couldn't see it. Before Subban signed his bridge deal, I said on these forums that he would win a Norris in the next three years. He did it that very year. I love the habs, but I am not really the greatest judge of hockey talent. But how was it so obvious to me and not to habs management? It just doesn't make sense.

Again, I understood the bridge deal at the time...but I always thought that when Subban went out and did everything that was asked of him. The organization would reward his commitment the same way they did with Price and Pacioretty.

Apparently, and I guess I can't say this 100% because no one knows what he's asking for in negotiations, but the Habs and Bergevin had to know that because he left some money on the table 2 years ago, that he'd be asking for their same commitment going forward.

The fact they haven't is quite troubling to me...

If they don't believe in him, they surely don't use him in such a way.

Varlan

Nov 26, 2009
Yes. He deserves it and he's worth it.

Agreed, this is not the way to treat your best player, and probably the best defencmen we've seen in some of these kiddos life time.

Throw money at him, figure out cap stuff later. More than likely the cap going up anyway.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
True, but that doesn't mean he needs to make another mistake by just agreeing to whatever Subban wants.

Admitting the initial mistake and limiting the damage by overpaying Subban on a long term deal is not a mistake.

The mistake would be to not get a long term deal done, and let Subban sign his qualification offer next summer and be an UFA in 2 years.

Thankfully, we can start this whole process again next january..or make a last ditch effort before sunday morning. Discussions should not be over. If Meehan/Subban say they are, it's up to MB to re-open them.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
insert all the sarcasm you want Kriss E...I've conceded you were right before, and I am again. The bridge deal, now I can admit was a colossal mistake and miscalculation by Bergevin, as he seemingly isn't convinced by the 2 tremendous seasons he had.

But I never claimed negotiations were going well...so not sure what the point of that comment was other than to beat your chest...

To each his own I guess...

I will say that you said they could just be ironing out details. However you kept saying I was spreading out fear but I was just noticing a weird process. As I said, they had a year to get this done. You shouldn't wait until the last minute to sign your Norris Dman. Those were red flags to me.

In any event, it's all good buddy. Glad you're seeing it as I am.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Desharnais is a 55-60 pts center making 3.5M... Incredible how much we overpaid. MUST BE BECAUSE HE SPEAKS FRENCH. :shakehead

How about Emelin getting 3.5M ? Must be because he speaks french.. oh wait..

It's about the market. Why give DD a 3.5 million contract when you have him on his last RFA year. Were the habs really worried that DD would be snatched up by a team for 5 million? 3.5 for a one dimensional, small forward is quite significant.

Subban on the other hand, if he was a UFA, would have at least half the teams in the NHL bidding for him.

CrAzYNiNe

who could have predicted?
Jun 5, 2003
Montreal
Again, I understood the bridge deal at the time...but I always thought that when Subban went out and did everything that was asked of him. The organization would reward his commitment the same way they did with Price and Pacioretty.

Apparently, and I guess I can't say this 100% because no one knows what he's asking for in negotiations, but the Habs and Bergevin had to know that because he left some money on the table 2 years ago, that he'd be asking for their same commitment going forward.

The fact they haven't is quite troubling to me...

If they don't believe in him, they surely don't use him in such a way.

Agreed. I never liked the bridge deal, but maybe something good could have come from it. Not anymore.

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Partly related, but if the Canadian economy goes south (almost no net job creation in like 8 months, potential housing bubble bursting), and the CAD crumbles (say to 80c), the NHL could face negative revenue growth in USD. I don't know how everyone is SOOOO optimistic about the growth path of the salary cap. The post 2005 lockout revenue growth was in part impacted by a strong loonie, and most would expect the reverse scenario in the future.

I don't know all the implications from the Rogers' deal, but when 6 of your 10 most profitable teams could face these challenges, I can't help but feel the NHL bottom line projections are inflated.

And you've offered the other side of the coin where it makes it really difficult to come to a long term deal.

But like you I don't know the exact implications of the rogers deal, or potential expansions...

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
I keep asking myself; what's being gained by the Habs here? A million and a half on the cap? Two millions and a half?
If so, is it worth it? This is bizarre. It goes against the way I rationalized this situation from the beginning.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I will say that you said they could just be ironing out details. However you kept saying I was spreading out fear but I was just noticing a weird process. As I said, they had a year to get this done. You shouldn't wait until the last minute to sign your Norris Dman. Those were red flags to me.

In any event, it's all good buddy. Glad you're seeing it as I am.

Again Kriss E...I said it the other day, I said it 10 mins ago and i'll say it again.

You were right, I was wrong. The bridge deal was a colossal miscalculation by the Habs and they have a real evaluation problem with PK Subban.

Seems they don't think he's worth it (even though their usage of him tells you otherwise).

A very troubling and unsettling situations

Now you can keep beating me over the head with your club or help me up with it lol your choice

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
Bergevin created this scenario with his bridge deal.

The bridge deal didn't create anything. It was a first move, that's all. Like a first move in chess, it only becomes good or bad depending on the follow-up move and the final result.

If the bridge deal was part of a strategy to follow-up with a fair long-term contract, it would've accomplished securing Subban into his 30s. Agree with it or not, it's a valid way of locking up a core player.

On the other hand, if the bridge deal was symptomatic of an organization that refuses to pay elite players elite salaries, then we have a serious problem. Forget about keeping any of the stars we develop.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
Yes. He deserves it and he's worth it.

I disagree, he certainly doesn't deserve to be the leagues highest paid player and he might worth it when taking everything into account but unfortunately, with the salary cap, I believe impact on the ice should be the main thing you use to evaluate a player's value . 8 x 13.5 M $ would be a crazy deal that seriously jeopardize the habs chances at resigning other up and coming players.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
Again Kriss E...I said it the other day, I said it 10 mins ago and i'll say it again.

You were right, I was wrong. The bridge deal was a colossal miscalculation by the Habs and they have a real evaluation problem with PK Subban.

Seems they don't think he's worth it (even though their usage of him tells you otherwise).

A very troubling and unsettling situations

Now you can keep beating me over the head with your club or help me up with it lol your choice

No it's all good brah!

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
lame shop wrong side bro

Bt-F6uRCYAAM6ER.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad