Subban Contract Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is mostly how I feel. At a certain point you have to start wondering why an organization seems to have so much trouble with an ideal player.

It's not really the end of the world, but it's worrying.

Should not be this complicated to lock up your best player long term. Bergevin s legacy could end up being the guy who screwed us out of subban... Gainey, despite what good he did do, will always be remembered as the moron who moved mcdonagh.

Bergevin won't last if he loses a second Norris trophy calibre in 5 seasons for the Habs

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I know a lot of talk has been about MB and co. not getting the job done here but what if PK is looking for 9.5M+ a season? Are people really comfortable with a 10M caphit for PK? I mean he's a really good player, but that good? I don't believe so.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Should not be this complicated to lock up your best player long term. Bergevin s legacy could end up being the guy who screwed us out of subban... Gainey, despite what good he did do, will always be remembered as the moron who moved mcdonagh.

Bergevin won't last if he loses a second Norris trophy calibre in 5 seasons for the Habs

huge diff...the Habs will get a kings random for Subban if that road has to be taken...so no worries...

I can see the Habs pov here...norris half season with like ppg...then next season no norris and 43 pts in 82.......

If PK settles in at 35-45 pt dman....8.5 or 9 is not good value.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

even if said best player isnt interested in signing long term right now ? really ?

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
This is mostly how I feel. At a certain point you have to start wondering why an organization seems to have so much trouble with an ideal player.

It's not really the end of the world, but it's worrying.

If it takes just another year to convince Bergevin that Subban is a heck of a player, the guy is downright stupid. And for the ones who tells us that we're panicking for nothing well fine....I guess they know Subban personnally, and there's just no way he decides to move elsewhere. Or that they know that we already have a deal in place and that the return will be way greater than Subban. I guess you know all that already. Yet....I'M pretty sure those people don't. And what I do know is that we're giving PK every ammunition to piss him off. Yep.....it's a business. But it's a business for BOTH parties. And you have to tabarnac recognize that the guy is a SPECIAL talent. Special talent that we don't have a lot of. That we don't have ANY in the back end. And that the fans, the ones that are told to be calissely patient for the last 20ish years D-E-S-E-R-V-E.

Dr Gonzo

#1 Jan Bulis Fan
Dec 13, 2009
Bat Country
I know a lot of talk has been about MB and co. not getting the job done here but what if PK is looking for 9.5M+ a season? Are people really comfortable with a 10M caphit for PK? I mean he's a really good player, but that good? I don't believe so.

I wouldn't blink twice at $9.5M

People are willing to accept $8.5M per season, but not $9.5M? I don't get that logic.
Save the extra million on scrubs, not your superstar.

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal

I know 9.5M+ is a lot of money but 1-1.5M too much money on a 70M+ cap isnt the end of the world.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
even if said best player isnt interested in signing long term right now ? really ?

Well if that's the case, we will have to ask ourselves that question...why? Was always his goal to leave? Hated the bridge deal and from that point, decided to leave? 'Cause in the end, why does the guy need that additional year for with the idea to sign a long-term contract next year? You think he'll skyrocket his value with the cap going higher next year? Okay...but then...what about in 2 years? When he'll be UFA and the cap will ALSO go up? Why not wait 2 years if you have no problem waiting 1 year?

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
I wouldn't blink twice at $9.5M

People are willing to accept $8.5M per season, but not $9.5M? I don't get that logic.
Save the extra million on scrubs, not your superstar.

I know 9.5M+ is a lot of money but 1-1.5M too much money on a 70M+ cap isnt the end of the world.

Ok, I understand that and I agree, 1 million probably doesn't make that big of a difference. But where does it end? Do they sign PK at any cost? 10M, 11M, etc?

No one knows what PK is asking on a long term deal, everyone is just assuming that MB is ****ing things up.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Subban does want a long term deal.. He has since the bridge deal. Its not farfetched to estimate the long term deal hesistancy is on Bergevin side. Even if it makes no sense.

And yes I am fine with paying subban up to 10 million. Trade Moen and you've already saved more than you need to. I'd rather have a fourth line with a Dumont than a Moen than have no Subban.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
As far as I know, even if the hearing starts, the two sides can still negotiate a long term deal on the side. Correct? So technically, the deadline would be 48 hours from the start of the hearing.

I wonder if they can postpone a hearing if the two sides feel they are close to a deal.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Well if that's the case, we will have to ask ourselves that question...why? Was always his goal to leave? Hated the bridge deal and from that point, decided to leave? 'Cause in the end, why does the guy need that additional year for with the idea to sign a long-term contract next year? You think he'll skyrocket his value with the cap going higher next year? Okay...but then...what about in 2 years? When he'll be UFA and the cap will ALSO go up? Why not wait 2 years if you have no problem waiting 1 year?

don't worry..if Subban wants out,will get Malkin or that type of player back.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006

not saying he wants to leave... it could be as simple as wanting a shorter deal in hopes of getting more on his next contract.

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003

Unfortunately, it's not SOLELY about the quality of the said player. But how valuable he is to your team. If we trade him, we HAVE to get a PK back in the deal. Like Trouba. Now....how many of those guys can we get....from teams that can afford PK?

'Cause in th end, if the answer to your question is no...there's just one solution. Trade. And frankly, losing that trade will push us back...a whole lot of years.

Tuggy

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2003
Saint John
As far as I know, even if the hearing starts, the two sides can still negotiate a long term deal on the side. Correct? So technically, the deadline would be two hours.

I wonder if they can postpone a hearing if the two sides feel they are close to a deal.

Actually, I believe the team has 48hrs after the ruling to decide to accept or not. At which time the team and the player can still agree on a long term deal. So I guess the real deadline would be another couple of days. :laugh:

danyhabsfan

Feb 12, 2007
Montreal
Ok, I understand that and I agree, 1 million probably doesn't make that big of a difference. But where does it end? Do they sign PK at any cost? 10M, 11M, etc?

No one knows what PK is asking on a long term deal, everyone is just assuming that MB is ****ing things up.

He probably wants between 9 and 10.

Kane and Toews got 10.5 but for UFA years only.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Subban does want a long term deal.. He has since the bridge deal. Its not farfetched to estimate the long term deal hesistancy is on Bergevin side. Even if it makes no sense.

And yes I am fine with paying subban up to 10 million. Trade Moen and you've already saved more than you need to. I'd rather have a fourth line with a Dumont than a Moen than have no Subban.

who filed for arbitration ?

Whitesnake

Jan 5, 2003
not saying he wants to leave... it could be as simple as wanting a shorter deal in hopes of getting more on his next contract.

Fine. Answer the last part of my post then. If he wants a shorter to get more...why not sign another shorter deal to get EVEN more....with the possibilities that EVERY team in the league gets him? People say, well he'll never get to that, he will be dealt after. Well....not if Bergevin thinks he can sign him before he leaves. And if he can't....well he will have to accept the best deal...that might not be incredible in the end.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
Actually, I believe the team has 48hrs after the ruling to decide to accept or not. At which time the team and the player can still agree on a long term deal. So I guess the real deadline would be another couple of days. :laugh:

If true... Tuesday is gonna be a long day.

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
Yeah, we'll totally get fair value back for a player that wants out. :help:

you think if Berg calls PITTSBURGH offers Subban for Malkin...what does Pittsburgh say?

PK Subban value is the moon,28 other gm's would want him.

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Fine. Answer the last part of my post then. If he wants a shorter to get more...why not sign another shorter deal to get EVEN more....with the possibilities that EVERY team in the league gets him? People say, well he'll never get to that, he will be dealt after. Well....not if Bergevin thinks he can sign him before he leaves. And if he can't....well he will have to accept the best deal...that might not be incredible in the end.

by getting a deal that will bring him a seaon from UFA he will be forcing MB hand, sort of "gimme what I want or I'm playing my last season with the Habs" knowing offers will not be as great for him if he's without an extension and only a few months from becoming UFA.

for example, if PK was dealt today, MB could ask for a whole lot since team acquiring him would have hope to sign him for a while - they'd have two full season to "seduce" him... if we're 3 or 4 months before UFA, same team would not be offering as much as it could very well just be a rental.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad